Start by marking “Petals in the Storm (Fallen Angels, #3; Regency, #2)” as Want to Read:
Petals in the Storm (Fallen Angels, #3; Regency, #2)

Petals in the Storm

(Fallen Angels #3)

REISSUE of THE CONTROVERSIAL COUNTESS

A cool master of sensuality, Rafe Whitbourne, Duke of Candover, earned his rakish reputation in the silken boudoirs of England's aristocracy, never giving away his hand or his heart.

Then a vital mission for a friend takes him to Paris to work with Countess Magda Janos, "the most beautiful spy in Europe." To his shock, the smoky-eyed tem
Published June 6th 2006 by Signet (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Petals in the Storm, please sign up.
Regiane Moreira Cronológicamente é o 3 porque o do Lucien "Dancing on the Wind", ocorre quando Napoleão está preso na ilha de Elba e este do Rafe "Petals in the…moreCronológicamente é o 3 porque o do Lucien "Dancing on the Wind", ocorre quando Napoleão está preso na ilha de Elba e este do Rafe "Petals in the Storm", ocorre depois da batalha de Waterloo, quando se assina o tratado de Paris. Ela pode ter escrito antes, mas pela cronologia histórica, seria o terceiro livro.

Chronologically it is 3 because Lucien's "Dancing on the Wind" occurs when Napoleon is trapped on the island of Elbe and this of Rafe "Petals in the Storm", occurs after the Battle of Waterloo when the Treaty of Paris is signed. She may have written before, but by historical chronology, it would be the third book
(less)

Corrine
I had plenty of warnings, but I was still rather stunned at how underwhelmed I was by this book. But I perservered because I really wanted to follow the series in sequence. Unfortunately, it took up my entire weekend because I could not force myself to sit down and read this in long stretches. Not that it was horrible, mind you, but because it seemed like in terms of the romance, nothing was happening.

Rafe, Duke of Candover, made a life-alteringly bad jump to conclusion when he was 21, and it c
Kate
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Oh MJP. I always love your characters. Your villains are often pretty good too.

In this case, I thought the story was a bit one-sided. I felt like Rafe was given the larger responsibility for his falling out with Maggie, but then when it came time for them to heal, he was the one in charge there as well. Maggie is supposedly this strong, independent woman. Yes, she has a past, and that past hurts, and she has to come to accept it. But the fact that she never once told Rafe that he was wrong about
Belinda Kroll
While I managed to finish this book, I just didn't enjoy it as much as The Bargain. The hero and heroine are trying to hurt each other even as they fight their feelings for each other and struggle with the memories of their past romance. The way they hurt one another in the past was a series of traumatic events for the heroine that I just couldn't believe anyone would be able to get past it. I wanted to like this book more, but as it stands, it just gets an "OK" from me.

Favorite passage:

Maggie
Mukadis
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I am giving it 5 big dazzling stars!
It would be a rare thing for me to find a book of Mary Jo putney that I didn't like reading, but this one especially made me so happy. I loved it!! mostly, because I have been wanting to read Rafe's story for quite a while now. Ever since he was mentioned in the 'The Bargin' by Mary Jo putney, I was intrigued by his story from the start, and honestly it quite lived up to my expectation.
This is the 2nd book in the fallen angel series featuring Duke of Candove
ARomanceLover
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Rafe, Duke of Candover, is sent to find out who is plotting against the movers and shakers at the peace talk in France where he meets the mysterious spy Countess Janos. Turns out she is his sweetheart who he thought betrayed him. Maggie has completely reinvented herself but she still can't shake her attraction to Rafe.

After reading the first book in this series I couldn't wait to crack this one open. The beginning though was a bit slow and not as sharp and snappy-like as I know MJP's writing ca
Cruth
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Author: Mary Jo Putney
First published: 1989, 2011
Originally published: as The Controversial Countess, 1989
Length: 5664 locations
Setting: 1815 - during the discussions of The Treaty of Paris after Napoleon's second abdication.
Sex: A part of who they are. She was gang raped in the past. (view spoiler) And she has used sexual allure as part of her spy arsenal.
Hero
Dangermousie
So much fun! Mainly because it uses one of my favorite set-ups. Long-ago lovers who meet again. At 21, Rafe Candover was madly in love with, and engaged to, Margot Ashton, who was all of 18. But he found out she cheated (pssst, not a spoiler, since this is a romance novel - he was set up), and when he confronted her about it, she threw the engagement ring in his face without defending herself and that was that. He loved her enough to beg her to marry him anyway once a few days passed, but by tha ...more
Jacqueline J
This has never been one of my favorites not because it isn't good because it is. It's just that the 2nd chance at love theme here is so so painful that I have a problem with it. Otherwise of course it is well written and intricately plotted. I also enjoyed the smaller regency it came from The Controversial Countess which I also own. In fact I did not find it quite as wrenching.
Keri
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
While this was a good read, it was also painful to read, as we found out what happened to Maggie after Rafe's actions. Maggie was a strong woman and needed to beat Rafe over the head a couple of times. :-)
Ash
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
2.75
Grade: C
EruditeBirdy
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the story of Duke Rafe Whitbourne and Margot Ashton.
When he was 21 years old Rafe becomes engaged to 18 year old Margot.
Then a Lord lies, is believed, destroying the engagement.

Margot's life then becomes a living Hell for years, but she manages to survive.
Much later Duke Rafe Whitbourne and Margot Ashton meet again, as spies for the British government.
What follows is an entertaining tale of peace talks, death plots, unfaithful men and women, a hungry cat, etc.

I thought it was an ambitio
Janice Hougland
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Ms. Putney's that I have read, but it certainly will NOT be the last. Descriptively, her writing is exceptional. It pushed me right into the story, relating to the characters as if I were living amongst them. The heroine is strong and feisty and the hero is equally strong and feisty. They met long before this story took place, and their history was written from an error on both of their parts due to their youthfulness. When they met again it was during a turbulent time ...more
catechism
The spy plot was actually pretty good! The romance plot was really not. Decent enough setup, but the dude was terrible, they had no chemistry, and everything was suuuuuper rapey all the time. Rapey backstory, persistent rape threats, multiple attempted rapes, and even the 'hero' at one point was like hey, rape! That's a thing I can do! The spy plot really was good, though, and I liked the side characters, and the romance was pasted on anyway so it was easy to skip in favor of figuring out who is ...more
Kiki Z
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I hate Rafe. That's all I could say about this book. I didn't mind him in the other books of this series, but I absolutely loathed him. His thoughts are petty, rape-y, and just plain creepy, and I couldn't get any further than about half. I skimmed the end to figure out who was responsible for the assassination plot just because I wanted to know. It was almost painful for me to read Rafe's thoughts, especially because he was an ass to her the decade before that. He deserves absolutely nothing.
Megzy
Rafe was an idiot pure and simple. I couldn't bring myself to respect him.
Jack Vasen
This is a good spy mystery. There are good clues and misleading clues which is what makes a good mystery. The climax is suspenseful and dangerous. The aftermath is well done and deals nicely with sensitive issues.

Maggie is intelligent and independent and a excellent spy. She has devastating secrets.

Rafe is too much the rake for me. His code of honor is a little messed up. In his thoughts he actually considers raping Maggie although he quickly abandons it. He has no problem with using every trick
Franzeska
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: het-romance
The hero is a swine who once dumped the heroine because some drunk idiot accused her of being a slut, and he assumed a gentleman wouldn't lie. This didn't feel like historical accuracy: it felt like the hero was too stupid to live.

However, I picked this book up for one trope: presumed dead. And on that trope, it delivers. OH BOY, does it deliver. If you like cheesy angst and second chances and groveling, it's all here. Even though the reveal is at the beginning of the novel, it continues to revi
Cynthia Pratt
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It amazes me that I can look at this book and so much had happened and I wasn't even half way thru yet. Never a dull moment. Again the characters are amazing. Maggie is so great that hard to believe Rafe is good enough for her. Thanks also for introducing Robin....I already peeked ahead and the next book is his. Totally do not know how I let these sit in my TBR pile so long. I admit that I skimmed much of the love scenes....sorry they were not the most interesting part of the book.
Nancy M. Payne
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another riveting story

This author has an amazing story telling skill. She skillfully intwines history, romance, espionage, a cat, excitement, female empowerment, and suspense. No wonder she is award winning. I hate to give away the story, so I won't. It doesn't really matter if you read them in order, but the series may give away outcomes if you don't. Each book stands on its own merit, they do not feel incomplete.
Dee Jay
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horrors of war....

The Duke of Candover, Rafe, is recruited to help find a spy in the British delegation that is threatening the completion of peace negotiations.
His contact is the female spy known as the Countess but when Rafe meets her, he finds his long lost love whom he thought dead.
How they work together to ferret out the spy and protect the Envoys and delegates is the gist of the story.
Well written and suspenseful.
Marilyn Kavanaugh
Not only a plausible weaving

of fiction into history in the post-Napoleonic era, but a sensual spy thriller in which sequels are inevitably and subtly foreshadowed. The healing of the past by the two main characters is especially affecting. The Author’s Note grounds the fiction in the reality.
Lynne Tull
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Get ready for a lot of 'after the Napoleonic War' history. Ms. Putney does like to do research. It was interesting and set up the scene. It took more than half of the book to get to the real story. Once I got there I didn't want to put the book down. I liked the characters and the mystery and especially glad I was reading a 'happily ever after' story.
Mary Ann
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

Such confused people! As in most romances, if they would just talk to each other, things would work out,but it would be a much shorter book. Second chances abound, and without h any luck,things, finally end with HEA.
Nina Hutson-farley
MJP Great Read

Another book of MJP . REad it for yourself you will call in love with her books too ! Now to the next one,
Janga
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read The Controversial Countess in 1989 and then read Petals in the Storm in the old Topaz pb in 1993. I love Rafe and Maggie, but ah Robin!
Michelle Werner
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great characters, intriguing story line. Really enjoyed
Mellanie C
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. I loaned it to a friend and never got it back.
Sara
Oct 27, 2017 added it
Shelves: romance-list
really good. very concentrated on a (fictional) assasination plot in paris 1815, but good historical detail and relationship building detail. rafe has to deal with margot's long time lover and friend robin and vice versa, which is well handled.
Oleta Blaylock
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing what you can learn when you are reading a good book. This is such a book. It takes place after the battle of Waterloo. I can only imagine all the arguing and fighting that went on during the negotiations for the treaty that ended the war. Feelings were running so high and so many had lost so much it is amazing that France remain a country. Napoleon was a great strategist and leader but he was just an tyrant that wanted to conquer the world. So many died during his reign I am surpri ...more
Tonileg
Historical English second chances romance where childhood first love finds mature adulthood twelve years later after they find each other in Paris trying to keep the peace after the re-capture of Napoleon. The second book in the Fallen Angels series by Mary Jo Putney and I had started by reading the last book in the series, One Perfect Rose which was a great historical romance about a dying nobleman that goes out to find freedom and finds love as well.
**Warning to history buffs! This book is fil
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stolen Magic (Guardians, #2)
  • Twice Fallen (Ladies in Waiting, #2)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
  • To Steal a Heart (Secrets and Spies, #1)
  • Devilish (Malloren, #5)
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Till Dawn Tames the Night
  • Truly
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • A Woman of Virtue (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #3)
  • What an Earl Wants (The Redgraves, #1)
  • The Bachelor Trap (Trap, #2)
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably

Fallen Angels (7 books)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • Dancing on the Wind (Fallen Angels, #2)
  • Angel Rogue (Fallen Angels, #4)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)