Start by marking “The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
After half a century of widespread speculation about UFOs and abductions by aliens, a distinguished historian reveals why aliens have come, and exposes their frightening plans for planet Earth. It is a disturbing picture of aliens integrating themselves into our society and relegating humans to an inferior status.The result of three decades of research, this book answers s ...more
Published January 15th 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Threat, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Owlseyes
UPDATE
One would easily be led to conclude from Jacobs book that the abduction/alien phenomenon is a contemporary thing. Take a look at this Egyptian mummy and then reappraise things up,... temporally*.

"We have been invaded. It is not an occupation but it is an invasion. At present we can do little or nothing to stop it.”

David Jacobs in Secret Life: Firsthand Accounts of UFO Abductions (1992)

“It is disturbing that the aliens and hybrids are primarily concerned with the Earth and not with human
Michael Zynda
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alien Agenda angst.

Wonderful research from an honest and skillful investigator! Terrific groundwork that paints a fascinating picture of what intelligent forces may quite possibly be operating around us. One of the latest theories put forth is that the Grays are actually trying to prepare us for countering a serious threat from a taller race of cruel insectisoid aliens, that even the highly evolved grays can't contain. Word is that our entire fleet of anti gravity craft have vanished and our gov
Lucy Troke
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
thoroughly enjoyed the book. u have to get to know the alien subject before u jump straight into reading this book. cos he goes far out with his conclusions what he thinks. but I love it how he makes it clear its not all made up by hoaxes and the hypnotists aren't planting the ideas into there patients head, tells how u can avoid this. very good insight into the subject would warn you though by the end of it all...... your guna find it hard to sleep!! and even harder to take it all in. not for t ...more
Samira Elytess
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: alien-ets
The book is about ETs gynecological lab and their breeding program between ETs and abductees, and abductees with abductees. Jacobs speculates that their agenda for such experiments is to populate Earth with Hybrids, or replace humanity with this upgraded advanced species.

But is this secret agenda really a Threat?
Lets see...
who is destroying the forest? polluting waters?disrupting weather?poisoning foods? causing wars? bask in the glory of religion stupidity and sheep mentality? takes pride in ig
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of UFO stories
Recommended to Elizabeth by: David London
Shelves: alien-abduction
It sounds interesting, and it was recommended to me from a writer in Hawaii. I'm going to write erotic SF/alien abduction erotica for his new web site. I'm looking forward to starting this book. It's supposedly based on fact. A psychologist hypnotizes people who claims they have been abducted by aliens, and he reports on what they told him. I will use this book as a jumping point for my erotic paranormal/alien fiction.

UPDATE: I finished the book. It was a bit long-drawn-out, but I enjoyed it. Th
Richards Cw
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Threat is the most creative book I have ever read and my personal favorite. Regardless of how you feel about the subject, Jacobs, demonstrates a strong thesis and backs it up with loads of clear support. Simply Amazing Non-Fiction.
Kristen Johansen
Jan 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Jacobs quickly goes after other researchers and attempts to invalidate their work, namely John Mack. BUT, Jacobs is guilty of the very thing he accuses them of only from a different corner. By page 55, he has already shown 3 times that he led his subjects into doubt of their experience with his skepticism. Yet, he accuses Mack of being too neutral, thus encouraging a subject to give false memories. Both approaches have obvious dangers, but I find that Mack's is less likely to lead a subject off ...more
Dan DalMonte
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a clearly written and carefully argued work. It is serious. I'm not saying you should believe it. Jacobs studied accounts of people who claim to have been abducted by aliens and came to believe that aliens are trying to reproduce with humans in order to produce hybrids. He thinks the hybrids are gradually going to implements the Change, in which aliens produce a utopian society that may not include non-abductees. Jacobs argues with so-called positivists who claim that the aliens have ben ...more
K.J. Joyner
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Eye-opening research and personal confirmations abounded while reading this book. I am grateful for researchers like Dr. Jacobs that are willing to stick to the facts and report them without any sugar coating nor personal conjecture.

Dr. Jacobs' writing style is perfect: it's like a decent red wine. It's just dry enough to be informative but not so dry as to be boring. The information within is arranged in a linear, easy to understand fashion covering each topic using examples both from his resea
Mark W Begley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and terrifying

Academic method to unravel the purpose of abduction events. David lets the reader form his own opinions based upon a strictly controlled and non-assumptive approach. He presents cases for optimism and dread.
Salman
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
"The Threat" focuses on the Alien Agenda as well as the UFO Phenomenon. The book is written in a tone that may seem humorous to those who are not completely open to the idea of extraterrestrials living outside of our own planet.

The book was a good read, especially because of the many real stories and encounters given within the book and how the author (an experienced person in the field) places the individuals under hypnosis in order to get more vivid descriptions of each event.

The book is very
J.E. Turcotte
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Well... that was creepy. At first, reading a previous book by this author, I thought he might be leading his hypnotees... and yet, they kept contradicting him, which I found puzzling, too. He went on in both the previous and this book to explain that, and it sounds reasonable to me. That he's only using content that is being repeated (confirmed?) from myriad abductees helps solidify the plausibility as well. To that end, his conclusions in THIS book are a little disturbing. I still think there i ...more
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-class, nonfic
Read for an American folklore class at Penn. Terrifying book as you're reading it, terrifying book if you believe it, the thing is....I don't. But HE does. Professor Jacobs, at the time (I believe still?) a professor at Temple University, came to speak to my class. He honestly and truly believes that we are doomed.

It is a good read for those who enjoy The Mothman Prophecies etc. for those who are willing to suspend disbelief and read it as nonfiction, or those who are willing to read it as horr
Ned Leffingwell
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Conspiracy nuts
This book was not what I expected. The author states that aliens are using humans for a breeding program. His evidence is based on testimony that he obtained from abductees. I think that something happened to those people but I just don't know about the breeding thing. I would have liked to read more about the physical evidence of abductions. The author mentioned it but didn't spend a lot of time on it.
Neida
An interesting book. While a relatively short book, this is an in-depth look at the alien abduction phenomena. The author concentrates on several cases and goes into quite a bit of detail for some of the cases. Some of the descriptions of the alleged abductees are chilling, some make no sense, but overall this is a compelling read.
Mihai
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well written, very disturbing (I couldn't sleep properly for a month after finishing the book asking myself if this book can be true), but in the end I believe it is only a masterfully concocted fiction from beginning to end. Only future will tell if I am right or wrong. In principle, it is possible that this book is true, but in reality I don't think it is.
Michael
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-unexplained
Interesting conclusions on the "alien" abduction phenomenon. The author highlights the situation as having negative consequences for the abductees and subscribes to a belief that the agenda behind it will have detrimental consequences for humanity.
Andrew Steenbergen
Food for Thought

No matter how you feel about the topic of alien abduction, you have to admit this author has done his homework and presented an image worthy of deep thought. I found his arguments to be entirely rational and in need of sober, serious consideration.
Phillip
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
extremely fascinating and intriguing.There have been too many reports of abductions worldwide to ignore the possibility.Great reading for those who have had these experiences,in helping them to make sense of such experiences,and to help them understand what may have happened to them.
Chelsea
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those not afraid to question the world around them
Recommended to Chelsea by: Jamie SLCBC
Shelves: read-crypto
This book is a trip. I don't recommend it to everyone seeing as it is a non-fiction. I'd say it might be a little scary for people who aren't rooted and are afraid to question the world around them. Fun book, however, for the rest of us and even more fun when traveling. Watch out!
Nik
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: extraterrestrial
truly mind blowing. this book is not easy to digest and to me these are the facts. Detailed somewhat and very disturbing.
Mh8000
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beginning is a bit boring, but to the end the book is chilling.
Mandy
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Vacation
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • Operation Trojan Horse
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • Lilith's Cave: Jewish Tales of the Supernatural