Start by marking “Love in Mid Air” as Want to Read:
Love in Mid Air

Love in Mid Air

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  1,015 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
A chance encounter with a stranger on an airplane sends Elyse Bearden into an emotional tailspin. Suddenly Elyse is willing to risk everything: her safe but stale marriage, her seemingly perfect life in an affluent Southern suburb, and her position in the community. She finds herself cutting through all the instincts that say "no" and instead lets "yes" happen. As Elyse em ...more
Published March 29th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love in Mid Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in Mid Air

Inside the Bone Box by Anthony FernerSummer at Tiffany by Marjorie HartThe Portable Veblen by Elizabeth MckenzieThere Are Things I Know by Karen B. GolightlyThe Kid Table by Andrea Seigel
Robin Egg Blue
146 books — 16 voters
With You Always by Jody HedlundEasy Prey by Lisa     PhillipsMaster of Illusion by Anne RouenNegentig dromen van Elise by Lucinda CarringtonYuletide Abduction by Virginia Vaughan
"Elise"
88 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Siv30
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: domestic-life
הספר הזה נע סביב 3.5 או 3.8 כוכבים לא ארבע אבל הוא כל כך הפתיע אותי בתכנים שלו שאני בהחלט מוכנה לעגל לו ל 4 כוכבים.

אליז בירדן פוגשת בג'רי בטיסה. הוא בנקאי השקעות היא מכיירת כדים ושניהם אומללים בנישואים שלהם. הוא נותן לה את הכרטיס שלו ואחרי תקופת התלבטות הם נפגשים בנמלי תעופה שונים ברחבי ארצות הברית.

אבל, מה שמתחיל כהבטחה לעוד רומאן בגידה עמוס בתיאורי סקס מהר מאוד הופך לחיבור על מהות הנישואים, האושר בתוך נישואים, על יחסים זוגיים ועל חברות בין נשים שבאמת אין בינהן כלום למעט מגורים בשכונה אחת וילדי
Irene
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gave-away
As an unmistakable respite from the contemporary fiction that I typically read, I optimistically chose Kim Wright’s debut novel, LOVE IN MID-AIR. I completely immersed myself in a surprisingly interesting cache of characters unconstrained in their lucid display of similar and diverse views of love, marriage, friendship, and infidelity while attached to a suburban lifestyle which not only suggests privilege, but also ambiguity with respect to some of the mores that ordinarily unite or divide such ...more
Bonnie
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

There are some books that need to be read when you’re at the right place in your life to be able to fully appreciate it. If you’re super happy in your current relationship I could see this being a very negative book, from that perspective. If you’ve had your relationship ups and downs and even occasionally daydream of simply running away from life, I believe you’d be able to understand this book more.

This was a very powerful book, and at first glance not a very happy on
Edward McKeown
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A cautionary tale of what happens when you treat a woman like an item of househould furniture. This is a voyage into the female mind and the nature of friendships between women. Not my usual reading, but I know the author and I found it very unusual and interesting, taking my mind in directions it doesn't normally go. Kim writes in a very natural way. I always hear her voice when reading her work I am in good company in liking the work as People, Kirkus and Publisher's weekly agreed with me. Sha ...more
Lori
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
From my blog:

This is author Kim Wright's debut work and if this book is any indication, she is looking at a successful career as a writer. Because this book is a literary grand slam.

From the first page, I was hooked. Hooked on Ms. Wright's writing style, hooked on the story and hooked on the characters. I literally snuck reading in whenever I could, so anxious was I to find out what was going on in Elyse's world, putting off sleep and household chores to read.

Elyse was a complex character. On
Colleen
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Though the underlying plot of a woman assessing her unhappy marriage is a common one, I found this treatment of it very unusual and original. I was delighted that the book focussed on a woman making decisions about her marriage rather than finding herself left behind for a younger woman. I mean, I'm married and so obviously frown upon the idea of adultery, but the thought of living in a marriage like Elyse's where your partner doesn't really see you or hear anything you say, and is content to be ...more
Ruth
Jul 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book.. what can I say. I thought the characters were shallow. I could hardly keep their histories straight and they were all so shallow and dissatisfied with their lives. Elyce the main character I kind of hated from the beginning and I just didn't believe in the immediate connection she makes with Gerry on the plane. There was almost nothing to it and we are supposed to believe there was this huge spark between them that compelled them to become lovers. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to f ...more
Jason Pettus
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing

So why do I continue to read so-called "chick-lit" novels on such a regular basis, a lot of people ask, when I end up despising so many of them? Well, because I'm convinced that there actually are a few titles out there in the world that manage to be not only smart and unexpected but that wallow in the tro
Mar 27, 2010 rated it liked it
From my blog...
Love In Mid Air is a novel, which looks into the world of marriage, one woman's in particular, who realises she no longer cares about her marriage. While Kim Wright wrote a splendid novel, it simply made me sad to think there are women living lives such as the woman in this novel. Kim Wright's character development is well done and one can easily imagine listening to Elyse, Belinda, Nancy, or Lynn and yet I related to none of her characters. I continued reading, hoping something w
Jolene
Oct 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Thanks for passing this on Irene!

This was definitely a page-turner. Once I started reading it, I was determined to get through it. Unsettling (for me) from the very start. Kind of like seeing how the other half lives.

I have to admit that I found Elyse despicable in the "Fall" section. I started getting into the characters a bit more in "Winter." Toward the end I was rooting for Phil and Lynn (and Tory).

While this story is not qute my cup of tea, Wright is a good writer and curiosity propelled m
Monica
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I started reading this book yesterday, I got behind on reading and realized, oh no, I have a blog tour tomorrow. So I pick up the book and start reading, and reading, and reading. I find myself so utterly engrossed in Elyse's life that I have completely tuned out of my own. That is what this book did for me, it let me lose myself for a little bit.

I feel a strong connection with Elyse, she is strong, she knows what she wants but she just doesn't quite know how to get it. She loved her daughter an
Gaby
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Love In Mid Air. Elyse is the lead character and although her failing marriage to Phil and her love affair with Gerry are critical and these relationships move the action forward, Elyse's friendship with Kelly is just as significant to the novel. It's the camaraderie and friendship of the different women in the book club, despite their small differences and occasional rivalries that made the characters come alive for me.

It's the dialogue that sets Love In Mid Air apart. Elyse's interna
Alicia
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I usually am deeply irritated by novels about infidelity because I can never figure out why the character doesn't do the right thing and divorce their spouse BEFORE they go out looking for someone new. Of course, that tends to make for a very short novel when the characters behave in sensible and rational ways but it almost always makes me not like and not care about characters who behave so dishonorably.

Anyway, back to this novel, I really liked this bo
Mike
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this book rocks! i'm a 30 year old male, probably not the intended audience for this book. but guess what? I'm completely hooked. i won't go with the cliche line, "I can't put it down." I can put it down, i just don't want to. it really is a compelling, thought-provoking story. check it out for sure.
Miriam
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this on my flight from New York to Roanoke. It's a fresh take on a novel about relationships. While so many focus on what happens AFTER a marriage goes awry, this one talks about HOW one goes awry in a very readable way.
Rochelle Roth
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-2018-tbr
Just finished Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright tonight. It was a fast read but I rated it 3 stars. The writing was really good but I didn’t love the characters. It’s about a woman who is coming up on 40 years old, her 10 year anniversary coming up and she meets a man on a flight and realizes her life as a stay a home mom and wife to a dentist is not what she wanted after all.

This was a 3 Star because although it was written well, the only feelings I felt through out the whole book was anger and an
Jonita
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Elyse Bearden is on a flight on the way back from a pottery show when she makes a decision that will change her life. She switches seats with a stranger and ends up sitting next to Gerry, the man who will cause her to question everything that she's ever believed in. After a brief but chemistry-filled encounter with him, she returns home to her passive husband Phil, her fulfilling pottery business, and her young daughter Tori, but suddenly things don't look the same as they always have.

Weeks late
Nely
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Elyse Beardon is on a flight back home to her husband and daughter when she sits down next to a stranger and they begin a conversation. This man and the feelings he brings out in her will make her question where she is in her life. She has been married for almost a decade now and her husband Phil is a great man... her only problem is that she has been trying for years to make their marriage work and she has begun to realize it is a losing battle.

Love in Mid Air is Elyse's struggle to find some s
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
When Elyse Bearden is on a flight home from Phoenix she meets a man that makes her question her life. She comes to realize that she’s not happy and begins to wonder what she should do about it. Should she give up so much of what she values – her home, her friends, her marriage – and take a chance, or should she stick with the safety of what she knows?

Love in Mid Air by Kim Wright is the story of Elyse’s struggle. Much of the struggle is internal, but some of it is discussed with her friends as w
Scherry Siganporia
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Readers! Have you ever been angry with the person you love? Have you ever wished 'he/she' went away ..far away from you for a day, a week, a month?? Do you realise how it is to live everyday and do the same routine..?? Well...the authoress does make us question our own relationships through this lovely story...written fabulously well...clearly bringing out the conflicts within a relationship. What struck me while reading this book is...all women think the same way!! So if you are dying to read s ...more
Jacqie
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this one as fast as I could. The main character is a late-thirties housewife who is also an artist. After a fateful meeting on a plane on the way back from a conference, she realizes that she truly does not want to be married anymore to her husband, "a perfectly nice man who I just can't seem to love." The novel is pitch-perfect in its exploration of the emotions of letting go. Fears of losing married friends, how your child will react, whether you can make it on your own financially- thi ...more
Bridget
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Elyse meets a man on an airplane and this one single act has changed her forever. She isn't the type of person who does the outrageous, spur of the moment, true love things like most hopeless romantics do. Now, here's the kicker, Elyse is married. She wants to trade her whole boring life for something more. This change in Elyse now has her friends wondering if life has more to offer them as well.

I love it when a woman's eyes are opened and she learns that it's time to start living her life her w
Julie
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adult men and women
Love in Mid Air is an introspective and honest tale of marriage and the importance of friends. Written by a woman, seemingly for women, men would benefit from reading this inside look into not just a woman's head, but her heart. Clever plot connections and descriptive intimate scenes broaden this books appeal to readers of both genders. I hope more men will read Love in Mid Air. I am certain women will.
Diana
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I completed this book within 24 hours. I had such a hard time putting it down. Kim managed to draw me into each character with vivid descriptions and amazing writing. The fact that this a debut novel would lead me to believe the author is going to have a very long successful career! I would highly recommend this book to anyone!
Lstirl
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see why this book has mixed reviews. As someone who has been in a marriage similar to Elyse's, I felt like she was in my head. The plot was rather mundane and lacking in suspense, but I still couldn't put it down. If you want a glimpse inside the head of a woman trapped in an unhappy marriage, this is a great read. If you want love, revenge and drama, this is not the book for you.
Renee
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
I almost gave this book five stars, just for the sheer talent, wit and cleverness of the writing. Simply, this book is about a close group of southern woman contemplating divorce. Although the content doesn't seem too earth shattering, and the main character is hardly likable; the author's writing carries any lacking subject matter. This is Kim Wrights debut, and she hits it out of the park.
Christine Paiva Stewart
This novel was quite dire and depressing, but I loved the style in which it was written. The language was most poetic.
The relationship btwn Elyse & Kelly was the most interesting part of the story, for me. I loved all Elyse's friends and the town she lived in. I did not love the ending, but I admit it kept me thinking LONG after the last page was read.
Beverly J.
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly moving book. It resonated so deeply with me. Highly recommend this book.
Jessie Persse
Dec 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Easy on the brain... thought provoking. Very much easy to relate to when you have been married for as long as me. Will probably forget this book by next week.
Susan
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down! Great read.
Love in Mid Air discussion group 3 38 May 19, 2010 01:28PM
  • How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly
  • With Friends Like These
  • The Year Without Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition #10)
  • Mr. Almost Right

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“In novels, women run off with their lovers. In real life, women stay.” 8 likes
“It's true," I admit. I put two fingers up to my throat to feel my pulse. "I've never trusted anybody to catch me.” 3 likes