Start by marking “Them (Remnants, #3)” as Want to Read:
Them (Remnants, #3)

Them

(Remnants #3)

It is time to confront a strange new reality. Of the eighty people chosen to escape earth's final destruction, only a handful remain. They're all that's left of the human race. They've traveled 500 years into the future, and about as far as possible from the life they once knew. Now, marooned on a strange planet, they break into groups to explore. Jobs's and Mo'Steel's ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Them, please sign up.

Start your review of Them (Remnants, #3)
Mike
This book was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. This is the third book in the Remnants series, and although I enjoyed the first two, I'll confess that I couldn't really get into the story. It just felt like extended exposition, without really focusing on plot. But this is where the series sheds that image. Not a whole lot happens - probably a symptom of the tiny length of these books - but the events that did happen were put to a good and exciting use.

The thing that really stands out to me
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's starting to get really insane.
Julie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is less nightmare fuely than the previous -- mostly because the particular surreal human/animal imagery evoked here doesn't shake me as much as, frankly, anything to do with Tamara. Although that shot of Edward on the cover is horrible, eurgh. I felt bad reading it in public and subjecting the woman beside me to this creepy child staring at her.

What I like about Them is that the worldbuilding questions/mysteries are being addressed at a fairly good pace: you already find out what the
Stephanie
Ah, a cover that makes complete sense, and is book-accurate! (Yes, that’s all I’ll say on that.)

Book 1 was setting up the players, book 2 was setting up the map/game board, and now I would say that book 3 is establishing some of the baseline world background rules as well as the GM – the Game Master – of this world. In that regard, we get a couple of name drops: (view spoiler). Both of whom (which?) are dangled in front of us like a book we want to check out
Kodi Rudman
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it
The book i am reading is called Remnants Them by Katherine Alice Applegate. The genre of the book is science fiction and is one of the best ones i have ever read. I have not been able to get far with it but so far i have been able to find out that the characters have real unusual names like Jobs, Eeyore, Olga, Mo' Steel and a bunch of others. But in the beginning there is a ship like structure in the sky that is broken down. And it has sent things down that are weird in a way. Like Mo' Steel was ...more
Arska-täti
Maailma, jonne ihmiskunnan rippeet ovat päätyneet viisisataa vuotta kestäneen avaruuslentonsa jälkeen, ei ole planeetta ensinkään. He ovat planeetankokoisella aluksella, joka kykenee valmistamaan tarkkoja kopioita ihmisolennoista ja ympäristöistä, paitsi että luomuksista puuttuu jotain olennaista. Selviytyjät alkavat hiljalleen tajuta, että ympäristön luoja haluaa pelata heidän kanssaan tappavan vaarallisia pelejä. Pelejä joiden palkintona on aina joko elämä... tai kuolema.
Caitlin
3.5 stars this time, mostly because the book didn't lodge itself in my conscious memory as much as the first two did. That said, I ripped through this one: the series is really starting to find its legs as far as the worldbuilding and interpersonal dynamics of the Remnants.

If I had to sum up the tone of #3 in a word, that word would be "intense". The Remnants, now divided into two groups, have to deal with both the murderous alien Riders and the surreal landscape the ship has created for them.
Kristin
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
it was good but it was all over the place especially in the beginning. I didn't really know what was going on too much so I was gonna read it for a book report but I couldn't because I couldn't understand it.
Arlenne
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The struggle of power between Yago and 2face is really intriguing. I'm really liking her as character.
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
**spoilers**

I'm this close to knocking this series' score down from a Liked to an Okay, just because of how darned short these books are. While they're YA books, they're about half the length of an average YA book, for no reason I can see (other than to stretch it out and make more money off the series). That annoys me.

Book 1: The Earth was destroyed, the last 80 people, the Remnants of humanity, were sent off into space in hibernation/untested tech.

Book 2: They land on what they assume is a
Julie Decker
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The remaining humans are divided. Even though there are so few of them left who survived Earth's demise, they are fighting among themselves, and Yago--who used to be the president's son--wants to take the fittest as part of his group. He doesn't want anyone who is warped by whatever happened to them in space, so no mutated people allowed. (Even though Edward appears to be developing a useful ability to blend into whatever is behind him.) Tamara's baby is able to fuel its mother and give her an ...more
Wendy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
In this third book of the series the group of survivors sets out to explore the new world they have landed on. Soon after the set out they discover that this is not a planet, but a ship. A ship large enough to hold worlds, that seems to be controlled by a super computer who is using their own data stores from Earth to create an environment for the survivors, based on artwork. But the artwork it chooses is a combination of artists who created paintings of atrocities that only a crazed mind could ...more
Shell Hunt
Copy and paste the two previous book reviews.
Applegate sure has a way with words. They are simply put and so addictive.
In "Them" stuff actually happens. The plot is worked and developed into more than just survivors. Really this series should be like five books and not 14 short stories because this is book three and this is where the plot grows.
By grows, I mean nothing is really resolved in this book. There is only growing tension and a glimmer of why this is happening.
The only thing I have a
Chris
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story really expands in the third installment - introducing motivations from some of the characters we've seen remain largely in the background. The action increases threefold, with Jobs' group facing non-stop threats from the aliens and the environment of the ship itself. When they encounter the palpably disturbing Bosch demons, it's outright chaos, and becomes a real page-turner. Yago and Wylson's struggles for dominance as less interesting in comparison, but it's still obvious the buildup ...more
Christine Koehne
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The last humans alive, sent 5oo years into the future under hibernation, are picked up by an alien ship. Mother, the ship, is confused and attacking them through created life of painting files taken from earth. Blue Meanie, Four Sacred Streams, who wants mother helps the earthlings fight Bosch's Hell creatures. There are Rider aliens with two heads, one a mouth and the other eyes, that ride hover-boards, attacking the last remnants of man-kind.
Z
Dec 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Yes, here is where things start to get really weird. The Remnants find themselves trapped in sick and twisted paintings, and there are aliens chasing them, and the baby is insane. Actually, everyone is a little insane, including 2Face. Surprisingly, though, I found that I enjoyed this a lot more than I did the first time I read it. When you stop being confused by the artificial environment and remember to focus on the people, things work a bit better.
Krystl Louwagie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still good-though plot/action wise, I'd say this book was a bit lower, it kept my attention because of it's use of painting I'm completely familiar with, one that got a lot of attention was one of my favorite paintings (the creepy likes of Bosch!!), so it was really cool to recognize and visualize that so well. Once again, these books have great visuals and I'd love to see them made into movies or a very well done series!
Azri
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The start was a bit rough for me but by the end it was definitely my favorite book in the series thus far. I liked getting to see a bit deeper into the oddities in the story-the baby and Tamara, Billy, the Riders, and the crazy world in which everyone had ended up. I look forward to discovering even more from here onward!

So tired.....I fly out of Japan in about 12 hours. I'm going to miss this crazy place.
Zoe G
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I wasn't a big fan of this book because I didn't like the characters and the mood of the story. For example, when the baby needs to eat a human to survive and they had to sacrifice someone from the group so they all wouldn't have to die. The word choice that the author used was very descriptive and helped me to visualize all of the scenes which i liked.
Trihaly
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The story if finally starting to take shape. We are getting a few answers and a lot more questions. I am still uncertain how I feel about this series but it's certainly raising a few interesting questions and forcing me down some interesting thinking paths. I can't wait to see what else the universe has in store for humanity's last survivors! :)
Jackie Krasuski
The idea behind these books really got my attention because it is life after the end of the world, however after the Animorphs series and Everworld this was quite a letdown. Besides that, the whole end of the world thing is becoming a real redundant theme lately.
Angel
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Do I remember characters and events in the Animorphs being much more described? Such a sci-fi needs much more description to be able to imagine the scene well.
The end was explanation was somewhat good.
Isaac
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant! It finally provides you with some answers, while giving you a few more questions, it is action packed from start to finish and it finishes with a climax worth waiting for.
The end of the world has come... and gone.
I personally can't wait to read more of the series!
Katie
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
This series was written by the same author as the Animorph series, but it didn't live up to par for me. Or maybe I had just gotten to old by the time they came out.
KimberlyDawn
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
So far the series isn't great but IS an easy read & it does hold my attention enough so to continue reading the series. Amazing that-if I am correct- there are 14 books in the series!
Audrey Nguyen
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it-area, mystery
It was amazing i mean i read it so many times!!!!

Read it you will love it <3 :}
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was really good. I can't wait to hear what happens next!
Rohan Goplakrishnan
Oct 18, 2011
Jasper Cohan
Aug 25, 2019
Lasquizzie
May 11, 2016

• Animorphs (Animorphs, #1-54)
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • The Captive Part II / The Power (The Secret Circle, #2-3)
  • The Awakening / The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • The Initiation / The Captive Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • Laurie
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • The Reaction (Animorphs, #12)
  • The Discovery (Animorphs, #20)
  • The Rescue
  • Keeping the Moon
  • Dreamland
  • Someone Like You
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Remnants (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)
  • Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)
  • Nowhere Land (Remnants, #4)
  • Mutation (Remnants, #5)
  • Breakdown (Remnants, #6)
  • Isolation (Remnants, #7)
  • Mother, May I? (Remnants, #8)
  • No Place Like Home (Remnants, #9)
  • Lost and Found (Remnants, #10)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)