Start by marking “The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens” as Want to Read:
The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens

The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens

Asian grandmothers — whether of Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, or Indian descent — are the keepers of the cultural, and culinary, flame. Their mastery of delicious home-cooked dishes and comfort food makes them the ideal source for this cookbook. Author Pat Tanumihardja has assembled 130 tantalizing dishes from real Chinese fried rice to the ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook

Rosa
Dec 12, 2012 Rosa rated it really liked it
I was initially disappointed with this book because since the editor is from Singapore, I assumed there'd be more recipes from that part of the world (I was really hoping for a good laksa recipe!), but there are very few, especially compared to the number of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean recipes represented... there are a LOT of Chinese recipes. So yes, my first reaction was disappointment because Chinese recipes are pretty easy to find anyway - but at some point I realized that these are genuin ...more
Camille
Jun 15, 2011 Camille rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook is badass. In addition to being gorgeous, its recipes are fairly easy to follow and accessible, and it has beautiful narratives of different grandmothers throughout. Its regional treatment is a little skewed, but it's hard to be comprehensive and useful at the same time. Some materials may be harder to find for folks living in regions without Asian / Pacific Islander populations, but overall this is a great book for intermediate cooks.
Stepha
Jun 22, 2011 Stepha rated it liked it
i'm glad i didn't buy this impulsively because, based on the title alone, it's something i would typically buy on a whim. the recipes weren't really transcendent and it could have used way more pictures in it. loved the little vignettes on the contributing grandmothers. i flagged a few to type up, but i'm happy i just have it from the library.
Greg
Jan 06, 2013 Greg rated it it was ok
Mostly cliche restaurant recipes intermixed with girl-power grandma stories. Didn't see much that really looked homestyle. In fact, I readily recognized many of the recipes as standard Asian restaurant fare.
Patricia
Oct 08, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. The recipes are very delicious and do-able. Tried and true. There are stories of Asian Grandmother's lives and there is such an assortment of different Asian styles anyone could pick and choose what type they like. I like them all!
Sara
Feb 10, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
A nice set of recipes, interesting stories, and good-looking photos.
Lara
Mar 17, 2010 Lara rated it it was amazing
I loved working with Pat on the photos for this book. Mmm... craving the beef and tomato stir fry as I type.
Abbey
Aug 13, 2011 Abbey rated it it was amazing
This is a great Asian cookbook. I copies about 10 of the recipes (which is a lot for me). I loved the stories about the grandmothers too! Very interesting and well done book.
Betty
Dec 26, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Great reference and resource for making those fave dishes you grew up with.
Etty
Jun 14, 2012 Etty rated it really liked it
Great cooking book!!
Elizabeth  Ann Quirino
Aug 28, 2012 Elizabeth Ann Quirino rated it it was amazing
Great resource for all types of Asian cooking. It's complete with references on ingredients, measurements, origins and great photos. Highly recommend this for anyone who loves Asian home cooking.
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
John Lee
John Lee rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Marcus Leon
Marcus Leon rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
John Lee
John Lee rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Scarlett
Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2016
Mykhe
Mykhe rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Rebecca Overway
Rebecca Overway rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Cory Tripp
Cory Tripp rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2011
Manintheboat
Manintheboat rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2010
Mirriam Seddiq
Mirriam Seddiq rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Shimi
Shimi rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Tedi
Tedi rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Tiger
Tiger rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2011
Magdalina
Magdalina rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore, Patricia Tanumihardja writes about food, travel, and lifestyle through a multicultural lens and has been published in numerous national and regional publications. She has lived on three continents, speaks four languages and her myriad travels and cultural experiences inform her writing every step of the way. Pat especially enjoys covering topics that conv ...more
More about Pat Tanumihardja...