Start by marking “Without Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Without Prejudice

Without Prejudice

Robert, recently returned to live in Chicago, is contacted by a childhood friend who has just completed more than twenty years in prison for a horrific crime. Without Prejudice is a compulsive story of race and the dangers that can lie in the past.
Published September 16th 2008 by Hutchinson (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Without Prejudice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Prejudice

Kinga
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Are all books set in Chicago crap or is it just my bad luck?

Robert Danziger, a middle aged publisher, moves back to Chicago, after having lived in the UK for many years. There he needs to confront his past when his black childhood friend seeks him out after having been released from prison after twenty odd years. Our Robert is a rather bland character, petty, and randomly racist but the sad thing is I don't think the author meant him to come across like that.

He has a young beautiful wife, who is
Julia
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had great characters, and a great plot. Flashbacks kept me interested, and the ending was touching. One of those books that will remain with you for ages afterwards.
Suzy Thomas
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Mayne a bot drawn out but I did enjoy the Chicago 1060's onwards references to life. An interesting estory, however feel the ending was thrust upon the reader a bit fast. Felt it lacked something.
Catalina
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that my boss recommended and insisted i read, saying it was one of the best books he had recently read, and i was not disappointed.
To be honest i was not hooked from the first chapter, but i wanted to know who was who and why were they acting in certain ways so i read on, and i am happy i did so. After the second chapter i started to enjoy the book more and more, to understand the characters better and to get a better idea of their relations.
The story alternates between the past
Megan
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a very interesting book. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. The characters were all very flawed in many different ways, which was frustrating and refreshing at the same time. I had no idea where the book was going, but loved the journey and the ending.

I also loved that the historical sections of the book took place in Hyde Park, especially on Blackstone Avenue. I went to the University of Chicago and lived on Blackstone Avenue, so all of the references were nostalgic and fun to
Sherri
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Couldn't get into the characters at all. Just didn't grip me. It was hard for me to finish the book as it was just not interesting to me with all the jumping backwards and forwards. The characters were so bland. I wouldn't recommend this book at all.
Lara
ALthough well written, and a good story, I just didn't find the characters endearing. This spoilt the enjoyment for me as I really didnt care what happened to them.
Isaw
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
did not have me on the edge of my seat.
Lori Victory
Irene
Jan 25, 2014
Denise
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting book about perceptions. How do people change over time and do we really know them?
Melanie Bond

• The Cheating Curve
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • The Spy Game
  • Written in Time
  • Invisible Boy (Madeline Dare, #3)
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Absent Friends
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • Indivisible
  • Spitting Off Tall Buildings
  • Terminal (Tweed & Co. #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress
  • Vicious
Andrew Rosenheim was born in Chicago in 1955 and grew up there and in Michigan. He attended Milton, Yale, and Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. He worked in electronic publishing and artificial intelligence for over fifteen years, including eight years at Oxford University Press, where he was the Director of Electronic Publishing. Most recently he worked in book publishing and was the Managing Director ...more