Start by marking “Paris Times Eight: Finding Myself in the City of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Paris Times Eight: Finding Myself in the City of Dreams

Paris Times Eight: Finding Myself in the City of Dreams

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Over eight visits to Paris, Deirdre Kelly has found herself — first as a 19-year-old and then later as a budding writer, a dance critic, and a fashion reporter. Subsequent visits — with her mother, her future husband, and later as a mother herself — have shown her that while some parts of Paris remain constant, her life is always evolving. More than just a beautiful and ro ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Greystone Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Paris Times Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris Times Eight

Barbara
Oct 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paris
The beginning chapter brought back a flood of memories of the summer I was an au pair in Paris. But beyond that, I find little to recommend about this memoir. It’s not particularly well written (surprising for a journalist) and just not that interesting. I liked the way the book was structured, with each visit to Paris marking a transition in Kelly’s life. But the picture that emerged was of a self-centered woman who doesn’t like sharing the limelight with anyone, except perhaps celebrities. It ...more
Lesley
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This thought provoking book highlights the author's life journey while visiting Paris (eight times) as a vibrant young woman to a mother of two children.

Deirdre Kelly allows you to be immersed in her struggle to find herself while being challenged along the way by her mother, her job and her own aspirations...

You truly can see and feel her love for her "other mother" Paris.

Enjoy!
Wendy Korentager
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This novel is a sexy, romantic, touching coming of age tale set in the haunting romantic
"City of Dreams" Paris". It is never boring as it is broken down into eight 'life stages'; each highlighting turning points in the main characters life and loves. It made me want to book my long over due trip to Europe; Paris included and brush up on my french. Merci!
Ryn
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an accidental find one day when I was at the library looking for a totally different book. I picked it up and quickly read a couple pages. Seemed right up my alley as far as travelogue and writing style. I was not disappointed.

One thing I loved about this book, even more than the content itself, was how the author divided her eight trips to Paris, separately into eight chapters. Each chapter held it's own adventure, own lessons and own 'feel'. Her first visit as a young nanny, had a dif
Suzanne
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french-theme
This is a very ejoyable book about the author's eight trips to Paris, from the first as an au pair to the last as a mother of two. It really shows how she changed duting that time, and how Paris did--or did not. Great sense of being there.
Amanda
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
This book was incredibly hard to finish. The writer is extremely pretentious, self-righteous and annoying. I lost count as to how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this. I wasn't aware that you had to be a complete snob to love Paris. My bad.
Pat
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I usually like "coming of age" stories and this one was okay. Wonderful descriptions of Paris. She seemed to gloss over her shortcomings and highlight her mothers and co-workers
Devorah Klein
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great read. I liked the Paris descriptions, very evocative and so vivid it felt like a movie.
serena
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Melodramatic writer gives the impression she's mentally unstable. Odd.
Lights
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read! The author is a professional journalist and the writing is engaging.
  • My French Life
  • True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris
  • Paris In Mind
  • Into a Paris Quartier: Reine Margot's Chapel and Other Haunts of St. Germain
  • A Town Like Paris: Falling in Love in the City of Light
  • First French Essais: Venturing into Writing, Marriage, and France
  • The Olive Harvest: A Memory of Love, Old Trees and Olive Oil
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • Call Me Russell
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Murder in the Latin Quarter (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #9)
  • Chez Moi
  • Time Was Soft There: A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co.
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Paris Was Ours
  • Gracenomics: Unleash the Power of Second Chance Living
  • Jacob Two-Two-'s First Spy Case
Deirdre Kelly holds a master's degree in English from the University of Toronto. She was the award-winning dance critic for the Globe and Mail before becoming a fashion columnist in 2000, reporting from Paris and Milan. Now a features writer, she has written for Marie Claire, Vogue, and Elle. Paris Times Eight is her first book. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.
More about Deirdre Kelly...