Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Book Five (The Walking Dead #49-60)” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Book Five (The Walking Dead #49-60)

The Walking Dead, Book Five

(The Walking Dead (Hardcover Edition) #5)

This hardcover features another 12 issues of the hit series along with the covers for the issues all in one oversized hardcover volume. Perfect for long time fans, new readers, and anyone interested in reading a zombie movie on paper that never ends. Collects The Walking Dead #49-60.
Published May 5th 2010 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Book Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Book Five

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,572 books — 4,266 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoFeed by Mira GrantThe End by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
1,407 books — 2,998 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Book Five (The Walking Dead #49-60)
Anne
You want to know what I love about this series so far? Well, I'm telling you anyway. I love the way it looks like everything is headed in one direction, and then it takes off in entirely different direction. I feel like I'm always getting hit upside the head with the proverbial shovel!

description

For example: Andrew & Rick.
It looked like those two were going to kill each other by the middle of this sucker! And then {spoilery stuff happens} (view spoiler)
Pantelis Andreou
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Forgot how amazing this is and so much superior from the tv series..
hopefully this one stays genuine and exciting as it is!
Dan
Really breezed through this one too! Only in seven days instead of six this time.

The professional artist alive today that is probably the best at drawing zombies is Bernie Wrightson (they should get him to do a cover of The Walking Dead, I mean I believe I read somewhere that comic book legend Neal Adams did a cover for the series). However, Charlie Adlard is also pretty good at it too. In the back of all these books, there is a "Sketchbook" part, which includes preliminary thumbnails, sketches
Marta
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out on the road again - I can't believe how much they are going through and it is still always new territory.
Jesse A
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fine but I think I'm done. Im tired of saying "Kinda dull but boy that ending was amazing". Its just so many long stretches of dullness.
Hayden
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll keep this review short, to avoid spoiling. Book Five picks up in the aftermath of the unbelieveable final stand in Book Four, with Rick and Carl picking up the pieces and trying to find the remaining members of their group. Taking a break from the fast-paced action of books Three and Four, this instead shows the group as they grieve and cope with the enormous tragedy of what happened at the prison, and how their relationships strengthen (or in some places, crumble).

This was a tough read, ju
Peter McCambridge
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have a ton of respect for anyone who can tell a great story.
Sarah Yasmin
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Holla The Walking Dead fans!

I've been away for a while for my graduation day in mid of September, and now I'm gonna continue my book review. Yayy!

Okay now. After finish reading Book 5, I found it was a little bit slow and full of sadness! Sometimes there's a few issues that just makes me feel disappointed, compared to Book 4 which got me jump and felt overwhelm to continue read the whole stories.

Most of casts are dead in Book 4. There's Carl and Rick left picking up the pieces, living alone taki
Callie *Fights Censorship*
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I gave this book 3 stars instead of 2 for a few reasons, the first is that we are introduced to a new character that I actually enjoy, Abraham. Sencondly, we get more Carl, possibly the only other character that interrests me. Thirdly, we go back to Rick's home town and find out what happened to Morgan and his son. Lastly, we see Rick slipping into crazy a few times and that is always interesting.

The idea for these comics is so great that I am deeply saddened by the poor writting in which the au
Adam Stone
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there's a flaw in volumes two through four of The Walking Dead, it's that the survivors spend too long in the same place. This is clearly intentional, as their being too accustomed to their situation is what enables the massacre at the end of Book Four. I would refer to this book as "Roamers" as this volume is a good old fashioned road trip, akin to the second half of Book One. And it's what we need. New Faces, a constantly evolving situation, nobody having time to debate the decision making ...more
Carlos
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book you should first read teh first 4 books becase if not you wouldnt understand this amazing story, befire reading the entire serie I wasnt sure to read them because I just saw the TV show and I thought that they were the same, they wasnt.I could say that the story they tell on the books I so much better tha n the one on the TV show because it has more drama, more deaths and more difficult challenges to Rciks group.I would recomend this book to people that love readng comic ...more
B.A. Wilson
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love these. I should have read them sooner. Also, I may have to go back and rewatch the series after this, so I can better compare them. I'm noticing more and more differences, and I'm starting to wonder if I just don't remember the series that well after all this time. But I suspect that there are just some major differences, and I'm interested to see how it all plays out.

Pages: 304
Jake
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS AHEAD: This book was amazing! After the group is forced out of the prison by the Governor, they must find a place to recuperate from the attack. They stumble upon a gas station and Rick and Abraham must go find some weapons at Ricks old police station. Carl insists that he go with them and the unexpected happens. I recommend you read this if you are into these types of books because it definitely keeps up with the action and suspense!
Amanda
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
After the slaughter at the prison, Carl and Rick are alone in the open, keeping a constant vigil against the walking dead. They are not alone for long, though, quickly finding Michonne and the other survivors. Soon yet another group of strangers stumbles upon them. These ones, though, claim that one among them is a scientist who knows how the whole plague started, and they're heading to DC to put a stop to it.

This entry in the series could easily be called, "The survivors start losing their damn
Dave Mevis
Very different from TV series
Dave
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Abby
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Abby by: Noah S.
Shelves: graphic-novel
In Book 5 of The Walking Dead, many of the original cast of characters are dead, missing or otherwise no longer living. The few survivors are struggling to keep their sanity (Rick!) and children are growing up too fast and too soon, taking on more responsibility than they should as the adults fall apart.

Towards the middle there are some new characters introduced, new tensions built, and a new leader taking shape. Where this will go from here is anyone's guess (who hasn't read Book 6 yet).

I found
Melanie Ullrich
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I am rereading this graphic novel series and I still can't believe how the twists and turns of this ultimate survival story still surprise me! For anyone that thinks that this is just another zombie series, I think you'll be surprised to find that it's so much more! Throughout the series so far, Kirkman has shown that after a while the zombies are no longer the things to fear. Book 4 and 5 focus on how in extreme circumstances, your own kind and even worse, your own mind, can turn on you and bec ...more
Caroline
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hello. Hi I'm Caroline and I spent the month of April binge reading The Walking Dead comics.

This was another really entertaining book. It was still fast paced and exciting but there was also a lot of stuff that was setting it up for the next book to be really dramatic and exciting. I feel like I'm repeating myself in these reviews but there isn't heaps to say. I honestly just love this series- it is so entertaining and addictive!
Amy Bailey
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was mainly about character introduction and relationship development. This installment was a complete 180 from the last book in regard to character deaths, which was a nice break. We see Rick slipping a little bit further down the rabbit hole, but he makes a friend who's just as crazy (Abraham), so things start to feel a little more right. And in different ways, Rick and Michonne bond over their similar sort of craziness.
Gator Girl Eaton
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
It was good.
We get Eugene, Abraham and Rosita in this book.
Also Morgan is picked up when Abraham, Rick and Carl visit Rick's town to get guns, ammunition, etc from the police station where Rick worked.
It was on the way there that we have the intense scene where Rick literally goes berserk and kills the men who were going to mess with Carl.

And it ends with Dale just wanting to settle down but in this present world it's not possible.....especially as they experience their first HERD.
Sonic
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing powerful stuff! A chilling story with a lot of heart and soul, and plenty of thrills and spills. One of the best and most significant series available today! All my previous 4 stars for this series should be 5 stars!
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kruizzer Alvarez
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's too hard to take in wow. This series is really good. Reccomend to everyone!
Heather
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Not quite as engrossing as the previous one. I'd give it 3.5 stars if that was possible.
Jeff
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to enthrall me with each volume. Rick's relationship with his son is the standout feature in this collection.
Kelly Lyn
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
ABRAHAM!!!! :(
Thomas McBryde
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a continuation of an analysis of The Walking Dead comics. See the links below for it in chronological order.

Part I: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Part II: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Part III: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Part IV: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Part V: Messiah's and Madmen

When governments collapse and when normal infrastructure fails, a power vacuum emerges that inevitable needs to be filled. Anarchy can only exist for so long be
Georgina Parkin
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I really liked this one! Maybe I'm just getting more used to the style and that's why I'm enjoying it more, but I've gone from 'meh it was okay what's next' to now 'I NEED to know what happens'.

To be honest, a lot of the characters I didn't like are gone now and maybe that's what's making it better, or even just that they're on the move again and anything could happen..? It's getting much more dark as things go by, not just this group but all the bad guys that come along. I like dark stuff (usu
Ashley Lynne
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel like this is a transition point in the story...meaning, the story is transitioning from one direction to another. So the flow into the setup for the upcoming story made for less action and drama and intensity. Although don't get me wrong, all those were still present. Just not as prominent as usual.
Carl is becoming one of my favorite characters. I also feel so bad for Maggie.
I haven't seen anything from the tv show past the prison episodes, so I'm officially further in the comics! I'm e

• Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Heroes
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three
  • Fatale: Deluxe Edition, Volume One
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • モブサイコ100 2 (Mob Psycho 100, #2)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Villains
  • モブサイコ100 4 (Mob Psycho 100, #4)
  • モブサイコ100 3 (Mob Psycho 100, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Four
  • Crossed, Vol. 2: Family Values
  • The Dollhouse Family (2019-) #1
  • Batman: Gates of Gotham
  • Ronald Reagan in Private: A Memoir of My Years in the White House
  • A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity
  • The Witcher, Vol. 2: Fox Children
  • I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 2 (I am a Hero Omnibus, #2)
  • Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 4

The Walking Dead (Hardcover Edition) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Book One (The Walking Dead #1-12)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Two (The Walking Dead #13-24)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Three (The Walking Dead #25-36)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Four (The Walking Dead #37-48)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Six (The Walking Dead #61-72)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Seven (The Walking Dead #73-84)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Eight (The Walking Dead #85-96)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Nine (The Walking Dead #97-108)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Ten (The Walking Dead #109-120)
  • The Walking Dead, Book Eleven (The Walking Dead #121-132)