Start by marking “Dragon Ore (The Dawning of Power, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Ore (The Dawning of Power, #3)

Read eBook

Dragon Ore

(The Dawning of Power #3)

Clinging to life, Catrin Volker struggles to regain her strength as her foes go in search of even greater power. Ancient enemies threaten and forgotten alliances emerge in the exciting conclusion of The Dawning of Power trilogy.
Published (first published September 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Ore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Ore

Karen
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The almost final battle

I've enjoyed this trilogy and the growth of the characters throughout. Much of the time has been spent in battles and in preparation for battles, yet the story is character driven. And with this book, the storyline comes to a tentative conclusion, while setting the stage for more to come in the unending battle against evil. This is one of the better YA epic fantasy series I've read.
Virginia Gray
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series!!

This series kept me riveted until I finished the whole trilogy in one sitting. The only criticism l have is that I don't know what they find and what dangers are coming. I want to finish the story!!!
Kathy Brickert
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

What an exciting ending! I really enjoyed all of this series and while the end left possibilities for future adventure, it was a very satisfying ending to this part! Great read!
Jean Waddup
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bit disappointed with the build up at the end fizzling out to a damp fuze.
Elizabeth Dye
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

These books kept me reading! I couldn’t wait to find out what was coming next... how it would all end!
Brenda .
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last one in this trilogy. I once again really liked this book or trilogy. I can't wait to read the second trilogy?? in this series.
Benjamin Spurlock
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
(Full disclosure: the audiobook of Dragon Ore was given to me by the author, and he and I communicate on twitter.)

As the end of the Dawning of Power trilogy and the set-up for the Balance of Power trio, Dragon Ore is in a bit of an odd position. It has to wrap up what's already gone before, but it also has to set up the new problems to come. It also has to, as a consequence of this, balance the need for giving a proper send-off to the old, and give a tantalizing hint of the next book, without ch
Susie
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Dawning of Power series quite a bit. There is a lot of character development, to the detriment of action and plot, but I enjoyed reading about it and didn't feel like the books were as slow as they could have been.

A young, unknown hero sets off on a quest of unknown dimension with a ragtag band of protectors, one of whom is secretly more knowledgeable and powerful than one first suspects. It takes months to travel anywhere by foot, boat, or army; luckily the evil is just as slow.
Catherine
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was not impressed by this series but it was just interesting enough to keep reading. the third book is the worst of the three. All of them have pacing issues but Dragon Ore was particularly problematic. Another issue in all three books are the uninteresting characters. The most appealing character by far was Benjin, and I felt he and Catrin had real chemistry, and to be honest, I couldn't really get a hold on literally any other character except Kenward. I still have no idea what Prios looks l ...more
John Carroll
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of action in this culmination to the trilogy. I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. There are strong relationships and friendships throughout. I've always been a big fan of character driven stories. I like to get to know the individuals and love/hate them. Catrin and her friends are definitely likable.

The villain doesn't quite become the archenemy that I expected. There's not enough of his motivation and personality that comes through. He seems more of a politician gone power h
Debbie
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series, including "Call of the Herald" and "Inherited Danger" , was a great read. The story is fast paced, the characters well developed and the writing is mostly well done. Once in a while there was a phrase that seemed out of place for the setting of the story - a little too colloquial at times. I noticed that most in the first book, so I think the author changed his style a little by the third book.

For anyone who like fantastical tales with magic and dragons and even pirates, this is a g
Caffee K.
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy
Shelves: rathbone
With the conclusion of the first trilogy, Rathbone has come into his own. The action keeps you turning the pages, and the heroine has her hands full with survival.

While things may be a tad slow to get moving when the book opens, if you're like me, and have just engaged in a Godsland reading binge, this is a great chance to catch your breath, and think about what is going on in the world.

Through this installment of the series, the main character continues to develop, and yet retains her believabl
Nor'dzin Pamo
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The quality of writing continues through this third book of the initial trilogy. Although there are clearly more books to come, Dragon Ore rounds up the first story satisfactorily. It is a good ending and all characters are accounted for. Thank you Brian Rathbone for having the courtesy to the reader of making the story complete rather than leaving some sort of teaser in the hope of hooking the reader into the next set of books. I simply did not read the first chapter of the next book included a ...more
Roderick Baxter
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compressed Saga

Between the covers of this book is a tale that is just waiting to be told. Brian Rathbone could have written a LOTR style epic but instead chose to write a compact version of a yarn, that seemed to threaten, at every page turn, to burst forth into an awe inspiring and enjoyable story.
Although somewhat disappointed by the shortness of this trilogy. I never the less enjoyed reading the trials of Catrin as she struggles to come to terms with her role as the Herald of Istra and her e
Lisa Cox
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd, and my favorite, in the Godsland Series. I thought the 2nd left too much hanging at the end, but this one answered most of my questions and didn't feel as dark throughout. I've really enjoyed the way the author has crafted the world of the books and the history that unfolds in the stories. We learn a lot more about its ancient history in this book. All three books were action-packed adventures, but this one felt non-stop. The author has a feel for handling the fast pace of actio ...more
Bill
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading this book with my 12 year old. It's a great epic story. So far very appropriate for a younger crowd. I personally like YA fantasy, and this would qualify for two reasons, it avoids overly mature themes, and it is also very readable. This is well written, we're enjoying it quite a bit. I would say it's not an epic on the scale of GRRM, or even The Wheel of Time or Harry Potter. But the world is fresh, the characters are decent, and each book makes me want to read the next.

I think it's a p
Maureen
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first two books of this trilogy wove seamlessly into this one. I am so enjoying this series that I have now bought book 4 which is the first in the next trilogy of the Godland series. My only criticism would be that you really needed to have read the first books, as there is no precis of the previous story to bring you up to speed, (and if some time has elapsed between books it is difficult to remember all the details of the story).
Having said that - I thought the story was great, and gettin
Gerold Whittaker
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book 3 of a trilogy:
I read the free Sample downloaded from Smashwords and listened to the rest of the book via the free podcasts on iTunes.

There were aspect of this book I really enjoyed: like the dragon which Catrin rescues. In the battle between good and evil that Catrin gets entangled in, it is the dragon which saves the day. What I did not enjoy is Catrin has this incredible power - she can do unbelievable things when trouble strikes, yet at times would do the stupidist things....
Ryan Snyder
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
A lot of things get explained in the last 2 books that made me go "oooh". What a very creative angle on the author's part. I enjoyed how he turned that certain aspect in the book around- it was a pleasant surprise. The world and setting remained beautiful in my mind. However, I still has a bit of a problem with the characters. I feel like the book ended on a good note. I hear there is another book published in the same world. I may or may not check it out. ;) Okay, I probably will. The world was ...more
Peter Plantec
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this is a YA series with a lot of bloodshed. But in a good way. Here there be dragons...yes, dragons appear in this last of the trilogy and our Hero's journey continues against mounting odds and evil foes. with cool characters and self discovery all mixed with grand adventure in a well written account. Another page turner in this coming of age series. This third book leads into the next Trilogy which I am already deep into. I don't usually read like this...one book after another. I don't e ...more
Jonathan Westberg
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
The series was enjoyable enough that I read all three books and I think the story line was a good one. The reason I gave all of the books in this series three stars is because things just went by too quickly. The characters traveled from one place to another that was days away and I never turned a page. I think that there should have been more time spent on details and character development to give the story a little more depth.
Jodi
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: podcast
Brian continued his streak of excellent story telling and kept me anxious to tune in to hear the next episode. I really enjoyed the 3rd installment of The Dawning of Power Trilogy and will recommend it on iTunes and Podiobooks. I love the dragon in the story and the humans don't disappoint either. It is a great ending to a great story with all unfinished business coming to a satisfactory conclusion. This book is suitable for all ages, but doesn't lack suspense or content.
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I ripped through this trilogy and wish that there were more books left to read. In fact, I feel rather disappointed and curiously empty with no books left to look forward to. I can only hope that Brian Rathbone can continue to produce more in the Godsland series, as he envisions. I feel guilty that I bought this book for so very little money as a Kindle edition and will gladly pay full price for future books.
Asl4u
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was alright... had a bit of a problem with it for being a bit "immature" (all around) until I realized that if I was TEN - this would have been an amazing book!...
so its a little younger than Young adult.. the logic is not solid and the details are a bit too well done... but as a story - its a good one.
The reader for the audio book was excellet!
Emilia
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from the third book in the trilogy, but you know what? It was pretty darn good. A real page turner, that's what. Some unexpected things happened. I like that. I don't know that I'm interested enough to read the next six books, tho. (It's a 9 book series of three consecutive trilogies. I think.)
Kara Prem
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad book, a good conclusion to the series, but it seems like the biggest confrontation came in the middle, and the book just ended. I would have hoped for a bit more finality with the end of a trilogy, but it seems like there's a 2nd trilogy in the works. Worth the read, and if you go in expecting that the story isn't ending, it may feel more complete.
Jill Thiry
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book 3 certainly picked up pace and I was again excited and expectantly waiting to find out what would happen next with each turning of the page. If you enjoy books with magic, dragons, action and adventure - then you'll definitely want to travel to "godsland" with Catrin Volker and her guardians and companions.
Jason
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mighty mighty B.R. saves the best for last! This was a wonderful series that got better and better with every book! So much great adventure, laughter, fantastic feats of magic, and even a few tears. The conclusion and epilogue were very satisfying and wrapped up the trilogy perfectly. I highly recommend this series and look forward to more from this excellent, on-the-rise author!
Erin
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-not-free
A bit less exciting than the first two books, this was still an enjoyable read. There was one particular end result which won't surprise anyone (view spoiler), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A little bit of predictability doesn't ruin a book. In the end I would have liked more excitement/adventure but the plot still kept me interested.
Karen Graham
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still really enjoying the series. Great details, a well thought out plot, very realistic characters and delightfully brilliant imagery. Definitely recommend.

I was very glad to see there's a new trilogy after this one! yea!
  • The Battle of Verril (The Book of Deacon, #3)
  • Children of Another God
  • Legon Ascension (Legon Series #2)
  • Limerick  (The Shimmer Trilogy, #2)
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
  • Crossover (The Chosen One Trilogy, #1)
  • Beyond Hades (The Prometheus Wars, #1)
  • Fire-Heart (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is #2)
  • Avion (The Crystal Rose Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vengeful Malice (The Hungering Saga, #2)
  • Exodus (New Frontiers #3)
  • The Serpent and the Grail (Arthor, #4)
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - Last Shots
  • The Sin Eater's Promise (Of Angels and Demons #1.5)
  • Anomaly of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #3)
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
  • Summon Kassern (Archangels Creed, #1)
Fantasy author Brian Rathbone
A former horse trainer and computer programmer, Brian Rathbone used his old world knowledge and love of fantasy fiction to create The World of Godsland fantasy series, which begins with The Dawning of Power trilogy.

The World of Godsland fantasy series includes:

Regal
The Fifth Magic
Dragonhold
The Seventh Magic

The Dawning of Power (3 books)
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
“Things have improved a great deal," Brother Vaughn said. "The dragons have driven off the Gholgi, and the crew has been able to make many of the needed repairs.” 0 likes