Start by marking “Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings--And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally” as Want to Read:

If sweets and high-fat foods are sabotaging your efforts to lose weight and get healthy, Dr. Neal Barnard has the solution to conquering your food addictions. Backed up by scientific research, Breaking the Food Seduction explains that your biochemistry, not your lack of willpower, is the problem. Dr. Barnard reveals the simple dietary and lifestyle changes that can break t ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Food Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Food Seduction

Start your review of Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings--And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
Ken
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
For me, it all comes down to oatmeal.

But first you have the name of the book: Breaking the Food Seduction. It sounds a little goofy at first, like a cover blurb on a checkout stand magazine. But Dr. Barnard has a real point: the reason it's so hard to resist, say, chocolate, or cheese, or (for me) that doughnut, has nothing to do with willpower. It's chemistry. We literally become addicted to the physical effects of components of these foods, and that leads us to crave them.

Dr. Barnard is car
Cheryl
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little hard-core, and a little out of date? / controversial? Barnard has no problem with seitan and rice & new potatoes. My husband's doctor says no carbs. Barnard recommends (old-fashioned) oatmeal over wheat cereal, but uses a lot of whole-wheat flour in the recipes... why not substitute oat flour? Very vegetarian, almost vegan.

It's about avoiding the opiates that encourage the cravings and about leveling the blood sugar. Glycemic Index is very important. His research volunteers did gre
Michele Harrod
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, this book has been a real eye-opener, in understanding the biochemistry that goes into the 'cravings' we have for foods that are so bad for us!! It's actually made me angry to understand how little options I have actually had in controlling my own appetite, when foods filled with opiates are being shoved down our throats (literally of course) but big food industries, and why we sabotage our good efforts so easily.

So now I'm going to take on some of these menu suggestions to free myself fro
Scmachado
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months and my boyfriend has lost 35 lbs because of this book. Worth every penny.
Have Mercy Killer Reviews
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't buy a whole lot of diet books or healthy eating books. My reading base is usually fantasy or science fiction, but while I was in Florida a couple months back they had Neal Barnard on public television, and I could not pull my eyes away from the television. The things he explained about differences in diets, the things you eat, and so forth, were so intelligent yet easy to understand. You just knew the man knew what he was talking about.

So, that's how I came about his books. T
Shanda
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Favorite part so far is when Dr. Barnard says no one ever is stuck on radishes and green beans or needs help breaking the addiction from spinach.

This book has parts that absolutely resonate with me. I can manage to eat a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, salad and beans and fruit for lunch, salad and beans and fruit for dinner without a problem - but when the sugar comes calling (in the form of cake, cookies and pie of course), I answer right away! This book offers valuable suggest
Zachary
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book is absolutely amazing!

It lays out the fundamentals of why Chocolate and Cheese and other foods are so addicting and hard to stay away from. He also tells you exactly how you can get away from them.

My biggest take away was that is changed my perception of animal products and why there is so much misinformation out there about them.

There are huge government lobbies for the Meat, cheese, sugar and chocolate industry in Washington.

Also, by reading the book, there
Tamara Evans
A insightful book providing information behind why people crave the unhealthy foods (chocolate, sugar, cheese,potato chips). The author also shows readers how to break their addictions to such unhealthy foods.
Rhea
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Overall it was a great book. It presented so much "known" information in a new light. I can say it has me thinking differently about the life changes I would like to make.
Suphatra
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book to be very valuable. I had read the popular "21-Day Kick Starter Diet" (a low-fat vegan manifesto about resetting your taste buds to healthier choices) and had tried and failed at the Kick Starter, though I did notice some benefits while I was trying it. So when I came upon another book by Dr. Barnard, I thought I should give his philosophy a second chance.

Breaking the Food Seduction reads very much like a prequel to Kick Starter. It gives you the context to what sh
Rosemary
Sep 29, 2008 marked it as to-read

It's about time for us to change our habits and most of all be responsible for the way we feed our children.

I won't say I will give up on my chocolate at all...that's my addiction...but red meat,dairies and all that white junk we think it's good (white rice,sugar,flour,etc.)I'm definitely making the effort to give up !!

Richard
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Did you know that chocolate affects the same opiate receptors in your brain as heroine. Do you ever wonder why you get weak at the knees when bread, sugary snacks, cheese, etc. becomes available? Certain foods really are like drugs.

Resistance is not futile. Barnard demystifies the connection between food and cravings.
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Of all the Barnard books I perused this one had the most recipes I actually made and liked. Funny how some of the recipes show up in multiple books and some books seem to have the least accessible and recipes I've ever seen - all by the same author. If I had to pick just one to own I think this one would be it.
Cheryl
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was chosen by the Weight Watchers Vegetarian message board. We read it as a group and discussed it every Friday. This book makes total sense to me. It affirmed things that I have found since I gave up meat, dairy, caffeine and sugar 10 months ago.

These suggestions work!!
Marjorie
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Similar to his other book, Food for Life- just updated. Again, promotes a vegan diet with good medical/ science backing. Lots of recipes and 21 day starter diet. Nothing new- but good reinforcement for me. Far more practical than many
Missmonicac
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of nutritional books, so while I did know a lot of the info I read in this book, it's very good for reference and to have in one place. Good everyday sense and language and some yum recipes I'm looking into trying soon.
Jim Graham
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a heavy read. It’s a good book to have a highlighter with. Keep it with your cookbooks so you can reference it. While I won’t become a vegan from it I understand better how the food chemical reactions work.
Evik
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read the first chapter, got suspicious, checked the recipes and saw a whole lotta tofu, and realised I almost read a vegan book.
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-15
Frustrating book! The first part explains the biology behind the cravings and offers some insights as to why some cravings may be beneficial to our species. After all, if mother's milk didn't taste good to babies they'd be disinclined to put up with it, right? It's full of fun stuff about the opiate effect of chocolate and dairy products and sugar. He didn't include salt for some reason.

So after the fun stuff, here comes a chapter subheading: Is it Good to Break a Chocolate Habit? Th
Georgia Roybal
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a book about training yourself to avoid foods that are harmful to your health. It is also written from a vegan perspective. I think many of the foods he encourages avoiding and the techniques for avoiding them are valuable. I am notorious for not believing much that nutrition research finds. I mean, first eggs are bad, then they're good; coffee is bad then it's good; oil is bad then there is good oil and bad oil, etc., etc. I simply do not know what to believe. One thing I feel is ...more
Mchotiner
This is a go-to book for anyone who wants to stop the sugar madness...and start eating healthy in a way that your body and mind want you to eat. It's written from a scientific perspective by a doctor and includes easy to understand research about why sugar is so addictive and keeps you coming back for more and more. It's not a fluffy, fad diet book - it's practical information that is backed by science and research.

The main piece of information to make this book worthwhile is that it takes 2 -
Ryan
Jul 30, 2013 added it
This is one of those books I want everyone I know to read. I want to give it as gifts (but I won't, because that would make me insufferable). While Dr. Barnard is a hardcore vegan, and espouses that philosophy throughout as the only way to be truly healthy, a stance I respect but don't necessarily agree with, there is still a lot to learn in here. Not just a treatise on why you shouldn't eat meat or dairy, this book actually goes into the neurology of several common, and highly addictive, foods, ...more
Andrea
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: Ellen show
Shelves: self-help
He definitely supports the vegan diet. I don't really have trouble with food cravings aside from chocolate and some sweets. (which never tempted me anyway until my 3rd child was born) Mostly I am taking to heart his talk about increasing fiber in our diets. I've started experimenting with this at breakfast time and I notice that I don't even think about food again until at least noon. Fiber is key to curbing craves and binging. He says aim for 40g per day. Good book about eating healthy. He also ...more
Lesley Looper
I read this book so closely to finishing Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers that I'm having a hard time differentiating between the two at this point! (arrggh!) Certainly, a number of ideas are similar, in terms of eating better, especially cutting out sugar. This book, like the other, had recipes in back which I scrolled through, since I don't generally go back to recipes in books read on my Kindle app.
Katie
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book for understanding how foods (like chocolate, cheese & other dairy, and meat) are actually addictive- and how they affect the brain chemically... when you think you are addicted to chocolate- it's not just a cliché , Chocolate actually has chemical components that register in the same dopamine producing part of your brain as morphine... of course we get hooked- we are chemically inclined to crave these foods... No wonder willpower is so often not enough!
He has tons of valuable
Kim
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm already mostly vegan, so much of the advice wasn't new to me and I was already following it. I did like being reminded of the health benefits of giving up meat and (especially) dairy. I also learned a lot about the importance of fiber, the over emphasis on protein in our society, and what the heck "glycemic index" means. I don't think I'm going to change much of what I'm eating, maybe I'll be more mindful of not putting so many fattening toppings on my potatoes and bread. Otherwise, against ...more
Zoe
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
This book touts a practically nonfat, whole grain vegan diet to stop sugar and other unhealthy food cravings. Barnard doesn't mention veganism until late in the book, however. Maybe because it was written before the concept of veganism became part of popular culture? Barnard has no problems with loads of soy and gluten, of course! The best thing about this book are the decent vegan recipes in the back. I kind of wish the recipe section was detachable from the rest of the book, which I would not ...more
Nati Lima
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely amazing. It has an expert's advice on how to change your diet backed up by reliable medical sources. The explanations in layman's terms of how foods affect us biologically were very interesting and useful. The recipes were what truly impressed me. Usually vegan recipes are either overly complicated or not that great but these were easy and absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to make a positive lifestyle change to a more healthy one. The steps ...more
Allison
Oct 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people concerned about their health
This book explains why you crave chocolate, cheese, and meats, and it tells you that you will be healthier and happier- more stable brain chemistry and moods and blood sugar- if you stop eating them. Basically, it explains that a low-fat, vegan diet is the way to go! I agree, although most people won't. But for those looking to reduce depression, lose weight, and feel better overall, this is great advice. If nothing else, it's a good reference for why certain foods make you feel the way they do.
Julie Doherty
Jan 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I watched Dr. Barnard's TED speech and loved what he had to say about nutrition, so I thought I would check out his books. I really believe what he has to say about foods being addictive. Who knew that cheese was so addicting, though?! I couldn't give it 5 stars because I believe it is a little outdated: there were so many recipes that call for soy products. I think now we know that too much soy is bad for the endocrine system, especially for those of us with thyroid issues.
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard 1 4 Apr 01, 2012 02:33PM

• The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • Eat to Live Cookbook: 200 Delicious Nutrient-Rich Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
  • Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
  • Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook: 131 Delicious Recipes for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Reversing Disease, and Lifelong Health
  • The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
  • Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous!
  • The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force That Undermines Health and Happiness
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • The End of Dieting: How to Live for Life
  • The Adrenal Reset Diet: Strategically Cycle Carbs and Proteins to Lose Weight, Balance Hormones, and Move from Stressed to Thriving
  • The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet: Activate Your Body's Natural Ability to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast
  • 5 Ingredients – Quick  Easy Food
  • Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
Neal D. Barnard, M.D., is a nutrition researcher, author, and health advocate. As an adjunct associate professor of medicine at the George Washington University School of Medicine, Dr. Barnard conducts studies on the role of nutrition in diabetes, obesity, and lipid management, among other health issues. His most recent clinical trial, funded by the National Institutes of Health, established the v ...more