Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know” as Want to Read:
Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  698 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Start with No offers a contrarian, counterintuitive system for negotiating any kind of deal in any kind of situation--the purchase of a new house, a multimillion-dollar business deal, or where to take the kids for dinner.

Think a win-win solution is the best way to make the deal? Think again.

For years now, win-win has been the paradigm for business negotiation. But today,
Hardcover, 288 pages
Published July 9th 2002 by Crown Business
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Start with No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start with No

Doctor No by Ian FlemingAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthyA Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
Just Say No!
104 books — 28 voters
Start with No by Jim CampNever Split the Difference by Chris Voss
2 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
Иван Ермолин
Короткий конспект книги Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет»

Ко мне обратились клиенты с просьбой провести обучение продажников методикам, описанным в книге Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет». Типичная ситуация, когда клиенты хотят внедрить у себя «брэндованные» технологии. Большинство присутствующих на рынке программ обучения, в той или иной степени, являются калькированием книг известных авторов.

Кто-то указывает источники, большинство - нет. Эта книга известна мне давно, и была в сво
Ispirian Hovhannes
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Всю книгу автор говорит о своей системе, но видимо он плохо понимает, что такое система, ибо никакой критики структура книги не выдерживает. В итоге все сводится к набору не всегда однозначных советов, которых сам автор насчитал аж 33 штуки! Для себя я вынес 11 интересных мыслей, с которыми планирую работать дальше.

1) Самая слабая позиция в любых переговорах - быть в нужде. Никогда не показывай свою нужду, а лучше вообще не испытывай нужду в принципе.
Не бойся получить отказ. Когда лев охотится з
Федор Кривов
Как участник переговоров, вы обязаны понимать важность этого принципа. Вы НЕ нуждаетесь в этой сделке, потому что нуждаться, испытывать нужду – значит потерять контроль и начать принимать неудачные решения.
Тот, кто пытается дурачить других, не одурачит никого, кроме самого себя.
В Японии, где переговоры почитают как вид национального искусства, говорят, что все решения нужно принимать животом – харой, – но не головой и не сердцем. Я абсолютно согласен с тем, что решения начинаются здесь. Мы прин
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Sound and logical advice. I appreciated the author's perspective that you gain an edge in negotiations not by focusing on scheming (which generally carries negative connotations), but by understanding where your adversary is coming from; what is in their best interest and your best interest, and how to present the best possible case for what you want to happen. I also really appreciated his focus on honesty--being honest with yourself about what your goals are, being honest with your adversaries ...more
Viktor Zakharchenko
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Неоднозначные впечатления. С одной стороны - Кемп в пух и прах разносит стратегию вин-вин. За одно это книгу стоит прочесть. С другой - все советы выглядят так, как будто вы ведете переговоры с идиотами, которые не могут прочуствовать ваших уловок и манипуляций. Понятие "сильный переговорщик" в книге скорее представлено как "хитрый переговорщик". Лично я знак равенства ставить отказываюсь.
Andrey T
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall great insights, but they are few and far between in a sea of fluff. Parts are confusing, not elaborated adequately, or are self-contradicting. Way too many obscure sports references. Also many of the real-world examples sound contrived and even fictitious, no obvious reason why the author chose to obscure real companies.
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: talks, business
Если вы желаете стать профессиональным и даже хардкор переговорщиком, или же не быть "съеденным" таким же на переговорах значит "Сначала скажите НЕТ" должна быть "must read" для вас!

После прочтения таких книг по переговорам как "Договориться можно обо всем!" Гевина Кеннеди ( и "Переговоры, которые работают" Стюарта Даймонда ( уже не думал, что меня может существенно удивить какая либо другая книга из серии искусств
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would love to read more negotiating books, but I really did not like his voice and just couldn't get through this.
Vladimir Tsebenko
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Дополнение книги Гэвина Кеннеди.

- отбросить эмоции "необходимости" и т.д.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went in expecting typical sales and negotiation nonsense, but I was really surprised. The so-called "Camp System" doesn't preach pushy sales tactics, it suggests that honesty and management of expectations (among other techniques) are the best way to close sales. Sales and negotiations have always been tough for me—always wary of disappointing anyone or putting anyone off—but this feels like a system I could implement. The book makes it crystal clear that negotiations need to work for everyone ...more
Nastya Khyzhniak
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many negotiation books, to be completely honest. Thus, I don't have any examples to compare "Start with No" to. However, listening to it has been a very educational experience - every chapter I had at least one eye-opening moment. While I was listening to it, I was following several negotiations on different subjects with different parties involved and imagine my surprise when the mistakes made by participants were exactly the ones Jim Camp describes in his book. I definitely recomm ...more
Taya Sokolova
За обедом дочитала книгу Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет». Много хвалебных отзывов читала, но это такая скукота. Вся книга держится на нескольких тезисов, которыми можно было ограничиться:
— Не бойся говорить нет. А лучше начинай с этого переговоры.
— Поощряй других говорить нет.
— Не позволяй себе испытывать нужду при переговорах.
— Увеличивай бюджет противника в переговорах, так он будет больше ценить ваше предложение.
Зачем это было растягивать на 250 страниц не понимаю.
Josh Rensch
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great inverse thinking to Negotation

I read this after Never Split the Difference and that sent the stage for me reading this book. A lot of the counter-intuitive approaches were out lined in that book first. But both support and augment each other. I like his idea about the rule of 3 and living in the adversary's world.
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Хотел прочитать одну книгу по переговорам, но лучшую. Куча рекомендаций и вот я ее прочел. Это шикарно. Не просто книга, а пособие по тому, чем заниматься дальше всю жизнь — практиковаться в общении и переговорах! Перестаньте думать о результате переговоров, который не можете контролировать, и сосредоточьтесь на своем поведении, которое контролировать можете.
Буду рекомендовать книгу всем.
Nodir Khalilov
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Я без сомнения рекомендую абсолютно всем прочитать эту книгу. Ведь переговоры мы ведем постоянно, вне зависимости от того, хотим ли мы заключить многомилионный контракт или получить на завтрак блины вместо омлета. Так что давайте самосовершенствоваться!
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Sound collection of ideas, but examples and methodology could be explained better. Many interactions that illustrate the book come as manipulative which works against the advice presented.
Iron Ic
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good for practice in life & business.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some non standard views. Hates power points. Talks about process, which makes sense.
Mary Kinietz
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great advice.
Academic Eric
On the cover of the copy I checked out from the library, the subtitle reads: America's Number One Negotiating Coach Explains Why Win-Win Is An Ineffective, Often Disastrous Strategy, and How You Can Beat It.

On page one, this author titles his introduction: Win-Win Will Kill Your Deal.

Underneath that title, he writes, amongst other things, "It all sounds so good, what stick-in-the-mud could possibly disagree that win-win is the model to use in negotiation? Well, I disagree. Based on my nearly twe
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
“То, чем вы действительно можете управлять, — ваши собственные поведение и действия, а то, чем не можете, — их результат.”

“Мы чувствуем себя свободно и уверенно, когда видим человека, не соответствующего важным для нас критериям.”

“мудрый участник переговоров знает, что только один человек на переговорах может чувствовать себя «в порядке». Этот человек — его противник.”

“Несомненно, вы замечали, что хороший оратор или тренер в первые несколько минут своего выступления часто рассказывает какую-нибу
Craig Leon Miller
Some fascinating stuff

Feels like advice from an old pro. Some very interesting and contrarian strategies. Feel like I need to re-read to absorb the concepts better.
Ilya Kalimulin, PhD
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Неожиданно интересная книга. Я всегда думал, что переговоры, это нечто неприятное, нудное и тупое. Теперь я так не думаю. Неожиданным стало то, что в книге о переговорах, рассказывается о самоорганизации, принятии решений и важности высокой самооценки. Больше всего удивился подробному описанию, как нужно принимать решения. До этого у меня около года вертелся осознанный вопрос, как же принимать решения. Я спрашивал знакомых людей, задавал вопросы, искал в литературе. Ещё больше этот вопрос висел ...more
Maxim Wegner
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading.

Biggest takeaways:

- your clients, business partners aren't your friends and you shouldn't treat them as such. Only efficiency and results count. Seems super obvious and it is, but only after re-reading it and discussing the matter with a friend who has recommended this book to me, it became crystal-clear what this actually means for my life and business.
- work on your position: don't start negotiations without a clear vision of your clients' pain and a strong position on how t
William Chase
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone can benefit from this book, even though it targets business people. His other book, "No: The Only Negotiation System YOu Need for Work and Home", has a broader focus. Jim's system is introduced Start With No, and when operated by someone who has mastered it, any and all problems that arise in negotiations become solveable. The book doesn't make you a master, but the smart reader will see it is a perfect introduction to a topic that impacts us all. Anyone who is concerned they are leavin ...more
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is one of the best books I have ever read. The skill of negotiation is used by everyone everyday but without thinking. This leads to a lot of things happening to us rather than because of us. The ideas in this book can be used everyday and are very practical. This first book by Mr. Camp is perhaps less slickly written than the second, he goes into depth whereas his second book is better edited. I have read both and recommend both.

He has been featured at Harvard and on more television shows
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, negotiation
The premise of Jim Camp's book is simple: The classic win-win style of negotiation is not all it's cracked up to be. In fact, Camp believes that good negotiating starts with "no."

In other words, "yes" is often a meaningless answer that hides objections, and "maybe" is worst of all. But if you say "no" or get a "no," this provides an opportunity for one party or the other to clarify what they really want out of the deal.

Camp walks through his entire system of negotiation, which goes far beyond th
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Искусство переговоров кому-то даётся легко, кому-то нет. Для второй группы данная книга даст чётко понять что делать стоит, а чего нет. Автор чётко объясняет как надо вести переговоры, как понимать оппонента, к чему стремиться, что можно жертвовать, а чего делать ни в коем случае не стоит. В общем, данная книга даёт основательное общее понимание процесса переговоров.
Emanuele Torre
Sep 03, 2011 is currently reading it
Enjoying it for now.
A lot of "make-sense" takeaways which are good to refresh every now and then.

Nevertheless I agree with those who took distance form the examples. Real world situations might vary a lot from those described in the book for context and complexity, and the examples should be intended as pedagogic tools for the reader.

Overhall an interesting book so far.
Steve Thomasma

I loved this book. It is very similar to Sandler Sales. There is very practical advice and scripts you can use. The reason I did not give it 5 stars is because it jumped all over the place. it may have been helpful to have a negotiation from start to finish so this could be systematics. Still a very good book and worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Everything Is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Street Smarts: An All-Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs
  • Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help––or Hurt––How You Lead
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Business for Punks: Start Your Business Revolution – the BrewDog Way
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • Managing Corporate Lifecycles: How to Get to and Stay at the Top
  • Call to Action: Secret Formulas to Improve Online Results
  • What You Need to Know about Project Management
  • A Designer's Research Manual: Succeed in Design by Knowing Your Clients and What They Really Need
  • The Art of Significance: Achieving the Level Beyond Success
  • Ziglar on Selling
  • Instant Rapport

Nonfiction Deals

  • Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival
    $8.24 $1.99
  • A Secret Sisterhood: The Literary Friendships of Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, George Eliot, and Virginia Woolf
    $27.00 $2.99
  • Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Room of One's Own
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Life in a Medieval City
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Too Close to Me: The Middle-Aged Consequences of Revealing A Child Called "It"
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Creation of Anne Boleyn: A New Look at England's Most Notorious Queen
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Inside the Criminal Mind: Revised and Updated Edition
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
    $13.99 $2.99
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Social: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Connect
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Countdown to Zero Day: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World's First Digital Weapon
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99
  • The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Skin: Talking about Sex, Class, and Literature
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Your Erroneous Zones
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Figures
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99