Start by marking “His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)” as Want to Read:
His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)

His at Night

(The London Trilogy #3)

Love is hottest in the darkness before dawn.

Elissande Edgerton is a desperate woman, a virtual prisoner in the home of her tyrannical uncle. Only through marriage can she claim the freedom she craves. But how to catch the perfect man?

Lord Vere is used to baiting irresistible traps. As a secret agent for the government, he’s tracked down some of the most devious criminals
Mass Market Paperback, 417 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about His at Night, please sign up.
Trish R. Not understanding your question? Buy the paperback or the hardcover or buy it as a download. Can you clarify your question?

Shannon
Let it be known that I don't normally read historical romance. I'm not an expert on the genre and I don't claim to know everything, but this story was BAD.

The hero was as stupid as the premise, and I wish I had never bought this book.

The entirety of this novel revolves around the concept that Lord Vere, the male protagonist, is a complete idiot. He was given the opportunity to work for the Crown undercover and he chose to use a riding accident as his reason for his current less-intelligent stat
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
His at Night was a very clever, multi-layered story. It is about two people who live their lives while playing out a role, 24 hours out of the day. Both Vere and Elissande have very good reasons for why they pretend to be someone that they are not. Vere does it to right wrongs, to exact vengeance when he could not save his mother so many years ago. Elissande does it for her survival.

I was quite impressed with how Ms. Thomas wrote this book that made me laugh myself giddy in some scenes, and feel
new_user
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of light and funny, plus flawed heroes; also, The Scarlet Pimpernel
Shelves: historical
His at Night will surprise readers of Sherry Thomas' Private Arrangements and Not Quite a Husband used to her regretful, subtly intense narratives and realistic characters and dialogue. Both novels follow the conflicts facing two fully realized people in a relationship.

In contrast, His at Night hinges on a more implausible premise unrelated to the central romance, where hero Lord Vere adopts the pose of an idiot for years as an agent of the Crown. Perhaps the rockiest leg of this foundation
Rane
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: victorian-era, keeper
My first Sherry Thomas book, and while some say this book has a lighter feel to it, it still packs a big emotional wallop, that had me going through a major range of emotions from anger, to tears and cheers.

Sometimes it can be hard to feel for the characters, and for me it took sometime for me to really feel and understand where Vere was coming from. At first glance he comes across as a loveable idiot But as an agent of the crown, he can move more freely when everyone just thinks you don’t ha
Fani *loves angst*
I absolutely loved this book! I'm not sure anything can surpass my love for Private Arrangements, but after reading this one back to back with Not Quite a Husband, which I also adored, I think this one's my second favorite after all!

HaN starts lightly enough: Lord Vale is a Crown's agent pretending to be an idiot, working on a case about the heroine's uncle. Ellisande on the other hand wants to escape her uncle's home anyway she can. And the opportunity presents itself when Vale and a group of
Sarah Mac
Admittedly, I'm hard to impress when it comes to standard romance novels. But I can't stand it when these books are peddled as something they're not. His At Night is another in that oh-so-risque clump of romances -- the ones that want to be Hardcore Fiction in ways not dictated by Tab A/Slot B sex.

...But it didn't work.

Novels like this are terrified of offending their audience. They're desperate to reassure the reader that there's a familiar path, regardless of changing this trope or that angle
Kinga
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Every romance novel needs an obstacle. The idea is that the characters are perfectly suited for each other but there is something that is stopping them from being together - some misunderstanding or some dark secret for example.

The first thing to do if you want to write a romance novel is to come up with that obstacle. Sherry Thomas came up with this: let's make the male lead really smart and handsome but let's make him pretend he is dumbshit because he is a secret agent and 'dumbshit' is his co
♥ℳelody

I'm conflicted over this one. My feelings kept changing as I kept reading this. My first Sherry Thomas read and this book in particular kept coming my way so I caved and gave it a shot. The overall idea and story set up was intriguing and not typical. But the execution of it could have been better in some parts.

I started out enchanted with the hero and heroine's first meeting. Cliche in many ways yes. But still, these two people who are so lonely and have to 'playact' most of their lif
Eastofoz
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anne Stuart fans
Historical romance lover that I am, for some bizarre reason I’ve been avoiding Sherry Thomas on purpose because the stories just didn’t seem all that interesting. Strangely enough I did the same thing with Shana Abé and now I can’t say enough good about either author and they’re exceptionally talented writing style. For a book that doesn’t have much steam (just like Abé’s) Thomas wrote a very original story that had me whipping right through the 417 pages in just a few short days.

The story is de
Aly is so frigging bored
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to read a fun and dramatic, at the same time, book
Recommended to Aly is so frigging bored by: The cover :D
Shelves: historical, favorites
2nd read July 2013
This book is amazing! I love it even more then the 1st time. On a side note, it's one of the books that also makes me cry, a lot! I can't explain why.

1st read October 2011
Gender: Historical Romance (Years: 1890-1900)
Hero: Spencer Russell Blandford Churchill Stuart or "Penny", Marquees Vere
Heroine: Miss Elissande Edgerton
Rating: 5*+

I don't know how to explain why I loved this book, but I did. The hero was very intelligent and funny and he played the role of an idiot so good th
Caz
4.5 stars, but it feels closer to 5 than 4, so ...

I’ve been on a bit of a Sherry Thomas binge lately – I’ve devoured her two YA novels and listened to My Beautiful Enemy), and now, pounced on this new recording of one of her backlist titles, His at Night.

This is one of the small number of her books I haven’t yet read, but Kate Reading’s expert narration brings the story to life so vividly that I didn’t feel I’d missed anything by not having read the book first.

The story centres around two emoti
Verity
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fanz of The Scarlet Pimpernel
Vere has led an exhilarating but exhausting & lonely double lives as a secret agent for the crown. Justice in the name of Queen & Country is his tru’ calling. His & fellow comrades’ latest conundrum is how to infiltrate the house of Ellie’s uncle, the main suspect in a diamond extortion case. When Vere suggests the idea of releasing rats in 1 of his collaborator’s rented house, he has no inkling the pandemonium will be in the form of an ocean of rats (if U hate rats as much as Indian ...more
FlibBityFLooB
Ahhh... Reading this was sort of like slipping under a warm and comfy blanket. I had read Sherry Thomas' previous three novels and been very impressed, so I eagerly went out of my way to purchase and read this one when it was first published. I knew I was going to enjoy it as much as her previous novels after reading merely the first page and seeing her use the word "abstruse". Sherry Thomas has a very unique writing style in the genre of historical romance, with her intelligence and sharp wit s ...more
Juliana Philippa
Couldn't bring myself to believe they fell in love - or really even knew each other (2.5 stars)

[End of the Victorian era - England:]
His at Night is Sherry Thomas's fourth book, but the first of hers that I've read. Although I did not enjoy this book, I think Thomas is a talented author who has the ability to create interesting and complex characters. Not Quite a Husband has very good reader reviews, so I think I will be checking it out from the library and reading it before deciding that Thomas
Wicked Incognito Now
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is a typical historical romance, which leaves me feeling rather disappointed. Sherry Thomas is one of the more original and talented historical romance authors writing today. I always wait anxiously for her new releases. However, with this novel, she trotted out all of the typical historical romance story devices:

1. the dastardly villian
2. secret past, mistaken parentage
3. suspense plot-line
4. the forced marriage due to being caught in a "compromising position" by the ton gossip
5. the virg
Lady Wesley
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lady Wesley by: Caz
Shelves: m-o-c, listened
I read this book a couple of years ago and was not crazy about it. Primarily, I found it incredible that Vere kept up the ruse of being an idiot for thirteen years. I still have a problem that, but listening to Kate Redding's outstanding narration left me really loving this story. She has just the right voices for all of the characters.

Also, after reading the book, I commented that I didn't feel the heat between the main couple. Listening to Kate, however, I definitely felt it!

The audiobook ga
Kim H
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
I read this book in one long, 12 hour stretch, finishing just before midnight. It goes without saying that the natives were restless, waiting for mom to pull her nose out of that stupid kissing book, and see to their needs. But, as is usually the case when the kissing book in question is a Sherry Thomas, it goes without saying that it's a pizza night, remember to brush your teeth, try to get into bed at a decent hour, and interrupt me at your own risk.
My DH crept to the bedroom doorway two or t
Mahyar
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry
I’m totally awestruck. You’d be surprised of how funny, touching and captivating this book can be!

Reading His at Night was like having a fresh, brand new meal after eating the same food over and over again; it was very refreshing. A simple look, touch or kiss was more sizzling than a few pages of love-making in an erotic novel.

I’m officially a fan of Sherry Thomas now and I’ll read her other books as soon as possible.

Thank you, NU for encouraging me to read this wonderful book.
Beanbag Love
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*sniff* *sniff*

I loved this book. The story was hilarious in some spots, poignant in others and overall completely enjoyable.

Vere and Elissande are both play actors, each for a different reason. I thought this was a very fresh approach on the "wrong impression" trope and I did love their chemistry even as they wanted anything else under the sun but to fall for each other.

This was a great read for a lazy Sunday. It was on sale for Kindle when I bought it a while ago, but I don't know if it's st
Anne
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Loved it, loved it, loved it! The heroine and the hero were both incredibly interesting characters. I don't want to give anything away, but I have to say that I thought that the part where Elissande 'traps' Vere was one of the best scenes I've ever read in a romance novel! In a million years, I never would have seen it playing out like that. This whole book was just one long breath of fresh air. Did I mention I loved it?
Jan
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 to 3 stars. This book wasn't what I expected. I have read a couple of others by this author, but this one was a bit different. For starters, it was set in the late 1890s, which is a later time period than the HRs I typically read (Regencies and Georgians, usually). Also the book was different in style from my usual reads. It was out of my comfort zone, I guess. But although I went in with an open mind, I didn't really fall in love with the book.

The story is about two damaged people who find
Mei
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Sherry Thomas is a winner! :)

A very unusual historical! Iteresting heroine and a fantastic hero!!!

The idea that both of them are in their own way undercover is simply ingenious!

Wonderful execution and logical actions from both of them.

I loved how Elissande was aware of her situation and how she jumped on the occasion to save herself even if she knew it was not a honorable thing to do, but simce it was necessary I appreciated her will to act!

I also loved Vere! his intelligence and willness to un
Susana

Still a four star read; and surprisingly enough, this time around I didn't hate Vere all that much!
Guess I'm going to have to stop calling him 'the rat guy'. ;)

______________________"_____________________
Sherry Thomas is one of those authors, whose books are on my auto-buy list.
The author writes extremely engaging stories, with characters that are very human at heart.
In this one, we have the tale of two persons who in their lives are very well versed in the concept of lying.
For Elissande lying
Jacqueline J
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jacqueline J by: Fani *loves angst*
This was a captivating book. I have pretty stringent standards for historical romance and I felt that this book really brought to life the late Victorian period in a subtle but real way. I loved both the hero and the heroine. They were both believable and well written. I particularly enjoyed the contrast between the hero's foolish facade and the bleak and dark man who appeared at night the times that he was drunk and let his real self show. The emotions and relationship between them felt very re ...more
Laura J.
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
one of the best romances I've read

The hero is an idiot. He spills jam on himself, rambles, gets facts mixed up. The heroine always has a smile, is content taking care of her aunt and is a loving niece to her uncle. But are they? The book has depth, the characters complex, the villain truly evil. As the H/h understand each other and themselves more and more, the love story develops.
Kaetrin
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My favourite of Sherry's books so far. Why I read it: I've read Ms. Thomas' 3 previous releases and enjoyed them all. Plus, I thought they kept getting better so I was excited to read this new story. I read the excerpt on her website and I knew I was in for a treat.

What it's about: (here's the blurb from the author's website)
Aou
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: virgin-h
After reading The Luckiest Lady in London, this book have disappointed me. Neither Elissande nor Vere were smart and interesting as Louisa and Felix. Steam level was also lower. (sigh) Moreover side story of Freddie and Angelica was unnecessary. Shorter novel for Elli and Vere, a novella for Fred and Angel would have been better. Maybe both of the stories would have been less boring.
I' m just an ordinary reader of course. Above mentioned thoughts did not aim to diminish the author's work, just m
Searock
4 plus stars (plus what, I don't know and will never be able to decide)

My review will seem quite oxymoronic, I'm sure.

I want to give this book more stars for no more reason than this author is egregiously talented (oxymoron number one) and because I could not stop reading until the last page.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a smart, historical romance from the authorial lineage of Ivory or Kinsale. However, I didn't give the full 5 stars to this wonderful book and here's why:

I
Amelia Oswald
Yeah that's right I read it in one sitting and stayed up all night to read it so what. Why did I just give the book a 3 stars you may ask. Well fuck it no one can act like that, like even the Oscars winners can't do that. I mean it looks like the male protagonist has personality disorder, it like watching Split but instead of 23 personalities we have 2 opposite ones, most of the time he act like a dumb person (and sometime he is just stupid, and it's not an act) but other than that he acts rea ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 02, 2015 09:26AM
  • Written on Your Skin
  • One Week As Lovers (Somerhart, #3)
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #3)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Lessons in French
  • Captive of Sin
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

The London Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Private Arrangements (The London Trilogy #2)
“Was it possible—was it at all possible that she could come out of her most desperate choice with a man as clever as Odysseus who looked like Achilles and made love like Paris…?” 10 likes
“He felt as if he stood at the very top of a high cliff. Take a step back and all was safe and familiar. But going forward required a singular leap of faith—and he was a man of little faith, particularly when it came to himself. But he wanted her to look at him again as if he were full of possibilities. As if they were full of possibilities.” 8 likes