Start by marking “Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die” as Want to Read:
Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  61,448 ratings  ·  2,311 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The instant classic about why some ideas thrive, why others die, and how to improve your idea's chances--essential reading in the "fake news" era.

Mark Twain once observed, "A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on." His observation rings true: Urban legends, conspiracy theories, and bogus news stories cir
Published January 2nd 2007 by Random House (first published December 18th 2006)

·  61,448 ratings  ·  2,311 reviews

Mohamed Al
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أخرى
دعوني أبدأ بالقول بأنني أكره كتب التنمية وتطوير الذات وكل ما دار في فلكها، وأنني أفضل قراءة كتاب طبخ حول طريقة إعداد "المحشي" على قراءة كتاب لأولئك المحتالين الذين يبيعون وهمًا للمغفلين. كما أن أسوأ كوابيسي هو أن أستيقظ يومًا في جزيرة معزولة وليس في حوزتي سوى كتاب من هذا النوع على شاكلة "كيف تصبح مليونيرًا في ٣ أيام" "كيف تغير العالم بضغطة زر" (في الواقع إذا كنت في جزيرة معزلة فعلاً سأتمنى أن يكون معي كتالوج من "إيكيا" لتركيب قارب خشبي أستطيع أن أستقله لأهرب من الجزيرة).

لكن هذا الكتاب مختلف فعلا
Sundeep
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sundeep by: kareem
from my blog, thesunrising.com

Summary: When marketing anything, keep these six concepts in mind if you want your message to shtick: Simple, Unexpected, Concrete, Credible, Emotional, Stories; yes, my friends, that spells SUCCESs. If it sounds like too much work, these two concepts also work: Free, Sex (noooo, that’s not in the book…but it works I tell you!).

Recommended? Si. It’s a quick, fun read full of interesting anecdotes and examples that make the book’s message more *concrete* (a-hem). If
Trevor
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book in a convoluted fashion. It was nearly recommended to me in a round about sort of way by Richard, a GoodReads friend, when he pointed to a review of Blink by someone else on GoodReads who is some sort of expert in the field (although, I have to admit I’m still not totally sure which field that is). The expert felt Gladwell was a little too simplistic. I enjoyed Gladwell’s books very much and so was keen to see what made them seem too simplistic to someone ‘in the field’ and ...more
Mark Dickson
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Perhaps it was because this book came highly recommended from a reliable source, but I was greatly disappointed. This book was a redundant snooze. The ultimate test, I suppose, is whether the ideas from this book do, in fact, stick. It suffices to say that "enjoyability" is NOT on the list of what makes an idea stick.

It's quite clear that the authors are doing their utmost to follow their own advice. That this makes the book almost unreadably repetitive is possibly an argument against the book'
مشاري الإبراهيم
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great book on how to make the core message you want to deliver remembered. How to formulate it so that it 'sticks' in the minds of the listeners.

The core idea is that: in order for a message to be 'sticky' it has to combine these 6 characteristics: 1) Simple 2) Unexpected 3)Credible 4) Concrete 5)emotional 6)Story

SUCCES(without the extra 'S' spelling success)

The authors tell very engaging stories on each of their success factors.I think this is a great book for consultants. One of their main jo
Kevan
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Update #2: Yep. Still recommending it. I

Update #1, at the halfway point: five stars already.

I want to read this book twice, at least. This will directly change how I write, present, think, create and make things. I know I need to keep experimenting to make my communication more memorable, more meaningful, and I'll be playing with many of the techniques described here.

A few key points that I want to experiment with in my own work:

"If you've asked somebody to remember three things, you've asked
Lili Manolache
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book "Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die" by Chip Heath and Dan Heath Chow, is about how to make your ideas memorable; be it promoting a product / project, being a professional, forwarding a company's strategy or lessons to students. Everything revolves around the SUCCESS methodology. For an idea to stick, for it to be useful and lasting, it's got to make the audience:

Pay attention - Unexpected
Understand and remember it - Concrete
Agree/Believe - Credible
Care - Emotional
Be a
Snuggles  with Rainbows
I don’t know why I’m surprised at my 5star rating. I was recommended this book by multiple people, including the professionals of Goodreads. The final nail on the coffin was when my Dad just handed me this book saying, “You know for a Doctor, you should really read this book!”
Way to go Dad! That’s what did it. He throws in that ‘doctor’-word in there and I’m eating from the palm of his hand.
But on a serious note, this book was enlightening to me on so many levels. Not only did I resonate with
Anya Weber
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I have enough money to buy books again, I'm planning to build a marketing and communications library. It will consist of three books: "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell, "Influence" by Robert Cialdini, and this book, which is maybe the one of the three that knocked me on my butt most often as I was reading it.

The (adorable!) Heath brothers (check out their nerdy-preppy hottitude on the back cover!) are Chip, a Stanford business professor, and Dan, an education and new media consultant
James
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Some business books are written to promote consulting gigs. This is one such book. You can usually tell when the summary chapter just takes the table of contents and re-arranges it a little. I picked this up because one of the authors is the founder of an innovative website used extensively by my kids---Thinkwell.com.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this book. The ideas are coherent, presented well, and made relatively easy to digest (following the their own enunciated principle of the "p
Laura Noggle
*Stickiness Level: Average*

Not sure on the lasting impact of this book on me, it seemed like a lot of common sense and natural intuition.

Maybe I’ve read too much Godin and Gary Vee, or maybe this 12 year old book is a little dated. Either way it’s hard to pinpoint why memes, trends, and some things become popular over others.

This book is a perfectly acceptable attempt to understand why some things stick more than others, but hindsight is always 20/20.

If Chip had followed more of his own advice
Jane
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let's assume that since I get invited back to keynote at the same conferences, I'm a more-than-decent speaker. And, that since a couple of the books I've written are bestsellers, I must make them interesting to readers. Why mention this? Because my copy of Made to Stick is filled with sticky notes that are covered with ideas for upcoming speeches and writings. This book motivates application of the ideas it contains.

Yes, I've used several of the core techniques described in the book for years--
Sajad Behjati
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب های زیادی در زمینه اثربخشی محتوا خوندم و اینکه چطور محتوایی ارایه کنیم که ماندگار و تاثیر گذار باشد، اما برای من ایده عالی مستدام کتابی متفاوت و خاص بود که با مثال های متعدد و شیوه ای آسان این موضوع را شرح داده است...

محتواهایی که کار زیادی برده است، اما به درستی ارایه نمی شوند، اساتید دانشگاهی که سرشار از دانش هستند، اما نمیتوانند ارایه کنند و خیلی مثال های دیگه ای که لزوم مطالعه این کتاب و استفاده از تکنیک های آنرا نشان میدهد .
Mahdi Nasseri
این کتاب عالی است. به نظرم به تمام معنا مطالعه آن برای همه نیاز است. نه تنها شما را در جایگاه شغلی و اجتماعی قدرتمند می کنه بلکه بهتون کمک می کنه تا بسیاری از باورها، رویدادها و ایده هایی رو که در محیط اطرافمون باهاش مواجه می شیم رو بتونیم به درستی تحلیل کنیم و بشناسیم.
خوندن این کتاب رو به همه توصیه می کنم.
ترجمه عالی این کتاب در کنار چاپ بسیار با کیفیت خوندن این کتاب رو لذت بخش تر کرده.
Ahmad
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This might end up the best book I’ll read in 2017.
قد يكون هذا أفضل كتاب عندي في ٢٠١٧.
Loy Machedo
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Remember the subway advertisement? The guy who lost over 200 pounds eating only the vegetarian sub?

What about proverbs like “A bird in hand is worth two in a bush” or what comes to your mind when you hear the phrase “Sour Grapes”?

What about John F. Kennedy’s Man on the Moon vision?

Why is it we remember Urban legends like the Kentucky Fried Rat, Coco Cola dissolving tooth, Kidney thieves or the fact that you can see the Great Wall of China from space?

Welcome to a book that is the cross breed betw
Rick Lee Lee James
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really great book, especially if you communicate for a living. The 6 principles that make an idea stick ( 1.) Simplicity, 2.) Unexpectedness, 3.) Concreteness, 4.) Credibility, 5.) Emotions, 6.) Stories ) make up the simple acronym, SUCCESS. This book elaborates on these principles while at the same time adhering to them. If you're a public speaker, teacher, pastor, manager, or even a parent trying to teach ideas to your children then I think you will find this book beneficial.
د.أمجد الجنباز
من أروع الكتب التي قرأتها والتي تتحدث بطريقة مفصلة ومبسطة عن كيفية تبسيط أفكارك لتؤثر بها في الأخرين وتجعلهم يحفظونها.
ستتة إستراتيجيات بسيطة تساعدك في هذه العملية
Romie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My dad read this book a few years ago, and because it's in English he thought I'd like it … so he gave it to me for my birthday. It's not a book I would have picked up on my own.

I don't regret reading it, it was interesting, though a bit long. I think that's my main problem with this book: it's about sticky ideas being simple and yet this book was long for what it was. I don't necessarily think we needed to read about so many examples, just a few would have been enough.

Like I said, it was good,
Dave
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a writer and speaker, I love stories. I love to tell them, to write them, and I love to read them. I also like to read about stories, what makes them work, how they excite our imagination, how we use them to enrich our communications. Made To Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive And Others Die is about all that and more.

Good salespeople, advertisers, marketers, PR professionals, even managers wanting to motivate their employees and entrepreneurs needing to excite their investors can make good use o
آلاء الحاجي
هناك أفكار وجدت لتبقى فعلا.. يبحث هذا الكتاب في أهم المعايير التي تؤهل الأفكار لأن ترسخ في أذهان البشر (الجماهير).. وهو مهم برأيي لكل مشتغل بالإعلام و الأهم منه "التعليم".
لكن السؤال هنا هل كل الأفكار تصلح لأن تبقى و إن اتبعت هذه المعايير؟ باستطاعة أي مشعوذ أقصد أي مدرب تنمية بشرية أن يستخدم هذه المعايير وأن يؤثر في الجمهور و أن ترسخ محاضرته في أذهانهم، لكن هل ما علق في أذهانهم يستحق هذا الفراغ الذي ملأه؟ وبالأحرى هل ستنفعهم هذه الأفكار في حياتهم؟
لنكن أكثر تبسيطا، عندما يحلل هذا الكتاب كيف استط
Andreas Ernst
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The basic concept outlined in this book is helpful and I loved the very beginning with its surprising twist. After a couple of chapters however I think the books looses a bit of spicyness.
Douglas Knupp
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone whi is in the business of communicating ideas in a way that they will be remembered
MADE TO STICK – Chip and Dan Heath
SUCCES
Simple – Unexpected – Concrete – Contextual – Emotional – Stories

Step-by-directions, how to achieve stickiness

“Those are the six principles of successful ideas. To summarize, here’s our checklist for creating a successful idea: a Simple Unexpected Concrete Credentialed Emotional Story. A clever observer will note that this sentence can be compacted into the acronym SUCCESs. This is sheer coincidence, of course. (Okay, we admit, SUCCESs is a little corny. W
Gavin
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friend-recs
Recommended for teachers, managers, presenters, really anyone who needs to communicate information to other people, one of my few complaints about this book is that there are so many helpful and well-presented communication tactics that much of the content runs the risk of being overshadowed by the truly stellar, memorable stretches of the book. Through powerful anecdotes (uber intentionally) and very approachable technical explanations, Heath and Heath do an amazing job giving concrete examples ...more
Steve
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you are a business person, teacher, or just someone trying to get your idea across, this is a great book to read!

Written by brothers Chip and Dan Heath, one a professor of organizational behavior at Stanford, the other an education consultant and former researcher at Harvard Business School. They look at the key aspects of what makes some ideas and stories stick in people's minds. They boil things down to 6 key principles of simplicity that make things stick in people's memories.

Some of the c
Zaki Imtiaz
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a marketer and a game developer I have always wondered about how to make people care about my idea. How can I make someone to buy my product and listen to my proposals. This book has helped me a lot in shaping my thoughts, towards making ideas stick. End result is that I have hundreds of working examples from this book as well as Edward De Bonu's book "Think before its too late" to make things work.

So whenever you are going to work on an idea, just think about SUCCESs.

S: Is your idea simple?
Noor Elqalb
كتاب جميل لللأسف قرأته باللغةة العربية ولكني سأحرص ان شاء الله على شرائه باللغة الانجليزية لماذا تموت بعض الأفكار بينما ترسخ بعضها؟ الصفات التي يجب أن تتوافر في طريقة عرض الفكرة حتى ترسح في ذهن الجمهور
البسيط غير المتوقع المصداقية العاطفي والملموس ؟ ة
كتاب أنصح به الأخل والمربين والاساتذه وكل من يتطلب عمله التأثير في قرار شخص ما انه ليس من كتب التنمية الذاتية المكررة انه مختلف يكفي انه قائم على فكرة من كتاب مالكوم جلادويل
Mehrsa
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This is gonna sound weird, but for all their talk about making ideas interesting and unforgettable, this book was so uninteresting and forgettable. I mean, some of the stories were interesting and I did learn a few tidbits, but I don't think the book passes their own metric of stickiness.
John
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
8 stars!!!!!!!!!!!! This book is amazing. Do you teach? Do you write? Do you manage? Do you talk? Then you should read this.

Gripping stories, succinct and memorable principles, powerful lessons for all of life.
Kristen
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, work
As I return to communications, I thought I'd brush up with this modern marketing classic.
wwwmore.comgrm3zephrofelmaleenhancementreviews 1 1 Feb 14, 2019 09:08PM
Entrepreneur Book...: Made to Stick - September, 2017 1 25 Sep 02, 2017 10:11AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Made to Stick 1 11 Mar 05, 2014 11:01AM
Not Just for Business People 6 92 Mar 31, 2013 07:37PM
  • Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Slide: Ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell (and Live) the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas
  • Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
  • The Starfish and the Spider: The Unstoppable Power of Leaderless Organizations
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
Chip Heath is the professor of Organizational Behavior in the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University.
He received his B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University and his Ph.D. in Psychology from Stanford.

He co-wrote a book titled Switch How to Change Things When Change Is Hard with his brother Dan Heath.
“The most basic way to get someone's attention is this: Break a pattern.” 66 likes
“Stephen Covey, in his book The 8th Habit, decribes a poll of 23,000 employees drawn from a number of companies and industries. He reports the poll's findings:

* Only 37 percent said they have a clear understanding of what their organization is trying to achieve and why
* Only one in five was enthusiastic about their team's and their organization's goals
* Only one in five said they had a clear "line of sight" between their tasks and their team's and organization's goals
* Only 15 percent felt that their organization fully enables them to execute key goals
* Only 20 percent fully trusted the organization they work for

Then, Covey superimposes a very human metaphor over the statistics. He says, "If, say, a soccer team had these same scores, only 4 of the 11 players on the field would know which goal is theirs. Only 2 of the 11 would care. Only 2 of the 11 would know what position they play and know exactly what they are supposed to do. And all but 2 players would, in some way, be competing against their own team members rather than the opponent.”
42 likes