Start by marking “Two Moons in August” as Want to Read:
Two Moons in August

Two Moons in August

A year after her mother's death, sixteen-year-old Sidonie still spends sleepless nights playing cards with her cat, Bogie. During the day she lies around and reads under the nose of her nineteen-year-old sister, Roberta, who angrily scrubs floors that are already clean and cooks meals that are inedible. Their father, a doctor, comes home when he is too exhausted to remain ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Groundwood Books (first published November 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Two Moons in August, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Moons in August

Start your review of Two Moons in August
Rose
I recently re-read this book after many years and it's just as beautifully written and established as I remember it. The story focuses on 16 year old Sidonie as she deals with her mother's death a year after it happens. When Kieran, the nephew of a local doctor, moves into town, she not only finds herself dealing with life together with him, but also falls in love with him.

What made it appeal to me was the way the characters are crafted in such a realistic way, and each of them - particularly
Liz Chapman
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, july-books
I love love love this book. This is one of those books that you have partially memorized because you read it several times a year. A young girl struggles to deal with her mother's death, a family torn apart by it, and young love, all at once. Sounds a little complicated, but it all ties together really well. Powerful and moving story.
Lexidreams
What the book lacked in plot and length was made up for by the descriptions and wonderful atmosphere.

Maybe it's because of this lack of length that I don't feel as connected to these characters as I think I should or maybe it's just Brooks' writing style. Never really giving you a play by play of what's going on but instead leaving you to interpret what's just happened. There are no becauses to explain it to you and somehow it took me even more into the book as I re-read line and line again to
heidi
May 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens/young adult fiction
one of my favorite books from my adolescence. i must have read and reread this a dozen times. great descriptions, interesting plot. enough tear-jerking to make you want to call your mom.
nicole
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
the sort of ya love story i'll always enjoy, no matter how old i am.
Cheese Doodles
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The writing is beautiful. I re-read this every year.
Ann Valdez
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a couple of Martha Brooks books and they were both great. The covers, however, are not great. I wish the publisher had chosen covers which would be more attractive to young people.
C.
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two Moons In August” is about a Manitoban whose Mom died. Familial aggravation doesn’t enthral me but I embraced this as-is. Dissatisfaction is relatable and I value writers whose settings are home-grown. Sidonie, 16, was named from her Mom’s Québécoise background. Her French-speaking Aunts add a great deal of flavour later.

The medical community mirrors Martha’s rearing. Sidonie’s Dad and neighbour are doctors. Her son, Keane arrives from Toronto. Her sister, Roberta returns from university.
Chrissie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Given the title and summary, I thought there'd be more to it regarding the moon(s), but it was nothing more than a brief mention. I suppose that does make for a nice title. Regardless, I found this to be an insightful and intelligently written Young Adult book before that was a full-on, separate genre.

Though it sports a copyright date of 1991 (U.S. edition published in '92), the story is set during the summer of 1959. Brooks really hits home (as far as I can tell) with making the story feel of
Carie
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a coming of age novel (not "that" kind of coming of age novel) about an almost 16 year old Sidonie. The story is quite short - in a good way. The author keeps the plot moving. I like the way it was written. I like the growth of the characters.

But I spent the entire novel trying to figure out what was going on: the characters have the strangest reactions to each other, I couldn't understand why they were acting that way! No one listens to anyone. Each character will talk and the
Kricket
This was one of my favorite books when I was 16 or so; I reread it over and over and intend to read it again soon. I adore the setting (canada, 1950s, in a lakeside town that houses a TB sanatorium) and was half in love with the main character's crush- Kieran, the angry but oh so DUH-REAMY across-the-street neighbor. Rar! Beautifully written.

reread march 2011: this book just gets better with age. as an aside, i was recently digging around in some high school stuff and found a fan fiction poem
Allegra S
Martha Brooks completely transports you to summer in this novel. The setting is summer time and all the elements of a fantastic summer holiday, but the overtone is unfortunatley sad. There is so much happiness and sadness mixed together, it's truly amazing.

The characters are multilayered. I always identified with the main characer because she is trying to navigate the changes of growing older with no real parental influence.

Love this book, it's short and sweet and I and re-read it often.
Mili
May 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, teen
Two Moons in August is a novel set in a small Canadian lakeside town during 1959. The novel is about a 16 year old girl named Sidonie, trying to cope with her mother’s sudden death which in result has left her family torn appart. A father that works too much, her 19 year old sister Roberta who believes she has to take over their mother’s role without any help, and Sidonie to spend lonely nights.

When their neighbors' son arrives, a teenage boy named Kieran, Sidonie finds her life in a never
Kristin
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All time favourite, loved when I was a teenager and still do.
Anjale
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loves it
Christa
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Loved the relationship. Great summer read.
Amy Allred
Read when I was a teenager. I remember liking it, but not much else.
Jenny
Recorded in AR journal.
Jessica
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming of age love story. Dealing with loss and figuring out how to be a family when family has been torn apart.
Michelle
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book in middle school. Still a good read coming back to it.
Becca
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just altogether i loved this book. It was amazing. And i couldn't stop reading it. I don't know how i could ever describe it to someone. They would have to read it for themselves.
Ana
Jun 24, 2008
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2019
Jul 09, 2010
Jill
Jul 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA romance with character called Kieran?? [s] 8 296 Mar 18, 2016 07:36PM

• Finding Grace
  • Inbetween Days
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
  • Triskellion (Triskellion, #1)
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • The Magic Half
  • The Wall and the Wing (Wall and the Wing, #1)
  • The Séance
  • Christine
  • Liv og Alexander
  • Befri dit liv
  • Hjertets renhed (Louise, #3)
  • Nattens kys (Louise, #2)
  • Pige Liv
  • Til sommer (Louise, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn (Erik Menneskesøn #1)
  • Saga från Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #3)
  • Yrsa, Hin Gleymda Drottning Danmerkur
Martha Brooks is an award-winning novelist, playwright and jazz singer whose books have been published in Spain, Italy, Japan, Denmark, England, Germany and Australia, as well as in Canada and the United States. She is a three-time winner of the Canadian Library Association Young Adult Book of the Year, as well as the Ruth Schwartz Award, the Mr. Christie’s Book Award, the Governor General’s ...more