Start by marking “Midnight Angel (Stokehurst, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Angel (Stokehurst, #1)

Midnight Angel

(The Stokehursts #1)

A noblewoman of frail beauty and exotic mystery fakes her own death to escape the gallows. And now she must flee. In disguise and under a false identity, she finds unexpected sanctuary in the arms of a handsome and arrogant yet gallant British lord—who must defy society to keep her safe . . . and overcome a tragic past to claim her as his own.

Published January 1st 1995 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Angel

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is about a cross between Jane Eyre and the Anastasia legend, with a Mary Sue as a main character and so much Angst (yes, it needs to be capitalized) that you can cut it with a knife, and I won't deny I loved every fucking moment of it.

Lisa Kleypas writes feeeeeeeeeelings and angst and tortured heroes and heroines so well. No matter how much I dislike her characters, her writing is absolutely superb. She is among the best HR writers that I've ever read.

How is it like Jane Eyre?
1. Orphan
Beth
This book had several elements of a bad soap opera: selective amnesia, opium abuse, a homosexual love triangle, psychic abilities, child molestation, crazy Russian kin and a tiger. Yes, a tiger. ROAR! Pretty ridiculous all in all, but if I’ve learned one thing from this book it’s that even a klunker from Lisa Kleypas is a more enjoyable read than the average historical romance.

The first half of the book flew by and was quite enjoyable but the second half fell to pieces once ridiculous antic aft
Rane
Kelly
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-read, favorites
Lisa Kleypas has done it again! A simple love story that has won a place among my favorite shelves!

This tale reminds me of some of my all time favorite love stories, Romeo and Juliet with the sleep potion, The Bronze Horseman for the Russian elements (that were very interesting and described perfectly) Though Tasia is not studying for the nunnery her faith is strong and she does become a nanny......The Sound of Music also comes to my mind!

Luke is so in love with Tasia that I was jealous! As wit
Zoe
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a classic Lisa Kleypas type of love story. This means the romance is sweet, hero and heroine are both likeable characters and a sweet romance. I think if you have just started reading romance, it is a good book. But I must say, Lisa Kleypas has done much better than this book and I hope she will again soon.
There are things I didn't understand in this book:
1. Why does the girl have to be Russian?? Ok i get it, it's the theme and yes England has been done overmuch. But the girl could have be
kris
Sep 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
THIS BOOK.

1. The tone shifts, dramatically. Tasia starts out as this quiet, reserved girl who has a great deal of faith. And then, without any sort of segue-way, she's a lusty temptress who trembles every time Luke touches her. Her faith fades like mist. And then, again, she goes balls-out and demands Luke's support and respect.

2. The "alpha"-ness of Luke. There were so many instances of Luke using force against Tasia. He, at one point, kisses her until she tastes blood immediately after she te
Julianna
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

Midnight Angel is not, in my opinion, Lisa Kleypas best novel by far, but it is a worthwhile read. As in most of Ms. Kleypas's other novels, the characters are rather dark, but they just didn't evoke the depth of emotions that the characters in some of her other books did for me. I found Luke to be a fairly likable hero, though perhaps a bit too arrogant and heavy-handed at times. I've heard that some readers are bothered by Luke having a hook in place of a missing
Bekah
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
Anastasia is a Russian beauty accused of murder and sentenced to death when she fakes her own death and escapes to England. There she meets Lord Luke Stokehurst and his daughter Emma and finds a new place to call home.

I really enjoyed this book. More than I thought I would. I really love the governess themed books. They always have that great element of forbidden lust and the tension is so awesome. This was done quite well in this book, so much so that I wish it had lasted longer. Where I think
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017
If you liked this book.....don't read this. Rant ahead. You have been warned.
Taisa was found guilty of a murder she has no memory of. Sentenced to death, she manages to fake her death and travels to England to take refuge with her cousin and her husband. She finds employment with a friend of theirs as a governess to his 12 year old daughter.
I love LK books. This sounded like my cup of tea. Well, this sucked ass instead and I found myself still reading. It was like that car accident that everyone
Aimee
I had almost forgotten how much I loved Lisa Kleyas' writing! This book was so refreshing after all of the grittier books I tend to read.
One of the things that seems to draw me into Lisa Kleypas's books, whether historical or contemporary, is the completely believable romance. She has the ablility to build a relationship that makes you route for the characters like you know them personally. It could be a sea slug falling in love with a space alien. But Ms. Kleypas makes you believe it!
Olga Godim
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
This is one if this author’s earlier books, and I didn’t like it as much as the more recent ones. Lucas is an arrogant British nobleman. Tasya is a Russian girl from a rich aristocratic family, but she is living under an assumed identity. She had been convicted of murder in St. Petersburg. She escaped the gallows, but she is afraid her past will catch up with her.
The story takes place in 1870. It’s very melodramatic but actually not bad. The tension and pacing of the narrative keep the reader at
Debbie
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another Lisa Kleypas winner

With a few of her books under my belt it feels good and I can confidently say that when I need my Historical Romance fix, this is the author that I will run to. I enjoy a little Downton Abbey meets Pride and Prejudice aired on a cable channel to for the right to show a little steam. What I like about this authors books is that not only do you get those key elements but you get a bit of a meaty story as well. One could technically rip out all the special romance scene
LaFleurBleue
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, romance-histo
This was not Lisa Kleypas's best book by far, though not the worst.
I rather liked the heroine, I liked the way her relationship with Lucas evolved, their love for each other and how she managed to handle Emma. I also really liked how Lucas managed to learn to care and love someone other than his deceased wife.
However the partial amnesia was a bit too much and not cleverfully managed by either of those. I kept wondering when they would get the mind-reading woman back to be clear on what had happ
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The story starts strong but looses its charms midway. I don't know if it's because Luke and Tasia got together sooner than I expected or it's because I'm not entirely convince how fast Luke fell for Tasia.

And the age gap between them bothers me more than it should (he's 34, she's 18). Had she been 20 and he's 36, I'd probably be okay with it. He has a 12 year-old daughter, for heaven's sake! In today's society, he would be call a cradle robber.
Julz

This one was ok, I guess. Chick running from a crime she doesn't remember if she committed and lands her a tall rich dude with a hook for a hand. Lots of syrupy mush and a pseudoalpha male. No hard limits for miles around.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
The beginning blew me away, it was so gripping i had to keep on reading. I'm surprised i never read this before. There were instances where things were just too much but still i enjoyed it overall.
Lisa
One of the things that I admire about Lisa Kleypas is her willingness to tackle multiple sub-genres within romance. She's written contemporaries, paranormals and historicals. And unlike some romance authors I could name (cough-Jayne Ann Krentz-cough) who write the same story over and over with just the barest tweaks to justify calling it a new book, Kleypas strikes out in a variety of directions and I applaud her courage in doing so.

Unfortunately, when an author steps outside her comfort zone an
Joano
I’ve being a fan of Lisa Kleypas since I first came across her novel, Then Came You. Back then, reading a historical romance novel where the h is a single mother and not a virgin was refreshing. I started looking for a backlog of her novels, read some, knew this one existed but was never too keen due to the average reviews on Amazon.

Before I begin, I just want to say, this book is a page turner. It’s a cross between many tropes- governess/employer (at one stage, it was almost similar to Jane Eyr
Becky
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn’t realize when I picked this book up, I had read it years ago. It was one of those readings where everything that happens, I was like, “Oh yeah, I remember that.” But I couldn’t recall what would happen next. I remember really loving this book when I first read it, but I guess it’s not my thing anymore.

Lord Lucas Stokehurst has a 12 year old feisty daughter on the cusp of womanhood. She’s his world and in desperate need of a governess and a motherly figure to guide her through the coming
Katherine Coble
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical romance, as there's quite a lot of focus on the Russian politics of the late nineteenth century. That adds a richness to the plot. If you're looking for a standard love story, this will give you that, plus it will also give you a melodramatic unsolved murder, fake death, revenge killer and samovars.
Feminista
Feb 08, 2017 marked it as never-to-read
Gross age gap with hero's daughter being closer in age to the heroine.
Blossom
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved the heroine in this book. The way she was consistent in her beliefs even if she had a few hang ups and the hero....he grew on me. I mean he went to Russia for her. He faced down anyone to get her back. It was a fairy tale story I really enjoyed reading.
Amy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Cooped up in bed, this was the perfect thing for me to read. That being said, it was far from a perfect book.

I'm a fan of Lisa Kleypas, most of the time. I think she's easily one of the best contemporary HR authors; she has a gift of taking a very specific and limiting time period and somehow putting a fresh spin on each and every novel. Midnight Angel's spin? Russia. There had to have been a hefty amount of research involved in the creation of this story. It's impressive -- not only did she ne
C Joy
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reading a Lisa Kleypas novel has always been a treat, and this book is no exception. The characters were very likeable, and the setting was a change of scene starting in Russia, to England, back and forth. I love how LK's writing is consistent, but there's always something new with every story, they're never boring and predictable. The only thing I always know is a happy ending, and in this case foreshadowing.

Tasia was one of the slender heroines in her books but she has that mystic charm, and a
Dina
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
That was 5 star awesomeness!!!

description

I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!!!!!

I can't wait to read the next one!!
Susan (susayq ~)
I just don't know what to say about this one. I've read Lisa Kleypas before and LOVED her! The romance, the humor...she does it perfectly. Then I picked this up and WOAH! Not at all what I expected. This was dark and almost angsty! And I loved it just the same!

My only problem with this was the hero, Luke. Luke was an alpha male. Yes, I like alpha male heroes. I like them a lot. But here's where the problem came in - one minute he was pushing Tasia up against the door kissing the heck out of her
Thenia
Anastasia "Tasia" Kaptereva has barely escaped Russia with her life, after (view spoiler). She is now working as the governess of a spirited young lady whose father, Lucas Stokehurst, is more than slightly suspicious of Tasia.

Lucas initially doesn't want anything to do with Tasia and only accepts her as his beloved daughter's governess at his friends' insistence, but his desire to uncover her secrets, combined with her poise and s
Magda
Jan 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am a big LK fan and was very surprised in how much I disliked this book.

The story is about a young Russian Aristocratic lady that gets sentenced to death for a crime she did not commit. She escapes to England where she ends up as a governess for a wealthy man's 14 year old child.
My main issue was with the male lead. The man, Lord Stokehurst, is widowed and has lost one arm, in a heroic attempt to save his late wife. That made his, of course, stronger and more detached, which I accepted. How
Samantha
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Tarra
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
There was just too much going on in this book that it felt like a really bad soap opera. There was a paranormal element, which I didn't care for, I felt it wasn't used enough. If you're going to give your character a "gift" then they should be able to use it more and it should be more important to the story. A less than stellar Lisa Kleypas novel is still better than a lot of books I've read! But this definitely would not be the first novel I'd recommend for new Kleypas fans.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • A Christmas Present
  • One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
  • Not So Innocent
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Forbidden Love
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Enchanting Pleasures (Pleasures, #3)
  • Lightning Bay (Friday Harbor)
  • Wicked Angel
  • The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)
  • The Wife Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #2)

The Stokehursts (2 books)
  • Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2)
“I don't need any trinkets or pictures to remind me of my faith—all I need to do is stare out the window at the woods, and see how beautiful they are.” 3 likes