Start by marking “Batwoman: Elegy” as Want to Read:
Batwoman: Elegy

Batwoman: Elegy

(Batwoman (2011) 0)

A new era begins as Batwoman is unleashed on Gotham City! Marked by the blood-red bat emblem, Kate Kane is a soldier fighting her own private war - one that began years ago and haunts her every waking moment. In this first tale, Batwoman battles a madwoman known only as Alice, inspired by Alice in Wonderland, who sees her life as a fairy tale and everyone around her as exp ...more
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 192 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batwoman

Jayson
(A-) 81% | Very Good
Notes: Wherein smokey eyes mean trouble and Mucha-esque art nouveau shines in jagged panels and double-page spreads.
Michael Finocchiaro
Kind of hesitating between 3 and 4 stars for this one. I enjoyed Rachel Maddow's intro and the art was good. The story was OK for a Batwoman origin story. I enjoyed the throwback art too. I don't know what bugged me about the story, but it was entertaining nonetheless and quite original. I am not too familiar with the Batwoman lore to know whether the author has taken excessive liberty here or not. Perhaps a commenter will set me straight? :)
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Gorgeous art.
Compelling story.
A lesbian character who isn't a caricature.
A female character who kicks ass but still has a soul.
A backstory that is heart-wrenching in it's authenticity.

Hell yeah, I love it!
Seth T.
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
On Monday, I read two comics. One was pretty great and the other was Batwoman: Elegy. This is not to say that Elegy was bad. Unfortunately, it never actually gets better than pretty good.

The Rucka-penned adventure comic certainly has some worthwhile moments and Williams' art is varied enough to impress, but the book has several problems that prevent it from being better than it could be. But let's put the problems on hold for a moment to focus on what the book gets right.

[I suppose some caveat
Sesana
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have some mixed feelings about this one. I'll start with the good.

This Batwoman was an entirely new character to me. Apparently she'd shown up in 52, but I avoided that and so went in knowing nothing. And Kate Kane is a really likeable character. The big news when she was introduced was the fact that she's a lesbian. I was honestly relieved to discover that it's not a major plot point or source of drama: she simply is a lesbian. It only becomes an issue in her backstory, when she falls afoul o
Sam Quixote
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I was a bit confused with this book’ storyline, this being my first exposure to the world of Kate Kane aka Batwoman. There were references to death cults who previously stabbed her in the heart and this being her second run at an age old prophecy; then there was the inclusion of animal people (who are they? Where did they come from?) I was a bit lost at sea despite being familiar with the superhero world of DC.

I liked that DC made her a gay superhero but didn’t make it a big deal or central to
Chelsea
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
4 stars but I'm giving some credit because this art was fucking fantastic!

Okay, so the storyline with Alice was a little difficult to follow. The art is so incredibly gorgeous and creepy. The colors are fantastic! I love they change to a darker, more Sin City-esque vibe when she's Batwoman to show the clear dichotomy between her attitude then versus Kate Kane. It made the action scenes a lot more engaging and cool and gave them a sleek feel I don't think I've seen before in comics.

I love who K
Eli
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I just found another favorite superhero.

This comic was so well-written. Greg Rucka just became a writer I will watch out for. I decided to read this Batwoman comic because I saw that Rucka wrote it, and I recognize his name because of his big Wonder Woman bisexuality reveal recently. And the artwork was fascinating. The paneling and coloration was stands out a lot and it worked well with this story. It's serious but hopeful.

The background story here is so compelling. Rucka did a fantastic
William Thomas
Prior to this gorgeous incarnation, Batwoman has always seemed to me to be a weak character. One that nobody seemed to write well and in turn made the fans care very little. She was little else but a spin-off of the Batman mythos, just another Robin, and nothing so interesting as to warrant an in-depth analysis of her character or her stories. Batwoman and Batgirl both seem to harken back to that time before the Frank Miller 80's revamp of the caped crusader, candy colored clowns that were comic ...more
James DeSantis
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Was good but the New52 Batwoman did it better. Still fun, the art is great, but the story didn't grab me like that series. Sorry for short reviews, just been busy, but still worth checking out to learn about Batwoman!
Kathleen
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know that everyon has been talking about this book for a while, and perhaps everything that needed to be said has been said, but do lets keep talking. We should talk about the art, which is beautiful and perfect--especially those splash panels and the bat-shaped frames. Because this Batwoman is everything that Batgirl always should have been: strong, separate, and capable. She stands on her own, inspired by Batman but never his in any material way. We should talk about Batman's cameos and how ...more
L. McCoy
Wow, I'm surprised by how much I love this book.

What's it about:
Batwoman was nearly killed by a bats*** crazy cult and now she plans on taking down their new leader.

Why I love this book:
The story is very interesting. As someone who enjoys stories of vigilantes and stories of cults, I certainly like the mix of those from this book.
Fantastic art! Lots of beautiful panels.
The panel layout is unique and freaking awesome.
This is (unlike most big 2 books) quite tricky and unpredictable. Very happy, su
Martin
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Greg Rucka likes (and is good at) writing strong female characters. Starting with Whiteout, with Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1, and more recently with Stumptown, Vol. 1 (and subsequent volumes for each series), he gave us complex, layered characters that never felt *clichéd* or stereotypical, with emotional, action-packed storylines. He continues this in "Batwoman: Elegy".

In this book, he establishes the modern Batwoman as a compelling character by giving her a dark, heart-b
John Yelverton
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was more like an acid trip than a detective story. This book series is missing the Bruce Wayne character tremendously.
Marissa
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix, lesbian-lit
So, I picked this up after reading some of the hype about how Batwoman is a lesbian and it is awesome, but I kind of felt like it was just ok and maybe people were overreacting to the whole thing in general. One of the interesting things about Batwoman is that it is one of the few comic books that actually uses a full-on cover style of art throughout the entire book. And like any comics fan, there have definitely been a lot of times when I've bought a comic based on the cover art and felt sort o ...more
Sophie
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, favorites
When I first read about Batwoman, my initial reaction was: "Cool! A gay, bat-related superheroine!" Then I thought, pretty much immediately right after: "Let's hope that gay isn't all she is." And then I waited.

Then came the previews. I still remember that I was taken aback by the red and black, and I wasn't sure I could like this. But then I actually read the preview and knew that I *had* to have this.

When the first issue was finally, finally released I was completely blown away. I had somewha
Anna (Bananas)
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, f-f
5 stars for the art. The drawing and colors are absolutely gorgeous.
 photo batwelegy_zpsab3657d0.jpg

photo batwelegy7_zps858286ff.jpg

photo batwelegy5_zpsceb2a526.png

3 stars for the story. I like the character of Kate Kane, especially that she's a lesbian superhero with a military background. I like that she's tough but still feminine.

The villain was visually stunning (and based on Alice in Wonderland, which I love) but not very interesting, except for the surprise twist. And she was dispatched way too quickly. It felt like there was much more to explore.

Overall a worthwhile comic. I'm
Callie Rose Tyler
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, batman, dc
#1) Ugh! Magic!

As a general rule, I'm not a fan. Werewolves and other were-creatures? No thanks! Unless they were bitten by a radioactive animal or are genetically engineered keep them out of my superhero comic books!

#2) Religious fanatics...double ugh! I feel like I get enough of this in the real world, plus it seems like an overused cop-out. What is their motivation?...uh a cult, a crazy cult, that I...uh don't have time to explain but trust me....they are K-razy There's fun Joker crazy and t
Sans
I started working in a different city a few weeks ago, one that I have to commute by train to get to. That means no car to toodle around in during lunch or after work, and I'm now in the exact opposite direction of the comic shop I used to go to. I did some quick mapping online and found a new shop that is sorta local to my office and decided to get a Lyft there from work. Best decision of my life.

The fella that owns the shop is great, super helpful, and recommended a bunch of graphic novels to
Stephanie Griffin
BATWOMAN: ELEGY, written by Greg Rucka and illustrated by the fabulously talented J. H. Williams III, collects Detective Comics #854-#860 in one volume. It is the story of Batwoman’s battle with Alice, the High Madame, in protecting Gotham from Alice’s evil plot. Also included is the back-story of Kate’s growing up, her coming out at West Point and to her father, Colonel Kane, and the origins of her career as Batwoman. All of this is in one trade paperback!
Alice, the Lewis Carroll-quoting villai
Althea J.
How can I adequately express how amazing Elegy is?

- Kate Kane is my hero in every way. A badass, filled with integrity, and beautifully flawed.

- The art was mind blowingly gorgeous. For real. Innovative and fluid and straight up gorgeous. Just unlike anything else.

- If rec’ing a comic to a non comic reading friend, I would hand them Elegy.

Elegy tells several stories.

The Batwoman backstory: the personal family tragedy deeply embedded in Kate Kane’s past, and the path that led Kate to becoming Ba
Gavin
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Yet another solid piece of work by Greg Rucka, with stellar artwork by J.H. Williams III. I've not read anything about Kate Kane before, I knew through context she was Batwoman, but that was it. This is a great stand alone intro to the character. A very strong story which gives great motivation to the character and what she's all about and who she is. A little more on the outside of the Batman Family than most but still a very loosely connected part. Batman makes an appearance but not a huge rol ...more
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dcu
This book was stunning. I devoured it in a couple of hours. The continuation of the "Religion of Crime" story arc that Rucka started back in the mid 2000's, the covens of crime have a new leader, Alice, a doll-like interpretation of a Lewis Caroll nightmare that only speaks the words that Alice uttered in Wonderland. Also, as an added bonus, Rucka throws in the origin story of the comic-book worlds greatest lesbian character, Batwoman. With cameo's from Dick Grayson and Renee Montoya, this has t ...more
Raina
I was hopeful for this, as this Batwoman's queer, and the art is stunning at first glance.

When I actually sat down to read it, panel to panel, I had a hard time following the plot, and the beautiful pages were sometimes not super great at leading me through the correct order to read the panels. Which I see as a storytelling failure in this medium.

I probably would have soldiered through, but for a looming due date.

Take all of my superhero-related reviews with a grain of salt. :)

Refraining from a
Jess
Holy crap, the artwork in this is just woah.

Though the plot was somewhat lackluster and ended quickly, the backstory was something amazing. I'm impressed that DC managed to make a strong heroine who's sexy--and doesn't need to wear next to nothing to show it--and is also a lesbian. They got just about everything right with Batwoman. How did they manage to fail so badly with the new 52 when it's clear they can do such great things with their female characters.
Amanda
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably my favorite Batwoman graphic novel simply because I really liked the Alice in Wonderland crossover. Beautiful art & panels for the beginning, toward the end the style changed though. Not a huge fan of Batwoman but if you are this is the book for you.
Kurt
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: DC fans, art fans, people willing to look past a silly story
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
When my brother loaned me this book, knowing that I really dislike DC comics as a general rule (exceptions being Secret Six and Gotham Central), he warned me that I was supposed to read it for the art, not the story. I read a few reviews on GoodReads and found that most people had similar warnings. With those warnings in mind, I was able to really enjoy this book.

Rucka's story is, indeed, silly stuff. Batwoman gets into a fight with the leader of a cult of crime (that seems to be an actual relig
Jbainnz
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came into this book completely blind to any Batwoman history, thankfully this got me up to speed quickly. Not only does she stand alone as a great character, but she doesn't rely on the Batman mythos to make her great.

When I first started reading this I was worried how they where going to do her backstory and personality. When you create a character based in Gotham and the name has the word Bat in it, you have to tread lightly so you don't end up in the shadow of one of the most iconic heroes
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
A more beautiful Graphic Novel has not been created. The closest that comes to it is Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. J. H. Williams III is a master of his craft and has created a beautiful, intense and visually stunning story. This is not a comic book. This is art.

But sometimes too much of a good thing can spoil a creation. It is beautiful, but confusing to read. Volume 0 of Batwoman contains many 2-page spreads but its never clear which sequence one should follow to read it. This
Michael
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
My initial reaction for the first half was a bit tepid, and I wasn't sure about continuing, but finishing it tonight and reviewing the first part again, I realize it has a lot of subtle gifts within its pages, and it has kind of grown on me.

My initial misgivings were a combination of things: the skintight suit was expected, but it seemed a bit much to have Batwoman's nipples poking out of her chest armor in every frame; Batwoman had a worthy opponent, but did she really need to be saved twice by
Madison Mega-Mara...: #70: Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka 1 3 Jun 25, 2014 07:00PM
  • Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Red Robin, Vol. 1: The Grail
  • Power Girl, Vol. 1: A New Beginning
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Batwoman (2011) (6 books)
  • Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology