Start by marking “The Secret of Mirror Bay (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #49)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Mirror Bay (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #49)

The Secret of Mirror Bay (Nancy Drew #49)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,733 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Eloise Drew invites her niece and the cousins to a cabin near Cooperstown, New York to solve the mystery of a woman who glides across the water. Upon arriving, Nancy becomes involved in a vacation hoax when she is mistaken for a woman in on the fraud. On the wooded mountain near the cabin, a weird luminescent green sorcerer appears, threatening to cast an evil spell on tho ...more
Published 1972 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Mirror Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Mirror Bay

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Tabi34
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
I've slowed my quest of reading all of the original Nancy Drew books to a crawl. While these were probably exciting to pre-teens in the '60s and '70s, they're quite predictable to this jaded cynical adult.

I do get really excited when there is some romantic progression. In this book Aunt Eloise is introduced to Matt. Burt's uncle and a professor at Emerson University. They seem to hit it off quite well, but beyond overhearing Matt asking Eloise for a date later, that's the extent of it. I wonder
Kate ★
The Nancy Drew series will always have a special place in my heart because it was started my love for mystery books, and fueled my love for reading. Honestly though, reading it now is whole different experience and sadly, it's not in a positive direction.

As usual, Nancy and the gang have some couple of mysteries to solve, met danger along the way, but solves them unscathed. Why would the adults in her life allow her to do detective work even if it placed her in harm's way? She got her sidekicks,
Kate
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
“The Secret of Mirror Bay” is number forty-nine in the Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene. I grew up reading Nancy Drew books and still find them a quick but thoroughly enjoyable read. A pattern I have noticed in these stories is that every chapter ends with a cliff hanger. I remember as a child, I would read the ends of each chapter when deciding which book to buy, and then choose the one that had the most exciting endings. This structure keeps the pages turning and I usually always finish a Na ...more
Melanie
Travelogue voyage to Cooperstown, NY (home of James Fenimore Cooper and the Baseball hall of fame). George is bitchier and butchier than ever. Dave (Bess's boyfriend) gets knocked unconscious by an unknown assailant.

This is a double mystery; a "lost textile process" (developing "cold light" from firefly hormones) and searching for some junk that someone threw in the lake centuries earlier. Also a con artist who looks like Nancy is independently wreaking havoc around the town and getting Nancy a
Sahifa
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Finally!! A conceivable and plausible Nancy Drew Mystery.For once Nancy had neither taken any foolish expeditions nor took any stupid risks. The entire plot was very much believable with an uncomplicated and straightforward story.
And ,that is the primary reason why I found pleasure reading it. some of the Nancy drew stories are so adventurous and complicated that they become illogical and unreasonable.
I rated it average despite of enjoying it to the fullest because of its simplicity.
Another impo
Aarathi Burki
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Having read so many Nancy drew books this one came as a huge disappointment as there was hardly any mystery and the story was too hard to believe. For starters the story line looked very poor though they tried to combine multiple mysteries they failed to grab attention. Nancy and her friends unearth lot of treasures from the lake so easily that it was hard to believe that they were hidden within the lake all these years without anyone else finding or searching for them and the place Cooperstown ...more
Vanessa Alvarez
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is very thrilling and suspenceful. It has a mystery that the main characters try to figure out, it confuses you to think you know the answer to the mystery but then has a surprising end to it.
This book does have seem to continue to add more details than needed. It has some pointless adventures that don't help to solve the mystery its self. I would recommend this book to those who liked the other Nancy Drew books, they don't need to be read in order but they all seem to have a mystery.
ErikaH15
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars. I've seen this book sitting on my bookshelf for many years, and I don't remember ever remember reading it. This was a super fun read, recommended to all Nancy Drew fans!

Nancy Drew and crew (a.k.a. her friends George Fayne and Bess Marvin) are on vacation in Mirror Bay, staying at the Bide-A-Wee (meaning "stay a while") cabin. There are rumors of some strange activity happening in the Bay, where a ghostly woman is seen gliding across the water through the fog! Nancy and her pals invest
Jasmine
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children's Mystery fans
It was so much fun going back and reading a book that I read as a kid two decades ago. I loved Nancy Drew as a kid and read all of the old yellow hardbacks, you know the ones. Now, I'm enjoying them anew as an adult. Don't worry, Nancy, George, and Bess will save the day!
Emma
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked this one, but I was disappointed a little bit with the repetition of some of the story throughout the book. Also, I feel like part of the ending didn’t quite work. But other then that, it was another exciting adventure. It shows that I rated it 3 stars, but to me it’s more like 3.5.
Gillie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good,but when you have read as many of her books as I have, you have a tiny feeling that you just might know what this book will be about.
IrishFan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This one I did remember reading once I began to read it. It was a good one.
Annika Sy
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nancy, Bess and George have just arrived in mirror bay. They have just got down the bus to find an unwelcoming surprise. Nancy might be in a lot of trouble. She is faced in a a big dilemma. May she go to jail??? well you have to find out. Along her adventure she meets new friends that help her solve different mysteries. But will she succeed in figuring the mysteries out???.

The book nancy drew and the secret of mirror bay is a nice book. I really was hooked to it at some parts (especially the ac
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Secret of Mirror Bay is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 49th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends go to visit her Aunt Eloise on Mirror Bay—a lake in New York—to investigate reports of a woman gliding over water, and they discover a treasure underwater.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most you
Greta
Nov 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
One of my favorites from childhood... book has a frustrating schism between two storylines: neither storyline(particularily the coach) gets the attention it deserves. Book would have been much better as two books. Still, I do recommend as I found imagery interesting.Unfortunatey, Bess bashing about her weight gets uglier than usual. Book misses some of dark exciting adventure of original author's writing.... as dark elements are repeatedly and intrusively explained logically by Ned. Though this ...more
Jessi
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nancy is off to Mirror Bay at a Bide-a-Wee cabin in New York. Aunt Eloise has invited her niece as well as Bess and George but the trip is off to a rough start when some passengers getting off a bus from New York accuse Nancy of setting up a real estate scheme. It turns out that there is a girl who looks very like Nancy (but harder) who is doing some really suspicious things all around town.
Of course, a Nancy Drew book isn't a real mystery without a few other happenings, such as a woman looking
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
LuAnn
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This Nancy Drew Mystery Story and the one before it (The Crooked Banister), are two of the best later books in the original series. I don't always know why I like some better than others, but this one has a well-defined, interesting location (Cooperstown, NY), solid sleuthing, all the chums and special friends together at a lakeside cabin, mysterious people in the woods, a suspect who looks like Nancy, an old family mystery. And for a change, two mysteries that weren't somehow connected!
Hubert Su9
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to Hubert by: Library (Willis Pang a good friend of mine)
Nancy Drew's Aunt ,Aunt Eloise invited Nancy to New York to go to her house when Aunt Eloise was scared out of her with of the women that glides over water ,Will Nancy be able to solve this intruding mystery? (i fell asleep when reading this book because i was sleepy not because the book was boring!!
Judy
May 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Apparently the publisher either didn't bother editing this book, or the editor had no knowledge of basic grade-school science. If you don't want to confuse readers who know anything about bats, darkness, or scuba diving, skip this one. A writer who doesn't at least fact check doesn't deserve an audience.
Stacey
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
The wrap up to the coach mystery was really short. After all the times these kids have been seriously hit on the head how are they not brain damaged? Didn't really know who was the culprit and what they were up to until the end.
Jean Hall
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
I always liked this series when I was growing up and found this book at library book sale so decided to buy it. I still like Nancy Drew! I kept trying to guess who the villains were throughout the book.
Natalie Nichols
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It had a couple mysteries linked to eachother. It got intense on some parts which I like about books. Sometimes at the end of a chapter I'd realize that I had been holding my breath!
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't love the writing in this Nancy Drew installment, but I thought the mystery was great. A lot of things weren't too difficult to figure out, but that storyline was fun and I liked the Russian connection.
Cassie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew is one of my favorite series. It has so much mystery and you never know what's going to happen next. When you start the book, you can never put it down. I wish I could tell you more, but I read it a long time ago. Plus, I never give out spoilers in my reviews!
Melanie
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Je crois que ce sont des livres comme "Alice", "les 6 compagnons" ou encore les "aventures de Fantomette", qui m'ont donné ce gout pour la lecture, et en particulier celle de roman à suspense et/ou thrillers/policiers.
Ashleigh Lopes
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This one reminds me of the earlier books. There is danger, but Nancy and friends escape unscathed and the mystery is suddenly solved in seconds (or pages). But it is better than some just prior to it.
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a fun adventure.
Kim
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
book 49
  • The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden # 29)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • Writ in Stone (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Disappearing Floor (Hardy Boys, #19)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)