Start by marking “A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit” as Want to Read:
A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit

A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit

Skipper's mother just made two delicious cherry pies. Before Skipper can taste one, he must bring a pie to Grandmother Rabbit. Along the way, Skipper runs into a host of forest animals that convince him to trade some of the pie for treats of their own. Children and adults will enjoy watching to see how Skipper's trades ultimately turn into A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit

Peggy Williams
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: children-s
A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit.

The book, A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit, by Barbara Smith, is a delightful book about a good hearted little rabbit named Skipper. As he goes about running an errand for his mother, he ran into several friends who asked for a slice of the Cherry Pie he was taking to his Grandmother. Each friend has a special gift to give him in return as he goes on his way.

By the time he reached Grandmother’s house, her pie was only half a pie. He felt bad about giving away
William Bentrim
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents and kids
A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit by Barbara J. Smith

Skipper is a bunny with a fondness for cherry pie. He must see a cherry pie get safely to his grandmother’s house. His experiences along the way comprise the story.

I read this story to my 5 and 3 year old grandchildren. They enjoyed the colorful illustrations. They were concerned about Skipper successfully getting the cherry pie to his grandmother. They were not convinced that he was going to get the job done. Smith successfully captured the
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
It is a lovely and heartwarming story with beautiful illustrations. I little rabbit has to go visit his grandmother and bring her a hot from the oven cherry pie. On his way he meets several friends. They all want a piece of pie and they are willing to trade something for it.
Kind little rabbit just cannot say no, so he ends up at his grandmother's house with some seeds, an acorn, worms, milk... and the last piece of pie! Grandmother scolds him gently, but saves the day by saying that she can use
AlexM
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little children
Recommended to AlexM by: my mom
A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit is a heartwarming children's tale about a little rabbit who goes to his grandmother to give her a pie.With this little rabbit we learn the lessons of sharing and listening to directions. As the story progresses we end up with a piece of cheese, an acorn, some worms, a bottle of milk, a bag of grain, and one piece of pie! I thought this was a wonderful book with gorgeus illustrations and some great life lessons. I think this is a great book for little children to ...more
Peggy Headings
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit" was a good childrens book. It has a wonderful way of teaching children about sharing with others. There is also a lesson in it at the same time about obeying your mother. It's important to learn both in life. It's best for children to learn these lessons at the earliest age possible.

I really liked how this author bought these lessons together. I recommend anyone to read this book to their children!

Peggy Headings
(Author of "The Adventures of the Muffin famil
Jennifer Phillips
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little story that a young child is sure to enjoy reading together with a grown-up over and over. You just know the main character, Skipper, is going to have an adventure when he sets off with a pie in hand. But it's an enjoyable adventure that plays out and young readers will identify with Skipper's need to make decisions along the way. The soft pastel illustrations are comforting and engaging, perfectly supporting the unfolding story.

This is a book you should pick up for cozy r
Meghan
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be a winner in a giveaway. Thanks again!

Two lucky little girls(ages 7 & 1) now have the pleasure of enjoying this lovely little book. I loved that even after multiple reads, it doesn't become as tiresome as others I've come across.

I agree with other reviewers that it's a bit reminiscent of others I've read as a child but that's a positivve thing for me. Why change a good thing?

Overall, a good recommend for those learning to read and for younger children. Everyone can e
Alison
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A Surprise for Grandmother Rabbit is a very endearing children’s book. The illustrations are wonderful and the story heartwarming with an important message hidden between the lines.

Although Grandmother Rabbit doesn’t get all of her pie, her grandson actually helped her by ‘bartering’ pieces of it on his way to her house, so not only does she get one piece of the pie, she also gets lunch and dinner, and can start a garden.

This would make a charming bedtime story to read to any child.
Phillip Whittington
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my friend’s children who absolutely loved the traditional way that the story was told and the brightly coloured pictures.
It put me in mind of the stories I used to enjoy myself many years ago and should it have been around at the time I am sure it would have been one of my favourites.
The artwork and colours are great and I especially like the picture in which the bunny meets the bird. The book also has a nice message, which I don’t want to tell here and spoil the story for o
Lee Pritchett
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Meredith
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for choosing me as one of the winners of this book! This is a very sweet story that teaches children the importance of relationships with family and friends. It is a story that most children can relate to and one that I plan on enjoying with my second grade class. Thank you again!
Bethie39
Mar 06, 2011
Mallorie
Apr 09, 2010
Laura Kollett
Feb 05, 2013
Joy
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
I am so happy to win this book! it sounds like it will be a fun read.
Barbara Smith
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeanne
Ann Keller
May 20, 2010
Cassie McCown
Aug 09, 2011
I’ve been a freelance editor since the mid-1980s and have always dabbled in writing but have never actually put my skills to a test until now.
My freelance editing background ranges from pre-school through college-level textbooks. Most of these projects involved mathematics, geography and some science textbooks at the pre-school through 5th grade levels, but I’ve also edited secondary mathematics