Start by marking “Hold the Dark (Markhat, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hold the Dark (Markhat, #3)

Hold the Dark

(Markhat #3)

Demons in a feeding frenzy drive the world-weary Markhat to the brink…

A Markhat story.

Quiet, hard-working seamstresses aren’t the kind that normally go missing, even in a tough town like Rannit. Martha Hoobin’s disappearance, though, quickly draws Markhat into a deadly struggle between a halfdead blood cult and the infamous sorcerer known only as the Corpsemaster.

A powerfu
ebook, 1st Edition
Published April 14th 2009 by Samhain Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hold the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold the Dark

Start your review of Hold the Dark (Markhat, #3)
carol.
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who loves detective fantasy
Squee. I can't put this series down. Witty, interesting, well-written, an actual investigation--happy girl. Why, oh why can't work put me on-call today?

Markat has returned to the office after successfully solving a missing-persons case, and can only shake his head at the innocence of some people:
"You'd think that surviving the War would teach a man certain things--don't volunteer, don't go in first, don't put wads of cash in paper envelopes and ask a mob of strangers to take it cross country--bu
Milda Page Runner
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milda by: carol.
Whoa! What an emotional roller-coaster!
There are some unexpectedly dark turns in this story and just as F.Tuttle's humour works for me and makes me burst out laughing at the most unexpected moments - so does his horror and pain terrify me.
A very gripping dark story that starts of deceptively light and full of humour and keeps you at the edge of the seat through the rest of it.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5

If it weren't for the prologue that tells you about something that will happen in the book way past the halfway mark, Hold the Dark would be perfect.

This time Markhat is hired by the Hoobins to find their missing sister, a seamstress. She seems to be one of the best people in the world, so there's no way she left her family or any other bad thing. Even the ogres liked her! And they don't like anyone.

Through her brothers you are given a glimpse of life of the New People. Unlike so many other b
Mr. Matt
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
These Markhat books are really something special. Frank Tuttle creates Markhat's world effortlessly. Everything is revealed bit by bit. Nothing feels forced or contrived. You discover things and learn about the world as Markhat experiences them. And although the books are short, they are so good that you don't feel disappointed with them. Hold the Dark is no exception.

In this volume Markhat is hired to track down a missing woman - a seamstress for a brothel. In the course of his investigation t
Olga Godim
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t figure out why I like this series so much. I’m not a big fan of mystery noir nor I usually enjoy dark macho fantasy heroes, but I really like this series and its hero, the Finder Markhat. I look forward to reading more of his adventures. I guess the writer, Frank Tuttle, is to blame. He writes too well.
The plot of this short novel is running. It never stops and it’s so swift, I can’t relax. I know that on the next page, something unexpected will happen; some new and probably magical twis
Mark
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, flintlock, snarky
With this installment we've settled in to a much deeper horror vibe and that's alright because Tuttle has managed to be consistent in his writing all the way through books. Admittedly what I thought was going to be a light series with a snarky protagonist whose heart was pure and I'd enjoy between heavier reads has turned in to a fairly dark series. No Markhat isn't really any less snarky but the snark is much more a self defense mechanism than it is humorous, most of the time.

While decidedly a
Charl
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Still satisfying.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I've mentally divided this book up into the first two thirds or so, which I loved, and the last third, which was a bit of a disappointment.

I'll begin by writing about the first two thirds. That part of Hold the Dark was really good, and, I think, played a big part in helping to break the mild case of reader's block that had been weighing me down. As usual, I enjoyed Tuttle's sense of humor and Markhat's “voice.” The mystery was interesting, and I wanted to see if Markhat could manage to find Mar
Evan
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.2 stars rounded down.

I know that each book in this series can be read as a standalone, but I'd like to think that this novel is one of the "major" ones of the Markhat series, since important secondary characters are introduced in this novel, and it's also longer than the previous installments.

The mystery was pretty interesting, though a tad gruesome.

Markhat and Mama Hog's relationship is really explored in this story, and we see just how much they trust and care for each other. Even though Mar
pdarnold
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Markhat - finder, is on the job again. Mama Hog, Evis Prestley (giggle) and Corpse-master oh my! Brimming with characters that are giant, unique and memorable. This one was a bit creepier in my opinion, I'll never think of a stagecoach in the same way again. Just Eew! A missing seamstress, a love found, a vampire and a bloodsucking rogue cult. Markhat is taken through the ringer on this job and nearly looses himself over to the darkness and all the while the corpse-master toys with him. Who can ...more
Lynette
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should know Frank Tuttle and The Markhat Files

I got the first book in this series (The Mister Trophy) for free, it was a short story and I read it in a few hours, I purchased the next 7 books before I finished the first and have not been disappointed. This is a fantastic series that blends fantasy urban fantasy, mystery, supernatural beings, a smart ass finder (detective) and a one of a kind Mama Hog (my favorite character in the series) and winds up with a highly entertaining collectio
K.Z. Snow
Cecilia Dominic
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I've started turning to Frank's books when I'm just fed up with my world because Rannit is way worse but also very entertaining. It's kind of like a fantasy version of the Jerry Springer show but with more blood.

This was another great tale with some disgustingly evocative and effective descriptions, and Markhat finally meets up with a potential romantic partner who can handle him. I won't say any more about her, just that it was fun to read Markhat's feelings as they dawn and then as he recogni
Brandt
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First real book in the series.. It did not fail to amaze! Much of what didn't impress me in the previous short-stories got cured in this one.. Much more depth, two-three important characters got introduced and fleshed out nicely. We got a really nice taste for the magical aspects of the universe. Cool plot-threads that i expect will be taken up later got introduced. In all, I enjoyed myself immensely throughout..

I recommend this very highly to everyone who liked the Dresden Files, Garrett PI or
Sylvia
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, digital

I was happy to have a full length Markhat novel at last. This character is too much fun to be satisfied with short stories. This novel was twisty and mysterious as always, and while the Corpsetaker was a bit grim, the gore was not overwhelming as it can be in some books. Further character development was nice to see, and I look forward to more of this in the future. Another great read from Mr. Tuttle.
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
This is the first novel-length story about Markhat, and I think that helped it out. A lot of the stuff I wondered about from the first two stories still isn't explained in this one, but the story itself was more involved. It was a missing person type mystery, and that part of the story really pulled me along. Markhat also gets a love interest in this one, although that's not really developed as well as I was hoping. Still, it was an enjoyable read. I'll be reading the fourth book too.
Jamie Barrows
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
The series gets better and better. The world that Markhat lives in is a dark and gruesome world. A place where to win a war an uneasy peace was made with vampires who now hold a legal place in society. A legal place that allows anyone outside after curfew to be fair game for hungry vampires. So far none of the books have been long, but they all have been page turners from the start.
Trina Lore
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I feel bad giving these stories 4 stars. They are solid 4.5 material, and it's only because I've started strictly enforcing my own private "5 star" rule that I don't go ahead and bump them up. I LOVE these stories and this author. The material is fresh and fun, despite being a tad dark. Definitely not the sort of thing you run into every day.
Bishopza
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. The Markhat series is starting to feel like cross between the Dresden files and Terry Pratchett. Which is very high praise indeed! I really enjoyed the longer length compared to the previous two short stories and the additional world and character building this leads to.
Deena
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
I liked the longer length of this one - more novella than short story, although I was rather disappointed that the last 10% was actually promo, not story. (That's not the fault of the story, however, and isn't reflected in my rating).
JK
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Its got a bit more umf than the previous (chronologically speaking) installments, but there is still a lot of work to be done. I feel three stars is a little generous at this point, but what the hell. Ratings are pretty frivolous anyhow. Sometimes. Concerning this type of book at least.

Ramble.
April
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Markhat the Finder!
Barbara
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Only 3 1/2 stars from me for this one. It is a gripping mystery so perhaps I just was in the wrong mood to properly appreciate it, however I enjoyed the side jokes more than the main story.
Dan Norton-middaugh
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Markhat by himself is pretty wonderful. Markhat with Darla is fantastic!
Kevin
Apr 04, 2016
James Reid
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blood of Patriots (Humanity Unlimited Saga, #4)
  • We Have Contact (The Kurtherian Gambit, #12)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • Adventures of a Vegan Vamp (Vegan Vamp, #1)
  • Xeelee: Redemption
  • Picking Up the Pieces (Enthralled, #2)
  • Big Assed Global Kegger (Apocalypse Paused, #3)
  • When the Waker Sleeps
  • Bloodstalk (Vampirella, #1)
  • Suicide, Inc.
  • The Hellhound Project
  • The Wicked Cyborg
  • The Pericles Conspiracy
  • The Forever Soldier and Other Future Tales
  • Disappearing Nightly (Esther Diamond, #1)
  • A Curious Invasion (The Adventures of Smith and Jones  #1)
  • Hardcore Dungeon Core (Succubus, #5)
  • Gateway to Rust & Ruin (Empires of Steam and Rust)

Markhat (10 books)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • Dead Man's Rain (Markhat, #2)
  • The Cadaver Client (Markhat, #4)
  • The Banshee's Walk (Markhat, #5)
  • The Broken Bell (Markhat #6)
  • Brown River Queen (Markhat, #7)
  • The Five Faces (Markhat, #8)
  • The Darker Carnival (Markhat, #9)
  • Way Out West (The Markhat Files Book 8)