Start by marking “Your Brain at Work: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long” as Want to Read:

Meet Emily and Paul: The parents of two young children, Emily is the newly promoted VP of marketing at a large corporation while Paul works from home or from clients' offices as an independent IT consultant. Their lives, like all of ours, are filled with a bewildering blizzard of emails, phone calls, yet more emails, meetings, projects, proposals, and plans. Just staying a ...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperBusiness (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Your Brain at Work, please sign up.
Trevor Andrews I have yet to meet a young person that has benefited from taking any drugs. Dopamine is a natural chemical and forcibly introducing more to the brain…moreI have yet to meet a young person that has benefited from taking any drugs. Dopamine is a natural chemical and forcibly introducing more to the brain I would find worrying. I wonder why this young person is on the run and I do not see how it would be of any help.(less)

Jim
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brain-mind
The good news is I'm not Dazed and Confused . It's just my brain being a brain; everyone is in the same boat. David Rock's goal is to help the reader understand the brain's limitations,be mindful of it and act accordingly.

The prefrontal cortex, the Director of the Mind, is limited. It can only hold on to a small number of items for a limited time, gets tired easily, easily distracted, and reacts strongly to even mild threats. This book follows a husband and wife in typical work and family situa
Jeff
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-book-list
Very helpful insights on how the brain works.

Some takeaways:

* Your best-quality thinking lasts for a limited time. The answer is not always to "try harder."

* We have a limited bucket of resources for activities like decision making and impulse control. Make one difficult decision, and the next is more difficult.

* Prioritizing is one of the brain's most energy-hungry processes.

* Picturing something you have not yet seen is going to take a lot of energy and effort. This partially explains why
Shane
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I am currently rereading this (and taking notes), but to be honest, this is probably one of the most important books I have ever read. It explains SO much of how the brain works and interacts with the world and how it is really bad at a great number of things. Thankfully though it also tells you how to trick your brain into working how you want it to. Truly fantastic.
Abo Ahmad
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: إدارة
كلنا ينظر للعالم الخارجيّ وقليلٌ منّا من يعي الحروب التي تجري في الداخل ( يصلح كاقتباس صح؟ ) .
==
هذا الكتاب جميل جداً، وفيه إشارات موجّهة لفهم آلية عمل الدماغ أثناء العمل، والاجتماعات، واللقاءات الخاصة، والضغوط.
يجمع بين علم الأعصاب، والاقتصاد السلوكي، مع مسحة من علم النفس الإيجابي.
الترجمة متوسطة، وفي بعض الفصول سيئة، لكن فكرة الكتاب واضحة!
==
الكتاب مكوّن من 4 فصول، وكل فصل فيها عدد من المشاهد، وفي نهاية كل فصل خلاصة جامعة في عدّة نقاط:
وهذه أبرز أفكار الكتاب:
كلنا نصحو صباحاً لنواجه عالماً مليئاً با
Chris Johnson
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Excellent book that should be required reading for people that work and have a brain, lol. It doesn't read like a self help book, very entertaining and you'll learn a thing or two as well. Highly recommended.
Siddharth
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've read my fair share of books about the brain. Most of them delve into the things you can do to *externally* to allow your brain to function optimally i.e. sleeping habits, eating habits, social relationships etc. This is the first book I've read which deals with meta-cognition on a very real and practical level.

I was a bit skeptical about the format of this book when I started reading it. The examples, in the form of short stories involving certain characters, seemed somewhat contrived and
Jenn
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
By far the most useful book about productivity I've ever read. Taking the whole of neuro-cognitive research to date, he talks about how and why your brain functions (or fails to function) during day-to-day tasks. More importantly, he reveals how you can help your brain out by using it in an efficient way. The information is presented in an engaging way, and all the "secrets" of your brain will ring true with your own experience.

Essential reading for anyone who has a hectic schedule or ever feels
Darren Turpin
Speaking as a layman with not much in the way of previous exposure to the field of neuroscience, but with a general interest in both psychology and behavioural economics, I found this insight into the essential functionality of the brain to be absolutely fascinating.

The author's style is one of engaging narrative. He provides easy-to-identify-with behavioural scenarios to illustrate the central message of the book: namely that everything we do, think and feel is the direct result of neurochemic
Warren
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading "Brain Rules" by John Medina, I was drawn to this book as well to see if I could focus some of my newfound knowledge on my work. While the subject matter of the brain regions and functions wasn't quite as inherently fascinating as Medina's book, it was still compelling in the practical application of this info to work and life. He uses a fictitious couple to demonstrate a typical day and typical scenarios that we all face in one way or another. The first act of each scenario is how ...more
Polaris
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book, for me, is a bit like The Da Vinci Code. And a bit unlike it.

It's like the DVC in that the subject matter is very fascinating, and the basic premise of the book – combining neuroscience with self help – is great. However, it's also bloated, dull, predictable, and at times, downright banal. Your Brain at Work could have been inspiring if the writer hadn't adopted such a patronizing, schoolmasterly tone, if the writer had had more faith in the wit of the reader. As it is, the effect is
Patama
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are 3 Acts (parts) of this book
Act 1: Problem and decision - I feel the strategies and rationals pretty close David Allen's Get thing done ie.
Keep issues from our head or do one thing once a time.
Act 2 and 3 become unique and sticky idea with "SCRAF" - Status, Certainty, Relateness, Autonomy and Fairness.
I have good impression after applying this model for social network.
The character made this book transformative , in my opinion, is "Four Noble Truths (ariyasaj sii)" way of approach.
Clare Cannon
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most brilliant books I've read. I limit myself to one chapter a day so that I can let it all sink in.
Taka
VERY useful--

Though the author seems reductionist in some places, this book delivers. Packed full of useful information about how your brain works and how to use your brain wisely, it's a must-read for anyone who wants to perform better at work, school, or in life in general. In this book you'll learn how to fend off anxiety and negative emotions, be creative on demand, influence others, and much more backed up by neuroscience and told in easy-to-remember story format.

The ARIA model of creativit
Ahmed Taher
This is a life changing book :)
سيغير هذا الكتاب نظرتك لعقلك والطريقة التي يعمل بها عقلك للأبد!
يشرح (د.ديفيد روك) في أربعة عشر فصلاً تحديات يومية يواجها عقل الانسان تحت ضغوطات العمل والحياة، ويحللها من وجهة نظر بيلوجية وسيكلوجية بتبسيط غير مخل، وستدهش وأنت ترى كيف تؤثر المواقف المختلفة على كيمياء المخ وتكتشف الميكانيزمات التي يتبعها المخ ليقوم بوظيفته ويتعامل مع المشاعر والمواقف..
إدراكك لهذه المعلومات العلمية الدقيقة عن مخك سيضعك على طريق تغيير سلوكك وعاداتك وأساليبك اليومية لتغيير حياتك كلها لل
Bjoern Rochel
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, eng-mgmt
My book of the year. Very grounded, informative and tangible. Highly recommended
Andrei Zgirouski
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are books that are well written and the process of reading them is a great pleasure, but they are fiction or just author’s personal opinion. There are also books that provide scientifically reliable information, but they are difficult to read and boring for non-specialists. This book is the golden mean between those two.

The book introduces the reader to the topic of neuroscience.
* How exactly do we solve new difficult tasks?
* How our brain resources are limited during the day?
* What are
Yaroslav Ganin
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be completely honest, I’ve been a bit skeptical about books like this: it’s somewhat weird to think that someone who knows nothing about your life (and doesn’t even interact with you) could bring any insights on how to make it better. Be that as it may, a good friend of mine suggested that it might contain a few interesting and surprising ideas, so I decided to give it a shot.

The book is structured as a narrative about a single day in the life of two characters, Emily and Paul. As you read ab
Cara
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life, brainssss
Ch. 1:
Prefrontal cortex responsible for understanding, deciding, recalling, memorizing, inhibiting (keeping extraneous thoughts out so you can concentrate). It's like a very small stage--you pull things to/from the audience (memory), only a few can fit on stage at a time. It uses a ton of energy, which is a limited resource. That's why it's hard to do serious thinking late in the day. Prioritize first--it's hard.

To make things easier for your brain, don't try to hold ideas in it while doing som
Arthur
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good and useful for business self-help/ pop psych, a genre that often sends me to sleep.

The author carefully explains recent research about the brain and especially the prefrontal cortex, then uses it as a launching point for suggestions about how to work more effectively. Not surprisingly, a lot of it has to do with discarding bad habits that our computers and mobile devices -- and our increasingly intrusive employers -- have lulled us into adopting. This would be dull stuff if not
Peter House
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book five stars because I really, really enjoyed reading it. The language is unsophisticated and the pattern of delivering is predictable. It's almost as if the author knew the optimal way the brain would receive his message. The book focuses on two fictional but very real characters, Paul and Emily, one an IT consultant, the other a recently promoted VP of marketing, and both a couple with two teenage children. You follow them through a variety of scenarios where they make choices o ...more
Iwona
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Genialna książka! Wreszcie można zrozumieć dlaczego działamy tak a nie inaczej, dlaczego pewne rzeczy dzieją się automatycznie i wreszcie dlaczego warto nad tym zapanować. Książka uczy nas naprawdę niezbędnej wiedzy o nas samych, o tym jak działa mózg i jak możemy to jego działanie wykorzystać z korzyścią dla nas, naszego życia osobistego i zawodowego. Po jej przeczytaniu można spojrzeć na siebie nieco przychylniejszym okiem wiedząc, że pewne rzeczy są z góry zdeterminowane. Jednak dodaje ona te ...more
Arlene
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring.

I am sorry but I just could not read past the third chapter. I found it very boring. The episodes between the two characters irked me. I wound up going right to the end of each chapter just to get the summation.
I also felt a lot of what was recommended was basic common sense that people exhibit all the time without requiring the guideposts of neurologists.
Sergei_kalinin
Книга неплохая. Про то, как учитывать физиологические особенности работы мозга для более эффективного саморазвития.

Книга-бестселлер, которую все хвалят, а я вот считаю, что у неё куча минусов :)

см. развернутую рецензию в моем блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2013/06/...
Darian Onaciu
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If your work involves interacting with people you should read this book.
د.أمجد الجنباز
من أجمل الكتب التي تتحدث عن الدماغ وآلية عمله وكيفة استخدام خصائصه لإنجاز الأعمال اليومية بشكل أفضل
Matthew Hodge
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first few chapters were interesting, the last half of the book was gold. Essentially, David Rock details all the things that happen in our brain at work (all based on the latest research about the brain) and comes up with credible explanations not just for why we get distracted and overwhelmed at work but also why our interactions with others can so easily throw us into spaces of threat and fear.

My only question is whether we can simply change these patterns by knowing about them. Would it b
Anssi Koskinen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Erinomaista asiaa aivoista ja niiden kyvyistä käsitellä rinnakkaisia asioita. Kirjassa esitellään vertauskuva aivoista teatterilavana, jossa voi hääriä vain rajattu määrä näyttelijöitä ja niiden järjestely on olennainen osa kuormituksen hallintaa. Helppoa, mutta paikoin toki keskittymistäkin vaativaa kuunneltavaa ja asia sentyyppistä että tekee melkeinpä mieli napata tästä kirja- tai ekirja-versio selailtavaksi.
Buddy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book of 2018!

The metaphor of the brain as a stage and the various trains of thought as actors was entertaining and useful. I enjoyed the scenes portraying how situations went wrong and then the second take after the characters learn how to direct their actors. Highly recommended for anyone who ever feels overwhelmed or has ever been in a conversation that went off track.
Mehdi Hassan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Neurochemistry explained in simple language. Explains the effects of certain chemicals in the brain and its links with emotions and feelings. Many practicable steps on how to regulate inner thoughts and detailed explanations as to why it happens. Yet another enlightening book that digs deep into a most complex machine, which is the human being.
Artur Mydlarz
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Something new in my collection. Definitly I can recommend to anyone who blame himself about fails. Sometimes we do not have even influence on how our brain work and why we make bad decisions... Good to read.

• Now You See It: How the Brain Science of Attention Will Transform the Way We Live, Work, and Learn
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • The Now Habit at Work: Perform Optimally, Maintain Focus, and Ignite Motivation in Yourself and Others
  • Read This Before Our Next Meeting
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better
  • Adapt: Why Success Always Starts with Failure
  • Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals  How to Think Differently
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
“We all often think about what’s easy to think about, rather than what’s right to think about.” 4 likes
“A study done at the University of London found that constant emailing and text-messaging reduces mental capability by an average of ten points on an IQ test. It was five points for women, and fifteen points for men. This effect is similar to missing a night’s sleep. For men, it’s around three times more than the effect of smoking cannabis.” 2 likes