Start by marking “Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey, #1)

Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  15,744 Ratings  ·  1,827 Reviews
"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

These ominous words are the last threat that Sir Edward Grey receives from his killer. Before he can show them to Nicholas Brisbane, the private inquiry agent he has retained for his protection, he collapses and dies at his London home, in the presence of his wife, Julia, and a roomful of dinner guests.

Prep
Published January 2010 by MIRA Books (first published December 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Silent in the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent in the Grave

Hannah
Jun 24, 2010 Hannah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah by: Hanneybean
Obviously this book has far more admirers then detractors, (if the ratings are any indication), but I'm damned if I know why.

As far as I can analyse, you might like this book if you enjoy:

1. A surly and charmless hero masquerading as a grade C Sherlock Holmes clone.

2. Forced chemistry (or rather no chemistry) between said surly/charmless hero and an equally vapid "oh-I'm-so-stupid-but-I'm-so-adorable-because-the-writer-tells-you-so" heroine.

3. A 435 page mystery where the actual detection takes
Wendy Darling
Apparently it's now necessary to pre-emptively address holier than thou trolls who conveniently leave out important words in quoting my own text back at me as they're scolding me for my apparent lack of judgment, or those who leave criticisms in their own reviews of this one.

I don't know whether it's a lack of comprehension skills or just willful misreading of words, but let me spell this out very clearly:

Feminism = GOOD.

Hammering points exhaustively into a narrative = BAD.

Or at least not to my
Meredith Galman
Everybody loves a good international man of mystery, but private enquiry agent Nicholas Brisbane is Just Too Much: he's a prizefighter! he's a violin virtuoso! he's a duke's grandnephew! he's a half-blood Rom AND a psychic (and a floor wax, and a dessert topping . . . .)! Lady Julia Grey -- although at times stupid and inconsistent -- is a more interesting character, because she's believably human. Born into a family of eccentrics, Julia has spent her entire life suppressing herself, until the d ...more
Angie
Finding Silent in the Grave turned out to be one of those beautiful, stumbling across the perfect book to fit your mood moments. Here I am, staring down the barrel of this pregnancy, willing the last few days to pass faster, and this absolutely delightful Victorian mystery proves just the thing to take my mind off the all-too-slowly ticking clock. Even better, it's the first in a series with the second one already out and the third due to hit shelves in March.

Silent in the Grave starts out with
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Victorian-era murder mystery: Lady Julia Grey is the young widow of Sir Edward, who collapses at a dinner party and soon dies, despite the best efforts of the doctor and Nicholas Brisbane, a dark and mysterious private investigator who had been hired by Edward because of some threats he'd received.

descriptiondescription
Nicholas Brisbane and Lady Julia

Brisbane informs Julia that her husband was likely murdered rather than passing away of a lifelong heart condition, but Julia angrily dismisses him. Nearly a year later
Allison
The Lady Julia Grey series is one of my favorites series ever. It's one of those that jumped out with the first line and grabbed me in: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband’s dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor." From that line onward, I was completely besotted with it. I was a bit nervous for this re-read in case it didn't match up. Thankfully, I loved it almost as much the second time around. Knowing the culprit too ...more
Emma
Apr 09, 2012 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a reread. I read the first Veronica Speedwell book a while ago now and really enjoyed it. When I went to review it I realised I had already read and rated two of these books with Lady Julia Grey, but I didn't remember doing so at all! I was halfway through the reread before the story started to come back to me and that was quite telling in itself...this story is ok, but a bit slow. It picked up in the last third. I may continue this series if I get bored but for my money, the Veronica Sp ...more
Jamie Collins
The first half of this book is readable enough (a nice opening chapter, in particular) although Lady Julia is written as a modern woman stuffed into a corset and plopped down in Victorian London, where she bemoans racism and classism and is totally cool with her sister's lesbian relationship.

The writing is good for a first novel, if perhaps a bit awkward and repetitive in places. I did like the author's lighthearted style.

The longer I read, however, the more I began to dislike the story. The mys
Felicia
Feb 04, 2012 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is our pick for this month's Vaginal Fantasy Hangout. Read along and then watch on Feb 27th, 8pm PST! THATS MONDAY THE LAST MONDAY OF THE MONTH!
Juliana Philippa
I absolutely loved this book and thank you to my Goodreads friend Ruth for recommending it! I was a little worried when I first started it, because my expectations had grown so high after reading Ruth's reviews for this book and the following three ones. Thankfully, it completely lived up to - and actually surpassed - my expectations :-). I checked this book out from the library, but will definitely be buying my own copy.

It's told in first-person narration and I found our heroine, Julia, absolut
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn is the first book of one of the best series I have ever read. I’ve reviewed other books of the series and talked about the characters on the blog before, but I recently started at the beginning for a reread and couldn’t resist writing a review! So…now I take on the challenge of reviewing one of my favorite books of all time…

I owned Silent in the Grave for a long time before I finally got around to picking it up. I don’t remember why I finally did start read
MomToKippy
I'm really not sure what to make of this one but it held my attention which is saying a lot for me lately. It is very easy to read in the sense that the writing is excellent and flows well. I even liked the way it was laid out especially. Many short chapters with each introduced by a Shakespearean quote or something similar.

But oddly though I kept thinking as I read it that nothing really ever happens! Or very little. So action packed it is not until the very end. It felt as if the whole story
_inbetween_
Mar 23, 2008 _inbetween_ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone but me?
Recommended to _inbetween_ by: chatpa, alex, etc.
I got this book on the strenght of the first page, and even after a third still thought I wanted to read more and more. But despite it probably being one of the better written books I read these months, I'm currently so pissed off at it that I can't bear to read the last few chapters and want to excorcise my frustration.

Is it really just me who sees the "solution" at the very first clue placed? I know it's a matter of pride to claim to have known the killer, but that's not why I say it - I hate
Tammie
Jun 03, 2011 Tammie rated it really liked it
"Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave."

Silent in the Grave was a fun historical mystery read. It was a bit slow for the first 160 pages but after that I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the witty humor which reminded me slightly of Gail Carriger's books and had me laughing out loud a couple of times.

I really wish some of the aspects of Brisbane's character that were introd
Wealhtheow
Feb 05, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Liz
Shelves: historical, regency
The book opens thusly: "To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor."

An excellent beginning! It is, unfortunately, all downhill from there. Lady Julia Grey, the narrator and heroine, is a sensible, good hearted gentlewoman far ahead of her time. She's a very readable character, although a bit too anachronistic. I would like to read a book in which she simply goes through life. Unfortunate
Tina
Mar 20, 2008 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Thus begins the compulsively readable mystery by Deanna Raybourne. Lady Julia Grey is a respectable member of the Victorian Britain upper class. Her husband dies during a dinner party. Edward had a congenital heart condition that affected all the men in his family. it was understood that he was likely to die at an early age. A mysterious stra
Mishelle LaBrash
Feb 04, 2010 Mishelle LaBrash rated it really liked it
I'm torn with my rating for this book, so much so I almost didn't bother with a review. If it wasn't for my commitment to do so, with every book I read this year, I probably wouldn't have.

Why? Because, this book confused me. And I would hate to be unjust in my review because of this.

From the first page, it gets you. I believe it may have the most original, and fantastic opening line, I have ever read. This level of intrigue continues for the first half of the book. This is where it started to d
Beanbag Love
Jul 06, 2011 Beanbag Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to categorize this book. It's a historical in first person POV and it has romantic overtones, but it's not a romance. It's a mystery, so maybe that's what it should be called. A historical mystery.

Anyway, books 1 and 2 of this series have been sitting on my Kindle for about two years now. I don't know why I was never compelled to read them, but recently my friend, Julianna, started rating them highly so I decided to dive in. And I'm glad I did. What a treat.

Lady Julia is a gre
Vinaya
Meh. DNF-ed. It just went on and on and on without anything happening. And when we got to the part about the two-week long personality-altering migraine, I had had enough. The main characters had about as much chemistry as two wet crackers.
Angela
Enjoyable first in series book. The ending was well done as all the pieces for the mystery snapped into place.
Olga Godim
Mar 15, 2015 Olga Godim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, historical
I liked this book, although it is a bit darker than I usually read. It is a historical mystery taking place in the end of the 19th century. After a few years of unhappy marriage, the protagonist Julia’s husband dies. She feels adrift but liberated, until a stranger drops a sinister hint into her mind: her husband might’ve been murdered. At first, she wouldn’t believe him, but after finding an ominous note among her late husband’s papers, she starts doubting herself. Perhaps she should conduct a ...more
Katie Montgomery
Jun 22, 2013 Katie Montgomery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EDIT: OK, so I just went through and read a few more reviews for this title, and I am hijacking my own review because I have to clarify something.

Apparently, some people feel that this plot is "too feminist".

#1 -- I have read this book cover to cover, and I have no idea what you people are talking about, other than maybe the fact that a fictional Victorian lady has some self-respect, some sense of social justice, and a goddamned pair of eyes.

#2 -- Even if this book were a scifi novel about a bun
Ruth
Every now and then, you stumble blindly across a book that you pick up not expecting a great deal from, but you find yourself completely unable to put down, almost like it was written just for you. Well, this book was one of those for me. I only picked this up since I've received the last in the Lady Julia series, The Dark Enquiry, from netgalley, and I wanted to actually do it justice, and read the others in the series, before I read that one.

I haven't read a historical mystery story for years
Lightreads
I don’t even fuckin’ – this job. I knew it would take all my time and energy and sleep and endurance. I didn’t know it would also take all of my brain, so there is no more brain for books, and I end up almost kinda liking things like this.

This is a “fluffy” but “dark” mystery-romance set in the “Victorian Era.” The hero is a multilingual sleuth with shady connections, a drug habit, and a violin – a Sherlock Holmes knockoff, not to put too fine a point on it.

Very knocked. Very off.

The heroine is
Mei
Jul 31, 2015 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Absolutely beautiful!
Great series with fantastic characters and wonderful writing style!
Snooty1
In my quest to devour all female led historical mysteries, I could not pass up the Lady Julia Grey series.
I enjoyed this, but as in every first book of a series much of it was scene setting and character introductions. First and foremost we are in the midst of the most liberal family in all of England, and their "indiscretions" are forgiven because of their rank and wealth...ok I'll give them that. I was trying very hard to warm up to Lady Julia, and I did very much like her, but their are time
Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLeF Book Reviews

Original Post: Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey 1) at FLYLeF (www.flylef.com)

The polarized reviews for Silent in the Grave (Lady Julia Grey 1), by Deanna Raybourn, caught my interest and before long I found myself immersed, or rather drowning, in this British historical thriller.

“Let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.”

Before Sir Edward Grey could show this threatening message to Nicholas Brisbane, the private investigator he hired for his protection, Sir Edward co
Ana Maria
Jun 03, 2017 Ana Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Con este libro comienza una serie de novelas detectivescas ambientadas en la Inglaterra victoriana (1886). No es una novela estrictamente romántica. Hay algo pero, por lo que estuve leyendo en las sinopsis de los libros posteriores, se va desarrollando lentamente a lo largo de la serie.

Están narrados en primera persona por Julia, Lady Grey, algo que no me suele gustar pero que en este caso es sumamente llevadero. No sólo cuenta cómo se siente ella sino que tiene una extraordinaria habilidad para
The Lit Bitch

I have read a couple of books by Raybourn and loved them all, especially her latest heroine Veronica Speedwell. So as I anxiously wait the arrival of my baby (and Raybourn’s next Speedwell book), I thought I would pick up one of her most famous heroines and check out the Lady Julia books!

Not going to lie, this is a hard book for me to review. On one hand, I loved it and on the other I didn’t love it as much as I loved the first Veronica Speedwell book.

Raybourn is very good at building a
Tracy
Nov 28, 2016 Tracy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I wanted to love this book. I was very excited about it. But it fell flat for me. I got to 20% and was so bored. I sped read from there getting the gist of things. Possibly it's my mood, not sure, but that's what happened....
  • A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, #2)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • Secrets of a Lady (Rannoch/Fraser Chronological Order, #11)
  • Murder In the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5)
  • Cut to the Quick (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #1)
A sixth-generation native Texan, New York Times bestselling author Deanna Raybourn graduated from the University of Texas at San Antonio with a double major in English and history and an emphasis on Shakespearean studies. She taught high school English for three years in San Antonio before leaving education to pursue a career as a novelist. Deanna makes her home in Virginia, where she lives with h ...more
More about Deanna Raybourn...

Lady Julia Grey (5 books)
  • Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey, #2)
  • Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia Grey, #3)
  • Dark Road to Darjeeling (Lady Julia Grey, #4)
  • The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)

“To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.” 129 likes
“Fate is by far the greatest mystery of all.” 55 likes