Start by marking “The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round” as Want to Read:

The easiest and safest methods for making delectable preserves in small batches -- all year long.

"Takes the pressure off cooks who don't have much time... but still want to savor the season's bounty."
-Chicago Tribune (Review of the prior edition)

The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving takes the guesswork out of home preserving. Both beginners and pros can make t

Published March 16th 2007 by Firefly Books (first published March 16th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla EmeryThe Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John SeymourSeed to Seed by Suzanne AshworthThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganPut 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton
Homesteading
230 books — 103 voters
Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving by Judi KingryBest Recipes from Eastern Europe by Sahara SandersThe Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie ToppThe Blue Chair Jam Cookbook by Rachel SaundersCanning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff
Best books on Jam.
10 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Katharine Grubb
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
I love being a beginner preserver, and this book has been great so far. Some of the recipes have left me guessing, but with experience, I think that I'll get the hang of it a little better. I made the Maple Honey Butter without incident. I love that everything is in a small batch! This is perfect for my little kitchen, and my modest amount of time.
Joyce
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terrific book, covering jams, jellies, marmalades, conserves, pickles, chutneys, salsa, flavored oils and vinegars... whew! True to the title, all are geared for small batches, so you don't need a bounteous harvest from the garden or orchard. It's possible to make lovely preserves of all sorts even if you rely on produce and ingredients from the farmer's market, grocery produce or gifts from friends. Most of the recipes, and all that I've done to date, use a water-bath rather than a pressure coo ...more
Anastacia
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, cookbooks
I'm a little in love with this book, which covers jams, jellies, marmalades, conserves, pickles, chutneys, salsa, flavored oils and vinegars (the latter two I'll never make). By far this one is my favorite canning cookbook I've read so far, ever.

It focuses on small batch water bath canning - exactly what I'm looking to do. Make small batches of food, using ingredients mainly from my garden, with maybe a couple of things added (like peppers, because my garden right now is just not producing pepp
Diana
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A useful book, and I'm thankful for something that doesn't ask for an entire bushel of produce! Unfortunately, what I needed was a Lemon Curd recipe. This has one, but it's for the microwave...which I don't have. Bummer, really, but I did copy out several other recipes to try.
Erin
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this book tremendously. It's giving me all sorts of ideas for canning and even for winter projects. My plan for winter now includes making my very own mustard! Fun.

They are very toe-the-line in the book when it comes to all the new-fangled canning rules - I'll stick to the old ways, thanks. But in today's foam-padded world I guess that's the way all the books are going to be. What I really need is a canning/preserving book written about 50 years ago, when the people writing the boo
Jenna
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to do some canning!
Recommended to Jenna by: A friend
I love this book! The instructions are great and easy to follow for someone who has never canned a thing. There is a fabulous variety and I'm planning to do lots and lots of canning with our backyard garden stuff this year! It's a small garden, so this is perfect for those little batches and better yet, I won't be "stuck" in the kitchen all day!
Auralia
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has some of the best recipes for canning that I have ever tasted! I loved that these were for small batches, they only made a few pints of the recipe instead of like tons of it. The pickles are great, loved the blueberry jam recipes, loved the apple butter, the salsa and pasta sauces are fantastic. This is one great book.
Dana
Well written with over 300 recipes. Measurements are in both metric and Imperial. Written for small batch so a nice way to experiment. A detailed description of safe canning techniques is given as well.
Wendy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jams, jellies, marmalades, pickles, beet pickles, pickled garlic, and more. This is the one for small families, single people and just a dab of homemade produce set aside from one's home victory garden. Enjoy!
Emily Sexton
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book with lots of creative recipes!
Susan
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lots of delicious-sounding recipes and clear, useful instructions.
Robin Meadows
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great recipes for small quantities of fresh veggies. Everything from jams to marinades, pickles to flavored oils. I own this book.
James
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foodies
Includes vinegar, flavored oils and Asian sauces. Also the recipes are much smaller than more traditional canning books. Rating goes to 5 if I break down and buy it.
Vivian
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've already made several recipes and have been enormously proud of myself. Easy to follow and the results are terrific. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Christy Grayson
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is full of good recipes. I can't wait to get started on preserving my harvest.
Lisa
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous. So many wonderful recipes. I borrowed it from the library and have to own a copy for myself.
Kate
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
I love, love, love this canning book. Awesome recipes. I just wish I had more things to can. And more time. And more shelf space. And more jars. You get the idea.
Karen
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
got it for the 20 Peach recipes. Woohoo!
Fran
Fell in love with this one! Jellies and jams. Relishes. Chutneys and Conserves. YUM.
Jess
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Liked this one.
Stacey
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. The best small batch canning book I own.
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for canning small batches.
Ann
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There were several recipes in the book that I want to make. It was worthwhile to check it out from the library.
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it
I made three different kinds of pickles out of this book. I haven't tried any of them yet so I can't comment on the tastiness of the recipes. But the recipes were really nice because they usually only make 3-4 pint jars, rather than the 20 pints or whatever huge amount most books have you making. I'm probably going to buy it if we approve of the recipes once we've tasted the pickles! I made Garlic Dill, Sweet Garlic Dill, and Curried pickles - 11 pints in all, and all with cucumbers from our own ...more
George
May 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This book was so promising: lovely production, clean layout, well written a wide range of simple recipes, and straightforward organization. Nice clear instructions from start to finish.

Too bad that many of the recipes either don't work or give poor results. Out of 8 or 10 that I've tried only one was a hit. The rest were edible but not worth repeating.

I suggest you not buy this book but rather get a copy from the library and see for yourself.
penny shima glanz
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, library-nypl
I haven't made any of the recipes but am currently reviewing books to decide what I might want to refer to when I finally get a chance to preserve a few things. I took this out thinking my energy and that funny thing called "time" would let me get there this year. I like the aim of smaller yields, but didn't take good enough notes while I was reading it, so I'll have to revisit this one again when I'm closer to the project.
Amy
I liked this book, though not as much as the other small batch preserving book I recently read. I think I'm less likely to use the recipes in this book - though there are LOTS - so almost anyone could find a recipe or two useful. I would recommend to those who enjoy a vintage flavor palette, many of this are heritage recipes and flavors.
Rebecca
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Straight up better than Ball. Ball is a great start, but this is well written with through anyalsis on canning, freezing and other methods. The recipes are more applicable to our lives and well, the variety is better. This book one it's last star because it promotes using no pectin where pectin is not needed, which, if you know me, makes me smile.
Shelley Bond
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Cdn. authors, contributors and publisher. I tried a couple of jams,
with somewhat unconventional directions (no pectin!) and had great
results (amazing flavor as well as nice gell). Lots of unusual combinations;
perfect for gift-giving as well as stocking the pantry. As title says,
many recipes can be made year-round; they don't just rely on a bounty of
fresh produce in season.
N.L. Riviezzo
I like the concept of this book as I have a very small garden of veggies, and I am the only one consuming what is harvested/canned. The recipes are decent but seem incomplete. Several of them do not follow safe canning practices - it is easy enough to compensate for such but it would be nice if the recipes were complete and straight forward.
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Putting Food By
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • The Dehydrator Bible: Includes Over 400 Recipes
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home: Easy Techniques for the Freshest Flavors in Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Relishes, Salsas, Sauces, and Frozen and Dried Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook