Start by marking “River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)” as Want to Read:
River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)

River of Fire

(Fallen Angels #6)

He was known as the Demon Warrior. As rebel, soldier, hero, and spy, Kenneth Wilding has never known defeat, until he returns from the Napoleonic wars to an empty title and a ravaged estate. Then a stranger offers a devil's bargain: financial salvation in return for Kenneth's special subversive skills. Reluctantly, Kenneth enters the household of England's greatest artist ...more
Published April 5th 2005 by Signet (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about River of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Fire

Start your review of River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
Corrine
Although I didn't like the way the last fifty pages tied every storyline up with a shiny bow, I think this is still my 2nd favorite in the series behind Dancing on the Wind. And this is a must-read for any romance reader who has a passion in one of the creative fields (in my case, writing). The things Rebecca tells Kenneth about painting can be applied across the board, and I especially found it very insightful.

Captain Kenneth Wilding aka Viscount Kimball is in debt due to his father's obsession
Kate McMurry
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review of audiobook version of outstanding historical romance

Captain Kenneth Wilding, newly Viscount Kimball, has been left with nothing but a mountain of debts after his father’s death. His besotted father mortgaged everything he owned to maintain his young, beautiful, and extremely avaricious second wife in the exalted style she demanded as her due. At age 33, Kenneth has spent the past 15 years in the military, including the entirety of the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815), a good portion of that
Keri
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one and thought Kenneth was a stand up guy. Got irritated with the heroine after she found out what Kenneth secret was. He was telling her 6 ways to Sunday not to get involved that he had a secret, then when the big reveal, she gets mad at him. Still a very nice read.
Zoe
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How is it that I did not review this book?

I read this book last year but obviously did not shelf it on GR. Here it goes: great writing, impressive characterization, mediocre romance.

Let it be known that I LOVE Mary Jo Putney. I admire her ability as a writer, to build a intricate story with complex characters. This was proven again and again in her older books. She often writes about things that are not "pretty". There is no fluffy read written by Putney. You read her books, at your own peril.
Olga Godim
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Loved it. The plotline has several interconnected threads, including a love story, a murder investigation, and a man pretending to be someone else. But underlying it all runs the main theme – what does it mean to be an artist. I like artists. They don’t often appear as protagonists in romantic fiction, so that alone made this novel resonate.
Plus, it is written very well and introduces fascinating, complex, and highly sympathetic characters, most of them artists. Even the villain is artistic in
Lilmissmolly
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
River of Fire is the 6th book in the Fallen Angels series by Mary Jo Putney and it is a must read for any historical romance fan who is passionate about art. The title refers to the entranced-like state a painter or artist falls into when they are in the middle of a project and lose all sense of time for hours at a time — skipping meals and even sleep in the process.

The story begins when Captain Kenneth Wilding returns home from war following his father’s death. Now that he is Viscount Kimball a
Gemma
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
After waiting for two years to collect the Fallen Angels books (so that I could read them all in a row), I've been very dissapointed in the series so far, with the exception of THUNDER AND ROSES. Now, after reading RIVER OF FIRE, my faith in Putney's writing ability is restored.

My main complaints with a lot of the other books in the Fallen Angels series was that the love story would get shoved onto the back burner while the mystery/intrigue took centre stage. This really annoyed me, as I want t
Crystal Carroll
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
About midway through the book, the main female character, Rebecca compares the fire of creativity to a river of fire in your blood. The compulsion above all others to create art and express your internal vision. Although Putney is a writer and not a painter, she is clearly speaking through the voice of her character.

There is a wonderful sense of unfolding to the world as the hero, Captain Wilding, a man who has spent his entire adult life at war, opens up to the power of artistic creation and (w
Estara
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: I loved this series in the past
Anna
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good addition to MJ Putney's Fallen Angel series. Kenneth Wilding is an officer who bears scars from the Napoleonic Wars, both physical and mental. He meets Rebecca Seaton when he is hired to pose as a secretary to Rebecca's father in order to delve into family secrets and prove that Rebecca's mother was murdered by her father. Rebecca is a socially ruined woman (due to a teenage elopement) and an artist.

Rebecca had given up on the idea of marriage and family, had in fact convinced herself
Shelagh
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an utterly gorgeous book River Of Fire has been, and how beautifully narrated! Author Mary Jo Putney has created marvellously rich characters in Kenneth and Rebecca, while the setting in regency London is described so well I felt as though I were standing in Rebecca’s studio watching the two of them.
While the plot is utterly engrossing, for me the star of this show was narrator Siobhan Waring, who brought the characters to life. It was like listening to a play, one which I was very reluctan
Trewen
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
hmmm....3.5?

I liked this. Liked the plot, liked the characters ok. I just didn't feel much chemistry going on.
The book was a bit flat. It was way too easy to put down and walk away.
I'll still read the next in the series and I still love Mary Jo Putney!
D.G.
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love art so it’s not a surprise that I enjoyed River of Fire so much. This is probably the best portrayal of artists I’ve seen in romance and I give kudos to Ms. Putney for taking the time and effort to do a thorough research about art in this time period.

The hero, the heroine AND her father are all artists with very distinctive styles. It was clear from the beginning that the author modeled them after real artists of the time so their themes and struggles were real and in synch with the evolu
Oleta Blaylock
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Kenneth Wilding and Rebecca Seaton's story. We met Captain Lord Wilding in SHATTERED RAINBOWS. He was Micheal Kenyon's friend. Kenneth lived in the same house as Michael, Catherine's family and Moxbry's. Kenneth also helped to find Michael after the battle at Waterloo and in doing so helped save his life. This story is also about redemption, love, betrayal and artist passion. There is a great deal going on in this story. Kenneth is trying to save his family estate and give his sister the ...more
Jan
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper
Kenneth Wilding’s love of art diminished him in the eyes of his father, and he left home to become a soldier. When his father was widowed, he married a much younger, acquisitive woman and neglected his daughter and the family estates. When Kenneth inherited, the family lands were mortgaged, the wealth of ancestral jewels were in the hands of Hermione, and Kenneth and his sister were within a couple of months of losing everything.

Lord Bowden acquires the mortgages and offers Kenneth a bargain: in
Cherie
Mar 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, owned
Darn it! I was liking this book. Then the hero and heroine get caught in a compromising position. The hero assures her that she does not have to marry him and she responds with a toddler tantrum about him planning this because she was an heiress and he would know that being her father's secretary. This after she was the one who had previously realized she could solve his financial woes because of her financial status. Sorry but now a romance is impossible. He's been honorable and will not feel e ...more
Virginia Tican
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delves into the turbulent and perfectionist creative soul of most craftsmen and artists. The author has created very credible characters ~ giving insight as to why portrait painters sometimes have affairs with their models and the "river of fire" inside the artist that every "perfect" brush stroke of color with all the layers and nuances attributed to a work in progress that attains perfection upon completion. A well~thought of piece that does not disappoint. Every book of hers is always an ...more
Lynne Tull
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
I was ready to give this book a five star rating until I had my first lesson in painting with oils. Too much of this story was spent on teaching me how oil paint. I know the painters were an integral part of this story; however, I didn't need to know how to mix the paint and prepare the canvas. I loved the H/H and the happily every after ending. Recommend the series-Start with the first book "Thunder & Roses". ...more
Dee Jay Blaylock
Intrigue, a spy within?

Kenneth Wilding finds that the Viscountcy that came to him had been looted by his father and his much younger second wife.
Finding that he must do something or the estate would fall into bankruptcy and his sister left with nothing, he agrees to investigate a year old death of Lady Helen Seaton at the request of her brother in law, Lord Bowden.
What transpires is a who done it and romance all in one.
Mary Ann
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book (and the whole series)

Part romance, part murder mystery. These lovers are terrific. Rebecca/Ginger lives in a hippy-type artist's home, long before there were hippies. She is a funny, smartass redhead, who is also a world-class artist. Kenneth is a friend of Michael and Catherine from the last book,tall dark,confident and handsome.
Liz Kuchel
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Regency romance. Not only does it detail a satisfying romance between two very believable characters, but it is rich with historically accurate information, well researched and excitingly dramatic. Mary Jo Putney is a truly great author, and her books are always worth 5 stars or more.
EFE
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story. I love all the artistic details and I love envisioning the types of paintings that all three artists create, especially with the author's note at the end that explains the inspirations.
Marilyn Kavanaugh
In which tumbling

in more than one form is a central motif. The reader will also experience the throes of the developing artist and learn who executed lashing in the British Army, as well as hanging in the Royal Academy. And then there’s always the sex.
joyce ryder
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked

I liked this book it was easy to read with a interesting story line which flowed well and the characters within were believable.The continuing lives portrayed gives it a real sense of events happening😊
Marlene
Kenneth Wilding an artist who was in the war with Micheal Kenyon goes to investigate an old murder at an artist's residence. He falls in love with the artist s daughter and solves the mystery of her mother's death.
Marian Johnston
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enchanting

Loved the book, it was a wonderful read. I have read them all and I think I liked it best.
Mainer207
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars.
Diane Morrell
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Kenneth's story. I knew who the evil doer was for some reason but then started having doubts. Loved these characters and the plot. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Carol
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. It's not my favourite in this series but it is one of the better ones. I liked the art bits and also most of the characters. It was a good pleasant read.
Maureen Wilson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
always a way for true love!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Truth About Dukes (Rogues to Riches, #5)
  • Unforgiven (Horsemen Trilogy, #2)
  • Irresistible (Horsemen Trilogy, #3)
  • At Last Comes Love (Huxtable Quintet, #3)
  • Seducing an Angel (Huxtable Quintet, #4)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
  • Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2)
  • Then Comes Seduction (Huxtable Quintet, #2)
  • Someone to Romance (Westcott #7)
  • A Secret Affair (Huxtable Quintet, #5)
  • A Lady's Dream Come True (True Gentlemen, #9)
  • Who Wants to Marry a Duke (Duke Dynasty #3)
  • The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)
  • My Heart's True Delight (True Gentlemen, #10)
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Indiscreet (Horsemen Trilogy, #1)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born on 1946 in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very com

Fallen Angels (7 books)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • Dancing on the Wind (Fallen Angels, #2)
  • Petals in the Storm (Fallen Angels, #3; Regency, #2)
  • Angel Rogue (Fallen Angels, #4)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)

News & Interviews

“Men are imperfect creatures, aren't they? But they are the only opposite sex we have, so we must make the best of them.” 11 likes
“I was raised to assume that wealth and rank and privilege would be mine by right," he said painfully. "Through a combination of bad luck and bad judgment, most of those assumptions were beaten out of me. While other young gentlemen raced horses and chased opera dancers, I learned that the world grants no rights beyond the chance to struggle for survival." His mouth twisted. "In the army I was flogged, wore rags, and damned near starved to death. I was forced to face every flaw and weakness in myself, and to learn the harsh lesson that men born to whores and raised in the gutter could be stronger, braver, and more honorable than I” 6 likes