Start by marking “Christian Theology” as Want to Read:

Christian Theology

Christian Theology has been revised to take account of changes in the theological world as well as changes in the intellectual, political, economic, and social worlds. Several sections have been added, including a new chapter on postmodernism. At other points the discussion has been updated, and some portions of the original have been condensed, since the issues they ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Baker Academic (first published 1983)

Start your review of Christian Theology
Tim Cooper
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although it took me most of the summer to read, I think this now replaces Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology as my 'go to' book for quick theological study. Erickson is very detailed in his study and makes some really complex issues approachable.
Jared Wilson
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Starts unevenly. Gets better. I wish he'd said more on some things, less on others. Generally solid, though, but certainly not the SysTheo I'd recommend as a go-to.
Bret James Stewart
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Erickson has done a reasonably good job with this book. It is an introductory survey of the major topics of systematic theology. On the positive side, he has done a phenomenal job in structuring this book so that it is easy to find information. He has reading questions at the beginning of each section that tell you what you are going to encounter, and he uses headings and sub-heading effectively to break up information into logical groups. His writing style is also approachable and is able to ...more
Glenn Wishnew III
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is essentially a reference book. As such, it is far from exhilarating.
Brent McCulley
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
My first systematic theology finally completely read from cover to cover! What a refreshing feeling closing this after reading the last page after several months of wrestling with Millard J. Erickson's treatment in Christian Theology. Let me begin by saying obviously I don't agree with all of Erickson's thought--who would? As a systematic theology, the systematizer does the painstaking job at putting his theology into a coherent system, and as such, it reflects Erickson's system, and not someone ...more
Barry
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
The strength of this book is the depth into which Mr. Erickson goes as he covers the main theological viewpoints on various topics. He does a great job of summarizing the various views, offering strengths and weaknesses of those views, and then offering his own final analysis as to which view he believes is the most Biblically sound. The drawback to this approach is that it is sometimes difficult to keep the views separated in one's own mind, causing some unnecessary confusion. Additionally, by ...more
Jacob Aitken
This was the first systematic text I read. Admittedly, nine years ago I really couldn't evaluate Erickson's positions. I read his text in conjunction with Grudem's and the differences became apparent. Erickson studied under Wolfhart Pannenburg and as a result he is able to competently grasp many tough philosophical issues. (This is largely absent from Grudem).

Since he is an evangelical, the reader can guess his positions on most topics. However, for the Calvinist reader a few things might be
Philip Christman
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gave myself a year to work through the 1200+ pages of this book while trying to do justice to the text. it's taken almost that long, but was worth the time. Although completely evangelical, Erickson is unafraid to take less-than-majority opinions (it threw me that he leans to post -tribulationism). There is a constant emphasis on missions. best of all, this book is readable in a way that Strong's is not, and profound in a way that Bancroft's is not. I reccomend it highly.
Ruth
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although firmly anchored within the Baptist tradition, Erickson presents all sides of each issue with clarity and balance before making his conclusions on each issue. Unlike much work in theology, Erickson's prose is light and readable throughout, making this a practical option for serious students as well as laymen.
Stacey
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Even though I was in seminary and have had several years of Bible teaching, this book was written in a language that many could understand. I appreciated the unbiased presentation of different perspectives.
Rebecca Ray
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 168 of 2019. This 1186 page behemoth of systematic theology has been a slow-but-steady read for me across three months and two systematic theology classes. Like the title says, this is Christian theology, and it is a systematic theology touching upon all areas of Christian doctrine. Between it and my two theology professors, I feel like I have been truly mentored through systematic theology and like I have a basic grasp on the discipline’s concepts.

For the armchair theologian: This is a
Michael Pagan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, seminary
Just like every other review says, it’s okay. He uses a lot more philosophy than someone like Grudem, which is good, though he rejects some tenets of classical theism, which is not good. My classmates have characterized Erickson as “here’s one side, here’s the other side, and I’m going to fight my hardest to land in the middle.” Pick a side, man.

The book as a whole feels like it was probably concise and well-organized in the first edition, and then as issues came up in culture, Erickson just
Jacob London
Okay, so this is the first systematic theology that I have read cover-to-cover, and it only took me two years! Aha, surprisingly I enjoyed reading this book even though the author and I come to differing conclusions on almost everything. I appreciate his scholarly work and the general deep research he has done on each subject. 3/5.
C.J. Moore
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not perfect, but it's one of my favorites. I don't agree with a lot of Erickson's theological leanings, but he treats most positions fairly throughout the book before writing on his own. J.I. Packer calls it "gently Calvinistic." I think that's going a bit too far, myself. Even so, be sure to add this one to your shelf. Will make for good reference (for me) for years to come.
Jason Hoke
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I always read a theology book with a highlighter. This one though is 70% what others believe and 20% of why they are wrong with 10% on his view to wrap things up. Probably my least favorite of the Theology books I have reviewed.
Justin Payne
Read for Sys Theo Class

Overall this book was ok. I appreciated the historical narrative in showing how certain positions came about, but overall this was not my favorite systematic theology book I’ve read.
Steve Campbell
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a thorough, comprehensive, and reasoned examination of the basic theology of Christianity. While it is aimed toward theology students in college and seminary, it is accessible to any serious Christian who has a thirst for the knowledge of God and his ways.
Nick Perez
I read this for my Systematic Theology I & II courses in grad school. He covers a lot of territory. I was surprised by Erickson is a dispensational postmillennialist. Overall a very good overview of Christian theology from a (more or less) semi-Calvinistic perspective.
Nicholas Matthews
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm sure this will become a personal go-to resource over the many years to come. I've launched straight in to Chapter 23: The Constitutional Nature of the Human for research for a book in currently writing.
Tina
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, even-handed systematic theology from an evangelical viewpoint.
Jason
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like the way the book is organized and the way study questions are addressed.
Krista Dominguez
While I don't agree with all of Erickson's conclusions, this is an excellent systematic theology textbook.
Dennis Williams
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. The author writes concerning the problems and difficulties in theology. Then provides an examination for what he considers the most biblical based doctrines. A good resource.
John Rimmer
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd recommend Grudem before Erickson, but who cares what I say.
Susan
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was my textbook for Theology I and II. Very clear and balanced as Erickson presents all the sides. Will definitely hold on to this for reference.
Doug Knox
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mr. Erickson is down to earth and speaks in laymen terms. If doctrine is important to you and it should be, then Christian Theology is the book for you.
Michael Dunlop
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, it's a decent theology, but I don’t think it deserves as widespread usage as it receives in conservative Baptist seminaries today. In general, I think I prefer Grudem and others (even McCune if you want a very baptist and dispensational perspective).

Pros: I liked Erickson’s handling of Soteriology, especially Election (chapter’s 43-45 coupled with chapter 15 “God’s plan”). Erickson is one of just a few people to incorporate Molinism into his understanding of pretemporal, unconditional
Marcus
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Substance: 3/5
Readability: 4/5

This is my second Systematic Theology text (first was Wayne Grudem's), so I will not presume to speak intelligibly on where Erickson's work fits in the grand scheme of ST.

The Good: The ideas he put forth were done in a clear, proper manner. Where ideas were less complicated, Erickson used analogies and metaphors to help illustrate the point. I didn't agree with him on everything, but overall his opinions are predictable and evangelical. I knew from where he was
Dav
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

by Millard J. Erickson

"Leading evangelical scholar Millard Erickson offers a new edition of his bestselling textbook, now substantially updated and revised throughout. This edition takes into account feedback from professors and students and reflects current theological conversations, with added material on the atonement, justification, and divine foreknowledge. Erickson's comprehensive introduction is biblical, contemporary, moderate, and fair to various positions, and it
Chris
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the primary textbook for both of my Systematic Theology classes at NOBTS. While this isn't the type of book one would read straight through (I certainly didn't!) one could read over a period of time, or read certain sections as needed. Erickson is conservative in his theological viewpoint, but more moderate on the issues than Grudem, and I think Erickson did a good job fairly representing other theological points of view. His discussions delve into the philosophical more than Grudem, so ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Systematic Theology
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • ESV Study Bible
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • Christian Theology: An Introduction
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • The Cost of Discipleship
  • Exegetical Fallacies
Millard J. Erickson (PhD, Northwestern University) has served as a pastor and seminary dean and has taught at several schools, including Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Western Seminary (Portland and San Jose), and Baylor University. He has also held numerous visiting professorships, both in the United States and internationally, and is the author of many books. Erickson lives in Mounds ...more
“Theology is necessary because truth and experience are related. While some would deny or at least question this connection, in the long run the truth will affect our experience. A person who falls from the tenth story of a building may shout while passing each window on the way down, “I’m still doing fine,” and may mean it sincerely, but eventually the facts of the matter will catch up with the person’s experience.” 2 likes
“We often tend to think of the Father as transcendent and far off in heaven; similarly, the Son may seem far removed in history and thus also relatively unknowable. But the Holy Spirit is active within the lives of believers; he is resident within us. He is the particular person of the Trinity through whom the entire Triune Godhead currently works in us.” 1 likes