Start by marking “Digger J. Jones” as Want to Read:
Digger J. Jones

Digger J. Jones

Digger is keeping a diary about the things that matter to him: piffing yonnies at the meatworks, fishing with his cousins, and brawling with the school bully. But it's 1967, and bigger things keep getting in the way. Digger is finding out who he is, what he believes, and what's worth fighting for. ...more
Published June 4th 2007 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Digger J. Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger J. Jones

Start your review of Digger J. Jones
Chloe
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book it is the book I am doing for school
Heidi
Richard Frankland is a well known and highly regarded playwright. This is his first novel: the diary of a Koori boy in 1967, with links to the community at Lake Condah, to the indigenous political organisations centred in Northcote (Melbourne) leading up to the May 27th referendum.

This book does - from my clueless white girl viewpoint - a marvelous job of explaining what was going on in 1967. Vietnam. The referendum. The sheer stupidity of the mere need for the referendum.

The emnity-into-friends
Ashlee
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dave
Mar 31, 2021 rated it did not like it
I had to do this book for school and i have to say it is possibly the worst book I have ever read, and let it be known that I have read a lot of pretty bad books along with some pretty good ones. It is a terribly written, inaccurate book and the only good thing about it is that it is relatively short
Bob
Apr 14, 2020 added it
Niki E
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It takes writing skill to have me in tears by page six of a children’s book
Narrelle
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed Richard J Frankland's work as a playwright for many years - I was delighted to see his first book on the stand.

Eleven year old Digger J Jones is a terrific character - a feisty little scamp with a lot of personality. His diary entries make up the story - short, snappy observations from an alert, smart and funny kid.

The book, set in 1967 at the time of the Vietnam War and the Australian referendum for Australian Aborigines to finally be counted in the national census, looks at these
Melina
Told in diary form, this book tells the story of Digger - an Aboriginal boy caught up in the events of the 1960s and the lead up the the 1967 Referendum which officially counted Aboriginal people in Australia as citizens in the eyes of the Federal Government.

I really enjoyed this book, and the way Digger 'spoke' through the text. I think he had a strong voice which a lot of boys will enjoy reading. I particularly liked the way Digger discovered poetry.
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really interesting novel. It tells the story of 11 year old Digger, using his diary, in the year 1967- the year of the referendum for equality for Aboriginals. It handles a lot of issues, mainly racism, but it is also a novel of being a kid dealing with his world, the adult world and all the laughs and tears that go with it.
Lyndel
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a terrific way to introduce students into discussion around Aboriginal issues. It was very well written in a style that suits most students in this day and age and humourous. Loved it and in parts I laughed til I cried.
Bonnee Crawford
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well that was amazing :)
Jackie
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A collection of diary entries from an 11 year old Aboriginal boy during the 60's in Australia. Quite interesting, surrounds the '67 referendum.
Would be enjoyed by a young reader.

3 stars.
Sky
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book for boys, especially - my boys are ten and twelve.
Jen
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Looking for Alibrandi
  • Notes from a Small Island
  • All Together Now
  • Hikaru no Go, Vol. 1: Descent of the Go Master (Hikaru no Go, #1)
  • The Slap
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Briar Rose
  • The Golden Age
  • Fight or Flight
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • The Lady Elizabeth

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...