Start by marking “Judge Sn Goes Golfing” as Want to Read:
Judge Sn Goes Golfing

Judge Sn Goes Golfing (The Android's Dream Short Story)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  680 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
John Scalzi visits the universe of his bestselling novel The Android's Dream for this exclusive short story, featuring fan favorite character Judge Nugan Bufan Sn -- a brilliant alien jurist whose misanthropy and lack of social graces is matched only by his futile, unrequited for the game of golf. When he hits the links at the absymal Dulles Woods golf course, the unexpect ...more
Published December 31st 2009 by Subterranean

To ask other readers questions about Judge Sn Goes Golfing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Judge Sn Goes Golfing

Dan Schwent
Judge Sn, alien jurist posted on Earth, is banned from every golf course around Washington DC except the worst one ever constructed, Dulles Woods. He's having a life-changing golf game when the shooting starts...

I received this novella I've never heard of as part of the 2012 Subterranean Press grab bag. It was good for a chuckle.

With art by Gahan Wilson, Judge Sn Goes Golfing is an odd little book. The judge recounts his life, mostly of how he's been banned from most golf courses east of the Mis
L (Sniffly Kitty)
Amusing little short story. Although it's not quite long enough to develop everything to be loveable, it's still a fun read. I love having this collectible from Scalzi though.
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With illustrations by Gahan Wilson. HA!
Mayank Agarwal
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-story
Wanted to read more from the world of "Android Dreams" but this story was just for fun without any plot, sad part it tried too hard to be funny.
Karen
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read 2/11/15
JDK1962
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just OK. Entertaining writing but (a) I don't give a monkeys about golf, (b) a jerk alien isn't that entertaining, (c) I didn't quite follow how one can be a crap golfer but suddenly have an absolutely fantastic round, and (d) the chances of multiple assassins showing up (apparently for the first time in Judge Sn's life) on the same date AND the same hole seemed to strain credulity in a way that a golf-playing alien judge didn't. And how the attempted assassinations led to the conclusion--or con ...more
David
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

I cannot think of more literary fun you can find for a buck. For more fun try the Androids Dream
Tracy Leigh
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan girl and will read anything Scalzi writes. I love The Android's Dream and I got a few good laughs out of this story, which is set in that universe. Good times.
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute quick story. I think it ties in with the Androids Dream book, vaguely.
Gregg Wingo
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess I have the Scalzi bug. His humor is infectious, his homages to Philip K. Dick delight me, and he tells a damn fine story. And as far as I can tell he deserves every accolade he has received from the SF community. He is not reverent or hard SF, he is not part of the new literary trend invading science fiction, and he is not the pondering philosopher in disguise that Dick brought to the genre but like PKD he tells a yarn and has fun with it.

This story starts with Dickian play an
Adrian
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, sci-fi, humor
My rating: 3.5 stars
Audiobook narrator John Scalzi rating: 3.5 stars

This was a fun and short story from John Scalzi and read by him too. It was a little slow at first but I liked where the story was going and liked how it ended up. It would be fun to make this into an animated short film. John Scalzi’s narration was ok as well – not too bad.
Jon
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious & a 20 minute read. The only thing "wrong" with the short story is that I had higher expectations for the Gahan Wilson illustrations. This could be a humorous surprise for a golf lover, but, as I understand it, there were only 1500 copies printed. It is available on Amazon, but I wonder how long they'll last....
Cale
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another very silly short story about the transformative power of golf. Even for aliens. The climax is absurd to the extreme, but a very enjoyable quick read. The only knock against it was there wasn't enough Gahan Wilson artwork to the story - seeing his name as the illustrator was a nice bonus that unfortunately didn't pan out overall considering how limited the illustrations were.
Abigail
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I listened to this as an audio book today and the only reaction / review I can give is: WTF?!

Although I did enjoy the Monty Python reference of "It's just a flesh wound." But seriously, WTF was that?
Jen
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
This was wonderfully silly. If you like Scalzi's style of humor, you'll like this. There's not a ton of plot here, but it's a fun, light read.

This is a companion piece to The Android's Dream, but you don't have to have read that book in order to enjoy this.
Ryan Nims
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the character of Judge Sn in his brief appearance in The Android's Dream, so it was a no-brainer for me to pick up this little short story about the grumpy alien judge. It's a quick read, and a fun little romp in the fairway!
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
not one of his best.
Randy
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
humorous story set in the universe of The Android's Dream. Great illustrations throughout as well as cover art by Gahan Wilson.
Nicholas
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A Scalzi short that Scalzi fans, especially those who liked The Androids Dream will enjoy.

I liked it, but it did read like a bit of writing exercise.
Jesi
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable short story.
Shawn
Sep 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A fun, 32 page short story set in the "Android's Dream" universe.
Dustin
Shelves: signed
Subterranean Press One of 1500
Angie
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun SF story, especially for a golfer, but the ending was a bit disappointing.
Tristan
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A nice, amusing, short story.
Not enough substance to quite get four stars, but still a good read, and one I may read again if I want a quick laugh.
Jeremy Preacher
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-stories
I am becoming increasingly addicted to Subterranean Press's habit of publishing fascinating shorts from my favorite authors.
Christopher
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I think everyone who has ever struggled to find the perfect game of golf will completely relate to this story.
Brad
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, mindfuq
Very funny short. I am fully reminded of the best of Douglas Adams, mixed with the best of our very jaded sensibilities. I really have to read The Android's Dream now.
Lukas Lovas
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Short and fun, worth a laugh or two, but it wasn't really anything special...as short stories go, not bad :)
Nicki
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
VERY funny, in a black humor sort of way. Reminded me of Grosse Pointe Blank for some obvious reasons.
  • Clash of the Geeks
  • Hostile Takeover (How to Succeed in Evil)
  • Atomic Robo: The Ghost of Station X (Atomic Robo, #6)
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Echelon
  • METAtropolis: Cascadia
  • Investments (Dread Empire's Fall, #3.5)
  • Insight: Reflections on the Gifts of Being an Introvert
  • Bless Your Mechanical Heart
  • Space Raptor Butt Invasion
  • The Walk Up Nameless Ridge
  • Overtime (Laundry Files, #3.5)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • All My Sins Remembered
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • Invincible, Vol. 12: Still Standing
  • All Seated on the Ground
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)
More about John Scalzi...

The Android's Dream (2 books)
  • The Android's Dream