Start by marking “The Spiral Path (The Circle of Friends #2)” as Want to Read:
The Spiral Path (The Circle of Friends #2)

The Spiral Path

(Circle of Friends #2)

Raine Marlowe has finally convinced her soon-to-be ex-husband to star in her directorial debut-but he fears that his character's dark secrets may be dangerously close to his own...

"Mary Jo Putney never fails to deliver a winning story with heartwarming characters. She is a pleasure to read...always." (Literary Times)

"Putney's writing is clear as crystal and smooth as
Published January 8th 2002 by Berkley (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Spiral Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spiral Path

Start your review of The Spiral Path (The Circle of Friends #2)
Mo
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, this one fizzled out and died fairly quickly. Overall, quite disappointed. Don't think I even have the energy to do a proper review. Wonder did the author every read OUTLANDER? She must have.

Sorry, I am not being more specific. Just felt she threw everything in ... some of the moments towards the end were "eye-rolling"! Didn't really care for either of the main characters. Then we have a few "Praise Be" moments!

Ah, well, ya can't win 'em all.
Kinda hate when you invest so much time in a
Em*bedded-in-books*
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Romance fans
Recommended to Em*bedded-in-books* by: Jaya
Every Romance I read convinces me that I am too cynical for this genre. It is not that I hate romance, rather it is that I hate things contriving to come together and every single crooked bit of the jigsaw is made to fit in at the end of the book. Romance genre is more fantasy-prone than the Fantasy genre itself. What I prefer to Romance is Contemporary, where love happens, affairs happen, but those are shown in a different light - sometimes happy, sometimes sad, with co incidences and
Indrani Sen
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, usa
A very well written romance. Thoroughly enjoyed. Recommend highly.
Tina
Dangermousie
I certanly enjoyed The Spiral Path but not for the reasons MJP intended.

Both Kenzie and Raine (names I am NOT fond of btw), are considerate, hard-working and love each other. I like stories of people working through relationships to those of falling in love, so that helps.

This said, regarding the hero's trauma - ummmm...ummmmmm...how is he even a functioning human being? I mean, if I am going "oh, you got adopted by a pedophile! That's a huge improvement in your life!" and not being sarcastic,
LJ
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
The Spiral Path - Ok
Mary Jo Putney
Actress Raine Marlowe needs her estranged husband, action hero Kenzie Scott, to star in her directorial debut in order to secure financing. Although he never believed he could sustain a marriage, he still loves Raine and agrees without reading the script. Too late, Kenzie discovers that his role touches on his darkest secrets, and that playing it may tear apart his fragile emotional stability. Raine, too, has unresolved issues from a troubled childhood, and her
Kaetrin
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper-book
It made me want to get a labyrnth
Kem
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent book and plot revolving around horrible upbringing infecting adulthood. The path to handling this kind of emotion and moving forward is difficult to say the least. Some make it thru and some don't. It takes a lot of courage and is a worse task when alone. Having someone to love and give love and support makes it more possible. How many people commit suicide in these circumstances? Too many.
Anna Soracco
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book even more than book 1. Mary Jo Putney knows how to develop her characters and tells her story in a poignant way. It's never too slow or too boring with her books. I could not put it down wanting to know Kenzie's secret. My only nagging criticism is that in some way it reminded me of Jamie Fraser of Outlander fame. For those who have read the books, there are similarities popping up here and there.
joyce ryder

I like this author and have read a lot of her books in the past.The story is powerful and gritty , at one point I let a tear or two.fall at the death of his friend,but I think that I prefer her historical romance books better.
Mum
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Rather intense plot and character development for a "romance."
May Grider
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book works as a romance but also hits on many interesting and moving topics. I cared about these characters. Much more engrossing than the first book in the series.
Gizella Tóth
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ez az a könyv, amely újra meg újra olvasva egyre jobbá válik.
Emlékszem az első élményre, s arra, hogy milyen sok ismerősömnek nem tetszett. Mivel addig én is csak MJP történelmi romantikusait olvastam, néha döcögve haladtam előre, de tetszett. Borzasztó furcsa, kicsit idegen volt, de akkor is tetszett.
Kicsit le vagyok maradva Putney-könyvek ügyében, így most, egyesével-kettesével – ahogy a pénztárcám engedi – kezdem behozni a lemaradást. Legújabb szerzeményem a Megtalált boldogság. A
Macherie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mary Jo Putney is a talented author. This book came out as a surprised, it added a dimension on her writing.

What I like about this book is the struggle about the main characters especially the lead male. Its interesting how people deal with their inner turmoils and this one is no different.

My favorite part in this book was during the shoot when Kenzie made a suggestion on how to make the rape/love scene gave me chills. It stayed on my mind, reminded me of Diana Gabaldon First book of the
Frances
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of love lost and found. The hero and heroine both have horrendous issues from their past that they must overcome to reach their HEA. Watching them grow and learn to trust was wonderful. I have read this book numerous times and always find something new. Mary Jo Putney is a superb craftsman.
Sam
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Story was different from the other modern day contemporary romances. I liked it there was romance and the sappy stuff but there was a harder edge that added an element of darkness to it that had me wanting to know what the "monster in the closet" was so to speak. I highly recommend if you are looking for a change from the predictable romances.
Dawn ♥ romance
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, romance
I didn't like how this story was told intermixing past with present and very slowly revealing the key elements which I had pretty much guessed. I gave up a third of the way though. Actors Kenzie and Raine are getting divorced but she wants him to star in a movie she is directing.
Anonymous
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-romance
Mary Jo Putney proves that she does not need to writing a period romance to have a powerful story with compelling characters. I was surprised at how moving this book was, especially the last few chapters.
Jenny
Shelves: wishlist
Great story line
Jill
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked it better than I expected. I was glad that the problems were really dealt with in the end, instead of what sometimes happens with just glossing things over and magic! - happily ever after.
Patricia Bunn
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
book was good
Enigma
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this novel. I was looking for something more like Mary Jo's real writing, something that's really unique, but no, not here :(.
E.
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4 3/4 stars!

Wow, what an intense and emotional read. Review to follow.
S.J.
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5

Disappointing for a MJP novel. And I guess I couldn't get over what we learn at the end of the book. Just weird.
Allanna
May 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Decent romance with both parties finding healing together.

And there's acting.
Lesley
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Great story - I wasn't sure I would like this since it was modern - but it was excellent!! - Putney has never disappointed me.
Joelle
Aug 08, 2010
Julie
Jun 18, 2012

• Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Someone to Wed (Westcott #3)
  • An Unacceptable Offer
  • Someone to Hold (Westcott, #2)
  • Christmas Angel (Company of Rogues, #3)
  • Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor
  • Vegas Rich (Vegas, #1)
  • For All Their Lives
  • Someone to Care (Westcott #4)
  • The Proposal (The Survivors' Club, #1)
  • First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1)
  • Portable Prairie: Confessions of an Unsettled Midwesterner
  • Shirley Temple: American Princess
  • Road to Tara: The Life of Margaret Mitchell
  • Sonya
  • Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably

Circle of Friends (3 books)
  • The Burning Point (Circle of Friends #1)
  • Twist of Fate (The Circle of Friends #3)