Start by marking “Foodie Handbook” as Want to Read:
Foodie Handbook

Foodie Handbook

From Pim Techamuanvivit, knowledgeable foodie and "queen of the food bloggers," comes this engaging guidebookto all things food-related. Pim has toured the globe to bring hungry people up to date with what's happening in thefood world through Chez Pim, a Web site that attracts 10,000 hits a week. In The Foodie Handbook, she collects tips, secrets, anecdotes, and recipes fr ...more
Published August 26th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Foodie Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foodie Handbook

Start your review of Foodie Handbook
Amy
Sep 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Okay. I have to say that I'm not impressed with this "(almost) definitive guide to gastronomy" by "Pim, queen of food bloggers". I've followed several food blogs from time to time and learned much more in those blogs than in this book. But I did learn a lot about Pim from reading her "foodie" handbook:
1. Pim does not like beets and even the best beet recipe is lost on her
2. Pim has enough money to travel all over the world eating food
3. Pim loves truffles but scoffs at truffle oil
4. Pim eats at
Lorin Kleinman
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
The Foodie Handbook is not so much—as the title suggests—a definitive guide to gastronomy, as a tour of Pim Techamuanvivit’s occasionally idiosyncratic ideas about food. The voice is the same one that has made her blog so popular, and the book is full of (really quite adorable) pictures of Pim.

There is genuinely useful information: avoiding bad restaurants, or food poisoning when eating street food, for instance. The recipes range from an easy pie crust to a quite elaborate pad thai, are clearly
Eling
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, cookbooks
I enjoyed this well enough. Pim's writing is entertaining and casual, perfect blog fodder, but I was hoping for a bit more from the book. The recipes are a nice touch--definitely some gems-- but I wasnt looking fir a cookbook.

Pim clearly has a wealth of experience in eating, as well as the connections to continue having amazing foodie moments, and she does know her stuff. However, I don't think the book is quite extensive or in-depth enough to be called even an "(almost) definitive" guide to ga
Cari
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, food-drink
Let's be honest: I'm not a foodie, I can't tell one seasoning from another, and I can't cook to save my life. (Seriously. Without the microwave and my basic pasta-boiling skills, I would starve.) Yet even I recognize this book is a (almost) definitive guide to nothing but the author's own culinary likes and dislikes...which is fine by me. Included are some really intriguing (and relatively simple) recipes that I've marked to try when I'm feeling particularly daring (or like burning the house dow ...more
Nikki
Dec 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
It really boggles the mind that so many people despise the term "foodie". Well what in the Sam Hill term should you use instead? Foodist? Foodver? Foodabinga? Foodemic? Foodmando? Foodanista?

It troubles me that there is such disdain for a word and that it is immediately mocked by those who will set themselves apart by declaring that they are not in any way "foodies" because they are more better than all foodies (or fatties as some things I read liked to call people with an "over-interest" in foo
Shannon Kauderer
It was ok. There was a lot that I already knew and a number of the recipies aren't ones I'm likely to make due to lack of good quality ingredients in the area. I liked the list of things a foodie should try that was at the end of the book, a number of those were interesting and specific.
Cara
Sep 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Just when I started worrying that I'd gone over the edge with the food nut thing, this book showed me I still have a waaaays to go.

I agree with the overall principle of the book: eat really good stuff and enjoy it fully. It's when we get down to the details that I realize there are still a whole lot of ingredients that are de rigueur for a foodie that I've never even heard of. She does a good job with the recipes, though, walking the reader through the hows and whys of making a dish, as opposed
Jonathan
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The focus is on the very upscale, and large parts don't mesh with my own approach to eating, particularly the emphasis on rather expensive, imported ingredients such as truffles. I'd love to be able to spend a week each year in the same chateau in France...it's unlikely I'll be able to do so. On the other hand, there is excellent practical advice on choosing good places to eat, safe street eating, some very good recipes, and an engaging writing style. I picked up a copy inexpensively, and I'd su ...more
Marjanne
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Generally I liked what this author had to say about food, but I didn't agree with everything. I will probably hold on to some of the recipes, but I highly doubt that three star restaurants are anywhere in my future (and I'm not really all that upset by it). The author does seem a bit pretentious at times and that turned me off, and I pretty much skipped over the section on alcohol as I don't drink. Otherwise a couple of good ideas.
Diana Lupu
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I was reading about this book online and then I ventured to my local bookstore and was delighted to find it discounted at about a quarter of its regular price. I was very excited when I started reading but sort of lost interest half way through. Pretentious, name dropping, recommending dinners at L'Arpege at 280 euros/person, exotic ingredients you don't normally get. I got maybe 3 recipes I can try out of it. Meh...
Dee
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Pim clearly loves food and is deeply knowledgeable about it. Her recipes draw from a variety of sources and many of them sound delicious. The foodie to-do list at the back of the book was fun to read. That said, her book could have used more editing: distracting grammar mistakes, unnecessary snark about vegans/ geeks, etc. A fun library read but not necessarily one I'd purchase.
Rachael
It was fun to read Pim's views on food and drool over some of the places she has been and things she has eaten. However, I think if you're looking on a definitive guide to being a foodie, this book gives a method that isn't totally accessible to a lot of people because of it's focus on world travel and Michelin star food.
Simone Rodrigues
I will enjoy trying to make some of these recipes and one or two things of the "Fifty things every foodie should do, or at least try, once in her life" like " Sip a perfect espresso at Caffé Mulassano in Turin" or " Throw a Pad Thai party with your friends".
Julie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Pretentious and unattainable for 99% of readers-- this gives the word "foodie" an even worse connotation. The pictures are beautiful, and her pad Thai recipe is spot-on, which is the only reason I've given this boom two stars. Glad I got it on remainder.
Cordelia Yu
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
While the recipes were good and it made a few good points, the book included far too much name dropping. It spent too much time telling readers how to act like foodies and not enough about being foodies.
Christina
Nov 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
i just was not impressed at all by this book. i adore food and this book was just blah.
Louis
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really glad I picked this up in the cheapie section of the bookstore.Nothing of any redeeming quality and the author pre-supposes everyone has the money to fly around the world tasting food.
Melissa
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would love it if Pim would move to Saugatuck and become my new best friend, she is amazing!
HealthCastleGlo
rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2009
Denise
Mar 06, 2011

• Into the Land of the Unicorns (The Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Check, Please!: Year Two
  • Check, Please! Year Three
  • Check, Please! Year Four
  • Vampire on the Orient Express (Avery & Carter, #1)
  • This Book Is Gray
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
  • Lily
  • Pyre at the Eyreholme Trust
  • Mastering the Art of French Eating: Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris
  • The Witch With The Glitch
  • Murder in the Merlot (Ray Elkins Thrillers #8)
  • Writing the Private Eye Novel: A Handbook by the Private Eye Writers of America
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • The Mage & the Magpie (Magemother, #1)
  • A Guide To The Louvre