Start by marking “Let the Mountains Talk, Let the Rivers Run: A Call to Those Who Would Save the Earth” as Want to Read:

This is the testament of one of the few authentic sages of our time. Brower's voice is passionate, perfectly cadenced, humorous, and very wise. And original: while most writers point to where we are, this one draws the map.?Edward O. Wilson, author, "The Diversity of Life and Naturalist"Credited with galvanizing an entire generation of environmentalists in the 60's, David ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by New Society Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Mountains Talk, Let the Rivers Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Mountains Talk, Let the Rivers Run

Start your review of Let the Mountains Talk, Let the Rivers Run: A Call to Those Who Would Save the Earth
Kate
Oct 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Secretary of the Interior
First of all, when he was alive, David sat on the dividing line between amazing visionary and total nutcase. He has these absolutely crazy ideas about saving the environment that are so audacious that they made me laugh outloud. On the other hand, he was so full of hope and such a dedicated activist for the planet, that you gotta love him.
Natalie Hurd
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
"Don't forget Rule Number 6 [don't take yourself too seriously.] And have a good time saving the world, or you're just going to depress yourself." - D.B.

David Brower's 1995 novel (part memoir, part essay collection) reflects on his time with the Sierra Club and Friends of the Earth. While I beg to differ on a few points (feminists DO have a sense of humor, thank you) the novel serves as a good reminder as to why protecting wilderness is worthwhile - and vital.
Sherry
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about 20 years ago and it's a book every person should read to remind us of how special our planet is. Browser was a home grown environmentalists and in his view an earth with 500 million people is a sustainable planet. Over that we need to work very hard not to destroy all that is available. Rereading this book renews my goal to live more simply
James Garlits
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, awful formatting

This wonderful book by the Archdruid is marred by the awful formatting. It is like a stack of newspapers left out in the rain. The person who allowed it to be uploaded to Amazon should be stripped and hosed down with ice water.
skye
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This was like having a long random rambling conversation with David Brower. I enjoyed it because I've never read / heard him in his own words, and he is one of the founders of modern environmentalism. He has many great pithy quotes. But they were buried in a lot of disconnected and random discussions. Probably more a fault of the editor / co-author though. Definitely worth a read for people interested in still having an earth around in 50 or so years.
MsBrie
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book that makes a person want to jump out of bed and save the earth. Brower is one of the founding fathers of the environmental movement (up on top with Aldo Leopold and John Muir). In this book Brower reflects on his successes and failures as an environmentalist. He also offers solutions as to how our society can help the earth. This is an easy read and a worthy one. If you’re an environmentalist, looking for some inspiration, check this out.
Scott Bischke
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Though I read this long ago, a bit tough not to give it a 5 when I see a dozen bookmarks of pages with bits of wisdom I wanted to recall. An example:
---
To often in what we do, we fail to consider the two most important things: the cost to the future, and the cost to the Earth. We can be very clever, we humans, but sometimes not so smart.
---pg 16---
Lauren van Vliet
This book is like a Chicken Soup for the Environmental Soul. It heals and invigorates those who may not have known they needed it.

I will come back to Brower's teachings again and again...I should've bought the hard cover!
Karen
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I did learn from this presentation. I did not like how some of the information was handled. I thought the book could have been written more eloquently. Mr. Brower had a lot to offer, but I found the book to be crude and unrefined.
Karen
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
The subtitle: a call to save the earth, gives the best description. As an early environmental leader, the successes and failures of the movement are written to give a guide to what must be done. It is very well written and easier to read and understand than many environmental messages.
Shara
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Powerful, entertaining, engaging and inspiring!
David Abraham
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you don't know this guy, now's the time. He is the most important environmental thinker/doer of the last 3/4 of the 20th century.
Joel
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great history from the founder of the Sierra Club. Instructive to learn about the early roots of one of the world's greatest environmental luminaries.
Kevin M.
Knowledgeable, funny, and well versed. Sometimes, I got lost in the narrative, but he pulled me back again. It took some time to coax the read out of me, but when I did, I was satisfied.
Amanda

• The Autograph Man
  • Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee
  • Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout
  • For colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf
  • Blonde
  • Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #1)
  • A Raisin in the Sun
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Spring Creek
  • Astream: American Writers on Fly Fishing
  • What Trout Want: The Educated Trout and Other Myths
  • GoPro: How To Use The GoPro Hero 5 Black
  • Photography Demystified: Box Set of Volumes 1-3
  • Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature ... America (or at least the Republican Party)
  • Landscape Photography On Location: Travel, Learn, Explore, Shoot
David Ross Brower was a prominent environmentalist and the founder of many environmental organizations, including the Sierra Club Foundation, the John Muir Institute for Environmental Studies, Friends of the Earth (1969), the League of Conservation Voters, Earth Island Institute (1982), North Cascades Conservation Council, and Fate of the Earth Conferences. From 1952 to 1969 he served as the first ...more