Start by marking “Greentown: Murder and Mystery in Greenwich, America's Wealthiest Community” as Want to Read:
Greentown: Murder and Mystery in Greenwich, America's Wealthiest Community

Greentown: Murder and Mystery in Greenwich, America's Wealthiest Community

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In examining the still-unsolved 1975 murder of 15-year-old Martha Moxleyin a wealthy suburb of Greenwich, Connecticut, first-time author Timothy Dumas does not attempt to deliver a knockout punch of new evidence that might crack the case wide open. Instead, Dumas takes his readers on a literate excursion through the darkest secrets and fears of the girl's neighbors and fel ...more
Published April 27th 1998 by Arcade Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Greentown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greentown

Erin
Oct 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Greentown by Timothy Dumas was just meh. It tells the story of the murder of 15 year old Martha Moxley & the years long hunt for her killer. It should have interesting but instead it was filled with gossip & rumor, the author's every word was dripping with snobbery against those he felt were beneath him. I also could have done without the boring history lesson on Greenwich. I don't recommend this book.
Fishface
I liked this well enough to pull it out to read a page or two at every opportunity, despite constant interruptions -- phone calls, the vet finally coming into the exam room, the waitress asking me if I want more icewater. Will you people just let me read, already! But I digress...For the most part this book was well-written and colorful, and of course it concerns rich people in Topsiders going to pieces and getting murdered, the kind of subject matter I always like to see. I was rather puzzled a ...more
Marilyn
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angie
Really 2.5 stars. The author seemed to really want to write a Gatsby-esque story of intrigue and murder about one of America's real-life royal families, and instead ended up with a book riddled with side vignettes because the main story isn't adequate to fill a book. There's a whole chapter about strange behavior in Greenwich's history, dating back to its founding. That chapter was really where I was like, OK, there's just not enough to the main story and he's grasping.

Spoiler alert: you learn
GT
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tragic, terrible, frustrating, outrageous, maddening, incredible... these are a few descriptors for this horrific murder which is recounted in Dumas' book. I found it a fascinating read even though I'm somewhat familiar with the case from other books and documentaries. If you are interested in this perplexing case, I recommend this book.

4 stars

mfgavin's rating criteria:

★ = Horrid waste of time
★★ = May be enjoyable to some, but not me
★★★ = I am glad I read it
★★★★ = Very enjoyable and something I'
Brandon Reich
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

Bit hinkey in parts. Strange writing style in beginning. Strange focus on the use of the word evil. Ending very lame. Overall well told though.
Katherine Basto
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book well enough because it's clear the writer did his research. As a journalist, born and bred in Greenwich, he's more than capable of telling or retelling the tragic story of Martha Moxley.
Because Timothy Dumas is from Greenwich, I, as the reader felt like I was there right in the midst of the tragedy. The sights, sounds and smells as he writes about that fateful night, "Mischief Night" Halloween Eve 1975 come to life on the pages. The strange aspect of the beginning is I'm not su
Jaclyn Cataldo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting case.
Kate
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot has happened around this case since this book was originally published including the arrest and trial of the alleged murderer, but it's still worth reading. It provides an interesting study of a community in the aftermath of a brutal, unsolved murder of a local teenager.
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
On a night in October 1975, fifteen year old Martha Moxley was brutally murdered in the front yard of her home in a wealthy suburb of Greenwich, Connecticut. Timothy Dumas, a former editor at the Greenwich News takes the reader back to that time, and presents a riveting story of murder and the frustrating search for justice in a community where money, power, and political connections all combined to prevent authorities from investigating their prime suspect, Thomas Skakel, the nephew of Ethel Sk ...more
Debra
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Good overview of the murder case of Martha Moxley in Connecticut in 1975. This book, published in 1998, before the trial and conviction of Michael Skakel, a Kennedy cousin, for the murder, gives a good overview of the case. The murder took place in a very affluent neighborhood in Greenwich, where crimes of this sort rarely happen, and the police are very inexperienced in the handling of a crime of this magnitude. I plan on reading other books on this particular murder, but wanted to read this on ...more
Jenn Cunha
What kind of rating do you give a book like this? Made entirely of facts, it gave me a lot of information about Martha Moxley's murder - a case I have been fascinated with since I saw the TV movie, Murder in Greenwich. I know that they can't give me an ending that hasn't happened, but I really want someone to be in jail for this. I'm going to have to do some more research and see where the case stands today, 14 years since the epilogue was written.
Nina
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Other than the fact that this book is dated (looks like there is a 2nd edition that I should pick up-- I read the earlier edition, which was missing the ending that we all know at this point)-- this book really kept me reading. I (somewhat) followed the Moxley murder when it was in the news, and it was interesting to get a detailed account of the history from a Greenwich native. I also thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the town I now call home.
Oct 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Tells the story of the death of Martha Moxley, a pretty young teenager who is found brutally murdered one night in Greenwich CT. I read this a while back, and since then there have been many developments in this case, notably the supposed admission by Michael Skakel (a Kennedy relation) that he committed the crime.
Terri
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed, the story of this case is highly enriched by the historical information interwoven throughout it's telling. So well written it reads like a novel when it could read like a textbook, since it deals with and presents facts, history, and data, as well as the conjecture and rumor threads that swirled around the ebbing and waning investigation. Thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Dee6265
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this because hubby is distantly related to Martha Moxley. After having read Mark Furhman's book on the Moxley murder several times I have to say this one had some details that I didnt know but I liked the other book better.
Pauline
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written mystery

Even though the story is hard to read with its gruesome details the storyteller keeps your interest with new insight and a variety of different experiences from people who were around Martha at the time
Michele
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So much extraneous filler added. Kept hoping I'd learn something I couldn't get from the Wiki article. What does page after page about ancient CT history have to do with a teenage girl being murdered by a still unknown person? It took forever to get through this.
Margaret
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
To much history of the Norse who discovered the area and their bad fortune. The attempt to show that Greenwich is curse is a bit of a stretch. Interesting read otherwise!
Susan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this down.
Angela
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book regarding the Mpxley murder and the ensuing cover up regarding the Kennedy cousin.
Katherine
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was fascinating look into a case that took way to long to be solved. I feel for Martha Moxley's family.
Syl
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book on the history of the Moxley murder.
Ardys
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very well written--interesting detail to the very end. A true story but reads much like a compelling novel.
Debra
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good overview of the murder case of Martha Moxley in Connecticut in 1975. Published before trial and conviction of Michael Skakel.
Elizabeth F Mathewson

• Think and Grow Rich
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Caesars
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (And World Peace)
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case
    $15.99 $2.99
  • A Year with C. S. Lewis: Daily Readings from His Classic Works
    $13.24 $2.99
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Collins Business Essentials)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success
    $11.74 $1.99
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It's Okay to Laugh (Crying Is Cool, Too)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Highly Sensitive Person
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Separation: A Memoir
    $26.00 $2.99
  • How Will You Measure Your Life?
    $10.24 $2.99
  • Have a Little Faith: A True Story
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Girl at the End of the World: My Escape from Fundamentalism in Search of Faith with a Future
  • The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman
  • The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning
    $13.99 $2.99
  • A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine
  • Coming Clean
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Traveling Light Deluxe Edition: Releasing the Burdens You Were Never Intended to Bear
  • The Gnostic Bible: Revised and Expanded Edition
    $19.99 $3.99
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: Revised Edition
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Our Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them
    $12.99 $1.99