Start by marking “An Inconvenient Woman” as Want to Read:
An Inconvenient Woman

An Inconvenient Woman

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,539 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Jules Mendelson is wealthy. Astronomically so. He and his wife lead the kind of charity-giving, art-filled, high-society life for which each has been carefully groomed. Until Jules falls in love with Flo March, a beautiful actress/waitress. What Flo discovers about the superrich is not a pretty sight. And in the end, she wants no more than what she was promised. But when F ...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about An Inconvenient Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Inconvenient Woman

Neva
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a freakin' masterpiece. Imagine, if you will, an aging billionaire with a high society wife that grows orchids. Oh, that's boring? WAIT. Now, also imagine that billionaire having an affair with a coffee shop waitress. Still lame? Throw in a male prostitute, pot smoking, revised wills, and a gossip columnist! How about that? Oh, you're still bored. I'm not. Whatever. I GUESS WE KNOW WHO HAS GOOD TASTE IN BOOKS, MR. GENIUS.
Lara
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Like eating a box of chocolates, guilty but delicious. Love Dominick Dunne's gossipy style - with a few rapier-like observations he wickedly brings to life his characters. A social satire on how the rich live, and live above the law. Even more jaw-dropping to read it is based on a real-life set of events.
Laurel-Rain
What happens when a woman becomes "inconvenient"? Flo March is about to find out.

Her wealthy married lover has provided her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promised to always take care of her. When he becomes ill, however, and the end seems near, he even arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

So what happens to this dream? Suddenly her world is topsy-turvy. She is persona non grata everywhere she goes. And frightening thin
Cindy Gonzaga-ramil
Didn't expect that I'd like this book but I did! This is 1000000 pages long and I finished reading in 1.5 days. Plot was so well executed. There were so many supporting which normally turns me off but their connection to the main plot all made sense. They all added something necessary to the plot. I also like the choice of adjective in the title.. mostly because I'd never heard of inconvenient as a description of a person before and I think that this is pretty clever. Loved the writing and I act ...more
Christina
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dominick Dunne is a must read. I will be seeking out more of his novels!
Helen Azar
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on the true story of Vicky Morgan and Alfred Bloomingdale's affair - and the former's murder- this is Dominick Dunne at his best!
Susan Daly
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As you may or may not have noticed I don't even put books up on this site that I don't really, really, like for one reason or another. I don't know if I have even put all of Dominick Dunne's books on my list or not, but I have read each and every one of them; well, I lie, I didn't read his very first book, and the name of it escapes me at the moment. I also admit whenever he published a new book, I bought it immediately and read it as soon as it was in my hands.

But he was always a quick, juicy,
Richard Curry
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read any books in this genre before. I did enjoy it. It was interesting and engaging. It IS a cautionary tale, and shows us that everyone has flaws and weaknesses, and immense wealth does not guarantee good choices nor outcomes. One review says it is based on a real series of events, and although it is fiction, there is much apparent reflection of the foibles of many real people in the twisting story of AN INCONVENIENT WOMAN by Dominick Dunne. Caution: contains depictions of brutal mu ...more
Nicole
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A floridly captivating novel that gripped me for the last 200 pages. Do I really have to do anything--make dinner, do laundry, watch tv? No thank you, I would like to read this book instead. Just fantastic.
Alicia
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the very definition of "guilty pleasure." It's all about rich people having affairs and covering up murders and going to dinner parties, and the characters have names like Kippie Petworth and Hortense Madden and Lonny Edge. It's not Shakespeare, but it's thoroughly entertaining.
Shawn
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh gee...lifestyles of the rich navel gazers!! I read this as a part of a book group reading challenge. I'm trying not to be bitter about never getting the wasted days of reading back.
Rebekah
Couldn't put it down! In true Dominick Dunne fashion, it's a juicy picture of the way that the wealthy live. Different rules, different morals, different lives altogether. I loved every page!
Debbi Schwarz
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Too much bad language and sex.
Letitia Kim
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much darker than Dunne's earlier novels. A very compelling read filled with the machinations of the rich set, murders, and tragedies.
Jane Darby-Day
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Dominick Dunne. I always enjoyed his Vanity Fair articles. This is a good beac summer read. A little trashy but hard to put down.
Sibal Wadi
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a brilliant read! The characters are very well written. I would recommend everyone to read it.
Ellen
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it very much.
Robert Laviano
One of those books that are a chore to finish but you don't have any choice. Sort of like painting a house, glad you did it but glad it's done. It was like reading a 300 page gossip column about a lot of dysfunctional rich people.
Pat Steinkuehler
This is timeless. Jules is preparing to head a league in Europe as countries examine consolidating money. Poor Flo's TAPES are priceless. How I miss this author!! Anyone who has not read this book MUST.
Emily
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“An Inconvenient Women” paints a cautionary tale of the downside to being a mistress. This book focuses on Flo March, a young woman who was Jules Mendelsen's mistress.Her wealthy married lover has provides her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promises to always take care of her. Even when he becomes ill and the end seems eminent, he arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

Dunne says of Flo March that most people who meet he
Joanne
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2013

This story had all the right elements of rich, famous, murder, cover-up and scandal. Dunne writes a story that connects all the characters and shows how money can buy happiness and security. It kind of reminds me of the old Dallas/Dynasty night time soap operas I used to watch.

Jules and Pauline are a power couple rich in business and adamant on separating themselves from the Hollywood crowd. Pauline is a pillar of grace under pressure until slowly her marriage and world start to unravel when he
Elliott
The penultimate selection in the Hollywood Region of LA Weekly's Best L.A. Novel Ever tournament, "An Inconvenient Woman" is one of those salacious Hollywood novels that reveal (and revel in) the machinations of the rich and powerful. Although it is by no means poorly written, I am convinced a novel of this genre could never rise above the level of pot-boiler. After I had finished reading about two-thirds of it, I really wanted it to just end.

I'm considering filing a grievance with the selectio
Wiebke Kuhn
I liked this for the most part, but this portrayal of Los Angeles high society in its village-like atmosphere - everyone knows everyone and everything about everyone, was getting rather unbelievable in that there is only one coffee shop, one hair dresser, one flower person - but maybe that is the way it is with rich people. Probably written to account for Monroe's death conspiracies, although that gets mentioned only once. And I had the feeling that the writer had written himself into the book a ...more
Rachel
An Inconvenient Woman is the tale of three people - Jules Mendelson, a wealthy businessman, his wife Pauline, a socialite, and Jules' mistress, Flo - and how they behave in the wake of the death of Pauline's friend Hector.

It took me quite a while to get into this (approximately 300 pages of a book which is 496 pages long). I couldn't understand why Jules was trying so hard to cover up Hector's death, until I got to a particular point in the book. Then, I really began to appreciate Dunne's tale
Kylie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandy
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a break from James Baldwin and the never ending religious moralizing of Go Tell It on the Mountain. With a vaca approaching, I just couldn't take Mr. Baldwin with me. He simply isn't an airplane read. So, what's the polar opposite of a book about the deeply religious poor of Harlem? This book, about the completely amoral super rich of LA. Watch the .001% wine dine snort lie spend murder and screw their way through 450 pages of fluff. A decent beach book at 3.5 stars.
Cecilia
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A scandal-ridden story of privilege, fame and money...all of which Dunne excels in writing about. After a high-society, prominent L.A. figure is found having an affair with a younger, MUCH less affluent woman, the man's house of cards begins to closely and meticulously come crashing down around him. VERY well done but the consummate author about society's coming and goings...Dunne.
Will Vanderbilt
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book off my mother's bookshelf. It had probably been sitting there since she read the book the year it was published. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. An easy, fun read. A voyeuristic look at the lives of New York socialites. Rather than expose them, Dunne seems content to shine a spotlight on them.
Mwerevu
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it hard to describe this book. It's so wonderfully written that I am at loss for words. It's unlike any book I have ever read. It has such great characters that keep driving the story forward. I felt as though I was secretly peeking into their lives the whole time, and I wasn't supposed to be there. Great story; great read. Highly recommended.
Bethany
As I was reading, I kept thinking I had read it before. Maybe it was an old Jackie Collins or Nora Roberts book I read. I may pick up another Dominick Dunne novel to see if its his style or just the story that seemed familiar.
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)
  • Family and Friends
  • Boca Knights
  • Rivals
  • Bondage
  • Are You My Mother?
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and
More about Dominick Dunne...