Start by marking “The 13 Days of Halloween” as Want to Read:
The 13 Days of Halloween

The 13 Days of Halloween

"On the first day of Halloween my good friend gave to me: a vulture in a dead tree."

Children will love to sing along!

Everyone knows "The Twelve Days of Christmas," but are you ready for The Thirteen Days of Halloween? In this delightfully offbeat story, a dashing ghoul tries to win his ghostly love's heart with heaps of hilarious gifts ranging from broomsticks and bats to
Published September 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The 13 Days of Halloween, please sign up.
Wendy No... this book is so much fun reading/singing to it at the beginning but then the ending throws you off. My girls kept asking me what did he bring?…moreNo... this book is so much fun reading/singing to it at the beginning but then the ending throws you off. My girls kept asking me what did he bring? It was a bit disappointing for us.(less)

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
HALLOWEEN IS ALMOST HERE! Another great book to put you in a SPOOKTACULAR mood for the season!
Katie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, pb-perform
This spooky, silly sing along would be great for a group participation story time.

The ending was a little odd, but you can insert your own joke there.
CILLYart- CILLYart4U
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a delightful, magical book just in time for Halloween! I found this book years ago in the public library when my own 6 children were young! The book had been done with fun illustrations of two witch friends. Though the new illustrations are colorful and delightful in this new rendition of Carol Greene's fun picture book, I miss the depicted end result of the original illustrations.

Over the years, I have "singingly" read this favorite Halloween story to my children, my young students (K -
Elle Markov
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Move over "12 Days of Christmas" and make room for a new instant classic! We all know the song "On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me ..." well in this new reimagined tune, we get an extra day and some nicely wretched gifts to celebrate the most wicked of holidays.

Children love the little monsters and ghouls and the love singing along, even if a little off-key. The language is not difficult so those little ones learning to read on their own can read with little difficulty.

Rating
Angie
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I liked this one and might have to get it for our school collection simply for the illustrations. Little ones are ALWAYS asking me for scary or zombie books ... and this is about as close as we'll get (it's not really scary ;]).

My favorite part is the skeleton poodle with pink puffy hair that is always trying to bite the male ... what is he. Ghoul? Ogre? Green ghost?

Though I have to say the end is a little frustrating. But just a little. And perfect, actually, for lessons on predicting.
Tara Manna
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story! My daughter and I sang this story to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas. Can't get the song out of my head!
Great for beginning readers, repeated text, and great for independent reading! Loved it, definitely worth 5 stars!
Ellen
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found myself singing along to this delightful Hallowe'en version of a favorite Christmas carol, so I bet kids will too! By far though, the best part about this book for me are the illustrations.
Tara
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a Halloween take on "The 12 Days of Christmas." I love the adaptation of the song ("... and a vulture in a dead tree")! The illustrations are fantastic. This book is a Halloween must.
Katie
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I really liked this book but I gave it 5 stars because my kids loved it. My 4 year old son sings it all the time and makes up his own lyrics sometimes too.
Kelly
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable illustrations and written in the 12 Days of Christmas style. Very cute and fun for the spooky season.
Stephanie Guthrie
I loved this book because it reminded me of the 12 days of Christmas sing along! I think it would be an awesome activity for students to sing along and even have a storytelling with it.
Darcy Wishard
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book with beautiful illustrations! A great way to celebrate Halloween for kids...sung to the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas. Funny!
melanie (lit*chick)
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Enter the giveaway tonight (10/21) by midnight here:

Jean Oram
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A fun to read out loud story based on the 12 Days of Christmas. Only it's Halloween and someone is going to get frightened...or not.
Netanella
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great find for a Halloween children's book! The illustrations are awesome, and the sing-a-long words are giggle-worthy. Highly recommended for Halloween-loving families with young kids.
Marci
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My daughter LOVED this book...we read it every day in October and of course to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas. I got pretty sick of it, but luckily her dad never tired of it :)
Rebecca
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny and clever spin-off of the Tweleve days of Christmas. Always a big hit at grade-school Halloween Parties. It simply isn't Halloween if my kids don't beg me to sing it at least 25 times! :)
Rachel Schuller
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
This was a really fun read. I love how it took a familiar song and gave it a new spin on a different holiday.
Amber
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was fun but the ending confused both myself and my kids..we kept looking for the punch line...I must be slow or missing something obvious.
Lydia
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
This is a cute book. It includes the sheet music for the song at the back.
Brea Batten
what the heck did he bring at the end
12 Days of Christmas, Halloween style. This is the best version I've read so far. Lots of repetition and some great illustrations, we'll see how my preschoolers like it for story time.
Andrew
Super cute Halloween version of the 12 Days of Christmas (plus the infamous 13th Day)!

Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1st-grade
While I know my son loves The 12 Days of Christmas, I'm not so sure how this one went over when he read it with my husband. I'm not so much into Halloween, witches, goblins, etc and I know he's as much scared of spiders as I am, so probably not the greatest. The idea of retribution at the end is a little disturbing too. I should definitely pre-read Halloween stories especially from now on, but I'm sure Halloween fanatics would like this one.
Kristina Silverbears
A fun seasonal sing-along for babies. Just bring your A-game, as it's hard to sing the song through toward the thirteenth day of Halloween. The illustrations are cute, but hardly special, and the book's conclusion is weak, though for a song that is expected.
K
The ending stops conforming to the structure of the song. We vastly prefer The Thirteen Hours of Halloween.
Paula
A Halloween version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas," featuring such seasonal gifts as bats, goblins, spiders, worms, and ghosts.
Mariah Christensen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very fun and the pictures made me laugh!
Melissa
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Fun, but thought the ending was weird.
Joy
A very cute rendition of The Twelve Days of Christmas with a Halloween twist. It is also singable.
Has degrees in English Literature and musicology. She has worked in international exchange programs, as an editor, and as a teacher of writing. Lives in Webster Groves, Missouri.