Start by marking “Aristotle in 90 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Aristotle in 90 Minutes

Aristotle in 90 Minutes (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)

Aristotle wrote on everything from the shape of seashells to sterility, from speculations on the nature of the soul to meteorology, poetry and art, and even the interpretation of dreams. Apart from mathematics, he transformed every field of knowledge that he touched. Above all, Aristotle is credited with the founding of logic. When he first divided human knowledge into sep ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Ivan R. Dee Publisher (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Aristotle in 90 Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristotle in 90 Minutes

Joseph
Jun 03, 2016 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Another Audible.com free book from the "Channels" program and another slow day in the shop.

Aristotle is responsible for the beginnings of scientific classifications of plants and animals. He is also known as the father of logic. He is also accidentally created metaphysics. When his works were being put together subjects were recorded as geology and physics. The section after physics was called in "after physics" or in Greek metaphysics. His writings and interest were well rounded and much more d
Latasha
Feb 17, 2016 Latasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Well, I can't say listening to this made me smarter.. This was more an overview of Aristotle's life than anything.
Jim
I expected a quick biography of Aristotle & more about his many thoughts & contributions to the world. There was some personal stuff by Strathern traveling in modern Greece & the biography was longer than I expected, although it was good perspective.

While Aristotle's contributions were covered, they were scattered, although again there was a lot of good perspective on how his works were used throughout history - mostly Christians painting themselves into a corner by making his works
Stinger
Aug 17, 2013 Stinger rated it it was ok
The concept for the basic structure of this book is inviting, giving in short order a synopsis of the life of Aristotle. However, the frequent insertion of the author's opinion prohibited my enjoyment of this read. Throughout the book Strathern reveals his bias against Aristotle's philosophy; one wonders why he wrote this in the first place if not perhaps to complete a part of his "90 Minutes" book series.
Jimmy
Sep 04, 2013 Jimmy added it
A brief summary of Aristotle and goes over more of his biographical information than his beliefs in details—maybe it’s because I thought it was going to concentrate more on Aristotle ideas. In terms of the structure of the book, it seems to be rather all over the place. Today I learned that Aristotle had some issue of pride and didn’t always agree with Plato, his teacher. The most interesting part of the book for me was the chapter on Aristotle’s idea after him—from Aristotle’s influence upon th ...more
Maggie
Dec 19, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
fairly done with less personal opinion inserts (oh how paul strathern loves the term philistine, once in a while in legitimate identification and all other times as a throw away put-down of those he doesn't agree with.)

error suspected when strathern discusses thomas kuhn's paradigm idea and connects it to relative knowledge or no-sure knowledge can be known b/c kuhn, himself, noted that that idea is not what he expressed in his seminal work the structure of scientific revolutions, 3rd edition (d
Anna
Expecting a straight overview of Aristotle's life and writings, I was treated to more of a commentary instead of history. The 3 timelines at the end were the most helpful and maybe would have been better off towards the beginning instead of the very end. In addition, there was a series of Aristotle's quotes from random pieces.
I don't know if I was more annoyed by the obnoxious tone of the reader's voice or the author's extended harangue of his search for the "proper" birthplace of Aristotle whic
Alicia
May 02, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it
A short summary of Aristotle. Good for someone like me since my eyes tend to glaze over when faced with too much philosophy. I mainly listened to this because it is short, I am behind in my reading challenge schedule, and to impress my brother who enjoys books such as these. :)
Kari Olfert
Aug 01, 2016 Kari Olfert rated it really liked it
Aristotle in 90 minutes is exactly that. We get an overview of his childhood, love life and writings with a few key quotes from his philosophies and it ends with a timeline before and after his life to showcase how ahead of his time a lot of his ideas were.
Dennis
Oct 23, 2015 Dennis rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I felt like Strathern shares more about the historical life of Aristotle than what Aristotle actually wrote and philosophized about. But I learned quite a few new things.
Liviu Bogdan
Feb 11, 2013 Liviu Bogdan rated it really liked it
"He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god."
Rob
May 27, 2017 Rob rated it it was ok
For the reader who knows little of Aristotle's life, ideas, and influence, this is a decent introduction. But it's pretty shallow on the ideas. For a better overview of his ideas, try Thomas Stackhouse's contribution to the Giants of Philosophy series.
Maria Beardsley
Jun 14, 2017 Maria Beardsley rated it really liked it
Nice little summary
Realini
Jul 11, 2014 Realini rated it really liked it
Aristotle in Ninety Minutes by Paul Strathern

A High Priest of…Happiness
It may seem preposterous to sum up Aristotle or any other major philosopher in ninety minutes. Perhaps it is.
But for some people, including this reader it may be a way to approach a great mind. I have tried my hand with Aristotle; I think it was Metaphysics –which comes after Physics- when I was about eighteen or twenty.
I found the treatise dry, difficult to approach and incomprehensible. The same thing happened with Kant an
Jimmy
Mar 27, 2011 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Justin Tapp
Oct 21, 2014 Justin Tapp rated it really liked it
This is another in the Strathern series on philosophers. I found this work to be more succinct than the one on Socrates. Strathern gets criticized for leaving too much out, but these books serve their purpose. For me, they give an overview of the philosopher's life, his context, and some of his contributions to later thought and even modern society before I read the subject's work.

Aristotle was a polymath who studied under Plato and developed the formal discipline of logic. Christian apologetics
Judah
Jun 06, 2015 Judah rated it really liked it
Aristotle in 90 Minutes describes the amazing life of philosopher Aristotle and his accomplishments, along with the impact he has on western civilization today. The book starts off with his time spent as a student under the wisdom of Plato, in his late teens. It then goes on about his mentoring of many people, Alexander the Great being one of the more memorable ones. The book talks about his time spent opening schools, time spent with students, and his later life and his death. I found the book ...more
Marie
Nov 08, 2013 Marie rated it it was ok
The only reason why I gave this book 2 stars instead of 1 is because I really was able to read it in 90 minutes as the title promises and it was a quick first acquaintance with Aristotle.

I had a Philosophy exam a couple of weeks ago and I must admit that my college book explains so much more about the Greek philosopher in 20 pages than this book does in 87. Also, I feel like it wanders too much and focuses on his biography, while it misses out on his philosophy, which is, after all, the reason w
Jaime
Feb 02, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I listened to the audiobook, a great way to go in my opinion. It was pleasant to listen to and easy to follow. I was hoping for more of his philosophies than his biography, but really it was great. Perhaps that would have been more difficult to listen to? I feel like I have a basic understanding of who Aristotle is, what his basic ideas revolved around and the influence of his philosophy. Loved the last bit of it where it discussed his influence and also gave some of his quotes.

I will definitel
Kam
Aug 22, 2010 Kam rated it it was ok
An all right beginning on Aristotle but:
I'm finding that his writing isn't coherent all the time. He contradicts himself, or points don't quite follow other points. This is especially frustrating for me as I know relatively little (but my mind works relatively well :-))
maybe because he had to condense it -- but I can't accept this because if you're trying to make something simpler, you should definitely be as clear as possible !
Ci
May 25, 2016 Ci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to-books
I listened the audio version of this very brief book. It is surprisingly useful in distilling the essential biographic details of Aristotle and his major contributions (and distractions in some aspects of science and political philosophy) to modernity. It provides incentive for me to read his ethics and Thomas Aquinas in the formation of Christian orthodoxy through his combination of Aristotelian philosophy and Christian principle.
Timothy McNeil
Strathern goes far too light on Aristotle's philosophy (especially in his giving the barest of lip-service to the Ethics), and still manages to insert himself into the narrative as a guy wandering around, looking for Ancient Stagira.

The weakest of the 90 Minutes books I've seen to date (though this is only the 6th I've read), but it still manages to be somewhat informative.
William O. Perez
A useful introduction to Aristotle

A great introduction to Aristotle, his origins, life and philosophy. I recommend it to those who are starting their journey in the world of Philosophy. I do suggest getting acquainted with Socrates and Plato first of course (the author has primers on then as well).
Beth E
Dec 24, 2012 Beth E rated it liked it
Very interesting discussion of Aristotle, an early student of Plato in ancient Greece and founder of our current view on logic and analysis. He was a prolific writer on a wide range of topics and although studied under Plato, represents his own more moderate thoughts on society, government, politics and the like rather than Plato's far more rigid analysis.
Guilherme Passos
Melhor livro dessa coleção até agora, pelo menos na parte biográfica.

Não imaginava que Aristóteles era um playboy filhinho de médico que depois de umas amizades acabou se tornando um pensador que dá aulas, sensacional!

Agora, a parte que fala sobre seu pensamento, como na maioria dos livros dessa coleção, é bem fraca.
M.
Jan 14, 2016 M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best in this series so far! Strathern includes a little personal memoir element that I felt complimented the text and changed the tone considerably. I wish it was a bit longer, but a really good one!
Derek Neighbors
Jun 22, 2014 Derek Neighbors rated it liked it
Quick introduction to Aristotle. Expected more. Easy for someone not that interested in Philosophy to engage with, but at same time provided limited value because without some depth Aristotle isn't as magnificent as he can be.
Mar 06, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Seems too short to really be called a book - but Paul Strathern's "Philosopher X in 90 Minutes" series is very informative.

Also listened to:
Kant
Plato
Kierkegaard
Nietzsche
Wittgenstein
James Williams
Jan 06, 2015 James Williams rated it liked it
Quick read that provides a well-crafted understanding of Aristotle's origin, training, and thought process. If you love philosophy, it might be too rudimentary for your taste; however, it is a perfect book for individuals with primal knowledge of Aristotle and philosophy.
Eric
Sep 25, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok
I am not sure what made me read this one. Perhaps it was the funny caricature on the cover. HAHA. More I think about it, its kind of obnoxious on the part of the author to think he can give Aristotle the proper respect in 90 minutes.
  • Sartre for Beginners
  • History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science
  • A Brief History of Western Philosophy
  • The Categories
  • Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Averroes on Plato's "Republic"
  • کتاب کوچک فلسفه
  • Boswell's Presumptuous Task: The Making of the Life of Dr. Johnson
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • The Fourth Paradigm: Data-Intensive Scientific Discovery
  • Dangerous Knowledge: Orientalism and Its Discontents
  • Introduction to the History of Christianity
  • Life of Charles Dickens
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume
More about Paul Strathern...

Philosophers in 90 Minutes (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Berkeley in 90 Minutes
  • Bertrand Russell in 90 Minutes  (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)
  • Confucius in 90 Minutes