Start by marking “A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions” as Want to Read:
A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
He's as independent as a hog on ice!Where did expressions like this come from anyway?

Now finally we'll know what "letting the cat out of the bag" or "going on a wild-goose chase" refers to. In this fun collection of more than 400 curious expressions and sayings, Dr. Funk explains the meanings that we use in everyday speech without even thinking about it. He has traced them
Published October 1st 2002 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

Peter Pactor
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in words and phrases that have both come and gone in the English language, you will enjoy A Hog On Ice. It is a presentation of once common phrases, what they mean and how and when they were derived. Sometimes the development is theory, sometimes it is factual, but at all times it is interesting.

I feel that A Hog On Ice is not a book you would want to read in one sitting; rather, it is one that you would read a few pages and go on to something else. Then come back later to
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting, although not as much fun as I had expected. Some of the expressions I had never heard, some I only heard my parents and their generation use, some are still commonplace. I did get a bit thrown by the author's references to time periods, because he was born before 1900 and I was reading this after 2000.
Mindy
Jun 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought this would be really interesting, and at first it was. First of all: it rapidly became BORING! This author completely sucked the life and interest out of the subject. In addition, since it was written in 1948, meanings of some of the expressions have actually changed! It felt dated beyond belief.
Thannasset
Aug 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dictionaries
Some of this is overdone, but Funk is very very careful--if he says he knows where a word or phrase came from, he's apt to be able to prove it. Will just say so if he doesn't know or couldn't find out. Some of the expressions he takes the trouble to explain here are completely out of style now, or uncommon even when in use. But very interesting to word-hounds just the same.
Chriss
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Word fans, etymology freaks and anyone who's wondered where that word came from
This is a really fun book. I love Funk’s writing and research so much that I always buy his books when I find them. Most are out of print, though, this book was reprinted in 2002.

My blog has a full review, with excerpts & scans of the illustrations.
Kate
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I haven't actually read this particular book; I just finished the original book (the one published in the 1940's). I somehow stumbled upon it in the library and checked it out. I thought it was very intertwining. I enjoy this kind of off the wall old history. It's definitely a 'just for fun' sort of book & I encourage people to read it as such.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book covers a good number of expressions, many of which I've heard before and others I haven't. There is usually around two expressions on each page. The short explanation covers the meaning of the phrase and, if he knows it, the origin.
Barbara Mader
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not as much fun as I thought it would be--expectations too high. I thought I would learn all sorts of startling or fascinating histories of the sayings, and learn oodles of new colorful phrases, but, well, not really. It was OK.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a guide to all kinds of idioms and their history. There was a whole series, but this was the only one I ever got around to reading.
Cristhian
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
No tengo manera de calificar este libro, pero sí de apreciar lo que aprendí de él.
Sony Esquivel
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book to pick up and read a few pages at a time. I highly recommend this book
Chase