Start by marking “The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories

(Demon Cycle #1.6)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  4,197 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Humanity is nearly extinct after 300 years of hungry demon corelings. A handful of Messengers brave the night between the increasingly isolated populace behind protective wards. Arlen Bales will search anywhere, dare anything, to save the world. Maybe Abban, a merchant in the Great Bazaar of Krasia who purports to sell anything, has the answer.
Published January 1st 2010 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Bazaar and Other Stories

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateGrishma by Kelly Anne BlountGraceling by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin Cashore
Best Fantasy Book Covers
1,244 books — 1,377 voters
Fire Study by Maria V. SnyderPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceBloodrose by Andrea CremerStorm Glass by Maria V. SnyderSpy Glass by Maria V. Snyder
Hoods!
84 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

The Great Bazaar:

In THE WARDED MAN, one of Arlen's POV sections begins with him in the ruins of an ancient Krasian city where he finds the tomb of the Kaji. This is story of how he got the map to that city: hijinx ensue after his return from another abandoned city, having nearly been killed when he encountered a new type of desert demon.

Entertaining and informative, but not indispensably so.

Deleted Scenes: Arlen

Apparently, this was a writing assignment that birthed the DEMON CYCLE, but
Mark Lawrence
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Peat gave me this years ago when we met in London with Myke Cole. A nice little booklet, signed and dedicated. I put it away for later. Later turned out to be five years later when I rediscovered it as I moved a bookcase from the upstairs hall to the living room under wife's orders.

It's a short story and takes less than an hour to read, so I sat down and read it rather than lose it again.

I really liked it. The story feels like a satisfying wedge of The Warded Man. It's told at a time where Arlen
Bradley
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy
This one fills in a big portion of the pre-warding Arlen right before he goes in search of the first Deliverer.

Pretty perfect for those of us who wish we had all that early-days Arlen after his filled-out childhood after he goes off on his own but before he gets screwed. Honestly, we get all the same information in the Warded Man, but this is quite a bit more fleshed out, almost as if it was cut for pacing issues from the original.

Which I understand, of course, but like the other novella, I kin
Kristalia
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Final rating: 3.75/5 stars

For the Great Bazaar - 4 stars.
For the other stories - 3.5 stars.

Was it worth it? It was - we were given some more insights in the new demons, and how Arlen got the map to the Anoch Sun.

It was good, all in all. I really love Arlen - thank god all these stories are about him ♥ #Fangirl signing out.

► REVIEW(S) RELATED TO THIS BOOK:

The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)
The
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[1.5 stars]: I didn’t get a single thing out of this short story that wasn’t already presented in The Warded Man. The first few pages were promising, but it was all downhill from there. I was hoping for more cultural immersion or at the very least some character development, but all I got was an expansion of a minor plot element for which I’d already known the outcome. I’d say pass on this one and move right along to The Desert Spear – it’ll give you cultural immersion tenfold.

www.NikiHawkes.com
Claudia
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lovely addition to the main series.
It contains the prologue and two chapters which were removed from the first book, from various motives (explained by P. Brett).

The main story, "The Great Bazaar", is a detailed one on how Arlen got the map from Abban and started looking for the lost city, Anoch Sun. There is also a battle on the way (prior to the scene related to this particular map) with some demons which do not appear in "The Warded Man".

The prologue, entitled "Arlen" (which is, in fact, the
Gamma Mouse
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man for those who like their books American-Made) is one of the best fantasy epics of recent years. Period, exclamation point, throw whatever other punctuation you want at it, doesn’t matter; the book seriously kicked it, bringing it like Beckham (That Posh has skillz!) The novel’s protagonist, the demon-fighting Arlen Bales, easily captures the mantle of greatest Arlen ever, (trouncing Senator Arlen Specter who doesn’t fight demons, he just works with t ...more
mark monday
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantastical
well this was fun and served as a good reminder for me that I need to continue on with this series. Arlen remains an interesting protagonist - the annoying cliche parts of his personality (angry angsty guy always battling that voice of weakness in his head) are forgotten when chuckling over his willingness to be a dick to people who get on his nerves. I like seeing that in my heroes; it's usually a trait reserved for villains or anti-heroes.

clay demons were pretty fun, but even more fun was the
David Sven
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Great Bazaar is a short story that sits somewhere between chapters 16 and 17 of The Warded Man and tells of how Arlen gets Abban to help him steal the map to the lost City of Anoch Sun from the Krasian Temple of Heroes. Brett says he chose not to write about the three year period between those chapters when Arlen is working as a messenger and has instead opted to possibly revisit that time period later on. In his own words

This was an exciting, adventure-filled period in Arlen’s life, and a v
Vagner Stefanello
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

E aqui estou eu novamente para contar a minha opinião sobre The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, outro livro do Peter V. Brett que se passa no mesmo universo da série principal.

Situado entre os capítulos 16 e 17 de O Protegido, The Great Bazaar já nos introduz a Arlen como mensageiro e atualmente em Krasia, a Lança do Deserto. Sempre quis saber mais sobre o local, e esse conto sanou um pouco a minha curiosidade a respeito dos krasianos e como eles se c
seak
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I probably don't need to mention this again, but I love the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett. It just gets me. It's not perfect, but there are so many great things about it that I can easily dismiss/overlook/completely ignore any shortcomings. I keep reading and I can't get enough.

Brett has created literary crack.

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories takes place somewhere in the middle (time-wise) of The Warded Man, book one of the Demon Cycle. Our hero, Arlen Bales, is working as a messenger -those who
Gavin
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This novella set in Peter.V.Brett's Demon Cycle series actually features an unexplored adventure from Arlen's days as a Messenger. It was a tale from his time in Krasia. Arlen's old friend Abban had given him a map to the ruins of a desert village that was overrun by the demons twenty years ago. Arlen journeyed there hoping to salvage some of its secrets and to loot some of the old pottery the locals were famous for. All does not go smoothly as Arlen encounters a new type of demons that his ward ...more
Nj Sun
4,5 Sterne
Obwohl ich eigentlich schon so lange aus der Geschichte raus bin, habe den 1. Teil vor 3 Jahre oder so gelesen, war ich wieder sofort drin. Die 4 Kurzgeschichten fande ich wirklich gelungen und hat mir wieder Lust auf mehr gemacht. :)
Larnacouer  de SH
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simply put.

Just like Peter V. Brett said; The Great Bazaar shows everything I love about Arlen.

And also about few things Ward Grimoire, Demons and people you should know. Trust me, if you're a big fan of Demon Cycle just like me, you'll enjoy it.

Believe or not, to see Khaffit or the whole landscapes of Krasian Desert is really touching and was good adventure as always.

Your choice.
Benjamin Thomas
This is a nice little companion book for the main Demon Cycle series. It includes a novella about Arlen’s formative years as a Messenger, recounting a tale of a trip to collect some rare artifacts on his way to the Great Bazaar of Krasia where he interacts with the merchant Abban. It’s a nice story and allows some more details about clay demons to come out. The book also includes two “cut scenes” from The Warded Man manuscript including the original story that the author wrote for his fantasy wr ...more
Dawn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Good little addition to the Demon Cycle series. Nothing spectacular, but still worth reading if you enjoyed the other books in the series. I'd recommend reading it after Warded/Painted Man and before Desert Spear though, as all of the stories and deleted scenes are from Warded/Painted Man.
Marcos
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very entertaining short read.
DaJa
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
Eine nette Geschichte mit Szenen die für die eigentlichen Bücher einfach zu lang sind.
Emiliya
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Жалко, че не е включена в първата книга. Много по-добре обяснява началото на търсенето на Анокх Слънце. Редакторът се е престарал.
Mark
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-read
When I read The Painted Man last year it became one of my favourite books I'd ever read. It had everything I wanted and Peter V Brett told the story in such a way that I just couldn't put it down until I reached the last page. The sequel, The Desert Spear, became one of the top three books I was looking forward to this year, but when Subterranean Press announced The Great Bazaar I knew I had to have it. Fortunately I managed to get my order in and when it arrived I quickly managed to get over my ...more
sabisteb aka callisto
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Der große Basar ist eines Sammlung aus 2 Kurzgeschichten und 2 weggefallenen Szenen aus Das Lied der Dunkelheit, die aus den unterschiedlichsten Gründen gestrichen wurden.

Die Kurzgeschichte Der große Basar erzählt von Arlens und Abbans Geschäftsbeziehung und wie Arlen in den Besitz der Karte kam, die ihn nach Anochs Sonne führte.

Die Kurzgeschichte "Brayans Gold" erzählt von Arlens erster langer Tour als Kurier auf welcher er als erster Mensch einem Schneedämon begegnet.

Diese beiden Kurzgeschicht
Cristina
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Em O Ciclo dos Demónios, de Peter V. Brett toda a história roda em torno de um simples facto que fez divergir este mundo do que conhecemos: os demónios. Todas as noites estes seres mágicos se erguem do núcleo para atacar os humanos, e todas as noites os humanos se escondem por detrás das runas, caracteres com os quais tecem barreiras mágicas. Estes sucessivos ataques terão feito regredir uma civilização que, pelas pistas deixadas ao longo das histórias, terá sido bastante evoluída.

Por receio de
Becky
I decided to plough through some novella's from various series that I haven't gotten around to yet, and this was on the list. This review is actually for the newer edition (I believe) entitled The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold, which includes this and Brayan's Gold, so I don't know what the 'other stories' in this version actually are I'm afraid!

Arlen is in the desert region of Krasia, searching the desert sands for a village that was lost to the demons, but which may still contain some valuabl
Kathrin
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book contains two short stories and two deleted scenes from the first novel of the series. The book also contains a little appendix for the Demon World.

The short stories are a good addition to the first novel and I truly enjoyed reading them. They give some more insight into Arlen's way to becoming a messenger.

The two deleted scenes were presented with an additional note on why they didn't make it into the book. This part was highly interesting for me as I like to know more about the way a
Terence
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I loved it. The Great Bazaar absolutely should have been in The Warded Man, it would've help show the seriousness of acquiring a map to Anoch Sun.

I always enjoy reading about Arlen and seeing his unique blend of boldness and luck. Arlen seems like the perfect blend between Krasian and Greenlander because he wants to fight demons even when it seems impossible, but he sees value in all people not just Sharum, Dama, and Dama'ting.

Abban is really a great character and it's reinforced in The Great B
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Brandon Sanderson fans, Jim Butcher fans, High Fantasy and Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous books
I wasn't absolutely thrilled with The Great Bazaar. Brett does put an interesting twist on religion, and it seems to me that it is mimicking Islam in a fictitious way. That; I do find interesting and at the same time infuriating. The magic system is very well thought out and executed. Brava!
That's all for now.
Cheers Pretties!
Bogdan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
The Great Bazaar was a better story than Brayan`s Gold and has a more signifiance level in the main story`s evolution.

And don`t forget that you have the ocassion to meet again Abban the most ruthless merchant at haggling from the whole Krasian Empire.
Scrambles
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet and a great refresher before moving onto The Desert Spear. Bring on The Desert Spear.
Tim Childress
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Decidedly meh. I didn't need to read a sidequest.
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Rabenmond: Der magische Bund
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Heirs of the Blade (Shadows of the Apt, #7)
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • Die entführte Prinzessin: Von Drachen, Liebe und anderen Ungeheuern
  • Der Gott der Elder (Anders, #4)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
Peter V. Brett is the internationally bestselling author of the Demon Cycle series, which has sold over two million copies in 25 languages worldwide. Novels include The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War, The Skull Throne, and The Core. Other works include the Red Sonja: Unchained graphic novel and the Demon Cycle novellas The Great Bazaar, Brayan's Gold, Messenger's Legacy, and Barren ...more

Demon Cycle (5 books)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
“Every day away from succor was another night spent outside with the corelings, and not even Arlen took that lightly, but he had a deep and driving need to see things that no other man had seen, to go places no other man had gone. He had been eleven when he ran away from home. Now he was twenty, and had seen more of the world than any but a handful of other men.” 3 likes
“Hurting with words is easy," Mairy replied, echoing Leesha's earlier statement, "it's healing with them what's hard.” 3 likes