Start by marking “Mrs Tim of the Regiment” as Want to Read:
Mrs Tim of the Regiment

Mrs Tim of the Regiment (Mrs. Tim #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  871 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Tenth May, 1934. At this moment I look up and see the Man Who Lives Next Door standing on his doorstep watching my antics, and disapproving (I feel sure) of my flowered silk dressing gown. Probably his own wife wears one of red flannel, and most certainly has never been seen leaning out of the window in it - The Awful Carrying On of Those Army People - he is thinking.

Vivac
Published April 15th 2010 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Tim of the Regiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Tim of the Regiment

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I have been reading all the Bloomsbury Group series of books.

Summary: Mrs. Tim is the wife of Captain Tim, they have two children a boy and a girl and live with the Regiment in England. Mrs. Tim writes in her diary from the period of January to June detailing the daily life she lives paying particular attention to the eccentric characters surrounding her and the humorous events that can happen in simple village life. Then Mrs. Tim's life is unsettled as the Captain is transfe
Donna Jo Atwood
Back when I was in High School I read a ton of D.E. Stevenson's books, but I don't remember reading this one, although I know it was in our library.
Anyway, if you like gentle reads with not much going on set in an England that is/was like none of my midwestern American life you might enjoy these. It is comparable to the Miss Read books. Or for a more contemporary author, Jan Karon. The perfect read with a cup of tea and scones.
rachael gibson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few negative reviews of this book which claim that 'nothing happens' - but for me that's almost part of the appeal as it makes you focus entirely on Stevenson's writing.

It reminded me slightly of Denis Mackail's Greenery Street; another book set in a similar area which simply covers the day-to-day life of married couple without much in the way of a plot - again, it's all about the writing.

Mrs Tim, as you've no doubt read, is an edited version of the diary written by Stevenson herself
Beccie
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read March, 2017
Mrs. Tim had to be part of my road trip of books in preparation for my upcoming UK trip. We will be staying a couple of nights in Aviemore, so Mrs. Tim's vacation in the Highlands was perfect. Too bad I won't have a car so I could actually go to Avielochan.

Re-read Jan. 2015
I need to clear the cobwebs from my brain with my dear Mrs. Tim.

Original Review
Thank-you, thank-you Bloomsbury group for re-issuing this book that has been out of print for many years! I can't even g
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mother, especially a SAHM
Shelves: favorites
I loved, loved, loved this dear book. It was also published under the title "Mrs. Tim Christie." It was written in 1936 yet the situations that the main character, Hester (Mrs. Christie) experiences are timeless and universal...and hilarious at times! The book is written in a diary format by Hester; she is the wife of an English military officer and her life and times as an officer's wife and mother of two in pre WWII England are just so interesting to me. I laughed out loud in the first page of ...more
K.
1932 or 1934 (debatable? different dates in different places).

This was the beginning for Dorothy Emily Stevenson. Taken from her diary as an army wife, spruced up for publication of course. Very reminiscent of E. M. Delafield's "Diary of a Provincial Lady" in tone, similar sense of humor and scope. Delafield's was published two years earlier if the 1934 publication date is correct, but this diary was supposedly written years before that. I wonder if they read each other.

Thoughts. Not very inst
Theresa
A re-read.

I hadn't read this one in years and had forgotten how entertaining it is!

Mrs. Tim, (Hester Christie), a British Army wife, goes through ups and downs from life at the barracks to life in Scotland, as they are transferred and Tim gets a promotion. Her anecdotes about housekeeping, servants, organizing the home and dealing with new neighbors (in between raising her two children, Betty and Bryan), are so fun to read!

There are dinner parties, afternoon teas, awkward social situations, and
Miriam
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realism

I believe this is an alternate title for Mrs Tim of the Regiment.

Stevenson's second "novel" is essentially her diary with the names changed. Not as polished as her later work (unsurprising since she wasn't allowed to get an education or write while growing up) it is still quite insightful, warm, and humorous.
Alisha
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was able to read this in Kindle format by borrowing it from someone for two weeks. The Kindle format sometimes misses punctuation, which can be distracting, but to a tolerable degree.
This book is technically two books put together, but I understand that they have pretty much always been published together, and there is nothing to indicate where one stops and the other begins.
Hester Christie is the wife of a military man, which means that her life can change at any moment if her husband is assign
Nancy
Ordinarily, this would be just my kind of book. I am partial to novels written from the 30's to the 50's that focus on the quiet lives of seemingly ordinary people. Nothing seems to happen, but small things take on great importance. And women have a very special, very limited place in their community.

So, this book (adapted from the diary of a regimental wife) written in 1934 sounded like something I would just revel in. But, even for my modest expectations, NOTHING happened. What was missing fo
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting something a bit sappy, but instead Mrs Tim of the Regiment turned out to be a perfectly delightful look at the peripetic life of a military wife. Except for the surfeit of servants, there's nothing to date this book, even though it was published in the 1930s and probably reflect experiences that occurred to author D.E. Stevenson shortly after World War I.

Hester Christie, despite her prim name, is a fun-loving and strong-minded young woman with some wonderful friends. She makes h
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had never heard of D.E. Stevenson before randomly finding this book on Amazon as one of those "customers who bought that also bought this" selections. I am a little smitten by this book. So fun. It's not exciting but it is charming. It is full of domestic squabbles and concerns, quirky friendships, interesting characters and witty conversation and observations that bring Jane Austen's humor to mind. I only wish that the other "Mrs Tim" books had also been reprinted so that I could have a littl ...more
Natalie
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out on a high note and I was enjoying myself quite a lot. But then they went to Scotland and it dragged and dragged.

I think, because this book is based on her actual diary, that a good edit was in order for the second half. Because they were on holiday and her husband was posted away, there wasn't all that much going on and she wasn't even preoccupied with running her own household, so there were not as many of the amusing little episodes that sustained the first half.

Still, pe
Michele
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love most of D. E. Stevenson's work & especially the books about Mrs. Tim. Hester is a dear, & the other characters always interesting. The books bubble with engaging friends & foes, gentle humor & action agreeably sprinkled with food, clothes & housekeeping details that only improve the pleasure for the reader. Who can resist imagining their life with afternoon tea & a devoted helper in the house? Not me!
Margaret
I quite liked the diary format and engaging heroine to start out, thinking it rather like Diary of a Provincial Lady in charm and humor, but with its own vivid characters and setting. However, the end rather fell off: the heroine becomes far too Mary-Sue-ish (with multiple men madly in love with her) and the tone more schmaltzy and less witty. I did generally enjoy it, though.
Marta Perry
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was so delighted to see that the Bloomsbury Group was reprinting this title by one of my favorite British authors. This series of books about Mrs. Tim is different from Stevenson's usual novels, in that the books are in the form of a diary. There are four books in the series, and I have ordered used copies of the other three. They give such a wonderful portrait of England during World War II...just what it was like for ordinary people. Loved it!

Marta Perry
Julie S.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(4.5) I loved this and giggled at
least once each page for the first half of the book. It was delightful because it was so ordinary-- just the day to day happenings of Hester Christie told with sharp insight into her fellow characters.
CLM
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Tim is the most popular wife in the regiment, and her lively diary entries describing daily events, misadventures, and surviving on a budget make several fun volumes.
Margaret
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Read all the D. E. Stevenson books years ago. Suggested by Goodreads because I read Green Dolphin Street.
Hannah Garden
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! I love stuff my Mom recommends, it is so sweet.
Jannah (Cloud Child)
I find that this author's books as softly comforting, they don't necessarily grab you by the face and order you to go down the twisty turns of the roller coaster with them, but they softly hold your hand and meander alongside you for a nice walk through the park or forest.
Anyhow the character of Hester or Mrs Tim Christie as she is known by her peers and community, gathered from the contents of her diary a seemingly very self conscious self aware woman, to the point of anxiety. I often related t
classic reverie
I would love to read the rest of the Mrs. Tim series, waiting for the Kindle version. I started reading D. E. Stevenson around two years ago and fell in love with her stories, so I decided on Mrs. Tim, which even though there is humor in her other books, it mostly romance that drives the story forward but Mrs. Tim was humor in life and quite abundant. I noticed a quality of looking at life akin to Elizabeth von Arnim's Elizabeth series, which I loved. Being in diary form was not the reason for t ...more
Squeak2017
An ersatz Provincial Lady but without Delafield's wit and self-deprecating humour. Stevenson deftly reveals to the reader but not to the narrator how astonishingly dense Hester is about the effect she herself has on people, just as Tim is deluded about his own perceived superiority. The novel is entertaining but with little development in the characters who are essentially nice people living ordinary upper middle class lives on the edge of their income. Not quite the laugh out loud comedy I had ...more
Bryn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still a fan of D. E. Stevenson, but I'm glad I read this series out of order. If I had started here I might not have read the others. Compared to later Mrs. Tim books, Tim was wholly unlikeable and her friendship with Tony was pretty uncomfortable. I also skimmed a lot of Mrs. Falconer's conversation which I found tedious instead of funny. Still worth reading, though, and I'm looking forward to the last one.
Colleen J
It provides an interesting look at life in Scotland at the time.

Some places were way overdone with adjectives by the dozen that added nothing to the story. A large portion has Hester gadding about with the Major which seemed inappropriate to married Hester.
Lynda
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. Charming. Fun. Laugh-out-loud at times. Wish the succeeding three books were also out again, but I will scour used book stores for them. It's just nice once in awhile to enjoy a book without heavy drama.
ALSO CALLED: MRS TIM OF THE REGIMENT
Liz
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a fun read, written as a diary of a military wife prior to World War II and is based on the author's own life. Want to re-read the rest of the series but am waiting for the second book which I have had to request through Interlibrary loan. Free e-book from the library.
Marcia
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: more-like-this
So enjoyable. On to the next one in the series.
Barbara
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was slightly amusing but I'm not going to continue with the rest of the series.
Pat Cummings
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel by D.E. Stevenson is a sentimental period-piece, set in rural England and Scotland between the wars. The story is told entirely through diary entries in the journal of an Army wife as she copes with the vicissitudes of managing the help, raising her children, and supporting her husband, an officer in an Amy regiment, with his official duties.

The catastrophes of daily life that Mrs. Tim Christie (Hester) encounters are mild things, used chiefly as a way to point out the quirks and idio
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
  • Few Eggs and No Oranges: The Diaries of Vere Hodgson 1940-45
  • One Fine Day
  • Love's Shadow
  • Because Of The Lockwoods
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Her father was a Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable
More about D.E. Stevenson

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Uncertain Season
  • The Odyssey
  • And After the Fire
    $11.49 $1.99
  • The House of Impossible Beauties
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Unsaid
  • The Wake Up
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • No One Can Pronounce My Name
  • Hate List
  • Husbands and Other Sharp Objects
  • Hidden
  • Mystery Walk
  • Galway Bay
    $11.99 $3.99
“Some people travel all over the world and see nothing. They go about clad in a thick fog of their own making through which no impressions can penetrate.” 3 likes
“The strangest thing in all man’s travelling is that he should carry about with him incongruous memories. There is no foreign land; it is the traveller only who is foreign, and now and then, by a flash of recollection, lights up the contrasts of the earth.” 3 likes