Start by marking “Wow! Said the Owl” as Want to Read:
Wow! Said the Owl

Wow! Said the Owl

Here's the story of a curious little owl determined to see what the world looks like during the day. And what does she discover? A wow-worthy symphony of colors—from red butterflies to orange flowers, from white clouds to green leaves.

This boisterous and bright book is the perfect read-aloud to savor with curious little owls everywhere who are exploring the world of colors
Published September 15th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published June 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wow! Said the Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wow! Said the Owl

Rossy
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A little owl stays awake and discovers daytime and all the amazing colors nature has. She also stays awake at nighttime and finds out that stars are the most beautiful of all things!
Cute book and great for introducing colors to kids :)
DadReads
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heidi’s favourite toy is a soft owl, and her favourite pastime is reading stories. So it should be no surprise that she has plenty of books about owls. There’s Owl Babies by Martin Waddell and Patrick Benson. There’s Ten Little Owls by Renee Treml. There’s The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear, illustrated by Jan Brett. There’s Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. Actually, how did that one get onto her shelf?

But by far her favourite owl book is Wow! Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood.
Natasha
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kai-reads-0-3
My little guy loves this book to bits. He pours over the illustrations, shouting "moon", "star", "owl", "butter" (that's butterfly, by the way), "WOW!" and pointing to the corresponding pictures. He is completely absorbed when I read this to him too, sitting on my lap and only turning the pages when I ask him to. That is not at all common for my 18 month old who loves flitting around the room while I read or taking the book from me and having his merry way with it (which usually involves turning ...more
Alyssa Tabor
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun colors book. Good for storytime.
Isobel
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is good for reception children because it helps them to understand different colours and rainbows.
Nathan
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is really cute and would likely work well for storytime.
Kristin
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book for introducing colors in nature.
Logan Daggy
This book is all about colors. In WOW! Said The Owl, there is a young owl who is very curious about what goes on during the day. Instead of sleeping during the day and being awake at night, she takes a nap and wakes up just before dawn. When the little owl wakes up she begins to see the sun come up and all of the beautiful colors that appear in the sunlight. She sees orange flowers, red butterflies, grey rain clouds, and then all of the colors of the rainbow. This book would be great to read wit ...more
John
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book, because "Wow," said the owl, "that's a lot of colors!" That includes red, yellow, blue, grey, and light blue, dark blue, shade of blues, shades of whites, yellows, every shade of any color. The shade of purple, like light, dark, medium, any piece of paint you can find. Like in Rufus: The Bat Who Loved Colors, sort of the same.
Ria
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cute little children's book that is designed to blend learning with reading. This book dealt with learning colours and every page mentions a different colour highlighted within the story.
Simplistic for early readers it still had a lovely tale woven around teaching children about a mischievous owl who couldn't sleep and noticed all the beautiful colours in the world around us.
Cara
A young owl stays awake all day so she can see all the colors of the day. So excited was she that she stayed awake all tonight too and discovered that nighttime is just as beautiful, if not more so, than the daylight.
A cute book with great illustrations. Good for young kids to learn their colors or if they're just starting to read.
Nicola
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 3 wasn't interested in the book but she showed some interest in the colour wheel at the back.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zoe's Human
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt
A longer story suitable for the first book of storytime. The print is great for reading off to the side with the book facing your audience. However, it's length makes handling slightly awkward. Totally worth it though for a fun story with lots of colors and drama.
Portable
Cute illustrations and exploration of the different colours to be found in nature. Owl is a night-time bird, but decides to stay up and see what the day has to offer, exploring a rainbow of colours. Great for encouraging the IB attitude appreciation.
Libby
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book to teach about colors. And since my son is obsessed with the moon this book had plenty of moon pictures. Such a cute way to teach the different colors.
Michelle
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A bit long for very young readers but has great real life examples of colors
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-tales
Great for a storytime on colors! Baby owl stays awake in the day time to see all the colors of the world. We used this with our toddler group.
Donna Mork
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great story that teaches the colors.
Christine Grant
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Owl Story Time. Curious owl decides to stay awake during the day instead of going to sleep. He sees so many colors. Not much of a story, but good for color exploration.
Allison
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to colors.
Juliana Lee
Little Owl stays awake to see the colors during the day.
Kimberly
Used in TT storytime on 10/4/17. The "WOW!" refrain is cute but this book didn't hold the kids' attention particularly well.
Karla Winick-Ford
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
If your kids love owls this is a cute book

Not a great piece of literature but not bad at all
Anita
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Very attractive illustrations and the text is simple and easy to read.
Kareena
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun story about colors. Not great by itself, but totally perfect for a storytime based on colors.
Dewey
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! I love the owl's curiosity and all the colorful illustrations.
Allison
Great for toddler storytime.
Beth
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would be great for preschool storytime. You could have the kids say Wow! with the owl on every page and make a flannel board with all the colored objects the owl sees.
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Owl defies his nocturnal nature to see what the day is like. As a result he gets to experience all kinds of beautiful new colors!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • What Does Bunny See?: A Book of Colors and Flowers
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Jump!
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
Tim Hopgood is an award-winning illustrator whose work has been featured in magazines such as Esquire, GQ, and Harper’s. He lives in York, England.