Start by marking “Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters--and One Man's Search to Find Them” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Andrew Carroll spent three years traveling throughout the United States and around the world to seek out the most powerful and unforgettable letters ever written during American wars.

Behind the Lines is the result of that extraordinary trip and represents the first book of its kind: a dramatic, intimate, and revealing look at warfare as seen through the personal correspon
Published October 1st 2006 by Scribner (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Lines

Ice
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
After it was released in June of 2001, Carroll's War Letters shot onto bestseller lists as the U.S. entered its first major war in 10 years. That collection selected 150 letters from 50,000 Carroll received after a Dear Abby mention of his Legacy Project, founded in 1998 to preserve soldiers' letters home; the book ranged from the Civil War to Bosnia. This follow-up reaches from the American Revolution to the war in Iraq and offers 200 letters along with 72 b&w photos and illustrations. All ...more
Brett
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sucker for letters as a genre in the first place, but I am especially intrigued by war time letters. War will always be controversial. Even when two people believe war justifiable, there is still the question over whether a given war fits into that category. War and its various aspects can easily be studied and analyzed with a certain amount of detachment, but letters touch on the humanity, heroism, and tragedy of war in a way that no philosophical or historical study can. This is a great c ...more
A.S. Johnson
Book was a gift from my niece. Bascially letters from people who served in various wars back and forth to family, lovers, etc. Nice layout, not too informal, a good read, and the personal side of humanity displayed well. More for people who might be more "patriotic" or like reading other peoples love letters, etc.
I'm sure a lot of research was done by the writers part in getting all the various letters and putting them into a coherant order was done.
Overall a nice book. Good coffee table book.
Chris
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Just got it for Christmas already addicted. Im putting off other reading for it. Thanks Kim! Not for the faint hearted all war letters that express the families, and soldiers point of view. Its about as real as you could get to getting close to the effects of war on the phsyche. Dating from the French and Indian War, American Revolution, all the way through to Afghanistan.
TC
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone curious about how war affects individuals.
I'm not usually one for "war stories" but this book is actually a collection of real war letters ranging from the American Revolution all the way to the current war Iraq. I got teary eyed several times and a couple times I laughed almost hysterically. It is a very moving book and is a revealing and unique view of history. This is a MUST READ!
Christine
Oct 02, 2015 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you "Book Rack" once again! Zipped in really quickly this morning, and found this! Was SO excited! I already have his "War Letters" and "Letters of a Nation", which I LOVED!! Now I see he edited a book called "Women's Letters"! Must get!
Bill
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letters from men & women in the military from colonial to modern times. Nothing captures history so well as first person accounts.
shay
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100books09, military
a really wonderful collection of letters and emails from soldiers and civilians in wars all over the world. this book was really touching and interesting.
Dean Thompson
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it a bit tough to get into. Not really a letters fan, however on the whole I liked it a lot.
Kandis
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and unique (more for my husband than for me) If your into war history--this book is for you
Karen
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be required reading in all schools.
Tiffany
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the audio book and it was awesome. I laughed so hard at some parts and had to fight to keep the tears away on others. Wonderful book!
christina white
Sorry about that earlier review! I was confused!
+Chaz
  • Oscar Wilde: A Life in Letters
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
  • Vagina Warriors
  • 800 Years of Women's Letters (Biography, Letters & Diaries)
  • Dear Bunny, Dear Volodya: The Nabokov-Wilson Letters, 1940-1971
  • Bright (The House on Glass Beach, #2)
  • A Bintel Brief: Sixty Years of Letters from the Lower East Side to the Jewish Daily Forward
  • Abraham Lincoln; His Speeches and Writings