Start by marking “Where Passion Leads (Berkley-Falkner, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Passion Leads (Berkley-Falkner, #1)

Where Passion Leads

(Berkeley-Falkner #1)

"LOVE, BE STILL," HE WHISPERED, AND SLIPPED ONE ARM AROUND HER BACK AS HE WONDERINGLY STROKED HER YIELDING FLESH, AROUSING HER WITH THE SENSITIVE BRUSH OF HIS FINGERS. "YOU'RE PERFECT ..."

Beautiful young Rosalie Belleau was swept up into an aristocratic world of luxury, license and intricate intrigue when the most notorious and handsome rake in London, Lord Randall
Published September 1st 1987 by Onyx (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Where Passion Leads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Passion Leads

Start your review of Where Passion Leads (Berkley-Falkner, #1)
Jennefer
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How lucky am I?!? I found this at a local library sale for $.50! And what a find it was! Not only because this is so hard to find (copies selling on ebay for $50) but because it is such a great romance!

Rosalie Belleau is a lady's companion and the daughter of a governess in the same household but not at all content with her lot in life. She dreams of passion and adventure and will find it in the most unexpected way!

After a fire in a theater Rosalie finds herself separated from her mother and
Feminista
Oct 18, 2013 marked it as never-to-read
DNF

This was my first attempt at reading a Lisa Kleypas novel and I wasn't impressed at all.

The heroine gets raped by the hero. There is no way around it.

I have read novels where rape is present. I know that there is some truth to the idea that noblemen were almost expected to take 'advantage' of lowly house maids. But I need for the authors to address it. On the same side of the coin, the noblemen in those days hardly every married or fell in love with these maids. I felt it was highly
Bekah
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
Rosalie is an innocent young girl living quite the sheltered life when she is kidnapped by the rogue Rand Berkley. Soon after he forcibly discovers that she is a virgin he whisks her off to France, and they begin a somewhat on again, off again relationship all the while discovering mysterious tidbits about Rosalie's past.

Lisa Kleypas is, in my opinion, known for three things in her books. 1. Her heroes, 2. The Steam Factor, and 3. The Romance or the Sigh Factor.

1. The Hero - Rand, our hero did
Monkeypantsuit
Sometimes I have nostalgic thoughts about the rapey romances I read as a teenager. I wonder whether, if I read them now, their adherence to rigid gender roles would be catnip for me. You see, I have a questionable fascination with vulnerable heroines and rescuer alpha-males. Maybe, I've thought, just maybe, some shameful part of me yearns for the sexism I learned as a child. The hero that dismisses the silly woman's silly thoughts yet loves her for her childlike ability to find joy in looking at ...more
Beth
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Despite the rape scene that occurs in the second chapter of the book, I can't quite bring myself to give this book the dreaded one-star review. I know, I know, I’m surprised too!

I seldom continue reading a romance novel that starts off with the “hero” raping the heroine, especially since most of the rape scenes I’ve encountered in these types of novels ultimately end with the woman unable to stop herself from giving in to the moment and being swept away on a cloud of passion. Um, no. That’s *so*
Gilgamesha
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I read the reviews...and most of them pointed the scene in chapter 2...so I just skipped the first three chapters until they leave for France. I loved the story and the chemistry between the main pair. I can't wait for the second book.
Shyann
The hero strait up rapes the heroine in the first couple chapters. I get that this is a book from the 80s but this isn’t a case of mixed signals, being drunk or anything else that is typically used as an excuse. Nope he just rapes her and the only sliver of remorse he feels is because he realizes she was a virgin. Nope nope nope. I wanted to try to read all of LK books but this is going to be a DNF for me. So disappointing
I read a couple reviews that claim he redeems himself eventually but I
TD
Apr 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the 'rape' part as the foundation of their love story. Actually, let me edit that. I HATED the RAPE part. It ruined a possibly good romance story. It was written as if being raped is just a normal occurrence. It was taken so lightly I find it extremely offensive.
Glendalee
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok brace yourselves.

The major issue that many (myself included) will have/had with this book is that the H rapes the h. There is no sugarcoating this scene and no way of justifying what he did. He rescues the h from a would be rapist, only to become the rapist.

With that being said...I still continued reading this book. I still enjoyed this book. WHY? BECAUSE I AM SICK THAT'S WHY...okay no but *shrugs*

It was difficult getting past that because I know that I like to love my hero's and he felt
BRNTerri
May 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is Lisa’s first published novel, published when she was only 24 in 1987. She dedicated the book to her mother Linda Kleypas. Book was published by Onyx in September 1987 and is 405 pages long. The book takes place in England and France in 1816.

The heroine is 20 year old Rosalie Belleau, born in 1796 in France. She’s got long dark hair and blue eyes. She’s an only child. Rosalie is personal maid to Lady Winthrop and companion to her daughter Elaine. The hero is 28 year old Randall Berkeley
Chi
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
By my understanding, this was one of Lisa Kleypas's first books, and it shows. There's a lot more descriptions; a lot more "showing" rather than "doing". The dialogue between the characters is sparse, but where there are chunks of dialogue, some of her future wit and turn of phrase are evident.

Having said that, I was surprised to find myself really enjoying the book. The rape scene was particularly abhorrent, and while I don't necessarily approve of it being a plot device, it framed Rand's
C Joy
I noticed in her early works that there's a rape scene, not a brutal one but still the man forced himself on the woman and it was quite stupid that he didn't take her word that she's a virgin.

The story really focused on Rand and Rosalie falling in love, more character-driven, a lot of love scenes, a little danger and surrounding mystery. Lisa Kleypas really took time in developing their relationship and their characters. It was plausible because it was gradual. I liked how she didn't leave major
Katie(babs)
Oct 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
From the back:
Beautiful young Rosalie Belleau was swept into an aristocratic world of luxury, license and intricate intrigue when the most notorious and handsome rake in London, Lord Randall Berkeley, abducted her in the belief that she was any man's for the taking. Before he realized his mistake, he had branded her with his desire- and lost his heart to this girl...

I believe this was Kleypas's first book written and it shows how far she has come as a writer. There are many problems with this
Claudine
Oct 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: did-not-finish
The heroine gets raped by the hero.

The "hero" of this story is an unapologetic rapist who only feels marginally guilty because the woman he raped turned out to have been a virgin.

Didn't bother reading the rest of the book, because I have no desire to read about a woman falling in love with the man who raped and kidnapped her. Absolutely disgusting.
Fil
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of Lisa Kleypas' best. A true historical romance.
Rose Maria
H28 h20
Heroine was a by blow of some French man...
Hero makes heroine his mistress by force then regrets finding her virgin....then fall in love....then comes mirelle and her brother anyway happy ending
I'm satisfied with the storyline.....much more nice story than I expected
Angela Gibson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lisa Kleypas is a go-to, favorite author. I had never read her first book. This first book is not that I would ever read again as I do with other Kleypas' books when I need a nourishing romance.

Others have mentioned that the hero, Rand, rapes his own true love in their first encounter, which I refuse to refer to as sex. The hero simply used the heroine as an empty vessel.

What turned this into a 1 star read for me was the depiction of women as vapid and useless. The following quote from the book
Karla
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, 4-historical
Randall Berkley is next in line to be the Earl of Berkley. He is a closed man, that often wears a mask in front of others. Deeply scarred as a child, he does not believe anyone can ever love him.
Rosalie is a dreaming maid. Told by her mother time and time again not to dream to high or want things that were out of her reach. because that could only lead to extreme unhappiness.
A chance has brought Rand and Rose together and he's not about to refuse what fate has delivered him, but was it really
CI
Jan 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
A better summary would be male protagonist (wealthy, member of the ton) is bored. Comes across a female being harassed on the back streets of London and takes her to his room, rapes her and then feels a very minor level of guilt that she was a virgin as she claims. Female protagonist (companion to a less-wealthy but still member of the ton family) suffers through the degrading and humiliating experience and then struggles to decide what her options are - she doesn't feel she can return to her ...more
Lauren
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I find it hard to actually read a lot of the books by authors written in the '80s, they typically involve drug use or rape or the severe construct of male dominance. It is not usually easy for me to get past that and actually see a 'hero' in the male character that I would want to be with. It was decidedly that same for this book with a kidnapped Rosalie Belleau being raped by the supposed hero, Lord Randall Berkeley. Even though I begrudgingly finished the book, he never became the hero in my ...more
LuvGirl
She would have considered him handsome if his features had not been so aggressively formed. His cheekbones,for example, were blunt and strong when they should have been more delicately drawn,and his mouth was too
wide.

Buzz kill!!
phoebess
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
I found Where Passion Leads a little too long for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the relationship development between Rand and Rose but that was it. Nothing else held much interest for me.
Göksu Gürses
Mar 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ne'Hmat
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ‘ve waited for a long time to read this novel. It’s good and it has the same prints of Lisa Kleypas although there wasn’t that deep -going into the characters . It might have been written in her early years. I liked the lines of poems that began each chapter. All in all ,I can’t give it 5 stars
Mamo BookAddict
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
A lovely story set in London and various parts of France.
Esther
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Well this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Got used to books that had the female lead be so spineless and forgiving that no matter what her male counterpart got up to, all was forgiven and forgotten in the name of love or some such B.S. and i'm not talking about being forgotten by the end of the book, oh no - like mins later - absurde to say the least.

Liked the story and the characters, would have liked some closure with Mireille and Guillaume's characters but as there is another book in
AlexLovesBooks

After a fire in a theater Rosalie finds herself separated from her mother and chased by a strange man out to find his pleasure through the streets of London. Along comes Lord Randall Berkeley amused by the scene he encounters in a London ally and nearly moves along to give the
LaFleurBleue
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This first book from Lisa Kleypas is directly inherited from the 70s or early-80s boddice-rippers, with something a little different, probably more human especially in the hero, which definitely makes him unlovable in the first part of the book. Then as he realized the horror of what he has done and who he was, he spends the largest part of the book trying to redeem himself. And I must confess he's quite good at that. I finally ended up forgiving him.
However my personal feeling was that the
Rosalie is separated from her mother and chased throughout London only to fall into the path of Sir Randall. After Randall... rapes her (no other word for it even if he tried to make it good for her) he feels responsible to make up for his misdeed's and help her find a better position than the one that he has surly caused her to loose. But first, business in France calls and he simply can't leave Rosalie to her own devices. There time in France might have gone according to plan if only Randall ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Heir (Reid Family, #1)
  • The Devil Who Tamed Her (Reid Family, #2)
  • Say You Love Me (Malory Family, #5)
  • Falling Into Bed with a Duke (The Hellions of Havisham, #1)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • Always a Rogue, Forever Her Love (Scandalous Seasons, #4)
  • The Present (Malory-Anderson Family, #6)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • If You Deceive (MacCarrick Brothers, #3)
  • Stormy Persuasion (Malory-Anderson Family, #11)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Tender Is the Storm
  • If You Desire (MacCarrick Brothers, #2)
  • If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1)
  • The Truth About Love (Cynster, #12)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11)

Berkeley-Falkner (2 books)
  • Forever My Love (Berkley-Falkner, #2)