Start by marking “Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian” as Want to Read:
Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian

Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian

Written and designed to reflect the way people read today, this book is structured to quickly impart simple and cost-effective ideas on marketing your library.
Published January 1st 2009 by American Library Association

To ask other readers questions about Bite Sized Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bite Sized Marketing

Start your review of Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian
Beth
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book provides assurance that marketing can be manageable. The best kept secret to success in marketing is to simply try. Word-of-mouth marketing is still very effective and the Internet has helped advertising to be consumer-driven. The key to finding out what will work in the library setting is to find the people of influence to get the rest involved. Incentives for the influencers could be a lollipop or a less than a dollar online song.
There is a wide assortment of tools to inform others.
Tom
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, but I felt like it didn't deliver. Sort of a "Marketing for Librarians" (as opposed to "Marketing for Dummies"), this book can help libraries to better maintain their image and to become more integral parts of their communities though basic marketing strategies. And I give the authors credit for putting together such a basic, yet comprehensive, book on marketing libraries in the digital age. It's hard to nail down tech trends long enough to write about them, bu ...more
Liz De Coster
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Tom
Shelves: lis
A pretty quick and dirty introduction to marketing suggestions (I'd hesitate to call them strategies) for libraries. Does a good job of covering basic marketing concepts and approaches, though I'd argue that the sections on branding and internal marketing (getting staff buy-in) should preface the rest of the book. If your library is just getting started with marketing and outreach, this is a reasonable place to start, especially if you or other staff members aren't familiar/comfortable with "Web ...more
Melissa
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is not a clear, concise plan on how to market on the cheap or market in tiny bites. Most of it is about word of mouth marketing, and while that is important doesn't give a clear picture besides set up booths in the community and talk to people.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm sure this would have been useful when it came out, but overall it has become very dated (Web 2.0?).
Jenny Reibenspies
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Great resource for librarians with practical advice for outreach on a budget. Not worth the $54 price tag to purchase the book. I was expecting more information and resources for that price.
Laura Hanby
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Dated, but still had good advise
Carmyn
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interested in expanding the reach of your library or library programs? Looking for ways to improve your library’s brand or public image? Unsure about how to expand into social networks or how to use online tools? Dowd, Evangeliste, and Silberman have written an easy-to-read, highly accessible book, Bite-Sized Marketing, that provides just that—little morsels of great ideas. They provide just enough to get the creative juices flowing and then they are on to another essential tool in marketing one ...more
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
In their introduction, the authors of Bite Sized Marketing inform us that initially thought they would "be able to produce ten minute marketing solutions for librarians, but the truth is the nothing worthwhile can get done in ten minutes.Instead {they} have created a book with tangible ideas that can be done in bite sized chunks"...each chapter of which reads like it was written in ten minutes.

Based on the title and description of this book, I expected it to contain small, specific suggestions t
Hava
I saw this advertised online so I thought I'd check it out from the library to see if it was worth buying at some point down the road. Verdict: Not really.

I think my problem is, I was wanting marketing on a smaller scale, like Twitter 101 and Facebook 101 or something. Instead, they talk about doing podcasts in here, and what the best type of microphone was to use. I have never even heard of a library doing a podcast, so a whole section on choosing the right type of mic seemed a bit much. I was
Kristin
Picked out this book to research for a paper in library school-- I found it to be a really stand-out work. The author "gets it." Every librarian should read it. It talks about how to market library services to put libraries in the public consciousness in a relevant, modern, and meaningful way. It's also a really small book, short, sweet, readable, and to the point: streamlined, I would say. Even if you're not in a position of power to implement a lot of stuff, this book still gets you thinking a ...more
Angela
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: library staff, programming librarians
Shelves: professional
I recently picked this up while in a funk over better marketing to my teen community. I needed something to reinvigorate my approach, breathe new life into my outreach forays and in essence, make me feel like I had a few tricks to pull out of my hat.

This title does it all and reinforces the belief that you are probably already doing a pretty good job, just need to tweak a little here and there.

The format is quick, fun and easy to digest and search through. Nancy Dowd, Mary Evangeliste and Jona
Cat
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-science
Meh, it was ok. I jotted a few things down but this was nothing revelatory. It mostly touts word of mouth marketing, which is fine, but "make friends with the cool kids" is kind of weak advice. The things I made a note on were the sections where they actually provide tips or suggestions for action - survey questions, story box ideas, podcast equipment recommendations, etc. Otherwise I flipped through it pretty quickly without too much commitment.
Miss Kelly
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I browsed through this book b/c I was unclear on some new marketing terms (branding, guerilla marketing and embracing Web 2.0) WOMM (word-of-mouth is my marketing skill I do well. I am still working on the digital/social networking marketing practices. I learned you can't market in 10 minutes, but you can break ideas down into "bite-sized chunks." "The real secret to marketing? Just try."
Mandie
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarian-books
Great starter book for those (like me) who are looking for ideas on marketing for their library. It doesn't go into great detail on any one subject, but offers great ideas on where to begin. Since the book is a coule years old, not all the websites the authors suggested as aids are current or may not even be still available. Which was disappointing.
Tracey
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Professional development/nonfiction. Quick and dirty overview of marketing techniques, including lots of practical advice on the use of social media and writing press releases/media alerts. Could've used more "best practices" examples, but this will inspire you to look around for more ideas.
Molly
Well, it was a good premise, and I don't have anything against the book. It's just that... it wasn't really anything new. I don't know. I think the problem is that I'm looking for a book to tell me how to make people come to libraries, when I'm not wholly sure that is possible. Shrug.
Angie
I found parts of this book helpful, but a lot of it was pretty general stuff. I was really looking for a lot more detailed information. I can see where others may find this a lot more helpful though. It just wasn't exactly what I needed. Well written though.
Rebecca Waltz
Aug 04, 2010 rated it liked it
View my May 2010 review for EndNotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table (1, 1), available:

Melanie
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A little bit outdated at this point. (Myspace? Really?) But there is some useful info in here.
Lauren
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring for me. Will definitely follow up on some of these ideas. Need to keep up to date with library tech.
Stacy Taylor
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, nonfiction, work
I really just skimmed this. The section on branding was really good. The rest I thought was OK...mostly stuff I already know, but could be useful to beginners.
Angela
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
great information to get your creative juices flowing!
Mollie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read this!
Christina

• Fingersmith
  • Hold My Hand
  • Too Close
  • Experimental Researches in Electricity
  • The Call (The Call, #1)

News & Interviews