Start by marking “Blade of the Poisoner” as Want to Read:
Blade of the Poisoner

Blade of the Poisoner

(Poisoner #1)

Twelve-year-old Jarral and three friends with strong psychic Talents fight the evil of Prince Mephtik the Poisoner, who serves the Demon-Driver.
Mass Market Paperback, 194 pages
Published November 1st 1989 by Starfire (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Blade of the Poisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blade of the Poisoner

Start your review of Blade of the Poisoner
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Dramatisation of the sci-fi fantasy novel. Douglas Hill's sci-fi fantasy stars Eric Allen.
Search
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was my first contact with fantasy fiction apart from the fairy tales my grandmothers and aunt told me as a child. I was absolutely enamored by the book and tried for a long time to get my hands on the sequel but somehow could never find it.
I remember wanting to be a firebrand for the long time, after reading this. lol :)
I think, if I could find the sequel even now at one of my local book stores I'd get it and read it in an instant.
Bettie
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Charlton
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was one of the first fantasy novels i read. It left a major impression. I think due to the influence of this book i prefer sci-fi/fantasy where stories are either based in medieval times or people use the power of their minds.
Sheila
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Listened to this as drama adaptation as podcast from BBC Radio 4 Extra
Nikki
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A young boy encounters the Poisoner while in the forest, is captured, and is cut by his sword. This blade has a special power, for whoever suffers a wound from the sword will die by the next full moon. As the full moon draws nigh, he will feel the weight of death approaching...
This is the book that not only introduced me to the genre of fantasy, but also helped me to discover the world of angst. While some might not consider this book as engrossing as I - it is your typical fantasy in basic sto
Mike Behlke
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in 7th grade, I had found it in my jr. high's library. I remember liking it a lot. I liked the idea that these characters had special powers, like the X-men. I found this book, again, in 2002. I re-read it then, when I was 23 and found it to be a short and easy read, obviously, since it is gears toward a younger audience. I never read the sequal.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. It was the first fantasy book I read on my own. So it has a special place in my heart, I'm sure if I where to reread it I would not like it as much, like maybe a one or two star. But for a kid it's great stuff I I can find a copy I will get it for my son.
Noor Jahangir
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I have fond memories of this book from my teen years. I know I liked it then, so I scored it 3 stars. Can't remember the plot and haven't read it recently, so the points are just for mere nostalgia.
Neil Pearson
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From what i can remember (16 years ago) this was great. Kids with cool powers and evil monsters for them to overcome. Shame its out of print!
Bill Hice
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read it in sixth grade. Probably not as good now.
Karen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this and other books by Douglas Hill since childhood.
Aaron
Aug 08, 2010 rated it liked it
For what is is (young adult fantasy) it's pretty good.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-adult
This book is probably kind of crappy, but I sure loved it when I was a kid and it's taken me years to work enough google magic to find the title and author again.
Sara
Jan 03, 2013
Sep 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Finn Mac Cool
  • Freak the Mighty (Freak The Mighty, #1)
  • Dying of the Light
  • The Night Land
  • Crash
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Wishful Drinking
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Dead Ringer (Agatha Raisin, #29)
  • Sam, the Most Scaredy-cat Kid in the Whole World
Douglas Arthur Hill (6 April 1935 – 21 June 2007) was a Canadian science fiction author, editor and reviewer. He was born in Brandon, Manitoba, the son of a railroad engineer, and was raised in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. An avid science fiction reader from an early age, he studied English at the University of Saskatchewan (where he earned an Honours B.A. in 1957) and at the University of Toronto ...more

Poisoner (2 books)