Start by marking “Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story” as Want to Read:
Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story

Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story

An idiosyncratic collection of vivid observations, colourful reminiscence and charming digressions, Ant and Dec's book is packed with comical anecdotes, and will give millions of fans an insight into the genuine intimacy and refreshing sense of humour that the two TV icons share. ...more
Published 2009 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Ooh! What a Lovely Pair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ooh! What a Lovely Pair

Start your review of Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
Michelle
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to say that as a big fan of Ant and Dec I couldn't wait to read this however its sat in my kindle for years and the autobiography is now a good few years old and obviously doesn't included the latest goings on. Shame on me as I enjoyed every page of it.

These two are such a big part of British TV culture and I felt like I was on memory lane. From the Grove to Let's Get Ready to Rhumble, to Pop Idol to Saturday Night Takeaway, this book covered it all.

I really liked how it was written. Dec
Bethany
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
AHHHHH! I FREAKING LOVE ANT & DEC!

Now that that's out of my system...

Ant & Dec (formally known as Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly) wrote this autobiography in 2009 to commemorate 20 years together in showbiz and friendship. (Yes, friendship. My mother's already asked twice, and no, they're not gay. :P)

I think what Dec said in an interview on This Morning sums up the core of their relationship pretty well: "...All of our success, and everything that's ever happened to us, has been a byprod
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ant and Dec lovers/fans :P
omg loved it soo much.
i couldnt wait to get my hands on this book and when i did i devowered it. i love ant and dec and have watched them since biker grove and smtv (i think it was called) with wonky donkey :)
i loved that the book had ant in one font and dec in a different type of font, giving both versions of the story before and after they had meet. i found it strange and funny that for how close friends they are now (even living on the same street, with about 1 house inbetween them :D) that w
Anne_Linde
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, what a lovely read!
This is my first autobiography, but to be honest, I think it's not going to get much better than this.
I love how well you get to know these cheeky lads from Newcastle. Reading this book doesn't feel like reading, it feels more like you ran into them in a pub and they decided to tell the story of how they became who (and where) they are today.
The book is brilliantly written and has a very laid-back, 'just having a laugh' feeling. It's like I can imagine them si
Avid Reader
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
I love And and Dec. When I was in Dubai a year ago I had a list of books on the hunt. One of them was this book. I couldn't believe my luck when I actually found it.

If you are a fan you will love this book. I don't believe nonfans will like it. Not that the book isn't funny or interesting, but it is Ant and Dec's autobiography after all.

I had so much fun reading this book. It is like you are in a room with Ant and Dec and you are listening to them reminiscing about the old days and having the
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really fun look at the career of one of Britain's most loved double acts.
The book reads like a conversation between the pair on tv, plenty of banter between the two as they reminisce and wind each other up the way good friends can. It took a little while to get used to who was writing which part but once it sank in I flew through the book.
I've read complaints that they don't slag off people they've not liked over the years. I just got the impression it isn't Ant & Dec's style and I have huge
Mark
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
An autobiography of a double-act, told by them both in such a way (italics and bold typeface) that makes perfect sense once you get used to it. I have to admit, I didn’t become aware of Ant & Dec until well after Byker Grove but associated them with “Get Ready To Rhumble” for longer than I perhaps should have. They come across well in this, though in playing up their “we’re normal blokes us and like to get drunk”, this tends to gloss over the effort they must have put in to get themselves where ...more
Angie Beckett
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not much of an autobiography reader normally, but, like most of the population of the UK, I love Ant and Dec so couldn't resist!
They've led a mostly happy life, so this is an uplifting read with lots of jokes (some a bit corny and dad-like, but that's part of their charm!) and you don't have to worry about it being hard to read, even the bad things that have happened to them they don't really go into too much, such as the death of Ants grandma or the break up of Decs relationship, they cove
Maria Teresa Zumbo
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
This book was exactly what I thought it would be.
It was funny, cheeky and entertaining.
I love the fact that it was written four handed, almost like a conversation between them. That from start to finish there’s not one point of the book that felt boring to me.
It was interesting to follow their steps from kids to wannabe pop stars, to TV presenters, but to me the most appealing part was to see them create a unique and rare friendship.
This is Ant and Dec, pure and simple. Every tale is filled wit
Hannah Reed
I really like Ant and Dec from watching them on TV, so I was keen to read this and learn more about them as I do with any 'famous' person I'm suddenly interested in.

For the most part I really enjoyed this book, it was definitely filled with humor and anecdotes, but what I really appreciated about it was that when they did speak about something that was slightly more serious they did it in a way that didn't make me feel too sad or bring the mood of the book down like I feel a lot of autobiograph
Samantha Neal
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely what a lovely pair indeed.
Five star for the laughs
I couldn't help laughing no matter how many times I have read this book.
I grew up watching Ant and Dec and I didn't know they were called PJ and Duncan.
How you would know that which one is Ant and Which one is Dec in the book is by who has the bold and the fine.
But reading this book I did find some bits that were shocking. But at least things did go well.
This book is really extraordinary to read and anyone that loves Ant and Dec would
Mona
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved the boys since I was 15 (now I'm 35) and my love for them hasn't changed a bit. I loved to read their history from their point of view and in their own hilarious words. I've read other biographys about them, but this one is the best, because I can hear their voices in my head while reading. As always, they make me smile big time. ...more
Kbrown
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always loved Ant and Dec especially because I’m from the North East and of a similar age. Always loved Dec but I found his sections hard to read- over exaggerated no natural flow. While I laughed out loud at Ants parts which made me like him more.
Shayla
4.5 stars!
Absolutely hilarious, I love Ant & Dec!!
They define bromance goals!! 😊
tracy alexander
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Fab book, have grown up with them what a lovely pair! Heartwarming and an easy enjoyable read x x x
CJ Ross
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring read... great tracker of their journey interesting and funny
Samantha
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Ant and Dec since i was six years old way back since they were in biker grove 😂🙈.
Kimberley
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aty-2020
This book came out in 2009...over ten years ago! It must have been given to me brand new and has then just sat on my shelves ever since. I decided this is finally the year that I try and tackle some of my backlist (especially since it is now getting embarrassing)

In this book we follow the story of Ant & Dec (the British TV presenters) from their childhoods to (their) present day (2009). We learn about how difficult it was in the music industry, the various gigs they had to perform and how they f
Nichola
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have owned this book for probably over a decade and the release of Ant & Decs new book made me think I need to read their first one and I'm so glad I did. It was so genuine and interesting to see where they started out and even on paper they come across as just two normal lads. Loved the way they both have their own input and reflect back over the years. It's made me want to read their new book even more! ...more
Lord Bobby
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this book . I know things has changed since the book came out. With what happened to Ant life . You can see why Dec stood by his friend has they got a great friendship. if they ever do another book I look forward to it has it be picking up where they left off . What you see on the tv is what you get in this book . I been big fan of there since the Byker Grove days .
Delia Powell
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Very good, funny. It kind of felt like they were just sitting chatting with you. I recommended it to people before I was even a quarter of the way through it. Of course this book is 11 years old so hopefully they will do another one to catch us up on the rest. A very good read. Love Ant and Dec, they have a beautiful friendship.
Debbie Blackham
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Felt like a change from the usual thrillers and romance books I read. I like Ant and Dec I enjoy Saturday night takeaway. The book is interesting, lots of facts and detail and told in a open honest way. Funny to read now as it’s about ten years old and obviously their lives have massively changed since then but still an interesting insight in to their lives and climb to fame.
Inge Hulsker
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Nice insight in how Ant and Dec met and how they work. Nice format, they each write a paragraph and respond to each other. It reads as if you hear them talk to each other. A great mix of the projects they've worked on and their personal lives.
This book was published in 2009, so there's a lot more story by now. Can't wait to read the upcoming book (sept 2020).
Zoe M
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a book about Ant and Dec, what's not to love about it!!!

It's what you would expect, funny, sad and a great insight into their lives. I like how the book was written with a different typeset for them both so you could tell who was saying what.

The book is a must read for anyone who likes Ant and Dec
Laurence
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This has been sat on my shelf for years - and I’ve finally got round to reading it! I enjoyed it: the stories were interesting and the honesty stood out, but there were too many forced jokes that weren’t funny which spoilt it a little. I’m still a big fan though!
Georgina Wyatt
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that's been sat on my kindle for ages and I havent got round to reading until now and I'm wondering why I left it soo long.
I loved how the fonts distinguished who was "talking" and how you could so clearly see how strong their friendship is.
Brilliant book!
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved these two growing up still do. True friends to the end.
Chloe Mogg
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute joy to read! Had me in stitches.
Leez
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is side splittingly funny. Throughout your can hear the voices and imagine them telling this directly to you. Highly recommended.
Sherilyn
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, owned
Sometimes it was hard to follow this book since it was written as 2 people, but I enjoyed learning more about their early careers
« previous 1 3 next »

• Once Upon A Tyne: Our Story Celebrating 30 Years Together on Telly
  • Life & Laughing: My Story
  • The Sound of Laughter
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?
  • Sh**ged. Married. Annoyed.
  • Life's What You Make It
  • Is It Just Me?
  • Being Jordan: My Autobiography
  • The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and a 50 Year Search
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
Anthony David "Ant" McPartlin OBE (born 18 November 1975) is a British television presenter, TV producer, singer, comedian and actor. He is best known for working alongside Declan Donnelly as part of the presenting duo Ant & Dec. McPartlin came to prominence, alongside Donnelly, in the children's drama series Byker Grove, with both of the boys establishing successful careers as television presente ...more

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...