Start by marking “Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)

Lessons in Power

(Cambridge Fellows #4)

The ghosts of the past will shape your future. Unless you fight them...

Cambridge, 1907: After settling in their new home, Cambridge dons Orlando Coppersmith and Jonty Stewart are looking forward to nothing more exciting than teaching their students and playing rugby. Their plans change when a friend asks their help to clear an old flame who stands accused of murder.

Doing
Published September 22nd 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Power

Sophia
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This latest installment in the Cambridge Fellows series went some place dark and difficult for Jonty with the mystery that dredged up the worst time in his past. It was difficult to read because I have come to care so much for both Jonty and Orlando, but it was a triumphant read because there is an opportunity for Jonty, with Orlando right at his side, to slay the demons once and for all.

This one references back to a couple of the previous stories, but I suppose in a pinch a reader could read it
K
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having moved into their new cottage away from St Brides, Jonty and Orlando, along with their house keeper, are settling into their new life when Jonty's past comes back to haunt them. One of his abusers from boarding school has been murdered and the accused is known to an acquaintance if theirs. As they play detective, with the help of Jonty's father, Jonty becomes withdrawn from Orlando and their relationship.
Kassa
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
The fourth book in a wonderfully delightful series, this story should not be read without reading the series in order. Although it certainly has the merit to stand on its own, readers will garner more depth and enjoyment from the entire series. Also the emotional and physical journey Orlando and Jonty take from their first meeting to their current relationship is not to be missed. This new offering is as fabulous as the other books and the series has certainly hit its stride with fully developed ...more
Elisa Rolle
This is by this time the fourth book I read with this fellows, and so now they are for me as familiar as old friends. I know them and I don't need to find new hint to understand them, but, it's strange, they seem always a bit different from book to book.

Jonty has always been the more easy of the two, in everything he did, job, life and love. Both Jonty and Orlando had bad experience in the past, but Jonty probably had the more traumatic experience, he was abused when he was a young boy at schoo
Elizabeth H.
I'm racing through this entire series and enjoying it a lot. Lessons in Power is the best of the four so far, for me, as it deals with the so-serious issue of Jonty's abuse when he was much younger and in school. Love that the author tackled this issue head-on and in a mostly-realistic manner.

The only hiccup in the book occurs at the very end for me, when we realize that one of the other students who was abused did commit murder and was, as was the way in the early 20th century, executed for hi
Kate McMurray
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Probably the strongest book in the series so far: the outcome of the mystery has high stakes for Jonty, it's got enough of a twist in it that I didn't put the whodunnit together until the end, and I appreciate that Orlando is really coming into his own. Very fun read over all.
Tracey
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Each book gets better and I fall in love with Jonty and Orlando more and more
Diane
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonty finally confronts his past, in a case where finding whodunit isn't the happy ending.

Jonty's forced to admit how far from "over it" he has been, and Orlando still has some gaps in his knowledge of the world, but they eventually make it through. The solving of the case isn't as satisfying as it could be, though, given the tangle of apparent remorse, delusion, vengeance, and shifting of blame. There's also a secondary happy thread that I wasn't sure about at first because a character's intro
Aoife
This book just made me feel very uncomfortable and I can't explain why exactly. There is nothing obviously bad. It doesn't treat past abuse as something that's convenient to start the plot and then can be forgotten. It also doesn't claim that trauma can be healed only by the Power Of True Love(TM) alone. It acknowledges that things can get better and then worse again and there's really not a single scene I can point to and say 'that was bad'. And still I'm uncomfortable.
F.
Another enjoyable read though a tad more serious than previous books. In this episode, Jonty is forced to face his demons and in doing so has to tell others what he has kept hidden for so long. Orlando becomes very protective and is always there at Jonty's side even though Jonty withdraws from the more physical side of their relationship. Love this series!!
4 stars
Melanie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Rating: 5 stars

Cambridge 1907

After the tumultuous doings where Orlando lost his memory albeit temporarily, Drs. Coppersmith and Stewart are now happily ensconced in their newly purchased home, Forsythia Cottage. But it's not long before mystery and murder find them again. Matthew Ainslie, friend and acquaintance (depending upon which of the men you talked to, Orlando never quite forgiving Matthew for his actions on Jersey) has a problem. An old flame of Matthew's is accused of murder and Matthew
Julesmarie
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this one the cycle of reassurance between these two started to wear a little. Still a delightful story, still an intriguing mystery. And I'll still continue the series. This one just wasn't quite as much fun as the first three.

Some Favorite Quotes:
On bad days, the events still buzzed around Jonty's brain; they sounded in his ears like a heartbeat when he lay down to sleep, screeching in his ears like an alarm when he awoke.

"Small turning points, that's what life consists of. One little deci
Mara Ismine
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I hadn't expected Jonty to face up to his childhood trauma at all, so this was a shock. In Jonty's era keeping a stiff upper lip and pretending it never happened would have been what was expected. Any resolution was welcome though. I'm not sure that the resolution was less painful than the original trauma, at least from the readers' perspective. Even if Jonty found it liberating and it was one more secret that didn't have to be kept between him and Orlando.

In my review for book two of the series
Heather
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read July 2016:
I didn't think it possible that I could love Jonty & Orlando more but this second time around is amazing!

Original Review August 2014:
Another great Jonty and Orlando tale. My heart was breaking for Jonty having to relive the ordeals he suffered in his earlier years. My heart also ached for Orlando having to watch the man he loved relive those horrors and not be able to help other than be there for him. Which of course meant more than Orlando realized it did. This mystery hit
Suze
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
To get best from these books, the cumulative effect of the series is important so whilst you could read standalone, I would suggest reading the series in order.
Jonty goes to the dark places of his time at school which has been referred to before. Here we get names, get to see the impact it has on him and his family and Orlando.
(view spoiler)
Linda-Grace
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book with written with such sensitivity to such a very sensitive subject matter. The actions and reactions of every one involved so different from each other but totally understandable in each case even if murder is wrong. Again i find no fault fault with this book i love all the prinicple characters ie Orlando, Jonty, Mr & Mrs Stewart and even matthew Ainslie who i wasnt sure about in the second book.
Tamela
Another mystery which raises some awful nightmares for Jonty. Orlando tries to shield him, protect him, but in the end Jonty has to face the demons of his past so he can heal and move forward.

One of my favorites in this series. Recommended
===================
1st read - Mar 7, 2015
2nd read - Jan 14, 2016
Annelise Lestrange
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m
This book was, so far, the more complex one on the series. Jonty's problems were so awful...
(view spoiler)
Cameluta
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think this is the best book in series so far. I really liked how Jonty's character was developed, Charlie Cochrane did a wonderful job in showing his fears, struggles, and how he overcame his old demons.
This series is consistently wonderful. Jonty is put through the wringer as trauma from his past comes to the forefront. I loved how patient Orlando was. Also enjoyed Mr. Stewart's role in the sleuthing. The ending was sweet for Jonty and Orlando plus also for Matthew Ainslie.
Bookbee
A good 4th book in this series. I really like these characters and so appreciate the style and ability of the author.
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very good historical m/m mystery/romance in which events conspire to bring up a dark event from Jonty's past that continues to haunt him.
Saba
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Darker than any of the previous books, but well done I think, in its execution. I love the way it ended for Matthew, I think that might have been my favorite part :)
Edina Rose
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is even better than the first 3 books. The mystery, the romance and the lesson learned make this book stand out in an already good series.
Nightcolors
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Jon Wilson
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My ranking of the series after reading Book 4 (from most favorite)

1) Power (#4)
2) Love (#1)
3) Desire (#2)
4) Discovery (#3)

Lee Brazil
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very nice! Great little mystery - it was nice to see Jonty as the troubled hero- and added depth to the relationship.
Lily
Another enjoyable story in this historical series.
CJ88
Dec 31, 2011
Chris Smith
Dec 27, 2010

• Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • The Dark Farewell
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Frost Fair
  • Lover's Knot
  • Convincing Leopold (London Legal, #2)
  • Captain's Surrender
  • The Only Gold
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
Because Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice—like managing a rugby team—she writes. Her mystery novels include the Edwardian era Cambridge Fellows series, series, and the contemporary Best Corpse for the Job. Multi-published, she has titles with Carina, Samhain, Riptide and Bold Strokes, among others.

A member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association, Mystery People a

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)
“But then, as the man himself often said, laws were there to be stretched and explored, were they not?” 1 likes