Start by marking “Shutter Island” as Want to Read:
Shutter Island

Shutter Island

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  165,272 ratings  ·  8,449 reviews
The basis for the blockbuster motion picture directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Shutter Island by New York Times bestselling author Dennis Lehane is a gripping and atmospheric psychological thriller where nothing is quite what it seems. The New York Times calls Shutter Island, “Startlingly original.” The Washington Post raves, “Brilliantly conceive ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published April 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Shutter Island, please sign up.
Joker Absolutely!! The book will make you understand the movie much better.
beside the movie did not show the whole story. …more
Absolutely!! The book will make you understand the movie much better.
beside the movie did not show the whole story. (less)
Todd Yes and no. Some plots twist, yes, but the book grants for more twists and turns than the movie. There were a few things taken out of the movie that m…moreYes and no. Some plots twist, yes, but the book grants for more twists and turns than the movie. There were a few things taken out of the movie that might interest you. You haven't seen it in a while which is good so hopefully the story would feel new to you again. And the ending was slightly changed in the movie, in my opinion. (less)

·  165,272 ratings  ·  8,449 reviews

Start your review of Shutter Island
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Ashecliffe Hospital sat on the central plain of the island's northwestern side. Sat begnignly, I might add. It looked nothing like a hospital for the criminally insane and even less like the military barracks it had been before that. Its appearance reminded most of us, in point of fact, of a boarding school.

Teddy and Chuck are called out to the island to try and find out what happened to one of the inmates. She just escaped. There really isn't a way she could escape but there you have it.

Th
Ahmad Sharabiani
Shutter Island, Dennis Lehane

Shutter Island is a novel by American writer Dennis Lehane, published by Harper Collins in April 2003. A film adaptation was released in February 2010.

In 1954, widower U.S. Marshal Edward "Teddy" Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, go on a ferry boat to Shutter Island, the home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando (who was incarcerated for drowning her three children). Despite being kept
Annemarie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's been two months since I've read this book, but I still can't stop thinking about it. In my opinion, it was absolutely perfect. I didn't feel bored for even a single second. The story was fast paced, but not too fast - it had just the right pace.

I fell in love with the characters pretty much right away. I'm not even exactly sure why, all of them just seemed interesting in their own way. Enough of their backstory was given for me to become attached to them and I would love to have even more m
Will Byrnes
I have read Mystic River, and this is no Mystic River. It is an interesting novel with a fun twist that I found unbelievable. Many think more of it than I did. I have not seen the film, so can offer no opinion on whether it is better or worse, faithful to the book or not. IMHO, it is LeHane light. feel free to skip it.

description
image, based on the film, drawn from the site Collider
Bill
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The night I finished this, my mind was left reeling from it for a couple of hours and the next day I was unable to get it out of my head.

Shutter Island is a departure from the Kenzie/Gennaro series and
it's one of those novels that will certainly leave you pondering the whole story once you're finished it.
The less you know about the story, the better. Suffice it to say, this is an excellent read and there are very few novels I have read that made my head buzz for hours after.
Don't miss this, re
Mario
...he hated how fucked up and obscene the world and everything in it had become.

Well... fuck.

I decided to wait for at least one day before writing this review because I needed time to process this book. But even though more than 24 hours passed, I still haven't processed it even a bit.

Not in a long time did I read a book that grabbed me as Shutter Island did. When I was reading this book, and I had to put it down to do some other stuff, it followed me everywhere. When I wasn't reading it, I su
Carol
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I honestly thought my opinion of this book would be greatly influenced by my having seen the film, but it wasn't. I was completely blown away reading this one. This was probably one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever read. I loved how I got confused and then thought I figured it out, but then was totally confused all over again, until right near the end, at which point everything came to light.
Paul
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another in your face, gritty, and extremely well written book by Dennis Lehane. He does such a great job with character development and keeping things smoothly developing from its origins. Very well done.
Lou
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Photobucket
An isolated island, a raging hurricane, a locked room, secret codes, a mental hospital, and rumors of mysterious medical experiments frame the story. Written in a very different style compared to Lehane's previous novels Mystic river and Gone baby gone. The plot is not the simplest of plots, i was scratching my head intrigued because the story flips through past present and surreal. It is a disorienting, complex story grounded in the reality of the times...cold war USA in 1954. From ponderin
Dem
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a terrific supense novel by Denis Lehane. Even though I had seen the movie many years ago I had always wanted to read the book and was so glad I did as I had forgotten the plot anyhow and the book proved to be so well written and intriguing that it had me on the edge of my seat.

The novel is set of the Massachusette's coast in an army facility turned hopital for the criminally insane. This book is full of twists and turns and really packs a punch. I loved the fact theat the author at the ver
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did Bird Box or Dark Matter mess with your brain ? Ha ! This one is the best. Total mind melt. I had no idea it was a movie. I can't wait. I loved this book and I love Dennis Lehane as a new author I have found. How do they think about that stuff? Are they crazy? I couldn't sleep at night. It's that good and eerie. Shudder !!

I highly recommend for eerie suspense with lots of twists and turns
Mariah Roze
I read this book for my hometown book club. Surprisingly, I have never heard of Shutter Island, but now after reading this book I will have to check out the movie too.

I was hoping for this book to be much better than it was. Even after reading it I feel it could have been but there were soooo many twists and turns I couldn't keep up. I love when books catch you by surprise or completely change. However, this book was not executed well and had too many twists and turns that the author didn't exec
Bren
“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?”
― Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island

Shutter Island is one of the best films I have ever had the pleasure of seeing and I saw the film way before I ever read the book.

This is one of those cases where the book and the film are equal to each other. They are both so fantastic.

The movie really follows the book greatly. This is not one of those things where one is totally different then the other so if you are reading this and you, like
Jason Koivu
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Good lord, I was not expecting that! Heck of a good read, in my book!

Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island started off well for me and my tastes. Federal Marshals going into an insane asylum/prison on an inescapable island in Massachusetts during post-WWII to find a missing crazy woman, who apparently escaped. Love the setting, the characters, everything!

From here on out this review contains all kinds of spoilers, so you just stop right here, Miss I-Haven't-Read-This-But-Plan-To.

description

The set-up story roped
Emma
Well. I've only recently started reading a bit more in the thriller genre than I have in decades and I think it's safe to say I'm out of practise! This book was SO SO good, I can't tell you. About half way through I felt I had had enough *thrilling* for the day and put the book down. Tried to read something else...my mind kept coming back to it...picked it up again....got spooked....walk away Emma, walk away...it's getting late, it's dark, it's raining hard...the lunatics are taking over the asy ...more
Erin
Thriller A Thon: Revisit an author or book.

Jar of Death Pick # 11(7th finished)

I tried to read this book years ago but after about 50 pages I lost interest. I broke my rule in this case because I watched the movie first. I have seen every Leonardo DiCaprio movie so I just decided to see the movie and then eventually get around to the book.

Flash Forward 10 years I finally read the book!

First can we all agree that Shutter Island is a great name for a spooky book.

Shutter Island takes place on S
Charlotte May
I kind of ruined this for myself having already seen the film. Despite this, the book was suspenseful and exciting - I really believed the unreliable narrator and thought it was incredible how the story unraveled and then twisted at the end. Each character was mysterious with both protagonistic and antagonistic qualities - I was never sure who was on the right or wrong side if there even were sides and who to trust - much like the main character felt I imagine. I got right into the heart of the ...more
Camie
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Veteran US Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner Chuck Aule are called to Shutter Island on assignment to find a murderess who has escaped from Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane, and is loose on the island. Of course, it's during a violent hurricane, which lends the book it's " it was a dark and stormy night" factor along with other strange happenings . This book was a runner up for 2011 Goodreads Thriller /Suspense award.This is not my usual genre, but especially if you missed t ...more
Sue
SHUTTER ISLAND a creepy psychological mystery thriller by Denis Lehane, will have your skin crawling long after you finish it. This book is full of twists and turns and really packs a punch.

The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new -partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple-murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this barren island, despite having been kep
Richard
Dennis Lehane took a big leap in his work with this first novel following his stunner of a masterpiece, Mystic River, tackling a period piece for the first time, with a story that somehow both narrowed and widened his scope. It's about two U.S. Marshalls stuck on a job at an island-based criminal asylum, tracking down an escaped convict during a dangerous hurricane.

I haven't read this in a while but I remember it being such a great example of a popular best-seller that fully deserved the attent
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
“The brain controls pain. It controls fear. Sleep. Empathy. Hunger. Everything we associate with the heart or the soul or the nervous system is actually controlled by the brain. Everything. What if you could control it?”
― Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island

…..so what exactly is going-on on this island???

1954, Federal Marshal Edward “Teddy” Daniels, WWII vet, and his new partner Chuck Aule are assigned to investigate the disappearance of a woman from a federal penitentiary for the criminally insane on
Bill Khaemba
UPDATE: THE MOVIE ADAPTATION WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECTION
“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?”

mind blown reaction supernatural wtf fuuu
Literally my face during some parts of the book

Oh man! Oh man! It's 1:30 am on 13th July 2016 and I have just finished this book 5 min ago and holy fuck that was a ride. I can't control myself, I literally feel like lying on the floor and just let everything that I have read sink in.

I have been reading a lot of good books lately but I
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

Two U.S. Marshalls have been dispatched to Shutter Island - a location much like Alcatraz which houses an inescapable fortress for insane prisoners. The job of the partners is to find a female patient/murderer who has disappeared, while also having the unfortunate timing of having to battle a hurricane simultaneously. What the duo initially came to investigate and what they actually end up discovering are VERY different things.

I re
Shaina
Okay, so this review also pulled a Houdini. Well, here we go.
I love this book. It was the second e-book I bought. I wanted to read it before the movie came out. I didn’t have much of an idea what it was about except for a case and an island and an asylum. That was enough for me. It was historical fiction with some suspense and psychological thriller.
I have read this book so many times and should buy the movie be on I always feel compelled to watch it even though I’m really not a DiCaprio fan.
Hirdesh
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic Psychological thriller.
Great writing, great theme, great pace of story.
Psycho-lovers should read it once, they would never be upset or disappointed with it.Book Comprised about the experiment was used by Nazis around II WW with the Human brain.
Love it. Enjoyed it alot.
Ken
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a rule I like to read the book before seeing the movie, especially if it's a mystery or a thriller.
I can't remember if I'd seen a trailer or spotted the movie tie-in edition in the shops first but it looked like something I'd enjoy.

This psychological hit didn't disappoint, following U.S. Marshals Teddy and Chuck who are investigating the disappearance of patient Rachel Solando at Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane.
As the duo explore the hospital they soon start to realise that ever
Art the Turtle of Amazing Girth
Could not put it down until finished in my second sitting with it! (over 240 pgs)

Suspenseful, mysterious, superbly written, this is in the top books I've read period.

Simona B
4.5

“There is no moral order as pure as this storm we've just seen. There is no moral order at all. There is only this—can my violence conquer yours?”

It turned out that the fact that I'd already seen the movie didn't spoil my reading experience at all. Short comment to come!
Annalisa
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and violence
I'm not even sure what to say about this book without giving anything away. US Marshal Teddy Daniels shows up at rocky island that's an asylum for the criminally insane to track a patient that disappeared from a locked cell. While on the island, he gets the sense that the doctors are hiding something and sets out to obtain evidence that they are experimenting illegally on patients. As Daniels uncovers secrets, you become more confused about what is actually happening at the hospital.

I'm vague to
Kaora
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never seen the movie, but I had a general idea of what happened due to seeing certain scenes while my husband was watching.

Shutter Island is the story of U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule who are sent to Shutter Island. Shutter Island is the place for the insane, who are a danger to others. The people here have committed horrible atrocities, and one of these people Rachel Solando has escaped. Rachel drowned her three children. As a story bears down on the island Te
Drop Everything A...: Shutter Island 3 22 Nov 13, 2020 07:40AM
Books2Movies Club: Shutter Island - book and movie 5 26 Aug 26, 2020 10:24AM
Play Book Tag: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane - 4 stars 4 25 Jan 02, 2020 09:25AM
Der "Erwachsenen-...: Leserunde: Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane 16 17 Sep 11, 2019 09:20AM

• Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Misery
  • The Zombie Room
  • Shutter Island
  • Final Girls
  • Pretty Girls
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • In a Dark, Dark Wood
  • Sometimes I Lie
  • Into the Water
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Couple Next Door
  • The Firm
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?” 196 likes
“He wanted to ask her what sound a heart made when it broke from pleasure, when just the sight of someone filled you the way food, blood, and air never could, when you felt as if you'd been born for only one moment and this, for whatever reason, was it.” 145 likes