Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know” as Want to Read:
Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  937 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Start with No offers a contrarian, counterintuitive system for negotiating any kind of deal in any kind of situation--the purchase of a new house, a multimillion-dollar business deal, or where to take the kids for dinner.

Think a win-win solution is the best way to make the deal? Think again.

For years now, win-win has been the paradigm for business negotiation. But today,
...more
Hardcover, 288 pages
Published July 9th 2002 by Crown Business
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Start with No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start with No

And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieDoctor No by Ian FlemingAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthyA Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
Just Say No!
108 books — 31 voters
Never Split the Difference by Chris VossStart with No by Jim CampBeyond Winning by Robert Mnookin
Negotiating
3 books — 2 voters


More lists with this book...

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
4.11  · 
Rating details
 ·  937 ratings  ·  71 reviews


Filter
 | 
Sort order
Иван Ермолин
Конспект-анализ
Короткий конспект книги Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет»

Ко мне обратились клиенты с просьбой провести обучение продажников методикам, описанным в книге Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет». Типичная ситуация, когда клиенты хотят внедрить у себя «брэндованные» технологии. Большинство присутствующих на рынке программ обучения, в той или иной степени, являются калькированием книг известных авторов.

Кто-то указывает источники, большинство - нет. Эта книга известна мне давно, и была в сво
...more
Ispirian Hovhannes
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Всю книгу автор говорит о своей системе, но видимо он плохо понимает, что такое система, ибо никакой критики структура книги не выдерживает. В итоге все сводится к набору не всегда однозначных советов, которых сам автор насчитал аж 33 штуки! Для себя я вынес 11 интересных мыслей, с которыми планирую работать дальше.

1) Самая слабая позиция в любых переговорах - быть в нужде. Никогда не показывай свою нужду, а лучше вообще не испытывай нужду в принципе.
Не бойся получить отказ. Когда лев охотится з
...more
Федор Кривов
Как участник переговоров, вы обязаны понимать важность этого принципа. Вы НЕ нуждаетесь в этой сделке, потому что нуждаться, испытывать нужду – значит потерять контроль и начать принимать неудачные решения.
Тот, кто пытается дурачить других, не одурачит никого, кроме самого себя.
В Японии, где переговоры почитают как вид национального искусства, говорят, что все решения нужно принимать животом – харой, – но не головой и не сердцем. Я абсолютно согласен с тем, что решения начинаются здесь. Мы прин
...more
Erin
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Sound and logical advice. I appreciated the author's perspective that you gain an edge in negotiations not by focusing on scheming (which generally carries negative connotations), but by understanding where your adversary is coming from; what is in their best interest and your best interest, and how to present the best possible case for what you want to happen. I also really appreciated his focus on honesty--being honest with yourself about what your goals are, being honest with your adversaries ...more
Andrey T
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall great insights, but they are few and far between in a sea of fluff. Parts are confusing, not elaborated adequately, or are self-contradicting. Way too many obscure sports references. Also many of the real-world examples sound contrived and even fictitious, no obvious reason why the author chose to obscure real companies.
TarasProkopyuk
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, talks
Если вы желаете стать профессиональным и даже хардкор переговорщиком, или же не быть "съеденным" таким же на переговорах значит "Сначала скажите НЕТ" должна быть "must read" для вас!

После прочтения таких книг по переговорам как "Договориться можно обо всем!" Гевина Кеннеди (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) и "Переговоры, которые работают" Стюарта Даймонда (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) уже не думал, что меня может существенно удивить какая либо другая книга из серии искусств
...more
Nastya Khyzhniak
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many negotiation books, to be completely honest. Thus, I don't have any examples to compare "Start with No" to. However, listening to it has been a very educational experience - every chapter I had at least one eye-opening moment. While I was listening to it, I was following several negotiations on different subjects with different parties involved and imagine my surprise when the mistakes made by participants were exactly the ones Jim Camp describes in his book. I definitely recomm ...more
Viktor Zakharchenko
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Неоднозначные впечатления. С одной стороны - Кемп в пух и прах разносит стратегию вин-вин. За одно это книгу стоит прочесть. С другой - все советы выглядят так, как будто вы ведете переговоры с идиотами, которые не могут прочуствовать ваших уловок и манипуляций. Понятие "сильный переговорщик" в книге скорее представлено как "хитрый переговорщик". Лично я знак равенства ставить отказываюсь.
Josh Rensch
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great inverse thinking to Negotation

I read this after Never Split the Difference and that sent the stage for me reading this book. A lot of the counter-intuitive approaches were out lined in that book first. But both support and augment each other. I like his idea about the rule of 3 and living in the adversary's world.
Paul LaFontaine
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are taught by conventional wisdom and a large number of books on negotation to get the client to "yes." Jim Camp proposes we do the opposite. By getting the client to say "no" we find their limits, and we open a conversation about further possibilities. In addition to this, we should always have a plan and never demonstrate neediness.

I first read this book back in 2013 when I was negotiating M&A deals and loved it. I returned to it recently and still think it excellent work.

Highly recom
...more
Mugizi Rwebangira
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought it was just OK.

Didn't really seem to say too much that was original.

The main contribution is that you should be willing to state your demands up front and ENCOURAGE the other side to say "NO" if they can't deal with them.

The idea is that this will prevent you from making unnecessary compromises.

He also advocates that you should not get emotionally involved and you shouldn't go in with any expectations. Not bad ideas, but not terribly original either.

Here are a couple of books on the sa
...more
Jessica Faust
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would love to read more negotiating books, but I really did not like his voice and just couldn't get through this.
Vladimir Tsebenko
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Рус.

Дополнение книги Гэвина Кеннеди.

- отбросить эмоции "необходимости" и т.д.
(a)lyss(a)
"Only "no" tells you something real, gives you something to go on with your nextquestion."

This book was recommended to me so I figured I'd check it out.

I think I get what this book is saying, no is a full sentence and a final answer and it's a helpful way to work with the person you're negotiating with to get a yes if you have a better idea of what they're looking for and you know how to get there. But some of the examples are convoluted and there seems to be a lot of jumping around. I was hopi
...more
Aynur
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#ячитала

По началу книга мне понравилась и кусками она была интересной, а потом мне стало скучно. Меня она особо не удивила и многому не научила, но думаю новичкам, которые дико боятся переговоров, она может круто помочь!

Мой любимый отрывок:
"Нуждающийся человек теряет контроль и начинает принимать неудачные решения. Хотеть — прекрасно. Нуждаться — нет! Поменяйте «мне надо» на «я хочу». Нужда может проявляться по-разному: в подобострастном приветствии, в высоком и пронзительном голосе, когда пер
...more
Chris
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went in expecting typical sales and negotiation nonsense, but I was really surprised. The so-called "Camp System" doesn't preach pushy sales tactics, it suggests that honesty and management of expectations (among other techniques) are the best way to close sales. Sales and negotiations have always been tough for me—always wary of disappointing anyone or putting anyone off—but this feels like a system I could implement. The book makes it crystal clear that negotiations need to work for everyone ...more
Luca Marchesotti
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, super concise and dense of recommendations, gems and lessons learned. If you put into practise 10% of what is shared in this book, you are already doing great in negotiations ;)

The book is actually full of examples and real world scenarios so the concepts preached in here can actually relate to what you are doing. I ll keep getting back to this book in the future I guess, one of those you want on your desk open all the time.
Taya Sokolova
За обедом дочитала книгу Джима Кэмпа «Сначала скажите нет». Много хвалебных отзывов читала, но это такая скукота. Вся книга держится на нескольких тезисов, которыми можно было ограничиться:
— Не бойся говорить нет. А лучше начинай с этого переговоры.
— Поощряй других говорить нет.
— Не позволяй себе испытывать нужду при переговорах.
— Увеличивай бюджет противника в переговорах, так он будет больше ценить ваше предложение.
Зачем это было растягивать на 250 страниц не понимаю.
Anton Shayakhov
— Здрасити, сейчас я расскажу вам систему ведения переговоров.
Но для начала послушайте 1488 историй из других бизнесов, которые притянуты за уши к конкретному правилу переговоров. А еще послушайте 1488 выдуманных историй (это потому что я реальные примеры не нашел).

Всё, теперь вы умеете вести переговоры!

— Пждите, а где система-то?

— НЕТ
Yana Milenkova
Mar 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
What a waste of time!
Труд объемом 270 страниц, а полезной информации от силы на 2-3, поразительное количество «воды». Если вырезать 80% текста, ровным счётом ничего не изменится. В книге изложены абсолютно базовые принципы любых переговоров, и, на мой взгляд, деловому сообществу они известны и её без прочтения.
Stavrogin
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Хотел прочитать одну книгу по переговорам, но лучшую. Куча рекомендаций и вот я ее прочел. Это шикарно. Не просто книга, а пособие по тому, чем заниматься дальше всю жизнь — практиковаться в общении и переговорах! Перестаньте думать о результате переговоров, который не можете контролировать, и сосредоточьтесь на своем поведении, которое контролировать можете.
Буду рекомендовать книгу всем.
Pavel Starozhuk
Ценными в книге для меня оказались лишь описания некоторых методов и приёмов, которые полезно попробовать при переговорах. Но это всего ~30% книги.

Остальная её часть — самолюбование автора, не особо полезные примеры из личной жизни или мира «многомиллионных сделок».
Jason
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book, it took me 5 days to get through it (I have a day job) and I took notes. I’m going to immediately read it again. I wish I could give it 6 Stars. Why isn’t there an audio version of this? Criminal.
Stef
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gives you an interesting insight in better negotiating: focus on the world of your adversary. Some other interesting tips i'll remember: always have a mission and purpose, never start a negotiation without an agenda, you don't 'need' it, you 'want' it.
Nodir Khalilov
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Я без сомнения рекомендую абсолютно всем прочитать эту книгу. Ведь переговоры мы ведем постоянно, вне зависимости от того, хотим ли мы заключить многомилионный контракт или получить на завтрак блины вместо омлета. Так что давайте самосовершенствоваться!
Peter Nelson
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic non-traditional view at negotiating that challenges your preconceptions. When you are looking to sharpen your game, isnt an alrernate perspective exactly what we need? Smooth conversational writing style~
Glenn Burnside
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty Three points to help you get past win-win

This overlaps a lot with Sandler selling techniques that I learned years ago. Framed in terms of negotiating vs selling - but in consulting, those two are almost always the same thing.
Bryan Alkire
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative food for thought
Bryce Kemmerer
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contrarian Advice That Delivers!

I really enjoyed this book and will re-visit the principles and ideas imparted therein when the occasion arises to do so! Which is all the time!
Alexey
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Очень полезная книга. Не стоит воспринимать ее слишком категорично. Главное — это понять основной смысл, который пытается донести автор.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Everything Is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
  • You Are a Brand!: How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success
  • Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Managing Corporate Lifecycles: How to Get to and Stay at the Top
  • A Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • И ботаники делают бизнес
  • Customers for Life: How to Turn That One-Time Buyer Into a Lifetime Customer
  • Presentation Secrets: Do What You Never Thought Possible with Your Presentations
  • Harvard Business Review on Entrepreneurship
  • Instant Rapport
  • Email Persuasion: Captivate and Engage Your Audience, Build Authority and Generate More Sales With Email Marketing
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help - Or Hurt - How You Lead
  • Love's Hidden Symmetry: What Makes Love Work in Relationships