Start by marking “Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)

Burning Lamp

(The Arcane Society #8)

The Arcane Society was born in turmoil when the friendship of its two founders evolved into a fierce rivalry. Sylvester Jones and Nicholas Winters each sought to enhance their individual psychic talents. Winters' efforts led to the creation of a device of unknown powers called the Burning Lamp. Each generation the Winters man who inherits it is destined to develop multiple ...more
Published 2010 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Burning Lamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Lamp

Start your review of Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
Lakshmi C
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MILD SPOILER ALERT

Burning Lamp is one of my favorite books this years. It was complicated, witty, clever and a delightful read. It made its place on my re-read list and will stay there forever.

Adelaide was sold as a teenage girl and she escaped with a mysterious, unstable object. She is known as The Widow, a social reformer who has a hidden talent for manipulating dreamlight. She was ambitious, difficult, stubborn, reckless and compassionate. The Widow gives fallen girls a chance to have a
Mojca
Burning Lamp: Book Two of the Dreamlight Trilogy (Arcane Society Series #8) Griffin Winters, descendant of the crazy alchemist Nicholas “Old Nick” Winters, has all the reasons in the world to think he’s going as crazy as his multiple-gran grandfather. He’s just turned 36, he’s acquired a new psychic talent (an additional one!), he’s starting to hallucinate, and his nightmares are getting worse.

These are clear symptoms of the Winters Curse. And the fact he’s the first in his family to get the
Elena
I really, really want to still like Amanda Quick. She is one of the best plotters of any historical romance author I've ever read, she is great at including LGBT characters (well, heavily on the L and T, as far as I can tell), and she has a few characters with disabilities. Furthermore, this book includes people who aren't moving in society, which is something I would love to see more of in romance from this era. All of these are things that make me say, "Yay!"

...But all of Quick's heroes
Metaspinster
ETA: I've decided to first list the things I liked about this book, so they don't become buried under the (more link:

1) Our heroine is a social reformer out to liberate girls who have been sold into prostitution and gift them with the choice of education and a clean slate. Also, she made her fortune in America in Wild West shows with some semi-faux work as a "medium" on the side.

2)Our hero is a "crime lord" with a conscience, forced onto the street by the murder of his parents - this and other
Varied Books
Jun 20, 2015 marked it as audio-book
1/8/18 Ammy $1.99
Audio
5 chapters in and so far I'm entertained. I'm liking the mystery & the MC. Narrator is good.
Andree
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, but rounding down because Griffin annoyed me at the start of this one. Still, I tend to like the Arcane Society world, and Lucinda and Caleb were back for a bit, which was fun.

(view spoiler)
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I hate to admit this, since I DID enjoy Burning Lampand found it a nice, easy, breezy read, witticisms and interesting characters included, but it didn't escape my notice that Burning Lampwas just a pretty repetition of Fired Up, but in an historical setting. Dialogue and actions and some of the scenes were very similar, and while I applaud Amanda Quick's smooth connections between contemporary and historical (as well as all that foreshadowing that we already know occurs
Laura the Highland Hussy
I liked the first book better, I think. Both books are a bit longer than they need to be. This series has a lot of repetition, that I get some is necessary, but not to that extent.

This book has the same premise as before: A Winters man needs a female dreamlight talent to help him work the Burning Lamp to help him keep from going insane.

The Victorian Era holds many new inventions and discoveries, and all of those only fuel the fire for psychic discoveries amongst those who have the talents.
Kate
Apr 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Although the "Arcane Society" is starting to weary me, there's nothing like a good historical paranormal romance/mystery when you don't want to think too hard.
Plot 1: Adelaide, having recovered from a near-trauma in a brothel at age 15, has decided 13 years later to raid brothels and provide schooling and business skills to the women she frees.
Plot 2: Adelaide has a weird artifact seething with psychic energy that she obtained during said near-trauma. What to do with it now that she's returned
Diane ~Firefly~
Nothing like a favorite author to get you really enjoying reading. Reading anything by JAK is like wrapping up in a big, comfy blanket in front of a fire on a cold evening - total comfort reads for me. This follows the same rules as all of Quick's books. An independent, smart heroine in over her head and a mysterious, capable hero who wants to protect her.

What I enjoyed:
* The hero and heroine. The crime lord and the social reformer. They made a great pair.
* Seeing Caleb and Lucinda again.
* The
MB (What she read)
I feel like I've read this exact book so many times before. There were so many repeating elements. I usually like Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz, but this book was boooooring!

The whole psychic battle thing just doesn't work for me anymore. There's no feeling of real conflict and you know the good guys are going to win so I found myself skimming, just trying to finish.

Overall, she's a good writer and I don't want to discourage anyone who's a fan, but I think I'm over this series now. (...we'll
Barb in Maryland
Another typical Amanda Quick--witty dialogue, interesting characters, a satisfactory romance and a touch of the paranormal. What's not to like?
Those familiar with the series will get all the inside references to other characters from other books, but the story can stand by itself and serve as a way into the Dreamlight story arc or the overall Arcane story arc.
A fun way to spend a couple of hours.
Ann
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010, audio-2010
I like the contemporary Arcane novels best but it was nice to re-visit the historical time frame, this time with Adelaide and Griffin.
The paranormal abilities dealing with dreamlight and shadows in this installment were interesting.
Sandy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, suspense
Adelaide finds herself sold into a brothel and fights the man that comes to claim her for her talent. She is a dreamlight reader. This is a psychic ability to read a person's dream and intentions based on a lingering aura in whatever they touched or where ever they walked. A person who has this ability can also work the burning lamp.

Adelaide steals the lamp and goes to America but returns after some time only to find that another man wants to have her help. He is the director of a group of
Topsy Leenstra
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT
Sheila Melo
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crime Lord and the Social Reformer

BURNING LAMP is the second book in the Dreamlight Trilogy and the eighth book in the Arcane Society series. The Arcane series is about those with paranormal abilities. The books span historicals (Amanda Quick), contemporaries (Jayne Ann Krentz) and futuristics (Jayne Castle). The Arcane series overall concerns various people who are attempting to use various means to enhance their paranormal talents for criminal purposes. The Dreamlight Trilogy is an internal
Bea
If you like Amanda Quick books, then you will like this one. One thing I like about her writing is that we rarely see a historical setting for the paranormal.

The down side? If you have read one Amanda Quick book, then you have read them all. Pretty much every hero and heroine are the same, no matter what book. Believe me, I've read most and the male is usually emotionally broken, social outcast (even if he is in the Ton) and by learning to love our hot chic he learns to live again.

Not bad, but
Tasula
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a romance with paranormal elements, the second in a series. The two lead characters, Adelaide and Mr. Winters are "talents"- people with a magical talent. Mr. Winters (whose first name escapes me) can pull shadows around him so he is almost invisible and can also induce nightmares in people. Adelaide Pyne is a dream reader. Winters needs her to help him tune a magical lamp created by his ancestor- that may keep him from going insane. The story develops as you would expect in a romance. ...more
Carrie
The romance was too abrupt. It needed much more focus and time spent developing it. Other than that, the story was just fine and I liked the characters. I agree with those who've said the story is Fired Up revisited and repackaged as an historical. But that doesn't really bother me. I liked Griffin as a character and thought Adelaide was fine, but not well-developed. The "bad guys" don't figure into the book much at all. I can't help but feel JAK is getting a little tired of her own series. The ...more
B.C. Deeks
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so hooked on this series that no matter what era they are set in, I start each book, flip through the pages until I hit the end, and then grab the next one. This one was another historical and is one of my favorites- I just love a dark hero and this one is a crime lord! There's suspense, twists and turns, well developed characters, romance, believable paranormal elements that weave seamlessly through an action packed plot. A great read.
Deb
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
I thought I would give Amanda Quick one more try and was disappointed again. Same story line, same characters, same intrugue. Nothing different and hopelessly boring. It might have been interesting the first time around, but by the 8th it is getting old. I think this will be my final attempt to read one of her novels.
Kathleen
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harlequin romance addicts, step it up a level
Shelves: 2010, benicia
Haven't read any of the other books in the series, it doesn't matter since the book is very simple and linear. It was there, I read it, I am a book slut, I'll eat anything, I am the blob. This was fluffy stuff and had at least one leg (I don't know where the rest of the remains are, but pass me the Vicks) in the dreadful romance novel genre but it could most certainly have been worse.
Lindap
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.50 / 4 Stars

Enjoyed the main characters. A lot of repetition in the story though; that I skimmed over. Popped it up to 4 stars because it is a decent continuation of the Arcane/Dreamlight series.
Jeanne
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
almost done, the cover of my book is not this cover, um....
I love her books, nice and frothy but complex too, great characters, just the type of book I needed right now
Ariella
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amanda Quick always provides a great read! Burning Lamp was a gift. Now that I've read it, I'd like to read the first book in the Dreamlight Trilogy to see what I missed.
Carol/Bonadie
Good entry in the Arcane Society series with all the requisite elements. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Nancy Jones
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Amber Daulton
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In book two of the Dreamlight Trilogy (an Arcane Society spin-off), Adelaide Pyne is a social reformer with shady connections. After rescuing some women from London brothels, she draws the attention of a notorious crime lord.
Griffin Winters, a descendant of alchemist Nicholas Winters, is the first in the Winters bloodline to have his ancestor’s psychical talent. Because Nicholas mutated his DNA and passed it along to his descendents, Griffin and two other men down the line are destined to
Renée
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You know, it's unnerving that I stumble upon Mr. Pierce every damn time. He (She) literally knows everyone!

But what the heck, it's basically the first book of the Dreamlight Trilogy all over again! But of course, edited in some ways to suit the 19th century. Funny how almost everything seems to reflect each other:

Chloe has a habit of taking care of poor unfortunate souls and goes about her job as a private detective in full on righteousness. Adelaide is a social reformer with a hobby of saving
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Burning Lamp (2010) Arcane 8, Dreamlight 2 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 10:38AM

• Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Ghost Hunters, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Dark Light (Ghost Hunters, #5)
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • Siren's Call (Rainshadow, #4; Ghost Hunters, #12)
  • Obsidian Prey (Ghost Hunters, #6)
  • The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Ghost Hunters, #9)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • The Scargill Cove Case Files (Arcane Society, #9.5; Looking Glass Trilogy, #0.5)
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
  • Copper Beach (Dark Legacy, #1)
  • Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13)
  • After Dark (Ghost Hunters, #1)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Bridal Jitters (Ghost Hunters, #0.5)
  • Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)
“One day you're young with all your fine plans for the future. The next you're in the future and it doesn't look at all the way you thought it would.” 19 likes
“Once Smith had you, he would most likely have tried to negotiate for the lamp."
Everything inside her warmed gently. "You'd give up the lamp if you thought my life depended on it?"
"Without a second thought."
"Oh, Griffin, I'm truly touched. I know how important the lamp is to you."
"And then I'd slit the bastard's throat."
She groaned and rested her forehead on her knees. "Two birds with one lamp. Who says a crime lord can't be a romantic at heart?”
10 likes