Start by marking “The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs” as Want to Read:
The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs

The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs

The Wall Street Journal Bestseller!

Updated to include Steve Jobs's iPad and iPad2 launch presentations

"The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs reveals the operating system behind any great presentation and provides you with a quick-start guide to design your own passionate interfaces with your audiences."
--Cliff Atkinson, author of Beyond Bullet Points and The Activist Audience

Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs's wildly/>--Cliff/>"The/>Updated
Published October 1st 2009 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published 2009)

Start your review of The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
Jeff
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-book-list
This is one of my favorite books on communication. If you want to improve at communicating your ideas (and who doesn’t?), this book can help. Here are a few of my take-aways:

* Create simple, memorable bottom lines: "The iPod: One thousand songs in your pocket."

" Though he was a computer-guy, he wrote his talks in pen and paper. "There's just something about paper and pen and sketching out rough ideas in the 'analog world' in the early stages that seem to lead to more clarity and bet
Ian Griffin
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: speechwriting
The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs is a book that a speechwriter can love. Gallo quotes from sources such as Nancy Duarte's slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations and Garr Reynolds' Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery. He even has a sidebar on JFK speechwriter Ted Sorensen's influence on Barack Obama titled, "What the World's Greatest Speechwriters Know."

The message of this book is that Jobs' extraordinary impact is based o
Gisela Hausmann
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs” is one of the smartest books I read lately (which something because I read a lot). Author Carmino Gallo goes through the usual, explaining Jobs’ style
(1) Create the Story
(2) Deliver the Experience
(3) Refine and rehearse

So far so good, all of this is well-known. What sets this book apart is that Gallo shows the actual “improvement Jobs created.” For example Jobs is well-known for using minimal content one his presentation slides, i
Zahin
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
9 Elements:
- Headline (Twitter)
- Passion statement..."I'm excited about this initiative because it____"
- 3 key messages
- metaphors and analogies
- demonstrations
- partners
- customer evidence and 3rd party endorsements

Create an integrated experience of visual (most people), audio and touch & feel

"In that craziness, we see genius"

Draw a road-map: the rule of 3. Three bears, three stooges.
Create the story > deliver the experience > package the material
Jay
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media, audiobook, business
If you are expecting to learn how to create Powerpoints using Steve Jobs' methods for presentation, you're probably going to not be happy. Jobs' wasn't known for his Powerpoints, and many of his best speeches used very few slides with no bullet points. Instead, Jobs used images, usually pictures, or simple text, like a word or number, to represent the topic. This book is about the presentations he gave, but also about the process behind his presentations, the efforts to create messages that star ...more
Sebah Al-Ali
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
ممتع . تعلمت منه الكثير . منه أن كل عرض تقديمي
(presentation)
يكون كأفضل ما يكون إن نظرنا إليه كقصة ذات ثلاثة فصول . أسس التقديم التي تعلمتها :
1. العرض يجب أن يكون مهيئ حول فكرة "لمَ على المشاهد أن يكترث ؟ " .. بمعنى الحاجة لصياغة المعلومات بطريقة تتواصل مع المشاهد ، بشكل شخصي .
2. في بداية العرض / القصة ، تقديم المشكلة بشكل مفهوم قبل تقديم المعلومات التي ستكون حلا للمشكلة .
3. الالتزام بقانون "الثلاث" . ليكن العرض متمحورا حول 3 نقاط أساسية . كل نقطة لها 3 أفكار مساندة .
4. تجنب الـ
Sina Hassanpour
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a great book for anyone that is teaching or presenting.
Vaishakhi Bharucha
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.
It gives you clear insights on how Steve Jobs went about with his presentations. But more importantly, it gleans out the doable bits, puts them in bullet points for you to follow. Can this make you as good as Steve Jobs? I doubt it but at least one can try. It's almost like a textbook on creating better presentations. I know I will keep referring to it time and again!
J K Balti
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
nice post like your post
Joe Iovino
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a pastor, and a bit of a tech-junkie, this book was right in my wheel-house. I learned a great deal about speaking, was surprisingly inspired by Steve Jobs (didn't know much about him before reading this), and was thoroughly entertained.
I recently preached a sermon that I wound up revising because of this book. The opening did not answer the "why should I care?" question from the congregation, and so I changed my approach.
This is a well written, carefully researched book that draws from man
Rickster623
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This has been (by far) one of the better books on presentation approach and best practices I have ever read. While few things jump out as "wow, I've never thought of that"... Jobs' approach to mixing simple graphics, theatrics, props and other techniques is actually pretty inspiring.

You find yourself reading the book and thinking to yourself, "I could have used that advice last week when I bored an audience to tears"...

If you are regular presenter of products or concepts,
Eric Vandermeer
Oct 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
Jobs' big presentation secret is just that he's a casual personality and his presentations reflects that. All the presentation tips in the book are not as much Jobs', but more from different current media gurus.
I'm almost at the end of the book and still cannot shake of the idea that this is just a Apple product promotion. Little naief from my side to think that it would be any different. Stick with a presentation style that fits YOUR OWN personality, rather then copying Jobs' that does no
Ronald Widha
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I originally thought the book will be a dry faux-academic content of how to construct and deliver a good presentation. But I was pleasantly proven wrong. The author weave interesting anecdotes from CEO and leaders around the world to keep me engaged. The only small gripe that I have is the fact the examples tended to get reused and reused again. I guess there were only that many Jobs' product launches to get used by the 10 or so chapters.
Hiep Nguyen
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great tips of how to design & deliver a great presentation like legendary Steve. The end-benefit of great presentations is to create strongly rememberable experience through various dramas by using demos, demonstrations, inviting endorsers, etc. If owning a "do differently" mindset, the book really makes you stand out!
VVVV KKK
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is not a guide how to create your presentations but it is a good example of a best presentations. Everyone has to have his own style and learning from different sources will help it. Keep in mind the Steve Jobs' style and create your own
Sharon
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of information and tips about how to make successful presentations, but it seemed a bit repetitive about 2/3 of the way through it.
Joselyn Quintero
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way I communicated to the people: simply, sticky and memorable!
Kirill Klimov
Can recommend with caution: do not try to use it as receipt book. However as list of things to consider might be helpful. Found few interesting tips...
Gentiane
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not always applicable for research presentation, but a good summary.
Chandan Ravandur n
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is not a guide how to create your presentations but yes, it is a good example of a best presentations.
Below is the basic structure what books cover (Steve Jobs' style)
• First you need to build the structure of presentation
• Then need to incorporate a power full message
• And finally you need to tell a memorable story
Build the structure
Create road map
The Power of three
Create a twitter-friendly description
Timing
Create the message ...more
Mridul Singhai
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book does an okay-ish job at pointing out some key principles (keeping things minimal, simple and easy to understand being the central one) that lie behind effectively communicating one's ideas to a wide audience. The writer does so by astutely observing Steve Jobs's keynotes over the years, but soon it starts seeming like he's cherry-picking examples that cater to his inherent biases.

To the enlightened reader (whom I'd assume to be someone who has above-average observational skills), this
Sierra Gooch
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was easy to read and did a good job of delivering great advice about giving talks/speeches. However, in my experience, most people are not actually asked to give presentations in this style at work. They are required to create decks that have to work for either an actual presentation or just leave behind material, because often the deck is forwarded on without your presence. Because of this, I felt that much of the book was largely irrelevant to what the majority of business professiona ...more
Tulika
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book to hone my ppt making and presenting skills. This book will provide you with lots of details on how to make your ppt the Jobs style taking cues from many of his presentations. However, let us face the reality, the business presentation we do in front of client is very different and cannot be like Jobs'. The book stands a true to its name, hence I shouldn't complain. Last 3-4 chapters were the best ones.
Joey
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably already too familiar with the material

I've been exposed to much of this material already over the past few years, so it probably limited my enjoyment of it. Kinda like seeing "Hoosiers" for the first time after years of seeing all the other underdog sports movies it inspired.

Plenty of helpful tips and examples.

Kindle edition struggles with the charts and the secondary features with the body text. A few times, it was confusing to follow.
Ryan Lackey
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of presenter techniques, using Steve Jobs as an example of a great presenter. Essentially the image-heavy, single concept per slide, engaging, "fun" style which is pretty widely accepted now (vs old style hierarchical bullets). There are a bunch of specific good tips throughout, so even for an experienced presenter it is a worthwhile book.
Liam Vo
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best book about presentation that I have ever read. Wish I knew about this book sooner so that I don't bore my audience to tears. This book should not be rested on your bookshelf, it should be with you all the time whenever you need to pitch an idea to someone or a group of people
Joanne
There was great information in the book, but it took way too many words and way too much repetition of information to share the information. The sales pitch at the beginning of the book was a waste of my time. And the excellent information about Steve Jobs' presentation style could easily have been presented with about a third of the words used due to all the repetition.
Dave
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book it covered all the points I've learned in courses and books plus more tips for presenting and public speaking. Most of the material covers major presentations and product launches it would also be beneficial to cover smaller presentations to leadership teams of 10 or so with pre-read material as an improvement to the book.
Joshua Thomas
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Incredibly practical, easy-to-follow guide on creating presentations that inspire. Gallo shares lots of examples from the iconic presentations master, Steve Jobs, and keeps the thesis moving quickly. I really enjoyed this book and think it'll stay on my desk as a go to resource.
John Karabaic
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thorough, methodical handbook on how to up your presentation game. Well & simply written, nicely organized, and inspiring. Completely consistent with what I know about what it was like working on an SPJ keynote, even includes a quote from my old boss at NeXT.

• Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
  • Lend Me Your Ears: All you need to know about making speeches and presentations
  • How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Profit from the Positive
  • Real Leaders Don't Do PowerPoint: How to Sell Yourself and Your Ideas
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • The Cleveland Clinic Way: Lessons in Excellence from One of the World's Leading Healthcare Organizations
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Carmine Gallo is an American author, columnist, keynote speaker, and former journalist and news anchor. Now currently based in Pleasanton, California, he is President of Gallo Communications Group and works as a communications coach and speaker
“New research into cognitive functioning—how the brain works—proves that bullet points are the least effective way to deliver important information. Neuroscientists are finding that what passes as a typical presentation is usually the worst way to engage your audience.” 7 likes
“Leaders are fascinated by the future. You are a leader if, and only if, you are restless for change, impatient for progress, and deeply dissatisfied with the status quo.” He” 2 likes