Start by marking “Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life” as Want to Read:
Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life

Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,214 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
""There are teachers with a rare ability to enter a child's mind;
it's as if their ability to get there at all gives them the right to stay forever.""
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Books On Tape (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coach

Diane
This is a nice story about how a tough coach inspired some high school kids to do more with their lives, including the author.

It is also a story of a generational divide, and how modern parents are accused of "helicoptering" and sheltering their kids too much, which makes it more difficult for the coach to do his job.

The book has a lot of meaning, despite being only 90 pages long. Michael Lewis attended a wealthy private school in New Orleans, and Billy Fitzgerald was his baseball coach. Coach F
Mariah
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"'There are teachers with a rare ability to enter a child's mind; it's as if their ability to get there at all gives them the right to stay forever.' There was a turning point in Michael Lewis's life, in a baseball game when he was fourteen years old. The irascible and often terrifying Coach Fitz put the ball in his hand with the game on the line and managed to convey such confident trust in Lewis's ability that the boy had no choice but to live up to it. "I didn't have words for it then, but I ...more
Darwin8u
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
― Michael Lewis, Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life

description

I recently had lunch with an old friend of mine and her sister. Their father was one of those iconic baseball/football coaches in Oregon who recently had a celebration on his 50th year of coaching (or something close). This is a guy, who, by the accounts of his daughters was so tough he probably would be fired
Eric Wilbanks
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
I won't bother to repeat all the basic details already covered by other readers except to say, Yes, it's short (I'm estimating 8,000 words), but it really packs a punch. As a father of four (3 boys, 1 girl), the themes really resonated with me. This quote seems to sum it up much better than I would be able to do:
"Fitz gave another one of his sermons. They were always a little different but they never strayed far from a general theme: What It Means To Be A Man. What it meant to be a man was that
Emmett Novick
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coach is a very good book. It explains how this one coach at a Tennessee high school was so good that he created a legendary school and a legendary program. This coach is called Coach Fitz. At the school he coaches for, Newman, the famous NFL quarterbacks Eli and Peyton Manning came through his program for baseball, and they don't even care to recall their football coach, because Coach Fitz was that good. This book explains just how good he was.
Jonathan
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet. A one-day read.

A very compelling story of a generational clash (old players and current generation players) with a legendary coach being the subject of it all.

Teaches lessons about complacency, the virtue of struggle even against overwhelming odds, dedication to team and self, and many others.

Loved it.
George
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INSPIRING.

What price sissification?

COACH: Lessons on the Game of Life, by Michael Lewis begs that question. And hints at what a tremendous lose it is when self-respect is no longer to be earned but becomes merely a facetious, meaningless, spoon-fed entitlement.

Recommendation: Parents, please love your kids, and please read or listen to 'COACH.'

"The coach's message was not simply about winning but about self-respect, sacrifice, courage, and endurance."—goodreads.com synopsis

MP3 audio book editio
Audrey
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of this book spoke at my graduation from Tulane Graduate School--for someone I never heard of he gave a wonderful and inspiring speech. I bought the book for my spouse shortly thereafter for Father's Day, it is very short so I thought it would be ideal given his non-work related literature phobia. It took me less than 2 hours to read this book today, served as nice dose of life coaching, told in a magnetic fashion.
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Growing up we all had "that coach" - the one who said something you still repeat, or the one who went the extra mile for you or the whole team. Those who have been blessed with great coaches share stories and remind us what an impact our own words have on our players now that we are the coaches. Give this to your coach as a thank you.
Jihae
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love everything Michael Lewis writes so I am overlooking the fact that this is basically one long article (you can read it in an hour) posing as a book, very slim on content. I am puzzled why there are wholesome-america photos that you would normally find already inserted in the photo album. Why?
Matt
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good short book. Deals with being part of a team, making committments, being a parent, and understanding what some brilliant coaches are trying to teach us at young ages through their unconventional ways. I strongly reccommend this book to anyone whether you have an interest in baseball or not.
Megan
Michael Lewis (Moneyball, Liar's Poker) writes a slim memoir of Coach Fitz, his high school baseball coach at a private school in New Orleans. It is reminiscent of Tuesdays with Morrie. Lewis comments on the differences between students and parents when he was in high school and now.
Katie
Jul 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple, short book (more an article, really) on the role a former coach had on the author's life and how coaching times have changed. I'm not very into sports, but wanted a quick, light and enjoyable read one evening and this did the trick.
Aaron Hubbard
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to see the impact a good coach can have on the lives of youth. If you are a fan of Michael Lewis this could be even more interesting as you will see where he met some of the people he writes about in other books.
Kelly
I read Lewis' The Blind Side,and I liked it so much that I had to get my hands on all his other books and read them. This was a wonderful tribute to Lewis' favorite coach. And it's full of lessons for life. A very short, but good read.
Rick
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another good one, easy small book read recommended for everyone
Monica
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very short, but great. :-)
Tagg
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick (30-minute) read but great insight into one of the traps of modern parenthood--overprotecting your child and not letting them learn lessons the hard way
Vicky Maday
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for coaches and parents!
Karen Merrifield
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved it
Chazzle
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to find my inner Coach Fitz much more often.

Anyway, a short book, but a great book.
Ann Frost
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a little gem. I believe this originated as a magazine piece, but now is published in book form. It is a very quick read - 20-30 minutes. But while teaching executives this week about leadership style and grit, this book came in very handy. Michael Lewis recounts his experience being coached by a baseball coach that demanded much from his students both on the field and in life. The coach was beloved by Lewis's classmates and others of his generation. However, when raising money to refurbi ...more
Madeleine
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read and I really enjoyed the story of his coach and the lessons he tried to instill in his team. So very true were the lessons he tried to teach and how mistaken many parents are to remove challenges from their children's lives. These are the lessons that teach them great character. The longer it takes them to learn them the more painful the lessons become.
Andrew Wolgemuth
There's a little "Hey kids - get off my yard!" in this book: kids these days are too entitled, parents these days do too much for their kids, etc. Even so, Lewis tells a good story and compellingly describes the importance of hard work and commitment as he reflects on the experience of being coached by a demanding man during his youth.
Don
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Any book by Michael Lewis is worth reading. This is very short one that I listened to in just a few hours.
Liza
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick relevant read

A book about what it means to be successful and how to fight for what is right even in the face of opposition
Rob Perschau
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Short essay, not a book
Jane
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short book about a coach bringing out toughness and dedication from kids.
Alberto Lopez
Perhaps the only Michael Lewis book that feels as a filler in an editorial chain. If there was such a thing as chick-flick for guys, this would be it.
Bill Yeadon
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this 45 minute book 6 stars I would have done it. Wonderful life lessons and you don't need to be a sports fan.
  • Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Education of a Coach
  • The Assist: Hoops, Hope, and the Game of Their Lives
  • When the Game Stands Tall, Special Movie Edition: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak
  • Heart of the Game: Life, Death, and Mercy in Minor League America
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son: A Memoir
  • Baseball
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • The Junction Boys: How 10 Days in Hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion Team
  • The Real Romney
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • A Coach's Life
  • Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • Ty and The Babe: Baseball's Fiercest Rivals: A Surprising Friendship and the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship
Michael Lewis, the best-selling author of Liar’s Poker, The Money Culture, The New New Thing, Moneyball, The Blind Side, Panic, Home Game, The Big Short, and Boomerang, among other works, lives in Berkeley, California, with his wife and three children.
More about Michael Lewis...
“It was as if this baseball coach had reached inside me, found a rusty switch marked: 'turn on before attempting use' - and flipped it.” 1 likes