Start by marking “It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here: My Journey Through Show Business” as Want to Read:
It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here: My Journey Through Show Business

It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here: My Journey Through Show Business

Although Charles Grodin has enjoyed stardom, his career has had its share of catastrophic setbacks, and Grodin writes about them with candor and liberating humor, dispensing invaluable advice about the art of surviving in the celluloid jungle.
Published November 17th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here

Start your review of It Would Be So Nice If You Weren't Here: My Journey Through Show Business
Susan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Would've given this book 5 stars if he'd mentioned The Great Muppet Caper.
Jim
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book seemed to take forever. I like Charles Grodin less now. Not so funny -- funniest parts were King Kong and Midnight Run. And surprisingly bitter.

As I first started it -- and suffered through his childhood with him -- I was surprised to find that I was thinking that it was a Charles Grodin movie, as his character seemed to reflect that. I then realized that maybe that wasn't so strange, that maybe it was by design, but then in a number of places -- especially in the section for the
Abed Gheith
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an intriguing bio. I'm obsessed with really good famous people stories and I loved this. You see a great actor have a shitty career. It shows just how messed up Hollywood can be to an original and unique talent like Grodin. Though it doesn't make it up to the Beethoven and Clifford (MY FAVE) years. It's truly interesting and quite a tale. My buddy Demorge recommended it and said it has a lot of significance today. As the same old crap still happens to talented people trying to get some ...more
Peter Martin
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only intended to revisit one chapter, and then found myself reading the whole thing again. Grodin's writing is amiable, unadorned, and conversational. Of course, it's packed with anecdotes, but I appreciated his willingness to open up about himself without divulging too much information about his family. A good pick-me-up.
Amy
I had this book on my TBR pile for a long time and when I finally picked it up to read, I was less than enchanted. It's a nice enough book, about a nice enough man. It's just me. Sigh.... I think I expected more verve from Grodin.
Seth
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Charles Grodin and think he's one of our most underrated actors. I spent much of the 2000's hoping for him to have a Bill Murray-esque renaissance to no avail. This droll memoir is some comfort.
Mgmlioness
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i read this book eons ago, and i still find myself remembering snippets and quotes from it all this time later... Charles Grodin has such a funny outlook on life and a way with words, it was kind of a letdown when i got towards the end of the book! i wanted more...
Andy
Jun 24, 2008 added it
One of my favorites...you can read this book in a day...impossible to put down.
Mary Bryan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, but then I love Charles Grodin. There were times with this book that I had tears running down my face because it was so funny.
Janna
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads
A funny and poignant memoir about show business that I enjoyed.
Ron Ecklebarger
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of the making of a movie star!
Holly Weiss
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rec. Tracie Higgins
Michelle
Apr 16, 2012
Deborah f Tweten
Dec 25, 2017
Mark Rabiner
Best darned book i ever read!
Danielle Scheid
Jun 27, 2015
Terry Schumacher
Apr 07, 2014
Pat Cummings
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2013

• How to Be a Movie Star: Elizabeth Taylor in Hollywood
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • The Other Tudors: Henry VIII's Mistresses and Bastards
  • Fortunate Son: The Best of Dave Marsh
  • Mid-life Confidential: The Rock Bottom Remainders Tour America with Three Chords and an Attitude
  • Princess Sultana's Daughters
  • Gather Together in My Name
  • Change Me into Zeus's Daughter: A Memoir
  • Papa John: An Autobiography by John Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas)
  • The Path to Power
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
  • Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
Charles Grodin is an Emmy Award-winning American actor, comedian, author and former cable talk show host.