Start by marking “Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2)” as Want to Read:
Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2)

Prince of Dreams

(The Stokehursts #2)

A wealthy and bitter exile, he most dangerous and desirable man in all of England, he burns to possess a proud, headstrong beauty who is promised to another. But winning Emma Stokehurst's exquisite hand through threats and determination does nothing to fill the empty spaces in Nikolas' heart until passion's magic carries the handsome, tormented prince back to a bygone era ...more
Published August 1st 1995 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Prince of Dreams, please sign up.
Jeri I can't say exactly how many pages...you don't really see it taking the time-travel turn until you are well into the book. That being said, the time…moreI can't say exactly how many pages...you don't really see it taking the time-travel turn until you are well into the book. That being said, the time travel isn't quite... time travel. Almost like a past life? But the past and present are really tied together. I agree - I am not a big fan of time travel, but I don't think I would classify it in this way. This particular book is somewhat out of style for Kleypas, but it is a good read. (less)

Readdiction
Jun 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one.
An overbearing hero who would do anything to get what he wants. He's also an unfaithful husband who visits brothels. True, he's been abused, had a horrible childhood, but c'mon! There were no redeeming qualities. I could not help just keep hating him.

The only reason he changes his ways is because he basically goes back in time and has, what seems to me, an incestuous relationship with a great-grandparent who was similar to his current wife. When he comes back to the present, I couldn't seem to g
Julianna
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas Fans
Prince of Dreams started off with an excellent, engaging story that was hard to put down, but like it's predecessor in the Stokehurst series, Midnight Angel, it tends to loose steam during the second half. The book is arranged in four sections, and the first two sections are full of the deep, dark emotions that have become a Lisa Kleypas trademark. Prince Nikolas is quite possibly the darkest hero that Ms. Kleypas has written and that I have read, yet I found him to be thoroughly fascinating. He ...more
Rose
I did not like this book.

**Might be slightly spoiler-ish**

The whole hero goes back in time and falls in love with the pre-reincarnation version of his wife who he's treated horribly was just ridiculous. A hero treating a heroine horribly but then realizing it and actually doing something about it is one thing. (Not goo, but at least he sees that there is something wrong.) A hero treating a heroine horribly but then suddenly traveling back in time and completely changing his personality is just W
Tina
Mar 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Hated it. The cheating bastard goes back in time and falls in love with some woman who's just like his current wife (heroine) so when he returns he's a changed man. What baloney..who the heck is he truly in love with.. if the woman in the past *is* the heroine of the present then why couldnt he have fallen in love her in the first place... This book was totally confusing and illogical.

Avoid.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I do have to say that Nikolas is a very unique hero. He's dark and conflicted. He wants Emma but doesn't know what to do with her when he gets her. He does everything he can to destroy her love for him. But at the same time, he yearns for her love with all his heart. A romance novel, for certain. But I felt it was also a character study. Nikolas is a character that makes you want to keep reading to see if he'll get a clue and turn his life around. He almost waits too late, but a magical twist of ...more
Fre06 Begum
The cheating really bothered me and because of that I just could not get in to it . I love LK but felt so let down with this series she also portrayed Emma as being too much of a doormat.
Cheesecake
Kira
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF @35%

Normally I wouldn't give up on a book this early on, but I've been ready for it to be over for a while. I read the first book in this series a few days ago and really liked it. Emma had been 12 in that book. Now she was 20, but there was no change in her character. She still acted like a 12 year old brat. Her incessant whining about how her parents treated her drove me nuts. By the time a kid is 20 it's not a parent's job to be at their kid's beck and call.

Emma was in love with some guy
Sara
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing story. It was actually written with a different flow than most other Kleypas books. I thought half way through that it was going to go downhill, but I was wrong!
This book had my heart thumping,burning, and breaking. I teared up at least 3 times! Beautifully written!
Another all time favorite!
Cheryl
This one was just ok to me, and actually had it been written by any other author I may have even liked it more. But I've come to expect something more from Lisa Kleypas and this one just didn't deliver. It didn't feel like an LK book, Nikolas didn't have that certain magic that her heroes normally have and something happened in the book that really turns me off of a hero. I can only think of one other hero (not a Lisa Kleypas) whom I was able to forgive for this trespass. Disappointed.
Dina
Mar 06, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I was so conflicted trying to rate this story, I honestly wanted to give it 1 star, and then I remembered the moments I wanted to give it 5 stars.

So, after a lot of thinking, I'm gonna go with 2 stars!

Yeah, people, 2 stars!

Here is what happened here..

description

Prince Nikolas was breathtakingly painted.. just the dark hero with dark past I wanted to read about! He was all..

And that was perfect!

description

And then this "jump in time" took place, where he actually went back in time" as an ancestor where he met and fel
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Narrated by Susan Duerden
As I listened to Prince of Dreams, I heard the theme song from Doctor Zhivago, Somewhere My Love, playing in my head. I can’t quite grasp why I long for a Russian historical romance when one can’t easily ignore the misery associated with that country’s history. But there you have it. I love even a hint of a Russian historical and Prince of Dreams provides that and much more while the bulk of the story is set in Victorian England.

Although I had read all but two of Lisa K
Graylark
I had to comment on this one because it was SUCH a disappointment when I had high hopes.

I really liked the premise that Nikolas had waited for Emma to grow up and had always wanted only her, and saw her as beautiful.

However, a lot of things turned me off. I persevered until 76% and gave up.

- Emma was such a bitch towards her family
- Her constant whingeing about how the fortune hunter dude would have been the only one to ever want her also got annoying after a while. That's not true love, that
Denise
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure exactly what it was about this book that I loved... but I did! There was something about Nikolas and all that cold charm that I just loved. I can't help it, I just love those cold bad guys. Of course we all knew there were reasons for his behavior and we always find out what makes them tick. The time travel part was a little weird, but it all worked.
Bekah
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
4.5 *

Prince of Dreams is the second and last book in the Stokehurst series. Nikolas is the coldly dangerous villain from book 1, Midnight Angel and he is just as cold and dangerous in this installment as well. He wants Emma Stokehurst and will do anything to possess her. Though when he gets her satisfaction is not quite his.

This is Lisa’s second time travel romance and the last one to date. I really liked this one a bit more than the last. I felt the use of time travel enabled some growth, new p
Rachel K
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think we're supposed to feel sorry for Nikolas but I just didn't get there.
Kasey
I was filled with mixed feelings for this book. I really like Nikki and Emma. I love a tortured hero and Nikki fit the bill. Emma was a strong leading woman and the two had lots to overcome before things were quite the HEA and somehow this one didn't completely work for me.

Nikki has had a rough life and I would love to have actually gotten to learn more about his history and watch him overcome his past to be happy in his life and future. He made lots of mistakes with Emma and while they seemed
KatieV
I didn't like it as much as it's predecessor Midnight Angel, but still enjoyed it, even though (view spoiler) ...more
C Joy
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
H.F
LaFleurBleue
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
I had strong expectations regarding this book, as both Emma and Nicolas had great potential from the previous Stokehurst book.
I really liked the first 100 pages or so of the book, even though Nicolas behaved like a perfect bounder and I kept wondering how he would manage to redeem itself. And then came the epiphany. Looking at a painting, he fainted and relived through a dream the life of one of his ancestors.
I absolutely hated everything about this part: it was awfully long and boring, the end
MBR
Though I read this book sometime last year, this story failed to make that great an impression on me back then. But after reading Midnight Angel by Ms. Kleypas where the story of Emma and Nikolas begins, I had the urge to go back and re-read this romance to see what I would make of it now. I have always held the notion that two characters that have a prior history between them always make a better romance and this story too had a deeper impact on me upon re-reading the story with the knowledge o ...more
Aquit
I waited years to read "Prince of Dreams" and when I did, I barely last 30 minutes with it.

I can go on and on but I didn't finish it (even though I did skim it) so I don't want to waste time writing a review for it.

Emma was too annoying, acted like a spoiled brat, too hot-tempered, and just plain uninteresting for my taste. If anyone needed a slap—it was her.

There was no plot from the beginning and I wished Kleypas had written a better book because I really, really, really, reallllly liked Nik
 ❀ Minesha ❀
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh my.
Lisa Kleypas, the queen of having half her books filled with hunting and anti-veganism added a russian vegetarian heroine? The same author who made an insufferable hunter Jack Travis look 'sexy' to most of her readers and convert a veg girl into a full blown meat eater?

Let me repeat. Russian. Vegetarian. Heroine. In a Lisa Kleypas Novel.
Well well. I wonder what she was thinking.
Keri
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Kristina
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
cheating husband who goes to whores night after night.

Treats his wife like shit.

What moron sees this as a love story?????
Erin
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Kleypas books that everyone else seems to hate. Oh, well I loved it!
Nadya
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
TheBookishCourt
This could’ve been 5stars but when the whole “time travel/reincarnation” happened, it threw me for a loop because it didn’t bring more substance to the plot. It felt more like a cheap way for Nikki to realize his mistake and accept his feelings for Emma.

• Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • A Christmas Present
  • Broken Wing
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)
  • Lightning Bay (Friday Harbor)
  • Cherished (Deveraux Trilogy, #3)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Her Secret Fantasy (Spice Trilogy #2)
  • The Seduction
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Only a Duke Will Do (School for Heiresses, #2)
  • Secret Fire
  • What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2)

The Stokehursts (2 books)
  • Midnight Angel (Stokehurst, #1)
“... He didn't know how to say good-bye. His throat ached from the strain of holding back his emotions. “I don't want to leave you,” he said humbly, reaching for her cold, stiff hands.

Emma lowered her head, her tears falling freely. “I'll never see you again, will I?”

He shook his head. “Not in this lifetime,” he said hoarsely.

She pulled her hands away and wrapped her arms around his neck. He felt her wet lashes brush his cheek. “Then I'll wait a hundred years,” she whispered. “Or a thousand, if I must. Remember that, Nikki. I'll be waiting for you to come to me.”
11 likes
“Nikki," she whispered, "are you going to visit my bed tonight?"
"Is that an invitation?"
Emma paused in her playful kissing "would you like it in writing?”
6 likes