Start by marking “Managing Transitions” as Want to Read:
Managing Transitions

Managing Transitions

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,476 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Making the Most of Change (3rd ed.)

Without a clear understanding of what transition does to employees and what employees in transition can, in turn, do to an organization, the job of managing workplace change can be difficult; managed poorly, the result can be disastrous to the morale and stability of the staff. As veteran business consultant William Bridges explains in de
Paperback, 3rd Ed, 192 pages
Published September 22nd 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Managing Transitions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Transitions

Sara
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I received a copy of this book from my workplace because we are getting bought out by another company. I attended a Working Through Transition class and all of the attendees received a copy of this book.

This book is actually a guide for management to lead their employees through a successful transition. There is an ending, a neutral zone, and a new beginning.

This book is not exactly geared for an employee finding out they are getting laid off.

I will say it appears my company is doing a good job
Pamela
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The news that the grant which funds the work my team and I do was ending prompted me to return to this book I first read parts of when another "sea change" was coming to the AVID world: the retirement of Mary Catherine Swanson, and the appointment of a new Executive Director. Much was changing, and Chapter 3 of this Book ("How to Get People to Let Go") helped me gain perspective on managing my own feelings of grief, as well as helping those around me figure it out. It was the end of an era for t ...more
Mark Kaech
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To echo my friend that recommended this book, I wish I had read this years ago.
Molli
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career, leadership
Written more for the manager/executive handling major transitions (plant closings, mass layoff, etc.) than the layperson dealing with more day-to-day changes, but very thought-provoking and highly re-readable. A bit idealistic, perhaps, but certainly geared at erring on the side of sensitivity and compassion.
Geoffrey Graham
External changes can lead to periods of transition. These can be losses in relationships, or changes in your home life, work, career or finances and/or personal changes. Internal shifts such as spiritual awakenings, psychological insights and/or changes in self-image can also result in periods of transition.

Transition periods have three parts-an ending (of something), an in-between space and a new beginning. Each period or phase can be difficult, but the in-between space can often be the most co
Liz
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change is a follow-up to Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes. Two major differences:
1) The first book is about transitions and change in life, broadly, but using a lot of examples from transitions that happen in the workplace.
2) The second book is all about facilitating transitions and big changes within organizations and companies, and very little about changes that happen in personal lives. All the examples come from workplace situations.

The fir
Pavleras
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book has been a valuable experience. This book put a name to different phases you go through when changing from one state to another one. transition readiness is specially interesting to assess the organizations williness toward change.

Besides, the author provides many areas where leaders could act when supporting a transition.

A must for transition developers and organizational coaches to understand a common issue I organizations nowadays
Eryc
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I'm very familiar with Bridges's work, this is the first time I've read this book cover to cover. So relevant to work I'm currently doing that I had to, and it did not disappoint. Clear insights expressed clearly. Highly recommended for anyone interested in or dealing with personal or organizational transition or change.
Craig Davison
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every manager of teams/people should read this. Especially if your organization is undergoing change. (and what organization isn't, these days?). Great next steps and check lists for you to leverage any time you need to reference. Be warned: you will wish you'd read this earlier as you reflect on how you could've managed change better. Live and learn!
Dave
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book if you are in management, which I'm not. Also, the book might make more sense if you have read Transitions: Making sense of life's changes, which I have not, but am going to read next.

Overall, I like his theory. I'm just struggling how to apply it to my life right now.
Michael
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book, and a very good read for anyone who has to manage people going through important changes. I have used this for students, for women and men transitioning from welfare to work and for adjudicated youth trying to make changes in the way they are living. Really insightful.
Chris
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Best book on how to manage yourself and other through change out there. Why is it good? Two primary reasons - approachable in writing style, easy to understand and apply theory. A very useful fairly quick read.
Westerville
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
"Instruction manual for helping yourself and others weather changes. Though the focus is on work transitions, this could easily be used as a guide for personal changes as well." -Tamara
Steve Kreidler
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the best introductory book for upcoming managers to learn about the complexity and difficulties of change management. I have used it for years with upper mid management to great success.
Karen Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and easy to read. Reminds managers that change is a process
and needs to be respectful of how employees experience transition. Was suggested to me
and I will suggest it to others.
Brigid
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The concept is interesting. It could have been 50 pages instead of 200. Very repetitive.
Scott Mabry
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for the people side of change!
Boris
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good insights, structures, and advice
Matthew
One of the ‘classic’ texts on “change management” is Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change by William Bridges, originally published in 1991 and last updated in 2009. William Bridges, an American author, speaker, and organizational consultant, emphasizes the importance of understanding transitions as a key for organizations to succeed in making changes. One of the theses of the book is that ‘transition’ is the psychological process of adapting to change and it is this that Bridges spend ...more
Ken
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: This review/interview originally appeared as a posting on my professional blog, "The Nonprofit Consultant Blog." The audience on that blog is others working in the nonprofit sector.

Regular readers of this blog know that I've been involved in two successful nonprofit mergers, as well as a third attempt that was never consummated, and I've written several blog posts on my feelings about nonprofit mergers. So, when I received a message asking if I was interested in speaking with Tom McLaughli
Beth
This was a recommended read from a management retreat I attended for New England librarians. It was alright... the main thing that stuck with me is that people need time to grieve over loss experienced through change. Whether it is a change in process, software, staffing, method, - anything at all. A loss is a loss. Change should not be halted but an allowance for emotions tied to loss should be provided.
Joel Gibbons
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellently laid out plan for dealing with transitions. The book is very practical, although it does include the psychology and theory behind the concepts to help fill in understanding. The real test for me will be whether or not I can utilize the ideas and recommendations of Bridges to work through my own transitions and those of my organization and teams.
Missy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So. Good. Anyone who manages people should read this book. I usually take down the best quotes in Goodreads as I go along, but I highlighted so much of the book that I can't do that this time. A must-read for anyone leading a team through a time of change.
Stuart Macalpine
I read this as it is used by Bob Garmston in some of his books - it is useful in thinking about how people react to transitions and organisational life cycle changes - it is insightful, if a bit corporate for me - and all the basic ideas are very sound.
Jules
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: od
A wise, practical, and conversationally-written book about the human response to change (in a work environment, but really anywhere). I think this should be required reading for all managers and leaders.
Michele
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change is hard because most forget about the psychological and emotional shifts that must happen alongside any situational change. This book addresses that and shows leaders how to guide their people through the uncertainty of organizational change. Great resource with practical ideas and tools.
Very practical insights and examples. Handy reference to review throughout a transition
Peter
A must read for managers wanting to deal change transition
Dara
Great concept. Key ideas can be obtained from a précis.
Occhi Aperti
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone tried to understand and navigate personal or professional change.
Books to read after starting a new Career / job 1 4 Nov 28, 2015 01:31PM
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader
  • Lean Six SIGMA for Service: How to Use Lean Speed and Six SIGMA Quality to Improve Services and Transactions
  • The Heart of Change Field Guide: Tools And Tactics for Leading Change in Your Organization
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Leadership Jazz: The Essential Elements of a Great Leader
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company
  • Sensemaking in Organizations

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
William Bridges is an internationally known speaker, author, and consultant who advises individuals and organizations in how to deal productively with change.

Educated originally in the humanities at Harvard, Columbia, and Brown Universities, he was (until his own career change in 1974) a professor of American Literature at Mills College, Oakland, CA. He is a past president of the Association for H
More about William Bridges...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Author says change emphasizes what is happening TO us while transition emphasizes opportunity for growth within.” 1 likes
“GRASS: Guilt, Resentment, Anxiety, Self-absorption, and Stress. These are the five real and measurable costs of not managing transition effectively.” 1 likes